View more all in one printers

3.5
Other All-In-One Printers:
HP
C4280
HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer

HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer

3.5

The HP C4280 is a great solution for several needs!

I really appreciate having one component to do my printing and scanning. The quality of prints is good, but is not quite as fast as I would have hoped for. The scanner is quick and easy to use. The only drawback on the scanner is the size. It would be nice to have a legal sized scanning area, but it's only big enough for letter sized paper. Having seperate black and white or color copies at a touch of a button (without needing the computer on) is a nice feature.

I really like the calibration procedure for the scanner, where it prints the test page then you scan it. This helps the printer align the print heads.

Another nice feature is the built in card reader on the front. It allows you to print directly from a memory card or download the pictures to your computer.

Overall, the HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-One Inkjet Printer is a great solution for those who need a flatbed scanner, but don't have the space for a printer and a scanner.

Another decent, "Luck of the Draw", printer from Hewlett Packard

In typical HP fashion, the HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-One InkJet Printer offers as much, or more frustration as it does pleasure from a printer. Technically, an "All In One", but is it really? In my opinion, HP puts more emphasis on annoyances and problems for the customer than they do on quality. Sadly, most companies currently manufacture products that are designed to be obsolete or inoperable within a year and this is terrible waste and bad for our environment and this should definitely change but for now, I'll tell you what you can expect with this printer combo.

The HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-One InkJet Printer offers good quality document printing, decent photo and scanned images, very slow copied items and a memory card reader but there are problems. One or more of these features may or may not work and a printer with a frontal USB connection is much better at retrieving information from your digital media plus it is quite loud. As i mentioned before, these are problematic with most printers today but this is not the main problem I have with HP products. The number one annoyance is in the installation of the products on your system and the difficulty in remedying problems you encounter. ***Avoid simply installing by agreeing to each question during the installation process!***

HP seems to have an insistence that the printer "must" start when your computer is turned on ... It Does Not! Equally, their insistence that you need twelve different processes running "Always", is Not True. Your system will be bogged down with multiple and continually running items which takes up valuable memory unless you monitor the installation. Choosing to, "Not" participate in automatic updates or customer polls, will not make the printer fail. Additionally, their website support is normally a dizzying array of confusion and is unnecessary and so I recommend a solution. Either telephone them direct or use the instant chat feature.

I personally prefer the chat because I am able to maintain my composure from their attempt at avoiding the issues. Keep them on the chat line and ask every question you need to resolve the issues no matter the length of time ... and it may take a few but the benefit is that you will gain valuable insight into the things needed for future issues. Finally, ***Learn to refill your own ink cartridges ! ***There is absolutely no reason the pay a similar mount for replacement cartridges as you did for the entire printer and as long as we do it, they will get away with it and our planet will suffer. Youtube "How to refill ink cartridges" and use gloves. :)

Buyer Beware, HP Doesn't Care!!!

from Warwick, RI

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

Print 10 pages, printer quits, clean contacts and try again.  Print 3 pages printer quits, cleancontacts AGAIN and retry.....and AGAIN.....and AGAIN.  This is the third straight printer of this molel that has been a piece of junk!  I GIVE UP because HP clearly has NO intention of solving what is clearly a DESIGN FLAW aimed solely at making them more money.  I am sick to death of begging HP for a solution and getting told everything's my fault.  The first time one of the clips sheared off holding the black ink cartridge in place..."my fault,"  then it happened to a friend...same s&@t different consumer.  Thanks a bundle HP.  Second printer, mysteriously just quit completely; again "my fault," according to HP, just buy another one.  Yhird printer, see all pf above problems.....get baseball bat and "fix printer" for once-and-for-all.  I plan to pick out a different brand, fast.  Buyer beware, HP printers are the worst choice out there!!!

I't dead, gone and been recycled because it didn't even last 12 lousy months. This is the 3rd HP all-in-one series and they've all suffered the exact same fate-a deplorably short lifespan and excessively expensive inks. They're a BAD deal in every way!

Copy Quality
jammed constantly, feeder issues, clumpy ink issues-overall ROTTEN

Ink/Paper Use
even with high quality, extremely expensive paper, still constant misfeeds, grabbing multiple sheets at one time

ink doesn't last, especially based on the outrageous pricing

jams, miksfeeds, ink cartridge failures too frequent, poor construction of printer as a whole

unacceptably short lifespan-breaks way too easily due to poor design,failure to address design flaws and shoddy materials and workmanship

an ugly tan brick, especially compared to the awesome Epson which replaced it

• Copy Quality:
  • Ink/Paper Use:

I have never had so many problems!

from Clifton, NJ

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

I had a HP printer before and loved it. It was a 3 in one as well. One day it broke, and so I went to get a new one. I figured I would stick with HP because I liked them. but this printer has problems everyday. When I go to put a new cartridge in, it aligns...and then the next time I go to use it I have to align the whole thing AGAIN. it's very annoying. Their picture program for printing off pictures is the worst. I thought being a new model they would have made update and improvements but they seemed to have made it worse!

Best printer, less ink usage than any by far!!!

from Secretary, MD

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

Purchased this HP to go with Dell computer after spending alot of time trying to decide whether to go with another Dell printer.  However, the excessive cost of Dell ink cartridges and finding that the generic ones just weren't as good set me on a path to find a more economical printer.  I found it in the HP Photosmart.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  One of the best features is the capability of making copies.  Also scans and, as the model name implies, can do whatever I want to with photos.  I highly recommend this printer!!

great printer, quiet, fast, fun to use!

from Owings Mills, MD

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

This printer is wonderful. You can print, copy and scan. It has card slots for your camera cards (pic bridge capable). It is very quiet when printing.  The color quality is excellent. Small in size, but packs a powerful punch.  We bought this on sale, but it is well worth the full retail price.  Replacement cartriges are very reasonable and you can buy them in multi-packs.

Love it

from Deer Park, TX

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

HP has been the best brand of printers for me. The cartridges last long, prints in color come out great, and I've had no problems. I've always usually stayed with HP except a couple of times I decided to try others. They couldn't compare to an HP printer. I never had one single problem with any HP printer. This particular one has been great too. It scans good, the quality of print is great, it's fast and it's quiet. The price is very reasonable and the cartridges are about standard price. You can find other brand cartridges for lower price but I still stay with the HP brand because they are just better for me. I don't mind paying a little more for the cartridges because they last a really long time.

This HP all in one is good

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

This HP all in one printer is a great printer. The quality of the printing is excellent. Something I realized after I bought it was that it does not have a fax function, so therefore it is not literally an all in one. The copy function is also flawed as you have to copy one page at a time. Also, the scanner is very difficult to operate. That being said, the quality of print on all functions is excellent. Another annoying factor is that apparantly you MUST use genuine HP cartridges. I bought remanufactured cartridges from 1-2-3 Inkjets. Half of them would not seat properly and the other half would read almost empty on the "ink meter" as I call it. With genuine HP cartridges the ink monitor woks perfectly, and is a great assist in knowing how much ink you have when starting a big print job. There is nothing more frustrating than running out of ink in the middle of a rush print job and this function helps prevent that. All and all a good product for the money: however I would reccomend poping a few extra bucks and buying an office jet instead.

The HP C4280 is a great solution for several needs!

from Irving, TX

HP C4280 Ink Eater!

from Kennewick, WA

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

I bought this printer awhile ago, and I liked a lot of the features that it had- I really like the scan/copy feature so I can just lay something on the scanner bed and make a copy with out having a computer hooked up to it. I thought I would use the chip card reader/printer- but it was such a pain to try and get it to work that I just gave up and I have never used it. If i want to print a picture I just use my computer's chip card reader. The quailty of the printing is good- and the price for the whole unit was good- but I have found out very quickly that this machine eats ink!!!! I go through a lot of ink cartridges (I like to print photos), and even buying refill cartridges still can get expensive (and they do not seem to have as much ink in them as HP cartridges). If you are looking for a printer to do it all- this will do the job- but find a different one if you plan on printing alot of things!

Not Bad if you just print documents

from Marietta, GA

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

This printer isn't bad if you just print documents and maybe photos for casual use. If you are printing photos for framing and such, this printer isn't for you. However, I have never had a problem with this printer. It has been very reliable and has many uses. It does almost everything: print, scan, and copy. I typically print documents with this printer on "fast print" mode, and it gets me prints very quickly. The paper loading design is smart along with an extendable arm that will keep the paper from shooting out all over the place when it prints out your document. The scanner is high quality and good enough to scan almost anything. The small media card slots are also useful at times but not necessary. The refill ink cartridges are reasonably priced so this is a good printer to keep for the long term. The cartridges are still easy to find everywhere. The printer isn't too big and fits on almost any desk.

Okay product

from Corydon, IN

Comments about HP Photosmart All-In-One Printer:

I have owned this product for about 2 years and I'm not impressed with it.  I have owned other hp printers and this is my least favorite.  I was excited to buy the all in one printer thinking that it would work good for pictures since it is a photosmart printer but I don't think it prints good quality pictures.  Also, when tryig to print documents, it always feeds my paper in crooked.  I have tried and tried to fix this problem but nothing has worked and the paper always ends up a little crooked.  I find it easier to use the other printer I have than to mess with this one.  The only good thing about it is the scanner.  It seems to work pretty good.  I don't know if I got a "bad" product or what but I don't like this printer.  I don't even use it to print pictures or documents.  I have had it for a while but I think the price was about the same as the other printers in the same class.  I guess next time I'll spend a little more money and hopefully get a better printer.