Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:
Can Openers
Good Cooks
Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener

Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener

Takes some practice but works great once you know how to use it!

My boyfriend bought me this can opener so that I wouldn't have to use my tupperware every single time I open a can of cranberry sauce.  The Quattro SafeCut Can Opener cuts the lid off in a way that allows you to put the lid back on the can after it's cut off.  This way if you don't use everything in the can you don't have to dump the contents into a tupperware container-you can just put the lid back on and stick it in the fridge!

It's a little tricky to use at first.  First, you need to know which side of the can to cut open; if you try it on the wrong side it will not work. I've noticed that frequently you have to cut the bottom side so that the can is "upside-down".  Also, it doesn't hook on to the can quite the same way a regular manual can opener does.  It actually doesn't require nearly as much effort, however the first couple of times I tried it I was not succeeding simply because I kept trying to "catch" the lid - and you only really need to rest the can opener on the lid.

The can opener also has a little attachment that allows you to pick up the cut lid with the device itself vs. with your fingers.

Overall it's a great device and very handy, just takes a few times to figure out how to use it first.

Not a bad can opener, but it's almost 50-50 if it works right.

I purchased the Good Cooks Can Opener because it opens cans w/o leaving jagged edges. My daughter almost cut herself with the edges left by a conventional can opener and this seemed like it a better opener. The problem is many cans have such good sealant around the rim that this can opener can't cut through cleanly to leave the cover loose enough to lift up easily, so many of the cans end up looking like they've been pried open. It's also difficult sometimes to get the cutting mechanism to fit on the can lid properly. However, for the cans on which this product does work well, the edges are smooth and clean without jagged edges.

On retrospect, it's obviously the way to open cans

from Capitola, CA

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

As prosaic as it seems, a better can opener can make the mundane a little more civilized.The can opener was invented decades after the can (before that, one used a metal chisel to open them). I supposed that until technology allowed a affordable precision tool, the gross and heavy-handed protocol of cutting the inner angle of a can lid was the best the mass market could enjoy.This can open has a discreet circular blade hidden under a large, benign U-shaped ring on the side of the tool. Once the small grabbing wheel attached to the handle starts turning the can (seemingly without any resistance), this tiny blade cuts the side of the lid until, surprisingly quickly, one finds oneself holding a reusable lid with no sharp edges connected solely to the can opener and not at all to the can.The contents of the can do not rinse over the the blade or the opener (piercing can openers are often the dirtiest thing in the kitchen). The lid fits back on the can neatly (although not securly).

Takes some practice but works great once you know how to use it!

from Concord, CA

Have owned two SafeCut Can Openers

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

First off, I do love this SafeCut Can Opener!  Cutting the sharp edging off the cans is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.  And this can opener does a good job doing just that.  To me, it's just as easy as using any other manual powered can opener, although a little more expensive than one.  But it's worth the extra cost to not have those sharp edges.  I especially liked that when my children were younger and hanging out in the kitchen with me, and later when they wanted to help me. One less worry that they'd get hurt. :)

I just read another review that mentioned this can opener would break if washed with warm water.  I'm currently on my second SafeCut Can Opener, because my first one broke after a few washings.  Whether that's related to what this other reviewer stated, or if it was just a coincidence, I don't know.  Sometimes you just get a bad item to start with. :(  So far, so good with my second one, though.

Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener... LOVE it!!

from Chilton, WI

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

I had an electric can opener for about 3 years, and the darn thing just stopped. I wasn't surprised, since it didn't seem to function well right from the start. I had been looking for an opener that wouldn't leave sharp edges.  The battery-operated one left VERY sharp edges on the can... then I discovered Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener. It's easy to use. It works well, even on those large-sized cans. It doesn't leave a sharp edge on the lid OR on the can.  The only downside is the adhesive used on the can to bind the lid to it. Some cans have a bit too much, and you have to be careful to remove it with the lid. Don't want that stuff in the food!!  I would highly recommend this can opener. Yes, you have to turn the handle manually, but it's very easy to do. I cannot speak for left-handed use, but for a right hander, it's great!  I hope that this review is helpful. I wish that I had found viewpoints sooner. This place is very informative!

Great Can Opener

from Edmond, OK

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

This is a great can opener!  It is easy to you.  It does not take too much pressure to attach it to the edge of the can.  Moving the opener around the can lid is easy.  It doesn't take too much work.  I definitely think it is easier to use than an old-fashioned hand held can opener.  I have a hard time telling when I have gone all the way around the can, but I'm getting better at it.  The first couple time I used it, I probably went around the lid three times.  Now it's easier.

After cutting the edge, I pry it off with the little beak on the can opener.  The best part about this opener is that it leaves no sharp and raw edge.  The lid fits back on perfectly as well.  It's really great for dog food, because it nearly seals itself closed, and you can save half of the can for later without having to get our plastic wrap, or smelling that lovely dog-food smell.

We are big fans of this opener!

Good Cooks Can Opener works as well as Pampered Chef's

from Ringgold, GA

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

This can opener works as well as Pampered Chef's smooth edge can opener for a fraction of the cost. The only problem, as it is with all the smooth edge can openers, is that other people who visit your home, don't know how to work it.

The Good Cooks Can Opener is safer and more easier to use.

from Sapulpa, OK

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

The Good Cooks Can Opener is an absolute help to cooking. You dont even have to worry about childern using it when they help out because its unique way of cutting open the can or cans leaves no sharp edges of the cut at all. Its easy to use and looks like the revolutionary kitchen can opener it is. I give it five stars.

Not a bad can opener, but it's almost 50-50 if it works right.

from Buffalo, NY

Simple, Safe, Inexpensive

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

I like a manual can opener. There is no power needed.  There is no appliance on the counter or screwed underneath it. I also notice that many people do not clean the grime that builds up on their electric openers. That really makes me a little queasy. I've used a manual for years because I can put it in the dishwasher.

I was really excited to find this one. It cuts well and turns easily, but most importantly it cuts the side of the can. That has two benefits. First, the way this cuts doesn't leave sharp edges on the lid to cut small fingers or other unintended things. I recycle cans, so with this can opener there is no hazard to the recycle collector. The second advantage is that there is no contact between the blade and the food inside the can. I put it in the dishwasher less often and that has to be better for the longevity of blade.

There is also a craft project you can do with the use of this can opener.  If you buy a can with a pull off top and use the can opener to open it, the pop-top remains intact.  You can then run it through the dish washer, fill it with a treat or gift, decorate it with wrapping paper or scrap booking supplies and use a very strong glue to re-attach the lid.  The recipient of this gift uses the pop top to open the present.  It's a pretty neat trick and a cool way to recycle.

Oustanding, easy, and safe way to open cans.

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about Good Cooks Quattro SafeCut 4-in-1 Can Opener:

This is a great can opener...simple, affordable and safe.

This is a durable item, and the hardest thing about it is where to put the little metal ring so you can start opening the can.  Instructions are included.  This eliminates sharp edges and is easy to turn.

I have bought these for friends and work, after buying one for myself!