Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:
Glad
Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags

Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags

A Little Expensive, Occasional Convenience

I bought these **Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags** just recently. I've since found out that they have been around for years. Normally, I use a steamer basket for vegetables, or I have a special microwaveable container for fish and meats, if I choose to do a microwave recipe. Usually, I only use a microwave for reheating. Well, these bags are convenient in a jiffy, if you just want to try some veggies, or a simple meal that can be put together fast.

**Glads SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags** look like smaller freezer bags (9.13" x 5.55' x 3.93") with a sealable top. They're not that big, but, big enough to add some veggies and fish, microwave for a few minutes, and produce a convenient, 2-3  portion serving size of food. I've used them for asparagus, broccoli, carrots, green beans, potatoes, fish, shrimp, and scrambled eggs and cinnamon apples.

**Why use them**? Well, they do the cooking job pretty quickly. There is no boiling water, no extra pots, no cleaning up,  and no filling up the sink with dirty pots and pans. Just get your vegetables, or whatever recipe you may be using, insert  the necessary ingredients into the bag, and follow the cooking directions. The cooking directions are prominently displayed on the bag for some vegetables.  The bags also stand upright as they cook. You may obtain additional recipes from their website.

I usually have to experiment to get the right texture with my vegetables, though. Some cooking times will vary depending on your microwave. These cooking times range from 3-4 minutes for 3 cups of broccoli, to 7-8 minutes for two medium potatoes.

They include a website for additional vegetables and recipes to use with SimplyCooking Bags. I especially love their Ginger Lime Fish Fillet recipe on the box. It really turns out delicious. As with any recipe though, you must experiment with the times a little, to arrive at the correct vegetable texture and "doneness" for you. These bags use a heat-resistant material that is food and microwave safe, as well.

I have overcooked both asparaus and green beans with these bags. So, you have some trial and error involved. Now, I've learned to undercook veggies a little, and then add an incremental 30 second spurt to reach the desired results. I've done this many times with different veggies. Check out their website for more ideas in using these bags. www.Glad.com/SimplyCooking

**DIRECTIONS:  Open** a bag and **Place** washed vegetables inside. **No water necessary**. **Seal**, and **Press **the zipper shut. **Cook** for the suggested cooktime. **Serve**  after waiting 30 seconds before opening. **Use one-time only**.

**MY OPINION:  **I've used these on occasion, but, I wouldn't use them on a regular basis. I think that they're a little wasteful. You can only use them one time, and then you must throw them away.  Also, this plastic just adds waste to landfills, too. They are convenient for those occasional times when you're in a hurry, and you need something cooked pretty fast. But, they won't replace my steamer basket, or my other microwave safe cooking container. So, there a novelty idea with a limited future for me.

Microwave steamer bags by Glad - interesting idea.

There was a lady at Food Lion with a display for the new Glad Simply Cooking bags. I stopped and spoke with her. I'd guess it gets pretty dull just standing around the grocery...Read complete review

There was a lady at Food Lion with a display for the new Glad Simply Cooking bags. I stopped and spoke with her. I'd guess it gets pretty dull just standing around the grocery store.

She explained that these bags are really simple to use. Just put some vegetables in, zip the bag, microwave. That's it. They even list the times on the bag for some common veggies.

I had the urge for some asparagus, so I bought a bundle. It said on the Glad bags to cook for 3 to 4 minutes for fresh. That's quick.

I put my asparagus in the bag and zipped it up like a baggie. I double checked to see that I was actually supposed to do that. I had images of exploding marshmallows and such in my head. But, the bag is supposed to be zipped.

When I put the bag in the microwave, it puffed up. That was pretty neat. The bag got all wet as did the entire inside of the microwave. Once the bag was removed it began shrinking back to the normal size. The directions call for waiting 30 seconds before removing food to prevent getting steam burns.

I cooked my aspargus for the 4 minutes, and it was all shriveled up. Sigh. I do so love asparagus. It was edible but not great.

Next time I'll go with the shorter end of the cooking time. I'm sure I oversteamed my asparagus. I also needed to add seasonings. I didn't think about it, so the asparagus was really bland.

Glad has a site up to help with the bags, and that's a good idea. It would take a little practice to get foods just right in these. I think I may try the mashed potato recipe and perhaps the omlette. Both of those sound good though they could be made in the microwave without the bags. As for the hot dogs, I can't imagine using a zip bag to microwave a hot dog. Just poke a hole in those and wrap them in a paper towel. They cook just fine without buying bags.

The price isn't bad - about 30 cents per bag. On the other hand, you can buy a microwave steamer and use it over and over and only invest once.

I enjoyed trying out these new bags, but I'm not sure that I'd buy more. The idea is neat. But, I didn't too real well with that aspargus. I wish I'd just steamed it like I usually do. Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes.

Convenient Steaming and No Pots Pans or Dishes to Wash

from Crystal Lake, IL

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming Bags are basically zip lock bags that you can use in the microwave to steam cook many different foods. When these zip lock bags are laying flat they are in the shape of a bowl. When you open the bags up and place your hand inside and poof the bag out, the bag stands up like a bowl. The bag is perfectly sized for 3 cups of what ever. After placing what ever you are planning or steaming in the bag you then zip it up like you would any zip lock bag. You place it in the microwave for the specified amount of time, and then after it is done cooking you wait 30 seconds before tearing open the bag, and wa la your food is cooked. You can then remove the food and toss the bag.

There is no need to add extra water, when cooking vegetables, as the steaming process will bring out liquid as the food cooks. The steaming process also helps to seal in nutrients, flavor, and color.

What Can You Cook

You may have seen the commercial for these bags on television, these commercials really underestimate this product and don’t do it justice because you can cook many more things than just vegetables in these bags.

The bags are pretty convenient for cooking vegetables, there is a listing of vegatables along with the cooking times for fresh or frozen right on the bag. There is also a time chart for fish and shrimp.

It seems like the bag holds about 3 to 4 servings of vegetables, but only about 1 or 2 servings for other things so for a family you might need to use more than one bag at once if you are cooking something like the beef stroganoff. Hopefully they will come out with a larger family sized bag of these.

Be careful when opening the bag, and use the hold part of the bag that is provided when carrying it from the microwave, also after carefully opening it, allow some of the steam and eat to come out before trying to stick your hand in with a serving spoon or what ever. You pull the bag apart to preserve the seal or you can rip it just below the seal to open it, the bag is perforated in this area for you to do so. If you plan on storing any left overs you will of course want to keep the seal intact.

I think these Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming bags are great. I am definitely going to buy a box or two. There are a lot of recipes from the web site that I really want to try and I also can’t wait to try to create some of my own concoctions.

Just throw it away, how is that for easy cleaning?

Well you basically only use them once an toss, so this is an unfair question..

I think the whole concept and design are very cool

Safe and fast steamers!

from Bay City, MI

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

I have been using these bags for a couple years. We have steamed broccoli, Brussels sprouts, string beans, carrots, peas, cauliflower,red bets, potatoes inthem. I like the fact that the cooking time is printed on the bags, tehy seal easily and they store in my food wrap drawer, taking up little space in my kitchen!!

I have used teh bags over and over and wash and sanitize tehm.. Until they stop sealing, I re-use them. The price is rather high for teh product, but I do like to use them for small batches of vegetables and when I am in a hurry. IN summer we use them because it keeps my home cooler than steaming on my stovetop.

A BIt on the Pricey Side but Work Well

Profile Image

from North Hanover, NJ

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

I recently tried the Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steam Bags and liked them. I am a big vegetable eater and am always looking for new ideas. You can chop up most any type of vegetable, throw them in the bag and pop in the microwave and cook. They are easy and simple to use and a great way to cook vegies. I also have added some shrimp or other foods to the bag and that has also worked well. The are simple and quick and anyone can use them but you have to be careful when opening the bag as the steam is very hot and can burn. They could be bigger also to hold more if you had a lot of people to feed and unfortunately you can only use them one time and then throw them away. They are a little pricely but if you use them just once in a while the price is not too bad. I like them, I would not use them everyday due to the cost but it is great to have no clean up afterwards. I would give them three stars due to the steam release and the cost.

Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags good idea.

from Mount Vernon, MO

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

I have been using these for a while now, they are a very convienent time saver. Throw them in the microwave while getting the rest of the meal cooked. Or throw the whole meal in them. unfortunatly they are a bit on the pricey side, so the money you saved on getting fresh produce is spent on the bags. So not much of a money saver.

Glad Steaming Bags are easy to use

from Ripon, WI

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

The Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming Bags are easy to use. I love to steam all my vegetables because it is a healthy alternative. These bags make that easy to do. There are directions on the box that tell you what size the vegetables need to be and how long to microwave them. You place them in the microwave and you end up with a beautifully steamed sidedish without all the additivies.

You need to be careful when opening up the bags because there is a lot of hot steam coming in from the bags.

I have reused the bags to save money if I haven't steamed a messy vegetable, I rinse them out and allow them to air dry. You can get a lot more use from these bags that way. I haven't seen anywhere on the box that it says not to reuse the bags,

This is an easy way to eat healthy, I have tried many different types of vegetables but my favorite is steaming ears of corn. They really come out tender and save all the mess when you only want one ear.

Glad steaming bags- gets the job done fast!

from Travelers Rest, SC

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

I tried the Glad Steaming bags because they were a cheap new product and I had a coupon.  I often steam my vegetables, it is my favorite way to cook them, is fast, and a healthy option.  I bought the bags with the hopes that it would speed up the process and it most definitley does.  I have used the bags with a variety of vegetables- watery ones like squash and starchy ones the potato cubes.  I have found the quality to always be what I am looking for.  Someone who is new to steaming vegetables may have a little bit of a learning curve to know how long to cook each but generally the time it takes them to cook in a pot is halved.  The bags are a quick and easy option but they cannot be reused and therefore create waste each time.  I use them when I am in a rush.  The size is perfect for family sized (4 person) meals but can be used for anything smaller as well.  The only caution about the bags, be careful when removing them.  Do not lean over the stove to take out the bag as the steam may scaled you.

DIY Steamers

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

We love Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming Bags at our house!  If you are familiar with and fond of the prefilled, preloaded frozen vegetable, or meal bags from the grocery store that you place in the microwave to steam, then you'll understand the same concept at work here with the Glad Simply Cooking Microwave Steaming Bags.  But these are so great because they are completely customizable!  It makes it so easy to buy fresh vegetables at the store, cut them up, put them in the bag and steam them!  But don't stop there!  With these bags, you can also add your own sauce, right inside the bag, so that your food will steam and get sauced all at the same time.  All you have to do is pull it from the microwave, pour it into a bowl, and it's done!  How about steaming chicken pieces with your nicely cut veggies and sauce?  Yep, you can do this too and it sure does make for a nice, quick, easy, but much appreciated meal!

A Little Expensive, Occasional Convenience

from Jupiter, FL

Don't see the point

from Edmond, OK

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

Do we ever think about what is happening to the plastic in the microwave?  I can't help but wonder how many toxins the petroleum-based plastic steamer bag releases into what were once beautiful fresh vegetables.

Admittedly, these bags are made of saf*er *plastics (PP, #5 and PET #1).  I still would not use them and they certainly should never be reused.

I believe we should try to reduce the use of plastic products as much as possible because of their effect on the planet and human health.  The manufacturing of plastic products has been proven to leach chemicals into our food and water supply.  These chemicals are probable health hazards.

My solution get a large bowl, put a bit of water in it with veggies, and cover it with a plate or a piece of wax paper.  Voila!  You have a FREE Steamer bag, and you are not exposing yourself to microwaved plastic vegetable!!

I don't see the point in paying for something which is potentially harmful to us, definitely harmful to the environment, and is easily replicated with things we already own at home.

perfect veggies everytime

from Brea, CA

Comments about Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags:

I really like this product! It cooks vegggies perfect and easy! My mom wasn't eating enough veggies until I gave her some bags. Now she can buy fresh vegetables and have no mess. If you are worried about waste you can rinse them out and reuse them a couple times.