Other Magazines:
Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping

If I was on a desert island, I'd like this magazine with me.

I've read just about every issue of Good Housekeeping magazine since I was eleven years old.  My mom still subscribes to this magazine and I catch up on the issues each time I...Read complete review

I've read just about every issue of Good Housekeeping magazine since I was eleven years old.  My mom still subscribes to this magazine and I catch up on the issues each time I visit her.

What I like most about the magazine are the human interest stories they feature each month.  The articles have a sense of genuiness, leaving the reader with the feeling that they've walked along for the journey in each story.

I've cut out so many recipes over the years but one recipe really stands out, a recipe for banana cake that cooks perfectly each time.  I've adapted it and made pumpkin bread out of the same recipe.  The recipes that are featured in Good Housekeeping are down-to-earth recipes--I find this appealing because I don't have to hunt for exotic ingredients.

Each issue contains a short fiction story, advice columns, a beauty section, and often an article focusing on home life-- organizational tips, etc.

The Christmas issue features gingerbread houses and each year, the houses seem to be more and more elaborate and amazing.  And you can't beat the Christmas cookie recipes!

Good Housekeeping - Shame on them and their scam.

I subscribe to Good Housekeeping. Now, I am double subscribed. Sigh.

I subscribe to Good Housekeeping. Now, I am double subscribed. Sigh.

Someone on a forum mentioned that Good Housekeeping has a product testing panel. I do some product testing for other companies, so this did not raise any red flags.

The sign up page is here:

I filled out the form. Notice that it does say "no purchase necessary."

Almost immediately I got an email thanking me for subscribing to Good Housekeeping. The email said not to respond as it was an auto email. It also stated that it would be impossible to cancel immediately - to wait.

Here is what the email said:

"This is an auto-generated email, please do not reply. If any information is incorrect, or if you need to contact customer service for any reason, we ask that you wait at least one week for your order to be processed and your information to appear in our system. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of first issue."

Of course, they do not include any way to get in touch with customer service. I guess I can now look that up. I do not appreciate how they are wasting my time either.

Today I got my bill. Again, there is no real way to contact about a problem. The billing company apparently does not have a telephone or an email. Yeah right. You know they just don't want to hear about cancellations.

As I mentioned, I am a subscriber and have been. I certainly won't be in the future.

The panel sign up with an auto subscription and no way to make contact to cancel is really shady. I would expect better from Good Housekeeping.

Good Housekeeping Has It All

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

This magazine gets a 10 from me! There really is a little bit of everything in this magazine and has articles for a variety of people. There is always someone interesting on the cover and they do a great job of telling their story, be it an actor/actress, athlete or ordinary citizen. The magazine is broken down into categories such as: looking good, feeling good, good food, good house, good company, and finally good reads. They have a great layout, awesome pictures throughout and also they have contests and sweepstakes! I have been a subscriber to this for years and will continue to read is regularly. Would recommend to anybody for a great read!

Hate it!

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

As a 60 something, I use to love Good Housekeeping. I use to love the articles and
stories that were in it. Now I can't stand to read it. Too many articles on products. Bring back the stories. So many of my friends dislike it, also. Can't see why it gets good ratings.

What a surprise!

from Brandon, MS

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

I was so surprised when I picked up a copy of Good Housekeeping. It has been years since I've read this magazine and to be honest I stopped because it stopped being relevant to my lifestyle. I was amazed at how it had been updated - it was relevant, interesting, and very well put together. The formatting had changed and was very eye pleasing covering a wide variety of subjects that I could relate to. It was no longer the 'old lady's' magazine that I remembered it as being. It had fresh look that would appeal to a wide variety of age groups.

Good Family Magazine

from Flint, MI

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

I was a past subscriber for many years.  I do not like all the advertisements in the magazine.  There are more ads than there are articles.  The magazine no longer seems to be the bargain that it used to be.  After the subscription ran out they kept sending me renewal notices.  This cost could be alleviated and used as a savings to current subscribers.  One or 2 notices are enough, we don't need 4 or 5.

I have been reading this since I was 10 or 11!!!

from Bixby, OK

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

I have been reading this magazine since I was a kid.  My grandmother subscribed and I would spend summers at her house reading her old issues.  This magazine is affordable, informative, and fun!!  I love the articles, the people they feature on the cover, etc.  I must say I am a little tired of the McCauley Septuplets, but that's ok!!  I read this every month and hardly ever toss old my old copies!

Great magazine for family living

from Julian, PA

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

This magazine is wonderful for everyday living idea that would be easily implimented in the home without much cost.  The articles are very interesting and applicable to real people in real life situations.  Also very usable recipes.  The only downside would be the number of advertisements...but what magazine doesn't have too many ads.

Good Housekeeping is the best magazine for women out there.

from Grove, OK

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

I have been a subscriber of Good Housekeeping for 30 years. It is the best magazine for women that I know of. It has cooking, fashion, beauty, gardening, decorating, short stories and much more. It also keeps you updated on celebrities and the latest news stories. It is great on health topics. The magazine has always kept up with the times. I would recommend it to anyone who loves to read as I do.

Tons of Information

from Branford, CT

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

I've been subscribed to Good Housekeeping for about 4 to 5 years now.  I look forward to getting the magazine every month.  I love to read all of the tips they have.  Things I would never think of.  I love to read the advice columns.  It's amazing the things they cover!  There are many stories that are inspirational.  I also look forward to getting the latest bargains and gadgets they find.  And I trust their review of products.  However, the decorating and organizing idea's are never geared towards a home that is modern or contemporary.  Mostly it is for a home decorated with colonial or cottage styles.   Other than that I have enjoyed my years with Good Housekeeping and look forward to the new idea's they'll have.

Great reading

from Bridgewater, NJ

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

Love this magazine. It has great articles for all readers. There are wonderful recipes that everyone can relate to, even vegetarians like myself. The articles are always interesting and inspiring. Love the advise and tips that are in every monthly magazine. Overall great magazine that I recommend to any reader.

good magazine, have enjoyed it for many years

from Scottsbluff, NE

Comments about Good Housekeeping:

i have subscribed to good housekeeping on and off over many years and have always enjoyed the magazine.  It has a variety of items to look at in it from stories to ads to touching articles on everything from movie stars to animals.  I like the variety, they should keep up the good work.  The only critic i have is that they used to have longer book stories by famous authors than they do now.