Other Cat Toys:
Go-cats
Go-cats Da Bird

Go-cats Da Bird

Da Bird Cat Toy

I purchased the Da Bird cat toy for my cat 1 year ago and it has been the best toy purchase. My cat is not easily-amused and she never fails to go 'crazy' with this toy. The wand is fairly long, as is the string attaching the feather. These two things allow you to stand or sit in one place and still wave it around the room. The second great thinga bout this toy is the WAY that it moves through the air. The arrangement of the feathers make it flutter through the air and occasionally spin, making it's movement very-bird like. Althoug I believe my cat is aware that the toy is attached to a string, she completely ignores it and acts like the toy is a real bird. I have to keep this toy in the closet when not using and my cat's eyes always light up when I bring it out.

My cat loved chasing laser pointers at first, but became gradually less amused. After 1 and a half years of the bird toy, however, interest has not faded. This is also a FABULOUS toy if you are watching your cat's weight and/or want a toy that will really exercise your cat.

CONS:

The only con is that the feather doesn't last forever. Depending on your cat, you may need to get a replacement feather. I have not needed to replace the feather yet, however. Some of the reviews state that the string is elastic. My toy doesn't have an elastic string, but a black nylon string that appears very durable. Pole also comes in a 2-piece version for easier storage.

more trouble and money than it's worth

i had read somewhere that Da Bird is pretty much the best cat toy there is, so i went out and bought one.

in the end, i was not...Read complete review

in the end, i was not impressed.  my cats aren't too picky when it comes to toys, and they were no more amused by this one than any other wand / dangly type toy i've ever brought home.

for my cats, what typically seems to grab their attention most about a wand / lure type toy is the movement of it.  toys that involve a springy wire, such as the Cat Dancer, produce erratic movements similar to flying insects, and the motion makes the cats excited about catching something as boring as a couple of little pieces of cardboard.  the Cat Charmer is basically a fleece ribbon at the end of a stick, and it produces a great flowing movement that keeps the cats guessing.  but then of course, my cats also love feathers, so the wands that feature a clump of feathers and curling ribbon at the end are also a big hit.

as for Da Bird, it has a really long pole.  it breaks down into 2 pieces for storage, which is good, and in theory at least, the long pole helps reduce the chances of a cat catching your hand with its claws if they get really energetic and start jumping around after the lure.  but unless you've got a good-size room to play in with few breakables or other things to interfere, the length of the pole can make it difficult to work with.  literally, it's about 3' long.  between light fixtures and furniture and walls, i found that i was constantly whacking things with the pole as i tried to swish the lure around vigorously.

and then there's the "movement" of the toy.  beyond the pole, it is basically just a clump of feathers at the end of a piece of string.  some other toys are designed to move in interesting ways with little to no real effort, but not this one.  that's part of why i was constantly hitting things with the pole...because in order to really make that dangling clump of feathers move, it's all up to you, and vigorous motion is essential.  once i got it moving, in the few brief seconds before the toy collided with a book shelf or TV antenna, the cats were interested, sure...but not as much so as with other, less expensive toys that are easier to use.  in fact, nothing made them happier than when i gave up, removed the lure, and simply let them have their way with it.

i considered buying replacement lures and giving it another try, but after seeing the price tag on the replacements...forget it!!  with the other dangly / wand type toys, i could buy a whole new toy for that and the cats and i both would like it better!

Fly This Bird Around Your Living Room To Get Your Cats Running

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

Da Bird is a great toy to get your cat's heart racing. The Da Bird toy is a long flexible "wand" that is connected to a string that has a metal connection that you can use to connect feathers or other items for your cat to chase.

The feather toy has a rubber cap that connects to the string and 4 fluffy feathers that really end up looking and behaving like a bird when you use the wand to get the feathers flying. When my cats first saw these feathers flying, it really got their heart racing.

Because of the long flexible wand and the long string, anyone can sit comfortably in a chair and get this "bird to fly all over your living room to get your cat chasing and jumping to catch it. (It's like the bird is on the end of a fishing pole.) You can have the bird fly under the coffee table to hide or onto a chair for the cat to pounce on, so without much effort on your part, you can get your cat running and jumping all over the house.

This toy (or at least the feathers) don't last forever. My cats will eventually catch it and will manage to get a feather off. (I think it can be used until the final feather is removed though.) You can get streamers or other attachments for this toy, but I think the feathers "fly" the best.

My cats go bonkers for this toy

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

My two cats love Da Bird. One of them will leap high in the air and do back-flips trying to catch it. The other kitty stays out of the way until the first one is tired, and then prefers to chase and bat at it while keeping at least one paw on the ground. There are loads of videos of cats playing with this toy on YouTube (including mine), if you want to see it in action.

Da Bird wand toy

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

This is a wonderful toy if you use the the actual "feathers" and not the fluffy foo foos. I have found most cats don't care for the fluff but really enjoy the heavier weight feathers which does appear to be a "bird in flight". Sometimes you do get bad wands that don't want to stick together to make it longer. No a huge issue for me but could be for someone else.

Da Bird will get your feline couch potato to run, jump and play!

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

I have bought so many different kinds of interactive cat toys and my cats usually just stare at me as I wave them around. When I bought a Da Bird for them I thought I'd get the same reaction. Boy was I surprised! All 3 of them couldn't wait to catch "the birdie". Christopher Cody, the biggest couch potato of the bunch, was actually jumping up in the air. I've never seen him do that before.

My cats are indoor only so it's nice to have a way to get them to exercise. The only down side to Da Bird is that they quickly chew up the feather and I have to buy a replacement. However, being able to get them to play is well worth it. It's so much fun watching my grown up cats acting like kittens again!

The cats love Da Bird!

from Ann Arbor, MI

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

This toy is one of the best, for all the cats. When we first got it, it instantly got the attention of all of our cats. Somehow, the way the toy is built, (maybe the shape of the feathers?) it flies in a more alluring way. It's easy to get a little tangled up and it's not a good toy if you don't have at least a little room, but I haven't seen a cat yet that doesn't enjoy it. One of my cats will catch it and drag it off and refuse to give it up.

The only thing is that because they love playing with it so much, they'll chew it up if I leave it out, and the refills aren't cheap. Even if I try to keep it out of the way, the feathers will only last about a month, although, I have three cats that like to play with them, so that may contribute to it. I think if you try to keep it in good shape, it should last awhile. Still, this toy is worth every cent, even the refills, because the cats love it so much.

Go-cats Da Bird is the best cat toy

from Erie, PA

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

My sister bought a Go-cats Da Bird years ago at a local cat show and it has been a huge hit will all of our cats. We have bought quite a few replaceable attachments over the years and the feather ones seems to be the cat's favorite. The Go-cats Da Bird has outlived tons of cat toys that have come into to my house. Da Bird is also extremely durable, we still have the original Da Bird we've had for at least ten years now and it still looks pretty good. I have never seen my cats enjoy a toy as much as they do Da Bird. My only complaint would be that the replaceable attachments are a bit pricey. However I would still recommend the Go-cats Da Bird to any cat owner looking for the best cat toy out there.

Da Bird Cat Toy

from San Marino, CA

CONS:

Best cat toy ever

from Barrington, RI

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

We had ordered our da bird and were waiting for it to come in the mail and decided in the meantime to get another feather teaser at a local store. He liked the othre eaher teaser, but I felt like I had never really seen him until I pulled out da bird. He was instantly enthralled. He will literally play with it until he is out of breath and can barely move. I've gotten to the point where I put it in the closet because he will play with it regardless of whether anyone is holding it. It would be great if they made a holder of some type for it because he can easily amuse himself with it. I left it out when we weer gone for a few days and came back and it looked like that was all he did. The feather, while he has really battered it beyond belief, was still intact though it could use a new one. He had chewed through the cord, but it was easy enough to tie it back on. We will definitely be getting more refills!

cats' favorite toy

from Stockholm, NJ

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

This toy in particular is the favorite amongst all three cats in the household. Whether your cat enjoys jumping or just biting/scratching around, this toy will certainly provide the playful type with thrill. The only downside is that it has to be replaced often due to one of our roudy cats. If you have a very playful cat, chances are the toy won't last very long.

Nice interactive cat toy, but my cat wore through it quickly!

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Go-cats Da Bird:

Go-cats Da Bird is indeed a nice interactive cat toy, but my cat did quickly wear through it.  He's a rough player, especially with interactive toys.  And any like this one he's able to eventually chew through the elastic string attached to the wand and then runs away with the attached feather toy.  Sometimes I am able to retie the string to the wand, but inevitably it comes off again after a few more rounds of play.  If they could just come up with a string that can't be chewed through by rough playing cats, perhaps I'd buy more.  Even my previous cat, who passed away, would do the same with this toy, and he was a more gentler player!  I don't know if it is possible to find something sturdier to use for attaching the toy to the wand, but there must be something out there that won't be easily chewed through and that won't hurt a cat's teeth?  In the meantime, I continue to buy these because it adds variety to his interactive toys - I just try to limit playing with them.