View more laptops

HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

HP PAVILLION DV7 IS THE BEST LAPTOP, EVER!

My HP Pavillion dv7 is the best computer that I have ever had.  This is my 3rd laptop but my first HP product  The cutomer service is unsurpassed.  The Webcam is a joy to be able to talk to my family, keeps them home and not at my house!  Since they can actually SEE me, they don't make so many interupting visits.

I chose the Aluminum Colored Keys, instead of the usual black keys and they are easier to see at night with the light emitting from the 16" monitor.

It was the easiest laptop to set up to my wireless modem.  One phone call to my provider at it was done.

My laptop has a numeric numbers pad located on the right hand side of the laptops keyboard.  For a person, like me, who does online banking, paying bills and entering my prices for selling on eBay is a HUGE time-saver.

This particular laptop could use a couple more USB PORTS.  Mine has 4.  Everyone wishes for more USB PORTS sooner or later.

INSTANT DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET IN CASE OF VIRUS EMERGENCY.  INSTANT SILENCE MODE TO HEAR IF THE DOG WANTS BACK IN.  Both are done at the touch of the light located at the top of the keyboard.

My battery life is approximately 6-7 hours, which is very good.

The laptop case has the HP emblem that lights up when the computer is on....No more forgetting to turn off the computer when I go to bed at night.

To sum it all up, you are not making a mistake with this HP Pavillion dv7.  It will not disappoint you.

HP Pavilion did not make the cut.

When I bought the computer I adored it.  There are many pros for this laptop, but the cons so far outweigh them.

The good...Read complete review

The good things, It's quick.  There is a TON of memory available.  It's very portable, I stick it in my purse most times (though I do tend to carry large purses).  It's very user friendly, easy to use easy to set up.

Now here are the reasons why I have to admit my mistake in buying this product.

The fan is the most obnoxious noise ever.  Yes that sounds like a silly complaint but I assure you I am serious.  The cpu fan on this laptop is so loud that when I'm using it while friends visit they actually ask me what the humming is.  This is even more of an issue when you figure out that the computer runs hot...all of the time.  I have had to buy a cooling fan to place under it.  When I forget my fan, I have to prop it up so it can get enough air.  It runs so hot sometimes that it can burn you a bit.  The other issue that ties into this is that it shuts down so quickly when it overheats.  If you are in the middle of working on something when it decides it too hot, you're out of luck.

The final thing that is a real downer, is the quality of the keys.  I hadn't had this laptop more than a week when my cat walked across the keys and pulled off the 'A' key.  Well the pegs under each key are very thin insignificant tabs that do not hold up well.  I now have to hold my key on with tape because I refuse to have to replace the entire keyboard for that one key and you cannot replace the key if the pegs bend and break.

Best!!

from Ankeny, IA

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

This is by far the best brand and model of laptop that I have had. It is very durable, and it has a fast processor. In addition, it is easy to maneuver and learn how to use this computer and the programs that come with the system. My sisters and both my mom and dad have purchased this exact brand and model after using mine and seeing how great of a product that it is, especially compared to all the others that we have had in the past! I would recommend this laptop for any of a variety of uses including students in school, work, and as a great family computer. The price is very competitive, and it is a great value for the price and the quality of product you get.

Runs Hot, Sticky Keys, Uncertain Lifespan

from Stockton, CA

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have had numerous HP products with much satisfaction, so I was sorely disappointed when this Pavilion DV7 progressively took a turn for the worse after about a month and a half. The thing runs hot and I know that heat is the one thing that, in the end, spells death for electronics, although it is still functioning now. About a quarter of the keys sometimes stick as well. That’s not the worst thing, but it is a continuing annoyance. The computing side of this machine, however, does operates satisfactorily. I would give it a marginal pass.

I would give this five stars except for the sticky keys.

Battery Life
Like other HP's I have owned, the battery life is actually very good. No complaints.

Support & Service
I have not contacted HP support or service yet. I may in the future. My past dealings with HP support have been good, however.

Speed/Performance
No doubt about it: this has excellent speed on all programs I have run. It reminds my why I like HP.

This is a standard-looking laptop. No pluses, no minuses here.

It's running now but I suspect this will not be the case for the indefinite future.

This is a great laptop!

from Saint George, UT

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

This has been a great laptop and I am very pleased with my purchase. I did a lot of research before making this purchase and it was recommended by quite a few salespeople. One of my favorite features is the finger-swipe log-in method. This works great! I am also happy with the speed of this laptop. It loads very fast. It is very user-friendly and I love the size of the screen. The only problem that I had with this laptop was missing screws from the bottom. This caused the laptop to separate a little. We had a hard time finding the correct size of screws. However, I called HP's customer service and they were very helpful. They mailed the correct screws overnight at no charge. These screws solved the problem and I haven't had any problems since. I would definitely recommend this laptop.

• Speed/Performance:

Great Laptop for a college student or someone without a tv

from Rio Rancho, NM

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

This Laptop is fantastic. I can record TV on it and watch TV on it. Mine has a built in Bluray player which is amazing. All movies and shows look fantastic when I am watching. Its very quick and it just looks lovely too. My husband got it for my birthday and I have to say I love it. I can do everything on it. Mine has a 17.3 inch screen so pretty big for a laptop. It has everything going for it working at a tv and computer which is why I got it. If I was a college student I would love it because I wouldn't need to have a tv with it and it does everything. I am not sure if this would be a good gaming computer as I don't game but its great for everything else. My photos come up so clearly on the screen I just love it. We have started switching most things over to bluray so the fact that its a bluray player is great. I can also plug it into the tv when I want a bigger screen so that helps too.

My only complaint would be that the fan can get load when I try to use a lot of programs at once. I noticed if the computer is on my lap and I avoid covering the fan it stays quiet. But I find it a bit difficult when its on a table to be able to leave the bottom uncovered. I find this the case with most non mac computers but I am willing to live with it because of all the wonderful features. It has never over heated it is just a little loud for my taste.

you turn it on and your good to go. Its very straightforward.

Battery Life
It might be my battery but I think this would last 1-2 hours not plugged into the wall.

Support & Service
Hp has always been good for us with their support so this one has too.

Speed/Performance
Very quick, although sometimes the media center seems to take a little longer than I would like. I could just be impatient though

The look is lovely it is sleek. I am not a fan of all the moving parts like having to push the little button to open up the laptop.

Its been dropped and around little kids and its doing well!

• Speed/Performance:

Good laptop for the price

from Duluth, MN

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have had this computer for a couple of years now and I do still like it quite a bit. I don't feel as if it is outdated yet, which is unusual in the technology world. I do not feel the desire to go out and buy a new model because I don't think there is enough that is different on a newer model that would make me want to spend the extra money right now. I did splurge to get a longer lasting battery. I usually have the laptop plugged in most of the time, but it is nice to know when I am on the go, I don't have to worry about my laptop "dying" quickly. This model is relatively fast in terms of speed. One thing I noticed is that the keys tend to get stuck quite a bit. That is frustrating when trying to type quickly. But I do like that this model as the 10-key, which I use quite a bit. All in all, I am happy with my laptop.

• Speed/Performance:

Nice Laptop. Big Screen. Love it!

from Largo, FL

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I love my laptop and hope I will for yrs to come. It has a giant 17 in screen and love the fingerprint reader. Keeps my daughter off my laptop if i dont want her on it. The only thing that happened to cause concern was the first month i owned it the screen went black and I could do nothing. I called HP and they tried to walk me thru a few things before they realized it needed to be repaired at the shop. I had to wait 2 days for them to send me a box with a return label....take it to fed ex ...wait for it to be repaired...and then returned to me. The problem that it turned out to be was the memory module and it took 2 wks for me to get my laptop back. I guess since it happened while it was still in warranty was the only thing i was grateful for. I have not had any other problems with it since and even bought my daughter one for christmas this yr but with windows 8.......and dont even get me on that subject. I am sticking to windows 7!

Battery Life
Best battery ever with a 9 cell. I can use it forever without think of plugging this thing in.

Support & Service
Hp was very happy to assist me when i had the memory module problem and was sent back to me in tip top shape.

Speed/Performance
It appears to have slowed down from when i first bought it but still faster than any other computer i have ever owned............but i have loaded it down with tons of pictures and other things since i bought it.

Has some sort of ability to freeze your hard drive if you drop it and that way you wont loose any of your information and with a teenager using it at first i was happy for that..........she has gone thru 3 computers in past 3 yrs so made sure her next one was a hp!

• Speed/Performance:

A great computer with advanced technology.

from Waterloo, IA

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

What a great computer and the finger print to log in is quite amazing.

Fast and accurate.

Battery Life
Havent used it yet but six hours is nice to have.

Support & Service
Its like my own network helping me out.

Exceptional.

A biy bulky but easy to read letters.

Very good.

Serious Overheating Problems

from Hamburg, NY

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

Until and unless HP re-designs thie series, I would recommend that you not purchase this product. Under normal light use (surfing, checking email), the unit operates alright, but hot. Heavier use has caused the computer to overheat to the point of shutting down several times, particularly when watching a DVD and playing a video game. The HP site suggests "do not block the fan vent" which is obvious, but not helpful. My computer was sitting on a desk, so the vents were not blocked, but it still overheated and shut down. I have used and owned numerous computers (Gateway, Zeos, IBM, DELL), and have never had this issue with any other machine.

This system also comes with lots of annoying bloatware, and is a very heavy unit.

Support & Service
HP has refused to admit that there is a design problem with this series, and instead blames the user for overheating. What good is a laptop that you can't hold in your lap?

• Speed/Performance:

The HP Pavilion dv7 is a stylish laptop with great features!

from Savoy, IL

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

The HP Pavilion dv7 ushers in a fresh Pavilion era. Instead of the old Imprint pattern, the onyx lid now has a subtle grid pattern that extends to the keyboard deck. HP's logo glows brightly in the upper left corner when closed and it gets cooler when opened.

At the top of the laptop is the speaker strip, with a sleek touch-sensitive panel above that. The power button is discrete, yet viewable at all times. Other controls-mute, volume, rewind, play/pause, fast-foward, stop, and Wi-Fi-glow white or blue when the computer is turned on.

For people interested in watching TV, the dv7 also comes with a built-in TV tuner with a lightweight yet easy-to-use remoted. Best of all is that it stows away neatly on the side. The sound for TV was excellent, but the resolution was pretty mediocre; then again, this was using the included detachable antenna, which is pretty mediocre itself. The tuner receives both analog and digital signals.

Overall, this is a great notebook that I would reccommend for anyone.

favourite yet

from Laurel, MD

Comments about HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

The 17" screen is absolutely mind-blowing, and graphics are gorgeous. That coupled with excellent speed is a dream come true for some heavy gaming. I couldn't suggest too forcefully to clean up all the junk before first use (if you don't care about pre-installed programs - and you shouldn't - I would recommend looking up how to do a partial win7 reinstall, it does wonders). The touch-controls at the top (for volume, wireless) are very cool. The full keyboard is pure ecstasy. The HDMI is invaluable for obvious reasons. I find the battery pretty great for a laptop this size. Not terribly heavy - I'm a girl and I have no problem lugging it around in a backpack. More memory than I know what to do with - mine is a special limited-edition build though, with two physical hard drives - so I'm not constrained by the number of permitted volumes, among other things, and I have the page file on the second drive, etc. If you can get a setup like this, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.