Other General Household Cleaners:
Goof Off

Pros

Cons

A million options when using Goof Off

I was unfamiliar with Goof Off until I moved in with one of my college roommates who had some. We didn't use it very often in college but when I moved out on my own and got married I found it to be incredibly useful.

When planning our wedding I bought a lot of decorations for the reception, ceremony, etc. All of the items were purchased from a place that always put their barcode on with a sticker. Before I was familiar with Goof Off I would have screamed and given up and had a sticker residue on our wedding day, but I didn't have to. I used a tiny bit (you only need a small amount) of Goof Off to remove the price stickers on frames that would hold our engagement pictures, etc. It was a dream come true. So easy!

I work at a bookstore for a publisher and we are often sending back excess books to the warehouse for internet distribution. We can't send the books back unless the pricing sticker is off and they appear to be "untouched" and "brand new". My co-workers were already using Goof Off when I was hired so this wasn't my idea but theirs. They were using it to take off the pricing stickers for the products in their store too. It made the books entirely new and untouched looking and perfect for resell.

The product will also remove permanent marker off of books too! :)

Goof Off can be found at many places for very little cash. If you haven't tried it yet I would suggest you go grab a can!

Works Well, But I Can't Overlook the Toxic Smell

One morning I was futilely attempting to clean some sticker and candle wax residue off of a couple of candle holders. I suddenly remembered that I had a small container of Goof Off in...Read complete review

One morning I was futilely attempting to clean some sticker and candle wax residue off of a couple of candle holders. I suddenly remembered that I had a small container of Goof Off in my pantry.

I poured a small amount of the liquid onto a rag, and that's when I realized I'd probably never use it again. You can literally smell the toxic chemicals that are contained in this product.

Goof Off dissolved the adhesive in record time and my candleholders were pristine, with no trace of residue. And yet, even though Goof Off did an outstanding job of cleaning my items, I won't use it again. The toxicity of the product just isn't worth it to me. If you do decide to try it, be sure and heed all of the warnings (there are many) and keep safety foremost in your mind.

Goof Off has a strong chemical smell that is reminiscent of lighter fluid, In fact, the warnings on the back of the container take up more space than the directions. Not only is it flammable, the vapor is harmful and is a known eye irritant. There is even a cancer warning for residents of California (what about the rest of us?)

A weird product, but it sure does work!

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

I don;t know what Goof Off is, but it sure does work. We keep this in our house at all times. It is a product that has a million and one uses. I'm sure we haven;t scratched the surface for all the things it will work on. The product itself is meant to be used to remove marks or stains that won;t come off with a simple cleaning. You can use it for paint, magic marker and all kinds of difficult marks and stains. It usually doesn't harm the surface you're cleaning, but it is always a good idea to test a small patch first, just to be sure. There have been many times when we get a stain or mark and forget that we have Goof Off. Sooner or later we remember it and it almost always does the trick. I have to say that it does tend to be a little greasy, but that usually doesn't cause a problem. It also has a funky smell, but we don;t care about that, since getting the stain off is always worth the trade-off of enduring a little stink. Goof Off is a great product and one that every house should have. Highly recommend it.

Wonderful Product...I Was Originally VERY Skeptical

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

I have a bottle of this in my cleaning cabinet right now. Here is the whole story: my husband and I love to find stuff on the side of the road (for the garbage man) and use it or repurpose it. You would be amazed at what we have found. A few years back, I found a wonderful wood secretary desk (the kind that folds up and down so your junk is covered). It had two problems - there were a lot of bugs in it, and it had white spray paint spots in several areas, like someone had done a project next to it and was not very careful. So, we removed the bugs with bug spray, and then I was stumped about the paint. Since the item was free, if we ruined it, it didn't matter. So, we decided to try Goof Off on the wood. It took the paint almost right off, just a little bit of scrubbing (which is to be expected). I tried to be careful about how much I put on, so it did not strip the wood. I think it did well overall. I have been using the desk for more than a year since I used the Goof Off, and it still looks nice, I couldn't tell the difference in the condition of the wood before and after. I would not recommend using this on something wood that is very valuable (a grandfather clock for instance), unless the piece would be trash without removing the paint. However, for a DIY project to try and repurpose or fix something, this little cleaner does the trick.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

I've been using this product now for nearly ten years. I originally bought it to get rid of tape residue on things around the house. It worked so well I decided to take it to work and try it out. Working in a casino, there is lots of gummy reside from all of the different signage, stickers we put on gaming machines for advertising and other reasons like disclaimers Etc. Since we do so much of this putting on taking off of signage there was a real mess with the residue. We tried some standard blue glass cleaner and it didn't work without a lot of effort. With Goof Off, I can remove all of the residue quickly and it saves me an amazing amount of time.

It works great for removing, sticky substances like tape reside, contact cement residue, crayon marks, pen marks, most gummy substances from stickers etc.

I have to say this stuff does not smell good as far as I'm concerned. Be sure to use plenty of ventilation when using this product and keep away from breathing the fumes and wear eye protection. As always, read the safety precautions.

Truly is a miracle

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

My daughter dropped a bottle of fingernail polish on her bathroom floor and didnt get all of it cleaned up in time. I didnt have any finger nail polish remover at the time but my husband did have a can of goof off the ultimate remover in our basement. I used some and it took the nail polish off right away. The smell is very strong but it really works. I also used good off on stickers that were stuck on a car window and splattered latex paint that had dripped and dried before we saw it. I will always keep a little can of this in our house.

Works great

It is very strong and kind of made me sick.

I love this product!

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

I have used this product a few times in the past. I have always loved how well it gets messes off but I was absolutely astounded the last time I used it. I had been stacking and cutting up firewood and got tree sap all over my hands and without realizing it stuck my hands in my pockets on the way back to the house. Much to my dismay the next time I put my hands in my pockets the inside of the jacket was all sticky. I had my doubts this would work but I put some goof off in the pockets and scrubbed it in good and it came right out! I am now a devoted fan to this product and will always keep it on hand! If it can get tree sap out of your clothing then it will get up any goof you make!

Anything that can get tree sap out of your clothing, obviously works well. I could not ask for better performance from this product! It is now a must have in my house.

I didn't realize notice an overpowering or lingering scent.

Great Stuff

from New Jersey

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

This stuff must be magical. Where as nothing is perfect, I use this product every time I have some kind of stain. I could say that I use it hoping it will take out super tough stains, and to my surprise it does, but I have been using it for a long enough time to know that the magic will happen. I am glad that it is so easy to obtain because I would be so lost without it.

Where as I would like to leave this rating as a 9 to leave space for improvement, I have to rate it as a 10 because it is so good. I use a few different stain removers, but this one is my favorite, as it is the most powerful one I have yet to discover. I often spray it on any stain, and then throw it in the wash.

Stain removers are usually heavily scented, but I don't mind when they do what they are meant to. I spray it on, leave it, and then throw it in the wash. I don't find that any of these smells stay on my clothing after they are washed out. And then the benefit...my clothes are nice and clean.

Works Well, But I Can't Overlook the Toxic Smell

from Chicagoland, IL

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

Works great removing lable goo

from Elburn, IL

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

I recycle wine and liquor bottles for my home-made drinks, and removing the labels and the resulting goo left behind is a messy time consuming job.  I would soak the bottles in water and then scrape and am left with a slimey sticky residue.  In the past, I have used WD40; but it is so oily and smelly, and requires several applications.  I recently discovered Goof Off, the bottle calls it "the miracle remover".  I was surprised at how well it really works. You squirt a bit of the liquid on the label you are trying to remove, wait a bit, and them it comes right off.  Makes recycling the bottles a breeze compared to what I had done in the past.  Lots of warnings on the package though.  It says it may damage plastic, carpets and worn vinyl floors.  So be careful where you use it and on what surfaces.  It contains acetone.  I didn't feel it had an overwhelming odor.  The WD40 smell was much worse.

A million options when using Goof Off

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

The product will also remove permanent marker off of books too! :)

Old things are made new with Goof Off.

from Little Chute, WI

Comments about Goof Off The Ultimate Remover:

Goof Off will take off any marker or marking, just beware of your paint that you want to stay on. I notice it works best on plastics and metals.Be cautious around wood and keep far away from cloth. The smell is horrific and needs to be used in a well ventilated area or causes me dizziness. I would never use it around small children.

I am the biggest bargain hunter that ever existed. There is nothing better than finding something with tags still on showing you just paid a fraction of what the stores tried to sell it as. The problem is even with things almost brand new thrift shops and rummage sales often mark prices right on the item. This takes it off without a whisper of a trace. My daughter's wagon, doll house and bike all look brand new. My son now has mark free GI Joes from the 80's (originally someone had marker all over the face). On my plastic outdoor furniture it revived and brought a whole new era to my chairs and tables. On plastic covered books it works or used video game covers.