3.6
HTC Touch Pro Smartphone

HTC Touch Pro Smartphone

3.6

Versatile and very useful, but battery life is terrible

The phone is indispensable for the number of options and features it packs. Which makes it a device you want to use all the time and for everything on the go. Unfortunately the battery just does not support that kind of usage, unless you have a charging port available at all times. frustrating. For example, Sprint includes free turn by turn directions on their GPS program. But if I'm using that, one 20 min trip in traffic and the battery is already going. leave the ringer volume on and within an hour your battery will be close to drained. have the wifi on and you will drain the battery super fast too. The other problem: the phone gets very hot when charging or talking on the phone. Unless you like a heat pack in your hands, not fun. The HTC touch interface is nice and responsive, but the windows mobile layered on top of that is buggy and slow. Those are the cons.

The pros are many: A touch screen, but then the phone also has a stylus if you need/want more precision, and there is a pullout keypad for quickly typing up emails or documents or text messages. i LOVE LOVE LOVE that keypad. The HTC touch interface has lots of useful utilities/apps built in already, and sprint has added more. If you need esoteric apps this is not the phone, but for everyday things, this phone can do them all and more!

Fun phone if you aren't a heavy user & can charge it twice a day

I am reviewing Alltel's HTC Touch Pro cell phone.  This phone has a lot of neat features, but I find the Touch-Flo interface to be cool looking but inefficient for daily use.  The battery life of the phone for moderate use is about half a day, which is annoying for those of us who leave the house and work all day.

Things I Like:

- Giant touch screen (pretty)

- Slide out QWERTY keyboard (so nice)

- The phone really is gorgeous

- Comes with a fun game called Teeter (very addicting)

- Email is easy to set up and use

- Calendar, tasks, reminders, etc. easily sync with Outlook

- Speaker phone is pretty good

- Opera browser is great

- Has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

Things I Don't Like:

- Need an adapter for headphones, and it's clunky

- Touch screen isn't that accurate, so I am constantly accidentally hitting the wrong button.  I have to use the stylus a lot, would have preferred a more finger-friendly phone.

- Backlight on the keyboard doesn't stay on long enough, and there is no way to change that setting in the phone.  Hitting a key will relight it, but then you have to delete whatever key you hit to get it to light up again.  Not very efficient.

- Text entry suggests words and automatically makes changes.  I tried to shut this feature off to no avail.  This is really frustrating when I am typing specific vocabulary or acronyms that get changed into a different word altogether.  Even simple words get changed:  I type in "perky" and it comes out as "percy".  I don't like having to proof-read my text messages/emails/Facebook comments for words that were automatically changed by the phone.

- No option to get email in real time.  You can set the phone to do an automatic Send/Receive every five minutes, but that slaughters your battery life.

- With the reminders, it is not easy to find out what your phone is reminding you to do.  My phone will go off with the reminder, but when I touch it to find out what the reminder is for, it isn't up on the screen.  I have to go looking for it by touching a tiny little bell at the top of the screen (out comes the stylus), and that bell will then take me to a menu where I can touch another little bell to finally get my reminder.  It takes me a good 30 seconds, when I should be able to just glance at my phone and know what's up.

- Battery life sucks.  Seriously, in this day and age, can't they make a phone that will last for more than 6 hours?  I have had to turn off a lot of the cool features of this phone in hopes of preserving precious battery life (e.g. WiFi, automatic Send/Receive of emails, Bluetooth).  Even surfing the internet is done at the expense of massive amounts of battery life.  I have reset the phone to automatically be in power save mode, I have reduced the screen brightness considerably, etc, and I still have to worry about the battery.  This is a HUGE detractor from owning this phone.

- Phone comes with Opera and Internet Explorer.  Sometimes links open in one, sometimes the other.  I think it's a waste of the phone's resources to have two internet browsers.  Ditch IE already!

- The interface can be confusing.  Am I in Touch Flo, or Windows Mobile?  It's not seamless at all, and sometimes I get "lost" trying to find settings or programs.  (You can change some settings in Touch Flo, some in Windows Mobile, etc.)  If you find something once, there's no guarantee you'll find it again.  The setup is not intuitive at all.

- I have heard that the Verizon version of this phone is seriously crippled in terms of memory.  Alltel's version still has the full 288 MB of memory, but I still have it freeze on me every once in a while.  Annoying when you're just trying to make a quick phone call.

- Overall this phone is really inefficient.  It takes way too long to make a phone call or respond to a text message.  There are multiple steps involved in each process that is hindered rather than helped by the Touch Flo interface.

I was really craving this phone for a long time, and I am very disappointed in it for its lack of day-to-day usability.  This phone is all flash and no substance.

Sweet phone, works well

from New York, NY

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

I have had this phone for more than three years. So many new versions have come out and iphone competes with newer apps. I have not downloaded any apps and tried once and didn't succeed. But it works well. Love the stylist and the separate keyboard. LOVE THE PHOTOGRAPHS IT CAN TAKE.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Why must you always freeze?

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

I needed to get a smart phone asap for my financial services business.  Since it was time for my upgrade with AT&T, I decided to get this phone...guess why?...because it was free of course!  My main complaint is the phone freezes all the time and the screen blanks out so much while I am making calls.  The blanked out screen is really inconvenient in this menu crazed automated world where you have to press options for customer service.

Likes:  easy to sync to my computer to load application for business

able to talk and search other applications, including internet at the same time

pretty easy to use

Dislikes: screen timouts when talking

OK phone bad network

from Fort Campbell, KY

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

The phone is ok, not worth the amount paid but ok, the network it is on i think causes it alot of problems, atnt that is. htc customer service is great, atnt is not, so get this phone on another network and you may be great, love the slide out keyboard and all the aps, and like the touch screen but locking it sucks. Has an ok speaker phone, and has bluetooth, not very heavy, could be a bit smaller width wise, you can play your music, and has expandable memory that is above the battery, its charger is universal with most phones, used in on my camera, magellen gps, motorolla phones etc, i like the usb charge feature, works well when im on my laptop on the road if my outlets are full. You can download the tag reader for it, used it a few times but again with atnt's network it sucks, does need a better camera and video, it does have a light you can turn on for dark places but ill stick with my camera for pics for now, takes too long for focus and dont catch any movement at all.

A very user friendly and powerfull mobile device

from Tyler, TX

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

The HTC or also called the HTC Touch pro by another carrier is an extremely powerfull and user friendly windows mobile smart phone. This phone can do it all. It has a 3.0 megapixel camera, a full querty keyboard as well as a T9 and querty touch screen keyboard. It also has a huge adress book which holds tons of numbers. the touch screen is very nice and also the built in g sensor senses the rotation of the phone exceptionally well. Touch flo 3D, HTC's signature application for their smart phone line is included specificly for the htc Fuze. I especially enjoy this feature it has many multitasking apps all built into it and a slider that effortlessly slides along screen. The phone comes with two browsers for internet that can handle both html and mobile sites. Internet explorer and opera. It supports 3G and Wi-Fi connections including bluetooth capabilities, camcorder, radio and much much more.

For full details visit AT&t's website to get more information.

while the phone may be expensive i guaranty its well worth it.

good phone but needs improvement

from Ripley, WV

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

I recently bought the htc fuze when I upgraded my at&t plan. When I received the htc  fuze phone, I thought it was wonderful. It has a touch screen and full qwerty keyboard. It has windows mobile 6.1, free apps, great camera, games, wifi, navigator, push-to-talk, video share calling, and other great stuff. After having the phone for about a week, I decided I didn't like it, and returned it. The problems with the phone was that is was way too bulky, the screen was a dust magnet, it froze when I would open and close the qwerty keyboard. It also had a very small screen so it was almost impossible to see anything. This phone needs to be improved by making it unbulky and a bigger screen.

HTC Fuze Rocks!

from Searcy, AR

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

I have been using the HTC Fuze for about 5-6 months now and I really think it's a great phone! The first thing I love about it is the slide out keypad and how the keys are popping out to where you can feel the distinctiveness of each key. I has so many features, just like any PDA with Windows Mobile 6.1 but the way the features are laid out is very accessible and once you get used to a PDA you can't get rid of it.

The camera takes pretty good pictures - i have a cat and a bunch of kids and all the pictures that I have taken are pretty clear.

The only drawback that I have found so far is the fact that the phone is kind of slow at times and it takes a little while to respond. But this only happens when the device has been overloaded with tasks and is trying to open a bunch of programs at the same time and perform various things at one.

The way to solve it is to regularly go to the very right top corner to the drop box and cancel the previous activities and programs that you used earlier.

Addicted to my phone

from Nederland, TX

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

I purchaced an Att HTC Fuze in Feburary.  The first thing about this phone is that there is soo much to it.  I loved the fact that I would be playing and learning new things about this phone all the time.  The only thing I hate about this phone is that it never rings enough for me to answer it.  by the time the caller receives their 5th ring and the call is going to voicemail my phone is actually receiving its first ring.  but only rings 1/2 a ring.  I miss all calls.  I have called ATT 2 times already.  The first time they transferred me to HTC and they said basically oh well this is how the phone is.  The second time the ATT rep sd she changed my voicemail pick up time.  Meaning that my voicemail wont pick up til the 7-8th ring.  This still dont help.  This one issue makes this phone so furstrating.  I have tried to research the issue online and have had no sucess. There are others who have the same issue and have no way to correct the issue.

great phone almost

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

As a phone it was WONDERFUL while it functioned. However it froze when downloading new apps... one day it stopped working altogether and they stopped making it due to functionality problems. it was unable to be replaced... was great... but not fixable...

Battery Life
Battery life less than desirable got about an hour of streaming use or talk time about 2 hours.. not good for work use

Display/Screen Quality
fairly decent screen...

Call Quality
clarity good if have a nice provider

was easy to use... LOVE the stylus and the qwerty keyboard hidden under is slick. the ability to actually write on screen and then write words that turned to type was amazing

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Good phone

from Bangor, ME

Comments about HTC Touch Pro Smartphone:

The HTC touch pro smartphone is my first smart phone. I've never used iphone or others so can't compare. What drew me to the phone was the resolution - it is fantastic. And since I have taken some AMAZING photos on the phone which you wouldn't believe are phone photos! I like the weather options and the display for it - especially when it rains, the windshield goes across. Text message ofcourse is fine. Like how you can save contacts and add pictures for each. Appreciate the many ring options. It comes with headphones and you can also save a lot of music. You can add a card with greater memory if needed. It has a stylus and a lovely, LOVELY keyboard which can stay closed and not get dirty. But poor battery life, the more you use it!

Versatile and very useful, but battery life is terrible