2.7

2.7

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

HSBC master card offers credit to most

The HSBC master card is a card that most people with below average to high credit history can get.  It is a good card to have to work on rebuilding your credit.  They offer you credit increases every six months as long as you make your payments on time.  The interest rate on the card is usually medium to high because they offer it to people with not so good of credit.  The credit limit usually starts of lower then other credit cards and that is also because they offer it to high risk population.  The positive attributes of this card is that an avarage person who is in need can get a master card and have the protection of credit in his or her wallet if in need.  The company shows to care for all people and not just for ones who have excellent credit history.  They also send you little mailers with your bills with offers such as free gifts yoiu only pay for the shipping and handling.  Overall The HSBC master card is a good tool for average people who might want to re establish their credit and need the extra protection in their pocket.

HSBC MasterCard is Acceptable, but There are Better Cards

Credit cards are similar in terms of what most of them offer. The qualities that set them apart nowadays seem to be rewards and customer service. One credit card I have used and found acceptable is the HSBC Bank MasterCard.

Credit Card Facts and Commentary:

HSBC Bank MasterCard is issued by HSBC, the financial institution that bills itself as the “world’s local bank.” The reason they refer to themselves this way is because HSBC has a worldwide presence, but it has branch offices around the world that give it the quality and feel of a local bank.

My experience with the HSBC Bank MasterCard comes from a business standpoint and I have found the credit card just as useful as any credit card that carries the MasterCard label. The customer service with the HSBC Bank MasterCard is okay, but I have had issues with the company failing to refund a credit balance on the account. The credit balance on one of our company Mastercards sat there for a long time before the people at HSBC finally sent me the money. They kept saying a check was on its way, but it was quite some time before I saw the money.

One other advantage with the HSBC Bank MasterCard is its reward points. All purchases earn reward points, which can be redeemed later for merchandise. We have used these points to get items used for employees, as incentives. And since we pay off the balance quickly, there is no interest charged to the account, even though the fee is a little steep if you get a corporate account.

Bottom Line Viewpoint:

Judging credit cards often comes down to rewards and customer service and the HSBC Bank MasterCard earns good marks for rewards and average marks for customer service. I find it an okay credit card overall and my bottom line on this credit card is that it should work for most people, but there are better credit cards available.

Customer Service
Most experiences with customer service have been okay, but I have had some issues with them.

Generous credit line on a decent card

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

I had my HSBC Platinum MasterCard for many years before I ended up getting rid of most of my credit cards. HSBC didn't make the cut because it didn't have any rewards. What I did like about the card, however, was that it had no annual fee and a very generous credit line. These were big factors for me because my credit was not great when I first applied for this card. I never had any problems with this card whatsoever. They gave credit limit increases regularly and frequently. I had an average interest rate and paid more than the minimum payments each month. I did not expect to qualify for a nice rewards card with my credit, but I gave the card an 8 since it did not have any rewards. I would recommend this card to anyone who doesn't have stellar credit and is looking for a card with no annual fee and a generous credit limit. I know that HSBC has since had some bad publicity, but I would still feel comfortable applying for another card from their bank in the future.

HSBC credit card

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

I would give the HSBC credit card a ten because I have had it since 2007 and have had no problems with it. I have a rewards credit card that accumulates quickly. HSBC offered me a promotion that would double my points if I spent so much in one month. Because I bought my braces in that month, I got the double points! They mailed me a check within two weeks of my requesting it.

Customer Service
The customer service department is good but does take time to get your account unlocked if you type the passwords incorrectly three times. They are thorough in collecting information to verify that you are the user.

Available Rates
If I needed to access the rates, it is easy to find. Credit card APR rates are on my statement as well as online. I bypass the high rates by paying my credit card before the end of the month. I would not want to pay 19% on what I owe. I can earn rewards on my spending and build credit at the same time by paying my bill on time.

HSBC Bank Master Card

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

I absolutely hate this bank and credit card. The reason I say that is because I have had more than one horrible, time-consuming, almost impossible attempt to get to the website to access my account. The password and security questions would not allow me to get into the website. Therefore, I had to call customer service versus doing all account activity on line.

Customer Service
Frankly, it took forever to get the service I needed. There is only one, I repeat, one telephone number to call in regard to getting access to your account. No matter what I did, I had a 45 to 60 minutes WAIT on hold to get to a customer service agent. Then, because of this being an international bank, I was ferreted to an outsourced customer service vendor who, frankly, did not understand the vernacular of the United States. It was an extremely trying experience because I could not get into my account online.

Available Rates
The rates available are horrible. Way too high! It was because of the rate change that I CLOSED my credit card account with HSBC. They jacked up my rate when, in fact, I was a long-term customer, I paid my credit card on time and was not delinquent on the account. The percentage rate for interest was raised 8 percentage points and that is totally unacceptable for paying my credit card bill ON TIME. Why should one be PUNISHED for paying their bill on time? My rate was not lowered even though I was and always had paid my bill on time. Their interest rate of 23.99% is totally unacceptable.

This card sucks.

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

Card was cancelled for no good reason and no one could provide a good explanation. Just kept saying it's automatic when the card isn't used for 3-4 months. Makes no sense. Card was fully paid off so it is pointless to try and be a responsible card holder and only use credit when absolutely necessary, when the company forces you to use it or cancel it.

HSBC MasterCard is Acceptable, but There are Better Cards

from Houston, TX

Credit Card Facts and Commentary:

Bottom Line Viewpoint:

• Available Rates:

disapointed with new increase in finance charges on HSBC card

from Wilkes Barre, PA

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

I"m a two year or more member with HSBC credit card company, direct merchant to be exact. I carry a balance, not to high, but around $2,000. This card has had the lowest APR of all the cards I carry. So of course it would be the one I use most often to make purchases. Recently I have been hearing stories and people talking about these companies raising APR on card members. I always pay early and pay more than the minimum. Most of the time I pay double the amount due. Today I recieved a letter from HSBC informing me that are raising my APR starting in October. ( WOW thanks for the 5 day notice) On all balances and future purchases. This is frustrating, we are all in one way or another struggling financialy and this is a sad way for these million dollar credit card companies to  make MORE money, go after the people NOT paying on time, or are behind with there bill. Why does the the good guy, the ones that pay on time have to be penilized for being a good customer. I can of course opt out, BUT than my card will be canceled and I will have to pay it in full.

I will tell you that I will be opening the numerous creit card offers I recieve on  a daily basis and read them over and transfer my balance to a lower rate card. Anyone know of a good company with a low APR on balance transfers, and that could be for at least a year?

HSBC is not helpful

from Mount Morris, MI

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

HSBC Credit Card was the worst credit card I have ever gotten.  I never missed a payment but they raised the interest rate to a very high 26.9%.  When I called to complain they said that it was market rates and I should have opted out.  I did not know what that meant but it was too late anyway.  When I threatened to just file bankruptcy they said do what I wanted because there was nothing that they could do to help me.  I decided to stop using it and just make payments until I can pay it off.  Recently they lowered my credit limit which I could care less.  They really made me mad when they would not accept phone payment without a $15.00 charge therefore making my payment late and forcing me to pay a $30.00 late charge because their internet site takes 2 business days to process.  They are the  most customer unfriendly card and I tell all my friends to stay away from it.  I can't wait to pay it off and never deal with them again!

Great to have easy to get in trouble with--high rates.

from Palmerton, PA

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

This credit card company just about jumped at me when I needed a few extra bucks. Then when I had a death in the family I called them. I told them that I would be a day late with the planned payment in full. Everything seemed fine.

A day late. I Paid the account in full. Next time I signed into my account online. I was informed that my account had been closed.

This was the first time that I was late on this card. It had went a DAY past 60 days late. If they don't have a heart for someone burying someone. ESPECIALLY someone that called and was honest BEFORE anything was late. I have lost all respect for this card company.

HSBC could do better

from Powell, TN

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

HSBC uses unfair practices in how they charge late and over the limit fees. They take longer than others to give credit for payments. I have sometimes paid online on the day due but then charged a late fee because of the delay in giving me the credit. What makes it even worse is that the credit was given before the actual closing date. I think it is really unfair to charge a late fee it the payment is made before closing even if it is not right on the due date. If I make a payment to capital one by 3pm I get credit for it that day and any charges are taken after the credit is given even if they were made first. For example I used my card at 10 am to get gas and it was for more than the available credit but went home and made a payment online and the charge was covered.

It is also unfair to charge an over the limit fee when the thing that made the account go over the limit is the finance charges or the unfair over the limit fee. Soon to be free of HSBC

Run away...do not walk away

from Tawas City, MI

Comments about HSBC Bank - MasterCard:

Whatever you do when you see an offer for a HSBC Platinum Master Card, run, do not walk away. The usual credit card complaints apply - ridiculous interest rate hikes, enigmatic fees, random charges to the account etc.

But the kicker is the Account Seccure "option". Though "optional" it sounds like a good idea, especially during these times, to take advantage of a safety net when offered. Amongst other features this service offers payment protection in case of involuntary unemployment. The problem with this particular feature is two-fold.

Once you file a benefit claim not only does HSBC raise your interest rate (in my case from 9% to 24%) the Account Seccure that happens to be an affiliated, independent company blatantly refuses to pay. Even after you submit all requested documents, jump though a few hoops and stand on your head while whistling the Stars n Stripes, in perfect tone, through your anal exhaust system.

So for lack of a better phrase...it's a scam. And I hope that whoever finds this review will be very cautious when dealing with these knucleheads.