View more laptops

4.1

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

It has worked great through two deployments

I have my HP dv9420us for over two years now and I have been very happy with it so far.  I bought this laptop in 2007 prior to my deployment to Iraq so that I would have the ability to stay in contact with friends and family and so I could watch videos and listen to music and do other basic computer type things.  At the time Vista was still very new and I had the drive wiped and XP put on it simply because I knew how to use XP and how to fix most of the problems that I would have.  It worked flawlessly for the entire 6 months that I was in Iraq.  When I got home I easily hooked it up to a wireless network that I have in my apartment and continued to use it there.

One of the things that I love about this laptop is that the screen is big and it is easy to work on because it's easy to see the things that are on the desktop.  Another feature that I appreciate with this laptop is the number pad on the right hand side, which makes it easier to enter numbers.  The built in web cam is great also, but the mic seems to be a little bit far away and so having an external microphone can be helpful.

In the entire time that I had this laptop, I have really only had one issue with it.  After about a year the wireless stopped working on the laptop.  I took it in to one of the local computer places and they weren't able to figure it out.  Since I have the extended warranty on the laptop I called to see about getting it fixed and I was informed that it was a known problem with this laptop and that I needed to call HP directly since they had automatically extended the warranty on the laptop.  After I contacted HP they informed me that I would have to put Vista back on the laptop before they would be able to work on it.  While in the process of puting the original operating system back on the laptop, the screen went out as well and it would no longer start correctly.  I called HP back and after running through a couple of troubleshooting ideas, they informed me that the issue was linked to the issue I was having with my wireless card.  They sent me a box and a shipping label and I sent the laptop to them.  Within less than a week I received my laptop back in complete working order and I have not had any problems with it since then.  I saw on here that some people have said that the HP customer service was bad and that they were slow and not very helpful, but that has not been my experience with them.  They understood my problem and were very quick to try and solve it.

My laptop is now on it's second deployment and it is still running great.  One of the concerns that I do have with it is that it runs very hot.  I have a cooling pad that I set underneath it just to make sure that it doesn't get too warm, but if you sit with your laptop on your lap it may get too warm for you and may want to look for a way to keep it a little bit cooler.

Overall I would definitely recommend this laptop.  It works great for most everyday computer user's needs.

think twice about Hp because customer service is awful!

Hp laptops are ok for the money you pay for... but one of the things you want to think about when purchasing computer is customer service, particular in the repair department and Hp is awful. My laptops stopped working for no reason within 8 mths of use and when i sent it in for repair it took more THREE WEEKS! When I called to ask about it, they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. They just said that they waiting for parts to come in and when I asked to speak with the manager, they hung up on me, twice! and even the manager was not helpful in telling me what's wrong and why it's taking so long. And every single rep i talked to had thick accent and i couldn't understand half of the things they were saying.. I was going to get Mac but didn't because it was expensive but i guess you are paying for the whole package when you buy more expensive brand, like getting your computer back at a reasonable time and getting good customer service.

Affordable & Does Its Job

from Portland, TX

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

The HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC is a reasonably-priced notebook, which functions as most laptops do. The laptop itself is a nice, sleek design and the platform is also decent.
One thing I do not like about this laptop is that it gets hot quickly, making me nervous to leave it alone while running. When I wear shorts, it sometimes burns my legs because it gets so hot. I have also noticed that because this device is metallic, it gets dirtier easier and although it looks nice when clean, it looks pretty bad when it is dirty.
This device is easy to use, as any other computer, and it's speed is quite a bit slower than newer computers.
The battery life of this computer is very poor. I use the computer moderately every day and find myself having to plug in the charger multiple times a day.
A benefit of power-saving, however, is that you can adjust the brightness of the screen for when it is plugged into the charger and when it is not plugged into the charger.

• Speed/Performance:

Mixed feelings on this one

from Enterprise, Wv

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

My family actually owns three of these. I purchased one for each of my younger children for Christmas. They run well. they have a good battery life BUT there is something wrong with the screens. Each one of these have developed a dead spot in the screen somewhere. I am not giving them a poor rating because HP does make it good and fixes them for free if you call their number. Otherwise they run games well. My kids play World of Warcraft which takes a lot of bandwidth. They came with Beats Audio which absolutely is top of the line in sound . I was kind of disappointed it did not come with Microsoft Works. It is a program needed for most college assignments. The virus ware it comes with is not to bed. But I upgraded just to make sure since it was factory. I rate this ok for kids High School age and under. But for college students and professionals, it just does not seem to do the functions needed. My desk top is also an HP and wonderful. I think it is just this product and not the company that is flawed. Looks to me like they cut corners during manufacturing.

I wasn't too impressed

from Spring, TX

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

I owned one of these for maybe four or five years and put it through the ringer. I used it for everything, from class work to gaming, and I must say that it was great at first. However, after about a year I was glad I had gotten the warranty on it. It had a defective power source and I had to ship it to HP to fix and that was just the beginning. On numerous occasions I had issues with it and had to spend hours on the phone with technical support, many times resulting in me having to send the computer in. Eventually, my screen went out and the computer went kaput. It turns out that there was a poor design to the laptop that caused it to overheat and melt parts inside. I was very frustrated and ended up having to buy a new laptop. Buy at your own risk.

I've had better.

from Dublin, CA

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

serves it's purpose until it over heats due to that defect hp acknowledged in the mother board

Support & Service
If you're lucky enough to have this item defect WITHIN th warranty limit, service is excellent - however, when your unit overheats and crashes AFTER the warranty, you're screwed.

• Speed/Performance:

A Great Use of Technology!

from West Liberty, KY

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

**I have to say that I really do like this computer! It has plenty of great features to it. It has a nice wide screen. A nice QWERTY keypad, with a nice adition number pad on the side, which I have found works great for when you're crunching numbers and want to have a quick way of adding them. Also, it has a nice built in camera for when you want to web chat with friends and family. This I have appreciated because my family lives a couple of states away from me, so this has helped me to be able to stay in contact and not have to attach an extra accessory to my computer! The one drawback to this computer, though, is that I had to switch from Windows XP to Windows Vista, which I have found I don't really care for. The operating system has a lot of glitches and can be a pain to use. And the only other thing is that the wireless switch is easy to knock off and on. Outside of that, though, it is pretty easy to navigate around. **

• Speed/Performance:

It's a gotta have for on-the-goers!

from Texarkana, TX

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

This is the second HP laptop I have owned. I just love the HP brand. I have used others (Dell, Toshiba, and Gateway) and always go back to the HP. It is very user friendly, even if you have never used a computer before. It is very light weight, especially this newer one, I believe it is only like 4-7 pounds. The picture is very clear and crisp. The only down fall I have found is the Vista, it is not a user friendly program. This is defenatlly a product for the person on the go. It comes with a 8 cell battary, ear buds and a remote control for watching DVDs and listening to music.

Want quality in your lap - HP is the one.

from Marietta, GA

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

Having had a PC for many many years, breaking out into the wireless world and use of laptops, I have found that the HP Pavillion really fit all of my needs.  With the seperate numeric keyboard, I am really pleased with how this fits into my Accounting work and needs.

Good computer but not great quality overall.

from West Lafayette, IN

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

Overall the computer works absolutely great, i have only two problems with it. The first being that in mine and the several other people that i know who own this laptop, it is falling apart. The hinges on screen quickly became wobbly and eventually will not support the screen. The other problem is that hp can NOT seem to help me get the right drivers to actually use my num pad. I sent it in to them once, but when i redid my computer the problem came back. I have spoken to customer support several times, but they can't just send me a driver and i can't afford to lose my laptop for 3-4 weeks just for the numpad. It's quite ridiculous that they can't just add it to a hp patch to download and fix this problem for all users.

Its a decent computer

from Olathe, KS

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

I bought this laptop for work. I work construction and half to write out alot of bids. The battery life is very good but the only problem i have had is the power strip. I leave it in my bag untill i need it. I have had to replace the cord 2 times so far because it is not strong at all the wire comes frayed and the connector for the computer fell off. But the rest of the computer is good the only thing that could be better is the sound quality

Love it!

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about HP Pavilion DV9000 Notebook PC:

I got this for my birthday, and I love it. It's great for watching movies, and I can watch live tv over the internet with no problem. The only draw back is it's a little heavy, but overall it's great. I'm always online, sending pics, downloading music, watching movies and playing games, so far not one little bit of trouble. I highly recommend this laptop.