View more laptops

HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC

Pros

Cons

• Speed/Performance:

One powerful little notebook!

I have used alot of computers over the years but this one beats them all. I still can't believe they packed all this into such a little space! This computer is not only powerful it's fast! I have a sony vaio desktop that is a dinosaur compared to this little notebook and my sony was top of the line just 2 years ago! HP did a fantastic job with packing all the best into this affordable laptop. I bought this laptop when I went back to college and needed something wireless that could perform quickly. I have used this for homework in accounting, writing papers, creating templates, email, web surfing, watching movies, downloading music, playing games and it has never disappointed. It came with vista home ultimate 64 with a free windows 7 upgrade, which I recently ordered. It also came with microsoft works, and I purchase office ultimate 2007. It handles all these programs with room to spare. I have no lag when surfing the web or working from one of the programs. I can multi task with no hesitation or slow downs with this machine. The web cam is low light enabled so if you are saving energy (no lights) this cam works great, people have said they did not realize I was in the dark. Comes in white or espresso black, I chose the "espresso".

It has "drop" protection of the hard drive, it actually senses when it is being dropped and locks the harddrive to minimize damage so you don't lose valuable information stored on it. It also has on board backup, you can back your entire system easily without using an external device, you can also do a system backup to dvds. The only drawback I've noticed so far is it's a little on the heavy side, especially if you are lugging it around in a backpack for school. I've gotten many "oohs and ahhs" from fellow students over this laptop, they love it and want one for themselves! Take one for a test drive! You will love it!

OVERALL it's a decent laptop but nothing to write home about....

Features are good. Still getting used to Windows 7. The display is odd. This "brightview" display takes getting used to. It's almost illusive at times.

I've had...Read complete review

I've had this since mid January so it's been about 2 months. I don't feel I'm as far along as I should be because the OS is getting in the way. Still trying to figure out WHY Microsoft thought it was wise to add key strokes, steps and a completely different language to an OS that worked fine and was very easy to understand. I'm talking about XP of course.

There are some nice features to this hardware but HP is now involved with installing a lot of "helpful" utility software which in my opinion interferes with the pc's speed. All these unecessary windows open before you can stary typing. Also, Windows in their attempt to make web surfing more secure has implemented a lot of delays and roadblocks to programs and applications. Even the administrator has to answer questions before being allowed in a program or opening your browser. All of these delays and roadblocks can really hinder getting to know your pc and if you find a way around them all kinds of OTHER warnings come up.

Ok - down to the hardware which is really what this review is about. This is called a Notebook, but Notebooks are known to be smaller - it's more like a laptop. It's very heavy, has a large screen, full keyboard with number pad, built in webcam, speakers & microphone. Don't even think about putting this in a sleeve. If you plan on going transit with this laptop you better have a durable laptop case with a shoulder strap to carry it in.

The esthics are nice it is dark brown with a lighter brown fading nuts and bolts pattern on it. Haven't tried the webcam or microphone yet and don't expect I will in the near future as I'm not into that sort of thing but it's nice to have that option.

The speaker system is my biggest complaint. There is no dial or knob it's a touch display "button" and it doesn't get very loud so sometimes it's hard to hear dialog in movies and streaming videos. The volume does not respond well to touch either so you are constantly having to slide your finger over the "button"  to tune it to your desired volume.

This is my first outing with a laptop. The main reason I got this was because I have a fear is my electricity ever goes out I won't be able to get online!!  I'm a firm believer in PC's over laptops because the convenience of laptops will never make up for the limitations they have compared to PC's! I said no to recommending this labtop because I'm personally disappointed in that due to it's weight and size it really isn't all that easy to get around.

One good thing that might help you consider this laptop is that the 64bit encryption and intel core 2 (or quad cores) were made for each other. If you have a dual or quad cored in your pc with XP those extra "process runners" are wasted because XP is not compatible with 64bit - they don't work so you will definitely notice the speed is much faster with the 64 bit.

HP Is the way to go

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have always used HP, they have stood up longer than any Dell and are much more user friendly than an Apple product.

With basic computer literacy you can operator this computer. It will give you tips and tours to help also.

Battery Life
It is almost non existent at this point, but it did last the normal 2 years that is rule of thumb for a laptop battery.

Support & Service
HP support is easy to figure out if you can get online and search for a bit. The basic help usually doesn't meet my needs.

Speed/Performance
Still going strong after 4 plus years. Yes, it is running a little slower than day one but nothing that bogs down my productivity.

I would recommend upgrading to the 10 key model if you use numbers, I do like the keyboard shortcut buttons in place.

Very minimal wear and tear. I type a lot, and there are only marks on the space bar, Shift, "A" and "S" keys. The tracking pad still works great and has a normal left and right click. The outer housing is not scratched at all.

Great for Music and Personal/School Use

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I'm tough on computers. I've been through four computers in four years, but I've had this one for over two years now. The sound quality is stellar, but the performance lags at times. I lost use of 3/4 of the USB ports it comes with, which hinders my use sometimes.

I think Windows 7 is incredibly easy to use. I love the snapping windows, the shortcuts, and the ten key.

Battery Life
The battery life was much better when I first purchased it, but because it's a budget computer and the battery shows it, I don't travel too far without my charger.

Support & Service
I have not had to deal with support too much, but when I have, it's been reasonably good.

Speed/Performance
This is definitely where the computer is beginning to lack. At first, it was lightning fast, but now I struggle to have Photoshop and Chrome open at the same time. The processor isn't the best, which is part of the problem. I wish I would have invested in more RAM to help alleviate this issue. Also, after about 6 months, all but one of the four USB ports stopped working. To this day, I still have only that one, which is problematic at times.

The design is nice and sleek. I much prefer this over all computers I've had in the past.

It's not as durable as I've tried to make it, but I am (admittedly) very tough on computers. A little of the plastic has broken off, but not to a great extent.

• Speed/Performance:

Pretty good laptop with only a couple of issues.

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have used this product every day for over 2 years. It is very easy to use and versatile. The only two issues I've had are that the battery-life has diminished greatly over time, and I have a fan that occasionally stops working.

This is a very user-friendly computer. I have been very comfortable with it.

Battery Life
I have had this laptop for over two years, and its battery life has gradually diminished. At present, the battery holds a charge for about one hour before it needs to be plugged back in. When it was new, it would last for over two hours.

Support & Service
I haven't really used any support services.

Speed/Performance
Overall, I'm very satisfied with its speed and performance. It has a cooling fan that sometimes doesn't work well, and it can get pretty hot.

The design is very practical and not too flashy.

I intend to use this product for a few more years, and I think my laptop will make it. It has already survived paste its warranty, so I think it's doing pretty well.

• Speed/Performance:

Love the computer..hate the fan!

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I love this laptop. I've had 3 laptops in the last few years and this one has lasted the longest. I love HP laptops in general, but for some reason, the fan always seems to be my biggest pet peeve.

This laptop has alot of space on it. I save pictures and music and it still just never seems to run out of space. It also runs software quickly and processes videos and websites fast. I need this. I also like how I can use several programs at one time with our worrying whether or not its gonna crash.

It has 4 USB outlets--which I love!--and also different slots for SD cards, DSL lines and a dvd/cd player and burner. It's basically the perfect laptop.

The only complaint I have is the fan. I know stuff happens to all laptop fans--dust, animal hair, dander, and God knows what else--and you have to clean them. But just using compressed air usually isn't enough. It's difficult to remove the back of the laptop without going to some computer specialist, and I'm not going to pay someone else to do something I should be able to do just because they have a small screw driver!

It's also a little heavy. I got the 17 inch screen, but I wish it didn't weigh so much. Also, the battery life is not that great so I pretty much always plug it in using the power cord.

Over all--a great laptop!

HP 15.6 Pavilion dv6-3225dx Entertainment PC

from Kenosha, WI

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I'm very happy that I have this because it works very well, is very fast, and was worth what I pay for it.

Since I'm just getting into using a Notebook, I find that this one is very easy to use. What I need to do does come up fast, and if I can't find it, I have learned that the more I use this computer, the better I'm doing with it.

Battery Life
The battery life I find is so far is 31/2 hours, so for me, that is very good. I don't know if others have a longer battery life, but for me, this is long enough.

Support & Service
So far, since it is new, I have not needed any service, or support. I sure hope that if I need support, I get it.

Speed/Performance
I find that the speed on this computer is so much faster than my other computer. The performance is great, so I'm not disappointed at all.

The design I just love. The size is just right, and the look is just what I wanted. The screen size is perfect because it is not to big, or to small, just right.

Like I wrote, this is still new, so far I feel that since I use it every day, it has been doing great, so I will find out how much durability it has.

Pretty Good Laptop

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I have had this laptop for about 3 years. I have been pretty satisfied so far. I have had several problems on the laptop that I have had to get fixed however (new disk drive, lots of blue screens etc.) All of the problems have seemed fixable however. This computer is great for watching movies because it has very loud speakers for a computer of its size. I also love the large screen size.

It is very easy to use.

Battery Life
I have had to replace the battery several times since I have bought the computer.

Support & Service
I bought this computer at Costco. When I called though them and then was connected to HP the customer service was great.

Speed/Performance
It is a very fast computer.

It is a very pretty computer but shows a lot of finger prints.

A few pieces of plastic trim have snapped off but they do not affect performance.

• Speed/Performance:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I purchased the HP Pavilion dv6-3225dx as a replacement for a Compaq dinosaur laptop that got really slow. It was to be for travel etc., until my desktop PC was zapped by a lightening strike. I decided that I liked this laptop enough to call it into service as my primary computer, which gets used a lot. I am not good about watching battery strength, so it remains plugged in on my desk most of the time. However, it does seem to last a good while on battery when I take it outside on the patio or where I don't have access to electrical outlets. I like the large screen, the speed, the multiple USB ports, and the very quiet fan. I am not a game-player, nor do I watch movies on it; although I do occasionally catch up on tv shows and it is nice to view in full screen.
What I am not crazy about, is the extra row of keys at the left of the keyboard, which seems to cause me to get my hands in the wrong position sometimes (obviously operator problem). Next, although I like the option of using a cordless mini-mouse, I find that the "tap" feature on the built in mouse pad area disigned to turn that area off, only works occasionally, and after numerous "taps". My hands tend to rest on the mouse area an cause unwanted results (again, operator problem, but the disconnect should work properly). The final love/hate issue with this laptop is the fingerprint recognition feature. I love the secuity and convenience, but once more, it often takes three or more scans before it recognizes me. Of course I can always type a password, so I am never locked out.
Overall, I do not have any complaints with this laptop and we will see how it holds up under heavy daily use. I have learned to use a lot of jump drives and an external hard drive in case of another crash or storm issue, so I really like the multiple USB's.
This was a reasonably priced laptop, considering the features, and I feel it is a good buy and a good product.

Easy to use, with the exception of the awkwary keyboard. USB ports are located on both sides for easy connection of multiple accessories and storage media.

Battery Life
I'm not a judge of what is considered standard, but I find it seems to have a considerable battery life, especially when it is on but not being heavily used, such as in meetings or intermittent use in a library etc.

Support & Service
I have not had an occasion to seek support on this particular laptop, however, based on other HP experiences with printers etc., I feel that their support is adequate and available.

Speed/Performance
I have not experienced any speed issues, even in downloading videos where I used to experience problems waiting for my old computer to catch up with a play back. I have likewise had only the minor performance issues mentioned above ( the mousepad disconnect malfunction and the fingerprint scan issue). The computer itself seems to be responsive and reliable.

I find the overall design to be an improvement over my previous laptop. It has a relatively thin profile, a nice wide screen and well placed connections for periferals and media. I would have preferred perhaps a screen with an anti glare feature, as I like to take it outside and the reflections can be quite an issue, so I have to search for shade and tilt the screen down more.

I am not rough on my electronics, so I cannot really judge the durability, outside of saying that I have traveled with this laptop, and taken it on research expeditions and to classroom situations. Nothing has broken or shown any signs of wear. I put it in a padded zippered sleeve and drop it into my day bag. I don't baby it and I don't abuse it.

HP Pavillion Laptop

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

This is my first laptop and I am very pleased with what I chose. The price was much better than some others that I was considering, and it has turned out to be the right choice. It is perfect for everyday use, playing games, watching movies, etc.

Very nice computer!

from Dunnellon, FL

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I've had this computer for a little over a year and I love it! I have had to get the hard drive replaced twice already but that's because mine is banged around a bit because of my son. The battery doesn't last that long if you use the computer constantly like I do but all in all it is nice for the price if you only use it for emails and facebook etc... If you want a computer for major game playing than I would not recommend this one.

buy a dell

from North Little Rock, AR

Comments about HP Pavilion DV6 Entertainment Notebook/Laptop PC:

I bought mine last year and complained about the keyboard not being lit, that is a feature they added this year....it goes down often. I back it up often so I don't lose my precious memories

has an E button other than that it's the same as most laptops

they said it lasts up to 6 hours, mine last about 2

Support & Service
If you like talking to them all the time and can understand"john" from India

I keep mine at home so it doesn't go anywhere to really get beat up. All the keys are still on the keyboard