1.8

Greyhound Bus Service

1.8

Pros

Cons

If you can't drive yourself, go Greyhound.

I have traveled by Greyhound many times, although I was transfered to alternate bus lines, many times, because of my destination. So far there have been no problems with these transfers. If you know in advance when and where you will be going, you can buy a seven day advance ticket, and, in my research and personal experience, save over half the cost of a regular priced ticket.

I have never had a bad experience. Once, years ago, the Greyhound had a flat tire. Evidently they just can't be fixed on the side of the road. We did have to wait, in the middle of nowhere, for a replacement, but they sent a really nice bus to take us on to our next transfer.

Funny and a little creepy once. A woman was being deported by bus, I don't know the thinking on that one, but, in my opinion, she needed to be hospitalized, she had serious mental disability issues. The bus driver did a great job of handling the situation.

I haven't traveled by Greyhound in the past few years, but would if I needed to.

I refuse to use Greyhound!

My daughter took a Greyhound Bus last night. She left from Chicago at 7pm and was due to arrive in Champaign Illinois at 8:30, think it was. Well that didnt happen. The bus pulled over because the de-foggers werent working. The rain outside didnt help any. The Bus Driver called in and requested another bus. That bus didnt come for another 2 hours. My daughter and the other passengers were stranded until then. They reached Champaign at 2am in the morning. And to make matters worse, my daughters "duffle bag" was the only bag missing on the bus. They said it was left behind on the broken down bus. How the heck do ya leave ONE bag behind? It's 2pm here and my daughter's still waiting on a call about her bag. This is insane! I personally would never take this bus! And neither will my daughter!

A nightmare!

from Home

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

July 7, boarded in OKC for my return trip to Mn. I've yet to see a decent, clean bus station with affordable food or snacks; KC, Mo has a small "cafe", but it was too crowded to get served even one of their pitiful grease bombs. Other options are $3.00 (3 oz.) Pkts of peanuts, & bottled water costs the same. Nothing for less. I won't mention the toilets, sitting areas, etc. The drivers & staff are mostly rude & unhelpful.
After 27 long hours, I stepped out of the bus to be told my baggage was gone. Both bags, tgged & loaded nto the bus. I've been trying ever since to get someone to JUST LOOK for mu bags, with my file & tacking numbers.
A terrible company with Nasty employees. Absolutely indifferent to clients'requzt & questiond & requests for assstnce.
I used to love rding the bus, but Greyhound has plunged straight downhill. Discouraging & shameul.

Greyhound "Bait & Switch":

from Syracuse NY

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

I have to say that I was very disappointed on my "Greyhound" trip this past week... I booked a fully refundable round-trip ticket from SYR to NYC online through the Greyhound website. I had not traveled on a bus in almost 40 years, but the rates were too good to pass up and the buses looked great...

I printed my ticket at home and both the tickets were labeled "Priority Seating", but the only the return was marked "Trailways"... I assumed this to be like an airline "code share" arrangement, and didn't think anything of it. I paid "full price" for a refundable ticket and priority seating and comparable amenities. Specifically it said (on my RETURN ticket ONLY):

"This part of your trip will be with our partner bus company, NEW YORK TRAILWAYS ###. Some of our partner carriers are unable to honor priority boarding, but you'll still get all the other great perks that come with your chosen fare."

When I got to the SYR station, it was NOT a modern Greyhound bus that waited for me... It was an older Trailways bus with cloth seats, cramped legroom, and a disgusting bathroom... Certainly NOT the leatherette seats and spacious, "upscale" interior, in the very nice Prevost bus advertised on the Greyhound website.

Everyone was already in line, so I got in line, too. When I got to the bus, I asked about the "Priority Seating" and was told "Oh, you should have come to the front of the line first..." No announcements, no signage, nothing... How was I to know?

On the return trip from NYC, I went right to the agent at the front of the line when I arrived at the terminal, and showed them the "Priority Seating" designation on my ticket. He said "We don't do that here." Are you kidding? I paid extra for that "great perk" and never got it.

On both buses, the rest room was filthy and foul smelling, the WiFi was spotty at best (I had to keep re-logging on) and on the return bus, the AC power plugs (to charge cell phones, laptops, etc) were so loose the plug kept falling out. Neither

Military Beware Not Fit To Travel

from El Paso

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

Do not EVER and I repeat EVER take a greyhound bus ride. They are nothing less short of the nastiest people I have ever had customer service with. I took a trip from Charleston SC to El Paso Texas. The ride started out fine until I got to Atlanta GA. At 11:30 We were suppose to have left at 11:35. When I got on the bus with my carry on bag that I was told by the check in lady it was ok the bus driver told me to put it under the bus. I did not have Grey Hound insurance on that bag because it was never suppose to leave my hands. That bag has a $699 Camera in it. A $399 50mm Lens and a $160 70-200MM Sigma Lens in it. Then when I went to check the bag in and get back on the bus the bus driver shut the door on me and would not let me in and just stared at me for four minutes. I proceed to sit down two seats behind him the backup driver who was sick at the time was spraying lysol on her seats and sprayed me in the mouth. After that she said sorry sarcastically. As the bus started moving in motion the bus driver started with the rules and stated that their will be no use of fowl language on the bus. The passenger next to me then stated"what would be the punishment for using fowl language" the bus driver then replied "You know what the punishment would be young man" in reference to me. I stated to him that that was not me who said that and the lady next to me said that it was her the bus driver then proceeded to say "well ma'am if you are using fowl language it must be because of the young man next to you and we would have to kick him off the bus ". After all that and finally arriving in Dallas a day later I watched them throw my bag on its side as they unloaded the carriage. They broke the focusing mechanisms on my 50mm, and on my 70-200mm were now you can hear springs popping loose and it sticks. They would only refund me $250. if your driver has the right to make that decision he represents your company. You resume responsibility for his decisions

So bad it was almost funny!!!

from Hattiesburg Ms

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

Rude employees,dirty coaches and bus stations and the constant badgering up to the point of bullying by panhandlers at every stop, made my trip to Chicago THE worst trip I have ever taken....my own fault for trying to save twenty bucks from airfare...NEVER AGAIN!!!

Never ever, I will ride with them again!!

from Albuquerque nm

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

I was in Albuquerque NM, waiting for a bus to el Paso. The time schedule was at 5:20pm and the keep us until 1:30am. Saying every time we asked the the bus was almost there.
When we asked for a refund or discount, they said that was against their policy.
They are a punch of liers and thief's.

Never again

from Fredericksburg, Texas

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

Drove 1 1/2 hours to drop off point. We were there 30 minutes early. Bus did not stop, just drove right through. Was told that we should have been waving frantically for them to stop, otherwise they will just drive on by.

NEVER use greyhound

from Chicago Illinois

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

My sister had a trip on the greyhound bus that was set to begin at 7:30 from Knoxville Tennessee then she had to catch a connecting bus to Nashville Tennessee then from there on to Chicago. Well that's where the nightmare began. The bus she was set to get onto was running late then it broke down so it never made it to Knoxville. She sat there until 12:30 ish when the bus finally got in to get her and the others that were on their way to Nashville. Well that bus was late so they missed their connected that brings them to Chicago. Oh did I mention that 28 people had to get off her bus and onto that connecting bus to Chicago and they were only 11 minutes late.. Couldn't hold the bus long enough to fill half your bus. So my mom called hoping to find her a ticket to Chicago and they told her the next one leaves at 5 so because they were late 11 minutes they have to wait 2 hours to get to their destination. Now my 18 year old sister is trapped for another hour while she is being treated terribly by the staff at the Nashville location. The ticket lady told my mom on the phone that my sister had to go to the desk when she got to the terminal. My sister didn't know where she was going so she asked the security guard where to go and he rudely told her to get out of his way. They have been nothing but rude and promising us lies all night by saying that they will hold a but if it is 39 minutes or less late to arrive somewhere. Well greyhound people she was 11 minutes. So in conclusion greyhound will NEVER be used by my family or friends again. Everyone will be hearing about our experience and I hope and pray that no other family has to go through the disrespectful incompetent liars that make up the grey hound team. Have a wonderful day I know me and my family won't.

Absolutely Terrible

from California

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

If you want to get anywhere over hour and half later than expected time given, use this service.
Shocking bad
Never again
It's happened me twice where bus does not shock up to take me to destination until 1hr 30 min after departure time.

NEVER AGAIN

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

NEVER AGAIN. I was suckered in by the cheap advanced purchase ticket price. A big mistake. NASHVILLE LUGGAGE SCAM. They tried to charge me three times my original ticket price for my two travel bags. After I paid for my first bag they double charged for the next and refused a refund when I was forced to cancel the trip. Felony level extortion. Likewise; I was constantly being harassed by rude and pushy thugs disguised as security guards. Also; about a dozen other rude pushy plainclothes police who were everywhere, going over everyone and their things.as well. Also interrogating, at random, several of the passengers. On the way back from Mexico the bus was twelve hours late coming into Dallas where the employees pushed my luggage through the bottom of the bus then out the other side where his partner rapidly absconded with it. I never saw my bag again. At Dallas the exhausted driver walked away.Because we were twelve hours late we were told our tickets had expired and we were required to purchase additional ones.I managed to talk another employee into placing me on another bus, but the others were not so fortunate and were stranded. Also at Dallas and at Austin I was forced through police checkpoints with dogs going through our baggage as we were forced to walk through their checkpoints. When in Nashville I suggest another carrier, there are several others to choose from.

Pretty awful

Comments about Greyhound Bus Service:

There were two choices for departing times to visit a friend for a day: 5:30am and 8:00am. I chose 5:30am because I wanted to arrive at a reasonable time (12:50pm, instead of 5:05pm). I woke up at 4:15am only to catch a bus which was heavily delayed and caused me to catch up to a transfer from the 8:00am stop. To make things worse, the driver blamed us for causing delays. It seems like Greyhound assumes no liability for anything, so don't expect a refund back for anything, ever unless it's simply an unused ticket.