View more laptops

WQ874UAABA
HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC

HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC

Great portable laptop!

This is one of my first reviews of a computer.  I'm not a technology whiz, but I use laptops a lot throughout the day for work and at home.
Read complete review

After having a few different laptops, mainly DELL, we wanted to try something new.  We considered a Mac, but we use ours for business and a IT guy at our office suggested HP.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance.  The keys are a little thin for my liking, but it is easy to get used to.  The hardest thing for me to get used to is the mousepad buttons.  They seem difficult to push and I've always been more of a button pusher rather than tapper.  Picture clarity seems good.  It seems they have taken time with the design, even with the background pictures you can choose from.  The left side is more sparce for icons, etc.  I LOVE the fingerprint technology to log into the computer and use on several different sites, including email- a nice feature that saves time.  It is still fairly new, but runs well and is faster than our other computers.  The webcam was a bonus because we use this laptop to skype so my sister-in-law can talk to our 1 yr old.  The only other somewhat negative thing I notice, is that this Notebook tends to get warm pretty easily.  It's a good size and weight to take with you to work or out, and to move from room to room throughout the house.

Overall, I'm liking this one more than our previous Notebooks.

Great price horrible sound

I purchased the HP DM4-1165 during the Christmas sales.  So far it seems like a good buy.  I only paid 650 for it so I am willing to over look the shortcomings.  First is the color.  In certain light it almost looks mauve or pinkish.  The touch pad is sinsitive and it jumps all over the screen.  I do use a wireless mouse so that isn't much of a problem for me.  The keyboard is typical chiclet style, which I dislike but mostly use this for browsing the internet and don't do too much typing.  The only real negative I have an issue with is the speaker system.  It is horrible!!!  The new hp speakers are not that good.  They are not very loud at all.  I like to watch movies and hulu while I am in the kitchen and these speakers are just not going to cut it.  I turn them up all the way and can barely hear them.  If you don't mind what this unit sounds like then it is a very good buy.  It has a great i5 processor 500gb of storage and excellent battery life.  It doesn't have a seperate video card so don't plan on doing any gaming.

Portable and efficent

from Bolingbrook, IL

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

This is the best laptop I have bought so far.

Battery Life
I have eight hours or more of battery life and I love it

Speed/Performance
Performance is amazing. It does not slow down and it is very secure

Light and portable

It is very energy efficent which I like

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Good for the Price

from New York, NY

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

I purchase this notebook to take notes during law school classes, write papers, and watch online TV. I find the graphics card can get really overwhelmed by online TV watching, but for the other purposes, it gets the job done. I actually dropped it on a sidewalk and it held up fine, with just a small dent, and that was a year and a half ago! I also spilled coffee on the keyboard...and it still is fine! So it can take a beating.

Battery Life
If you leave it off for a couple weeks and the battery drains, it can hurt it, but besides that, it is pretty good.

Dropped on a sidewalk and still held up!

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

What a powerful little guy!

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

I think the first part that needs to be brought up is the fact you can have access to media files and internet use without it even being booted up into Windows 7. That''s pretty phenomenal if you ask me. The battery life is amazing, with an average of 6.5 hours between charges. It has an i-5 processor which essentially translates to being a quad core for lightning fast internet browsing. A lot has been said about the touchpad and it's sensitivity and "multi-touch" problems. This can be remedied inexpensively and conveniently by buying a wireless mouse. The HDMI port is of awesome use to for HD streaming onto a high definition television or monitor. In my opinion, I think the coolest part is the ability to wirelessly stream media using Intel Wireless Display with the use of a Media Player, such as D-Link's. Pretty sweet if you have a photo collection or a video file that you want to stream to a television and don't want to run HDMI or VGA through the TV. All in all, this 14" laptop packs a powerful punch and the possibilities are endless.

Excellent laptop for students

from Cordele, GA

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

The HP Pavilion DM4 laptop is an excellent choice for students. I have been using it for several months now, and have had no major problems. It was a major upgrade from my last computer. Very quick, and I got a great deal on it from Microsoft store. The size is a very good compromise for travel.. relatively thin and light, yet a 14" screen is big enough for movies, study, word processing, internet browsing, etc. The keyboard is very tactile and does take some getting used to coming from lighter keyboards, I felt like I was slamming my fingers every time I typed, but once you get used to it, it is very responsive. The touchpad could use some work, I don't like the finish on it and it does not feel smooth at all, though I have a small cordless mouse for this purpose. Windows 7 is included with the laptop and works very nicely with the setup. Quick boot times on this laptop are great. Overall it would be an excellent choice for someone looking for a balance between power and portability.

This computer is generally very good.

from Chicago, IL

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

This laptop has many good and bad points. It is very lightweight and thin. It fits easily in backpacks and most messenger bags. It works quickly and with intel core i5 works very quickly.

There are a lot of minor issues. The bad points don't outweigh the good points, but they are more interesting to note than the good points. The touchpad is really bad because the clicker and the rest of the area is connected. The touchpad is also not placed in between where the hands would be resting on the keyboard so the right hand frequently touches the touchpad and moves the mouse or clicks on things that you don't want it to click on. Also, the way the function keys are built in, you need to press function to activate the f buttons instead of the way keyboards used to be made. The old style is where the function key was pressed to activate the second key on the f1-f12 keys. This makes keyboard shortcuts more tiresome.

Other than these small details, this computer is pretty good.

HP dm4 rocks!

from Santa Fe, NM

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

I bought this computer for Christmas and I've been enjoying every single day with it. It's such a great machine for everyday usage. I am a college student and this computer serves me so well because it's not heavy at all, the size of the screen it's just right for what I do. It has an i5 m450 processor clocked at 2.4 Ghz which is suprisingly fast for the clock speed. The Intel HD Graphics guaratees that the machine is able to hadle HD content and some older games are handled pretty good as well. The body is made out of alluminium and plastic but the computer feels pretty solid, just like a MacBook Pro. The best feature on this computer is the touchpad. The touchpad is pretty big compared to other laptop PCs and supports multitouch which I have enjoyed on my Mac but now I can use it on a PC too (even though the touchpad doesnt respond as naturally as it does on a Mac. I have found no downside on this computer, I totaly love it, It's one great PC packed in a small, lightweight and sleek design.

Love my HP!

from New Rochelle, NY

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

I received this computer as a gift on Christmas from my brother.  It is the best gift that I have ever received.  The HP computer is so lightweight and super fast compared to my old laptop.  I am so pleased with it's overall performance and highly recommend it.

Webcam issues

from Luthersburg, PA

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

Ive had my Hp Pavilion notebook for a little over two years and have had issues with the webcam and drivers. Although this issue is very frusterating, calling the support line, they get into my computer remotly and fix this issue. I suggest if you buy this or any type of laptop to get the warrenty because it does come in handy when you need it. Such as my webcam issue and my powercord went bad so they replaced it for free

Good Product

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

This laptop is seriously one of the greatest machines I've had the privilege to use. It's not only fast and sleek, but it looks great doing it!  Whatever "IT" is you're doing, the HP Pavilion DM4 will get it done. Although my old laptop works just fine, I needed a change and wanted a more powerful computer instead.  After TONS of research looking at other company's laptops, I decided to go for HP Pavilion DM4. The internet is pretty quick and pretty inpressive. Half the time when I not doing anything like chores or other house stuff. I be on my laptop playing games, going on my myspace, myyearbook, facebook, mocospace, and twitter.  I like its looks and it's not heavy too. Has nice media buttons and nice keyboard, I love it's webcam. Very easy DVD drive slot.

Out of the box this computer is ready to handle almost anything you can throw at it.  From the first time I turned it on I knew that it was exactly what I was looking for in a laptop and so much else. I would really recommend this one!!!

Great portable laptop!

from Louisville, KY

Comments about HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook PC:

Overall, I'm liking this one more than our previous Notebooks.