View more laser printers

LJ 1018
HP LaserJet Printer

HP LaserJet Printer

3.7

As with most HP printers it is very dependable and economical.

I have had this Hewlitt-Packard laserjet printer for over a year now and between myself and my family we have printed out quite a bit of paper. The printer is a basic laserjet printer with no frills. It is a workhorse that just keeps on printing. And now after a year the toner is starting to get low and some of the print is not as dark as it should be, but take the toner cartridge out and shake it a few times and it prints just as good as new for a while. In all of the time that we have had it I don't remember a paper jam. HP printers are very simply built but they are built to do a lot of work. I used to work for a museum in the IT dept. repairing and setting up computers and any equipment associated with them. Of all of the printers that we had come in the HP's were the most reliable and easiest to work with. After watching and learning from some of the printer repair people that we had come into the building I was able to fix most of the HP printers myself. If I wasn't able to fix it then we would call in a repairman.

Don't Buy the LaserJet 1018

This printer at first seemed to be very nice. However, it quickly did not meet my expectations. For such a simple and small printer it easily jams up on pieces of paper. Also, the printer does not have a light that tells you when it needs a new ink cartridge, it just stops working. You have to figure this out on your own by going out and buying a new expensive ink cartridge (~100) and if that wasn't the problem then you just wasted your money. There should be more buttons or a screen that tells you what the problem is. I know it's not an expensive printer but I'm not asking for any fancy technology. Also, for class I've tried to print some PDF files and it won't print them. After I hit print on certain files it apparently uninstalls itself because then my computer tells me I need to install a printer. Then you have to go through the whole tedious process of going to HP's website and installing the drivers and the "problem solver program". Definitely do not get this printer.

As with most HP printers it is very dependable and economical.

from Romeoville, IL

good printer

from Urbana, IL

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

This is a printer I did not pay for but had a chance to evaluate. It is extremely reliable piece of electronic and has lasted us for about 6 years with average home use. It also has excellent quality and does not need uses cartridges efficiently. It is bit noisy and oocupies a lot of space. Has lot of place to put paper in. You will not be disapoointed with this choice of printer.

Great Printer, with a slight bug

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

Well, I have had this printer for several years and isn't hasn't really let me down, but it hasn't been top notch either. This printer is terrific for printing speeds, but after a while of printing, it now makes an obnoxious high pitched ring whenever you print a document. The noise is very aggravating when printing individual documents, but when you print several at once, it ends after a few seconds of printing, so I am assuming it is just a bug of when the buzzer should be ringing out loud. I haven't tried to fix this, but I beleive I can just remove the buzzer in order to be completely satisfied with my laser jet. Witout it, I can't print my documents, so I guess I need to keep using it, even if it is just for now. HP did a good job with this printer here, but they ought to have something on there website to help someone with a bug like I have, but maybe I am the only one. I don't know now, but I hope to fix it soon.

Don't Buy the LaserJet 1018

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

I do not recommend this printer

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

Ok I have had 3 HP printers in the past year and ALL of them have failed me in some manner. This HP LaserJet 1018 faithfully served me for the first month or so and then started giving me issues every since. To be specific, this 1018 printer started giving me problems by locking on me. The paper for no reason likes to get locked into the feed, requiring manual intervention. What this means is that I cannot print 10 or 20 copies of a flyer or advertisement or print a 6 page research paper. Instead, I need to feed the paper in one by one. A little imagination can allow one to see that this is hardly practical nor fun. It essentially makes this printer a complete hassle to work with. To be fair, however, this printer did work just fine before this problem developed. I asked HP if anything can be done and they replied back (quite rudely) that there was nothing that can be done. I have since given up on HP as a brand and have moved to Cannon and Epson.

Great printer

from Blacksburg, VA

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

HP has always produced quality printers and this one was no different. Due to its shape, it can fit in relatively small compartments. The toner cartridge seems to last forever and I have only had to replace it after 3 years of extensive use (1 cartridge is capable of printing ~3000 pages). The printer has never jammed while printing although I would not reccomend putting too much paper in the feeder tray as it sometimes feeds and prints over two pieces of paper instead of one. One thing to note is that it does not come with a USB cable, you have to purchase that separately. It is not too loud and it prints out copes very quickly. Overall this is an excellent printer for the value, the only thing I do not like is that it only prints black and white. Also this printer seems better suited for home and small office use and would not meet the requirements of a large office.  I would very much reccomend this printer to a friend.

HP LaserJet 1018 is great for students.

from Norman, OK

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

The HP LaserJet 1018 has been a great printer for us as college students. My husband and I bought it over 2 years ago and it's still going strong.

This printer prints 12 pages a minute. It is black and white, which is all we have really needed as students.

Now that we have Windows 7, we have not had any problems with the printer. We did have occasional problems with Windows XP and Windows Vista, but once we got settled with Windows 7, it has been smooth sailing.

Laser Jet printers are great because the toner lasts much longer than traditional ink jet cartridges would. We have only had to replace the toner once, which is quite impressive since my husband and I were both in school full time and printing constantly.

It is a bulky printer in my opinion. It is tall and box like which limits where we can place it. Other than the size, I have been please with its performance, and will consider laser jet printers in the future.

The HP Laser Jet Printer is a great choice for a college student

from Houghton, MI

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

When starting college, I wanted to make sure that I had a great quality printer that I could depend on for printing out papers before class. This printer has been extremely dependable for me. Although it is a simple printer, it is efficient and affordable, which are very important to me as a college student. The design is simple, so it is not hard to reload paper and cartridges when something runs out. I have even been able to simply fix paper jams all by myself.

Many people do not whether to use a computer lab for printing or buy their own printer. I would suggest purchasing this printer because it makes printing convenient and saves any last minute trips to the lab.

Save your money and skip the copier and color printers. This printer has everything a college student needs, and has lasted me three years. I highly suggest this to everyone because nothing is sweeter than having something that can print out a term paper after much procrastination. :)

Great affordable practical laser printer!

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

I've had this Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1018 Printer for two or three years and the ink has not run out yet. But that's the great thing about laser printers - the ink lasts a long time and the look of printed copies is crisp and clear. I've had to shake the ink cartridge once in two years. I haven't had any complaints so far and it looks like the ink cartridge is available in affordable options. If the paper is not pulled through or put in the tray in time, all you have to do is lift the top cover and let it down again and the printer will print the document from memory - it won't delete the print job. It is compatible and can hook up to any laptop via usb cord and print from them. I just love how it's so easy to use with just about any computer. It is a compact printer - fits on my narrow top shelf of my desk in my bedroom. It has an attractive design and it's just been dependable, naturally because it's Hewlett Packard! :D

Fast, convenient printer

from Brookfield, IL

Comments about HP LaserJet Printer:

I have this printer connected to my computer at work. It prints fast, good quality, black and white prints. After 6 months it has only (knock on wood) showed an error message when I run out of paper. I still haven't had to (knock on wood) replace the toner or clear a jam and I use it every day.