Other Smartphones:

HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone

Pros

Cons

T-Mobile's G1 is out of date but still awesome

T-Mobile's G1 made by HTC was the very first phone with Google's Android OS available in the US. Because of that it will always have a special place in tech history. It was the first to genuinely challenge Apple's iPhone in its ability to genuinely browse the internet - pretty much the way you're used to on a computer, it's big touch screen, and its growing market of apps.

So how good is this phone? That depends on what you're comparing it to - other smartphones, the Apple iPhone, or other Android phones.

Obviously, it can't really compare to the newer Android phones, although it does have a thing or two that still work in its favor. Its slide-out qwerty keyboard is, in fact, one of the best ones available. I never thought I'd care about having a slide-out keyboard at all, but it's become a huge selling point for me. And this one is still better than a lot of newer slide-out keyboards in that it's just easier to navigate. The keys are just the right size and are raised from the surface just enough that you can easily type by touch. That can become a big deal even if you hardly ever text because of some of the apps. Also in its favor is that it's made by HTC, which does have a very good reputation.

But even the best brands can produce a lemon now and again and I got one. Fortunately T-Mobile has very good customer service and they rapidly sent me a new one. Or - new to me, anyway. Turns out it was a refurbished phone which had an even worse flaw that the original one! So right away they sent me a third actually *new* phone. So far it's been fine. Here's hoping it stays that way!

Comparing the G1 to the iPhone... is hard. To be fair you'd have to compare it to the iPhone that was out when the G1 was released. In those terms they come out fairly equal, with each being better in some ways and worse in others. Though I think the area the G1 comes out the worst is in styling. It is not a pretty phone. It's kind of bulky and heavy and has this odd tilt-y thing going on at the bottom. On the other hand, it is available on the T-Mobile network which is so very much more affordable than any other network. (Reception can be spotty, depending on where you live. When I lived in a medium-sized city I had no trouble at all. But T-Mobile is another issue entirely.)

Comparing the G1 to any other smartphone... well there the G1 has to be the winner. I mean seriously. But that's really all about the Android OS. Android provides a real internet browsing experience that only the iPhone can rival. It automatically comes with Google Maps and connects you to your gmail account. If you don't have one already, you will have to create one. But you can do that right from your Android phone - they make it quite easy. The other thing is, of course, the apps. Now, lots of phones, even non-smartphones can get apps of some sort. But the real selling point is the Android *Market.* There is just a massive number of apps available, many of which are free (I've gone through tons of apps and have never paid a cent for any of them.) And there are some seriously useful apps out there. But I have to say that the iPhone wins the Market battle - for now. Android is rapidly gaining ground. And since Android is available on a variety of different phones, it shouldn't be too long before the Android market share is bigger than Apple's. And that's what drives the creation of apps.

Unfortunately apps is a bit of a weak point for the G1 when comparing it to other Android phones, in that it doesn't have much space to store them. Granted, I have more apps on my phone than the average bear (25 in addition to the 25+ apps that come standard on the phone), but if I want to get a new app I have to make room by deleting one or two I already have. And, as with all Android phones (until recently), you can only store apps in the ROM space, not on your SD card. (Newer phones that are running Android OS 2.2 (nicknamed "Froyo") and up now have the ability to store apps on an SD card, but the G1 doesn't have the specs necessary to upgrade to 2.2, so it will never have that ability.)

The G1's inability to upgrade to Android OS 2.2 results in another downside: No Flash. Android 2.2 is the first smartphone operating system that can utilize Flash with websites - so all those Facebook games that use Flash (which is pretty much all of them) and the tons of other sites that use Flash, won't load properly on the G1. But they won't on the iPhone either.

Other downsides to the phone include: a worse than average camera for a high end phone - no camera flash and generally dark and blurry photos, mediocre voice quality (my mother claims it's incredibly tinny, but she's not that used to how cell phones sound), mediocre battery life (for a smartphone, it's not that bad - but you may want to have a car charger with you just in case), and the notorious single port. The headphone/ear bud does not have its own port and needs an adapter to be plugged into the charge port. Personally this doesn't bother me at all, since they give you the adapter with the phone. Just leave it plugged into the ear bud/head set cable - what's the difference?

Ultimately, this is a great phone and I love it. It's not perfect, but I think the up sides more than make up for the down sides. ... But I'd probably love a more up to date Android phone even more. It is all about the Android.

good first android phone, but not an iPhone killer

I have had this phone for a while now, and for the most part it is a great phone. When it first came out, nobody had the specifications it had on an Android device. The camera was great, although it was fairly slow and produced mediocre video. It has GPS which works great with Google Navigate and maps. The capacitive touchscreen is very similar to the iPhone, despite it being a little smaller. The main thing it had over the competition was the dual touch screen keyboard combo. The keyboard is a must if you text a lot. It is a lot faster and the feedback is nice when you can not stare at the screen (for example - walking and texting - although not recommended) with the keyboard compared to the touch screen.

Although the keyboard is awesome, it is also one of its downfall. This extra keyboard makes it heavy and clunky compared to other phones such as the iPhone. The marketplace is not as mature as the iPhone so there will not be as much apps. Furthermore, Android stop supporting this phone with newer updates such as 2.1 and 2.2 due to the hardware. The only way to install newer updates such as 2.1 is to root the device and hope some nice hacker releases a ROM to install it (luckily they have, but its still annoying having to wait for the latest and greatest).

Overall, Google and HTC made a big splash with Android when this first came out, but I would recommended a newer generation Android phone or iPhone due to the improved speed and improved hardware. Even if you are thinking about buying it used, spend the extra money on a newer device - it's a much better investment.

G1- good android option

from New York, NY

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

I'm not a total luddite but when a friend hands me their blackberry I have no idea how to navigate through their various menu systems. Also I don't find a single button on an iphone to be particularly intuitive. Since google runs just about every other aspect of my life, when upgrading to a smart phone the natural choice was to go with a phone with an android platform and I liked that the G1 had the full keyboard so that typing messages doesn't make me feel like I need to go on a finger diet. I like the operating system a lot. However, this phone doesn't feel as sturdy as I thought it would when typing. The plastic casing creeks a little bit and the battery life isn't optimal. I take this phone with me traveling internationally and swap out the SIM card with no problems. I love that any contact I add in remains even when I switch out the SIM cards- this means I never lose numbers (which are also backed up on my google contacts).

I love my poor, old phone

from Chicago, IL

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

A true pioneer, and one of the last great phones to proudly rock a physical keyboard (who needs swype when you can feel those lovely keys just rolling under your thumbs...), the G1 proved Android's supriority over the evil phone-which-shall-not-be-named. It will kick my husband's Vibrant's piss-poor compass any day with its near-perfect GPS. Force me not to design a security path to make a simple phone call, rather grant me a simple one-key unlock (blessed 'menu' key, you'll never fail me).

I love my G1. But the poor bastard is just that at this point- an unsupported, 'fatherless' device, feeling no love from T-Mobile or the greater Android development community. Is this how we treat our elders?! Is this how we abandon those who paved the Android path we now so greedily take for granted?! Go ahead- discontinue OTA upgrades for my beloved G1. Move on to your fancy, sexy Samsung Vibrant, or whatever the slut calls herself. I know the G1's value.

Very good...for some months

from Media, PA

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

The first, unprecendented, Google phone (G1) was amazing at first, it had an awesome design, it was fast...for a few months. Unlike the blackberry that i had previously, the trackball didn't wear off and not work. The touch screen capibility was good, and the internet was pretty fast.

The applications it had weren't AS great than Apple store of applications for the iPhone. However, it does have it's own store which a lot of applications.

The Google phone will be something you really like for 3-6 months, then after that you will get annoyed by it frequently.

Due to it's brick-like desgin, it doesn't really fit in small pockets, nor phone pockets on the strap of backpacks. It has a part for the graphics card and the slot "door" if you will can be ripped off very easily, and when that comes off the graphics card falls off easily too. Not to mention how the charging slot has a "door" that can be ripped off easily too.

Lastly, the skin of the phone changed colors for me to a purple-ish color on the edges, and the worst of all the skin started to peel off at certain areas making it ugly to look at.

LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEE the G1.

from 92316

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

I LOVE this phone. I'm currently using it right now, and I have to say it's the best phone I've used so far. The screen is large enough to see everything, and the keyboard is quick and easy to come accustomed to. The phone runs quite smoothly for me, with a lag here and there. The camera takes clear and precise pictures, with the mistake that there's no flash. :( The market includes many apps you can choose from, some of which are useful to daily life and tasks. The bad side to the phone is the fact that the memory is small. You can only take so many pictures and have videos on your phone. Also, the pictures may come out blurry sometimes, and it takes more than one picture to get the PERFECT shot. The sound of the phone calls and Youtube videos are really loud, and you can of course lower to fit your standards. There's not really much to say about this phone, except that it's super awesome, and ANDROID rules. (:

Fine for the first of its kind!

from Providence, RI

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

This G1 is nice. It is the first android phone. If there was no android than most phones would be nothing. This was my first phone. It has no flash for the camera. it has no zoom. it has glitches but remember its the first android. Its fast speed is very good!

First Ever Android Phone

from Lawton, OK

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

This was the first phone to introduce the popular mobile OS known as android. It is a reliable piece of hardware and if you are willing to root this phone you can get some really good software for it.

Been using my G1 for almost 3 years now.

from Kissimmee, FL

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

My husband bought a G1 for me for Valentine's Day almost 3 years ago, I am still using it almost 3 years later.  I've had to replace it once, but it was under warranty.  That was about 2 years ago and it's still going strong.  I like that it has a slide keyboard rather then an on-screen keyboard.  You can type a lot in a small amount of time.  I have never had or used an Iphone so I can't compare the 2, but I would buy another G1 anyday.

great phone

from Ontario, CA

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

the g1 is a great phone it has the touch screen and the keyboard its a droid so i love the market place feature all the apps are good its not to big nor to small all around have no complaints but the camera screeen could be bigger

The G1 has been a great crossover/intro to the android age phone

from Stafford, TX

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

The G1 android cellular phone by T-mobile, introduced as one of the first of its kind, has many features that are still fresh and usable even after the introduction of its replacement, the G2.

The G1 provides the communication tools you need right in the palm your hand. A single touch allows for immediate access to Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk and Google Calenda. This phone also has the features to get you where you need to go quickly withstreet, traffic and satellite views  with Google Maps.

The screen of the phone gives the user a 3.2” display that is bright and clear! The keyboard slides up smoothly revealing an easy to use full QWERTY pad so the user can communicate quickly and with ultimate ease!

G1 gives a great browsing experience for its users. It has  a multiple paged window and allows the user to  surf several websites at the same time. Users can move pages around with their fingers to go from one link or textbox to another with the smooth actioned trackball mounted in a convenient position for the users thumb.

The G1 also offers an instant notification bar that alerts its users when any assigned method of communication arrives. Emails, text messages, other applications, and download notices pop up either silently or with their own assigned ringtones!

Overall, the G1 is a great tool for the person on the go since it has multiple applications to fill any business, communication, or travel need a user may have. It is also family friendly because of the ever increasing number of apps from the android market store which has games, charts, graphics, music, and many other tools that a user of any age would find to be useful!

~the Giotto

G1 was good in its day; now outdated

from Houston, TX

Comments about HTC Dream/T-Mobile Smartphone:

I bought the T-Mobile G1 cellular phone about a year after it came out. That way, it was a cheaper price and many bugs were fixed. I liked the phone when I first got it. This was my first smart phone, as I previously struggled with the additional monthly cost of a data plan.  There have been two major instances when having a smart phone came in very handy.  I cannot say, though, that those two instances justify the additional monthly cost.

Based on my experience with the T-Mobile G1 cellular phone, I DO plan to get the next "generation," the T-Mobile G2 phone. I hope that it has the following improvements over the G1:  bigger screen, longer-lasting battery, more internal memory.

One major flaw with my G1 is that the touch screen does not work about half of the time. This was due to a mistake on my part that I will not repeat with any future cell phones.

I recommend the Google family of phones because of the great integration with other google features: maps, email, voice.