2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

• Accreditation:

Above and beyond all expectations

Grand Canyon's Education Graduate Program has succeed all of my expectations. I was very worried of being disappointed when I first started, but I picked this program for several reasons: 1. The program was ALL ONLINE! 2. Tuition was cheaper when compared to other graduate programs. 3. I could finish in 12-16 months. 4. The program was relative to my job. After starting off slow, one class at a time, I became very comfortable working with my professors and peers through our online community. The topics being studied were taught by experienced and very knowledgable professionals, who wanted nothing else but for us to be successful in our teaching jobs. The subjects studied are very relevant to my job, and I can take my newly learned material and immediately apply it to my job. Financial issues were a problem at first, but the college's business department will work with you and either assisst you with financial aid, or will set up a payment plan with you for a one time minimal fee. I am enjoying my classes so much now, that I've doubled up on my coursework, which will also allow me to complete my degree a little bit faster! Overall, I'am very pleased with my decision to obtain my Graduate degree from GCU.

Former Enrollment Counselor at GCU

I worked as an Enrollment Counselor at GCU in the former Utah location. My experience there was not a pleasant one. From my time there, I can say that the students' success is not as important as the money generated from the student and through financial aid.

There's a reason GCU was just sued by the Federal Government for 5.2 million dollars. They were mandating certain enrollment numbers or the Enrollment Counselors were put on disciplinary plans. This created a bad environment for the employees and for the students. Because of this many students enrolled into programs and then left shortly after, with a lot of student loans to pay back.

After some complaints, HR and some of the school's legal counsel flew in and interviewed some employees. Shortly after this, they came in one day in November of 2009 and told all of us we had to leave and then return the next day to collect our items. We were also given the option of a Severance Package offer of 4 months worth of pay to keep our mouths shut.

In my opinion the University showed its true character by trying to sweep the problems under the rug and simply pay people to keep their yappers shut. I'm sorry but wouldn't it have been better for them to fix their problems rather than cover them up?

If you're considering attending GCU, I would recommend you look at another school with higher ethical standards. If you do choose Grand Canyon University, good luck! I'll leave it at that!

I highly recommend Grand Canyon University online education

from California

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

I am an online student in the Master of Science in Professional Counseling program at Grand Canyon University.

Getting enrolled was effective and easy. Derek Harada, my enrollment advisor, was available to help guide me through the process. Professor Sheia Dwyer is organized, helpful, and informative.

My enrollment advisor, Derek Harada, is a wonderful enrollment advisor who gives me a phone call every week to see how I am doing in my online class.

My professor, Sheia Dwyer, gave me a phone call because she was concerned that I wouldn't successfully pass the online class. Professor Sheia Dwyer is very responsive and asks thought-provoking questions during the class.

This is the final week of my online class, and I am sad that the class is coming to an end. My experience as an online student at Grand Canyon University has been very positive and wonderful. I highly recommend Grand Canyon University.

Additionally, I have definitely felt that the overall quality of instruction has been great, and I feel that my paper writing skills, critical thinking skills, and research ability have definitely improved.

In my experience, you won't find another college where the professors genuinely care about helping their students be successful.

For my undergraduate degree, I graduated from the University of California Irvine. My online experience at Grand Canyon University is so much better than my UC Irvine traditional classroom experience.

The work is challenging, and the flexible schedule of online courses is hard to beat. I would definitely recommend Grand Canyon University's online programs!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Waste of time and money!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

I saw a commercial for this University on TV and they were offering a degree in something that I was really interested in so I looked them up and decided that I should sign up and try to achieve my higher education dreams. After signing up and seeing how expensive it would be, I tried to get help with financial aid through them since they said that they are there to help....yeah, not so much. I had to do everything by myself, they were no help at all, they would not even call me or email me back anytime I tried to talk to someone. After getting everything paid, the classes started and it was a JOKE! I could not believe how this was ran. You could seriously submit a piece of paper that says this class is junk and get an A on it. The teachers do not teach anything, it is a waste of time and you come out of all of these courses with no real grasp of anything, just a grade stating that you know something when you really don't. I will never go back to this school or recommend anyone to give them their time or money!

• Accreditation:

They only want your money

from Oxford, PA

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

This is a diploma mill, only they are as interested in charging your ridiculous rates and making a ton of money as they are providing diplomas, nevermind any actual learning. My entire two semesters here were a mess, and faculty was awful, administration was cold and calloused, and the entire process was a disappointment.

• Accreditation:

beginning to end, an awful experience

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

This is a for-profit, profit-driven, money hungry institution that is not even primarily about higher learning. The courses are taught by people who have little availability or interest in helping the students. The financial aid office is clearly profit driven, and you deal with like fifty different people throughout the process. Much better online options are available.

• Accreditation:

Read the reviews and keep your emails with the school

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

My experience with GCU is on-going, I am still a student there, but I would warn others away. The online system doesn't play well with new browsers (i.e. Chrome or IE8 or IE9) and I've had several assignments not make it to the instructor. Many of the classes have been repeats of other classes. I also was told that my program was two years only to find out a year later its actually three and a half. Many of my peers lack the basic skills to survive in a university classroom and am surprised that they are enrolled in 3rd year classes. Read all the reviews and make sure you keep all your email from the school.

Accreditation
After my experience I had to check to make sure. According to my state's Office of Public Instruction they are accredited, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Accreditation:

Not a Christian University - Lies and Deception"

from Scottsdale, AZ

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

I have never run into a university on-line or otherwise that charges more and gives less to students. I have several Master's Degrees already before taking courses at GCU for an MA in Education. This university runs you through a conveyor belt once you've paid the tuition - and forget about advise, help, or assistance.  I was promised help to obtain placement for the 175 of practicum hours required for the degree as I am working and not currently teaching. More than a year later I have not received help for a single placement despite phone calls, e-mails, promises and the most outrageous lies I've ever heard. How is this university Christian in any way? They lied to me about that as well. It is Christian in name only. They take your money, stifle any kind of feedback, promise you help and then lie to you or stop answering your communications. I guess they hope we will give up and stop trying to get answers. The university is compartmentalized to the degree that communication is completely stifled. Staff disappears continually so  they can't be too happy to work for GCU. The course content is mostly mindless busywork -  teachers(more like graders)  try to help but are mostly clueless about content themselves. In fact many of the "teachers" for the master's program do not even have master's degrees.The url links often are dead. The so-called library is mostly useless for research purposes. Most of the weekly literature doesn't relate to the poorly designed questions.  I completely regret my decision to  get my education degree at GCU. Unfortunately once they get you to enroll in the federal loan program you are more or less stuck. Beware of this terrible university!

Horrible--Don't do it!

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

HORRIBLE!! Do NOT start here! I feel most of the online reviews do are posted by people who work for this diploma factory. I went to a real college for a while, and the quality of this institution is not even close! I have had nothing but problems with GCU. From contacting my academic advisor to the experience I have had with the financial aid department--everyone is not helpful and just after your money. I met someone who actually stayed in the online classes until she received her diploma, and she had so much trouble finding a job. Graduate schools also wouldn't admit her even though GCU is "accredited." Do not fall for this trap like I did!

This is the worst experience and biggest headache I have ever encountered. Stay far, far away!!!

Class Selection
Classes shouldn't even be allowed to give credit. They were easier than the ones I took in high school!

Teaching Quality
Horrible

Financial Aid
This is the worst ever. They are only after your money and they have no shame about it. $2,000 for one class! GCU is not even close to worth it!

Accreditation
I will be complaining to whomever "accredited" this institution. There is no way GCU should be able to offer any courses.

Avoid GCU NP Program in Tucson!,,

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

GO TO ANOTHER UNIVERSITY! The profit driven administration is only interested in two numbers- new enrollments and financial aid. You will have a new academic advisor every month who does not know your background, how the administration workd, or how to handle an appeal. Your financial I'd will be the maximum GCU can arrange regardless of your request or input. You will have to find your own clinical and practical sites, despite needing to have your info in 8 weeks ahead so GCU can pretend they do placements. They ignore their looming contract end dates so you may walk into clinical one day and be asked to leave because GCUs contract ended so you're in HIPPA violation. The administration is held under the thumb go the Phoenix staff, but their internal communications are so bad it might a well be the Kiev office so they could claim translation problems. Many of us were in too deep to switch, but we can sure let potential enrollees know they should enroll - ELSEWHERE!

Class Selection
Standard classes

Teaching Quality
Some instructors are good - the majority are new due to the revolving GCU employment door. Most are adequate - some are really terrible, and student complaints are necessary- remember, administration lags due to the Phoenix control.

Financial Aid
They offer it, they pursue it hard because it's a stream of income for GCU, and you must be vigilant about it, because they will get you 'extra' and try NOT to help reconcile those errors. Meanwhile your debt piles up!

Accreditation
They don't deserve it with their Administrative problems - the curriculum is standard. We all just hoped they didn't lose accreditation before we graduated. Beware and go elsewhere.

If I could rate it zero, I would

from Surprise, AZ

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

My whole experience with GCU has been horrible and dreadful. First, I transferred from University of Phoenix because I figured I would be saving about 10k over the remainder of my schooling. Worst mistake. I have never dealt with such incompetent people. Upon transferring, I learned that credits that I was told were going to transfer were no longer eligible. Then, as I spoke to the financial advisor I was assured that I would receive enough financial aid to warrant taking two classes at once. After one month of noticing a balance on my account I called my financial advisor and academic advisor and I was informed that the balance was showing due to a technical issue and that I was cleared financially to take two courses at once. I got a call one month later from the manager of the financial advisor telling me that they made an error and I had to pay $2,800 out of pocket. Needless to say I was not happy and explained the situation. He then proceeded to say that I would be able to pay the balance with the next loan period. So, I asked that my credits be re-evaluated, my degree program changed, and for the exact amount of credits that I would be losing. 2 months later after countless emails and phone calls my credits were still not evaluated. I was fed up and transferred back to UofP. Within an hour my credits were evaluated and I was back in school. Because of GCU I was out of school for more than 3 months. I have been dealing with Senior Management since October, who are just as big as a disappointment. Phone calls and emails are not returned. After 3 months of being ignored I was forced to file a Better Business complaint. The advisors are not held accountable and if any error is made be prepared for the University to not acknowledge the mistake. This was a horrible experience.

Great Classes--Bad Administration

Comments about Grand Canyon University - Online Degrees:

MAYBE RECORD PHONE CALLS? GET A CONTRACT FOR EDUCATION THAT STATES THEY WILL PROMISE YOU A DEGREE IN A TIMELY MANNER AND NOT RAISE TUITION EVERY SEMESTER? I really don't know...

Financial Aid
They are inconsistent and maybe even illegal in dispensing certain scholarships and aid...