Other Coffee Makers:

Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker

Pros

Cons

I killed my Gevalia Coffee Maker, I'm sorry

Years ago I signed up for Gevalia Coffee Club to get their 12 cup coffee maker with auto brew and pause and pour feature because it was pretty and looked expensive but wasn't. I have used it at home and also brought it to my 'Juice Bar' business that I owned for 1 year. (location was bad) This coffee maker has lasted a lot longer than I expected. I drink coffee every morning and afternoon. I brew tea with it, make hot water with it for hot chocolate. One thing I did wrong...I forgot to flush clean it occasionally. I remembered when it began brewing realllllllllyyyyyyy slowwwwww and making serious gurgling noises. My girls and I were talking about what could  be wrong with my coffee maker when my youngest (20) began counting back to when she first remembered seeing that coffee maker. "Mama, we had that thing since living on Westfield Rd! That's at least 10 years! "Oh WOW" my oldest chimed in, "Maybe you just need to run some vinegar through it."

"Clean it!, Oh my goodness, I have never cleaned it!" I exclaimed as I immediately went to the kitchen, turned the pot off and dug through my drawer to find my packets of machine cleaner that I have had stuffed away since I had the Juice Bar. So I ran it through several times and had success, for awhile. But, alas, the damage had been done and we had a memorial service for my best friend...my Gevalia 12 cup Coffee Maker with Pause. "You'll be replaced but never forgotten." was the eulogy.

My youngest made me a sticker for the new 12 cup Stainless Steel Gevalia Coffee Maker...with Pause and Pour, that says: CLEAN ME! I WILL LIVE WITH YOU FOREVER!

Like the coffee, somewhat overrated.

I got involved with the Gevalia program, and did get to try some really excellent coffees, although the price per use was what I consider pretty high for a product that was packaged and sealed and then sent to me...I prefer to get things fresher if I can.  Anyway, part of my package membership was the coffeemaker, and I was certainly excited about a new coffee maker-embarassing to say that my old Mr. Coffee was older than my son....so when it arrived, we anxiously unwrapped and removed it from the carton, only to discover that the coffee maker was part of the program, but the filters were not.  Had to make a run to the store before my morning coffee in order to make coffee...not an auspicious beginning.  They couldn't even throw in one single filter to give you a sample of the size and type which work best....I purchased my paper filters, and was somewhat distressed by the amount of grounds turning up in the bottom of my pot...After reading the manual, I discovered that the permanent gold filter, which can be bought for a nominal fee, plus shipping, plus handling is the preferred brewing method for this machine....I elected not to spend further money, and just double my filters creating a pocket for the ground between the two filters, which seems to keep the grounds where they belong.   As I switch up coffees alot, for variety sake, a clean coffee maker is essential, so you don't get bleed through flavors from last week's choice....I find this  particular coffeemaker a rather tough clean, and the water resevior seems to stain very readily...I don't even have particularly hard water.  It is much slower to brew than my Mr. Coffee.  I presume that there isn't as much pressure as the water filters down through the beans...And the carafe already seems to be pitted where I can't completely clean it after just a few months of regular use.  The top of the carafe is permanently discolored and no amount of vinegar, baking soda, or shudder the thought "coffee maker cleaner" seems to change that telltale brown staining where the coffee passes from the grounds down to the carafe.  The glass of the carafe is really lightweight, and of course, you can buy replacement carafes by ordering them through Gevalia with shipping and handling etc.   I am not expecting this coffee maker to stand up to the same wear and tear that my Mr. Coffee did, or to last as long...It seems as if the materials which it is made from are much lighter duty and designed to generate lots of money in replacing the carafe etc.   The basket in which the filter and grounds goes is just disgusting looking inside as it doesn't clean well either.  I decided after about four months that the coffee was good but not that good relative to price....the coffee maker seems to be the same story.  It does what it says it will do, but as I can't clean it to my satisfaction, it isn't going to last terribly long in my household.   I am already dropping hints for a birthday replacement item...I know that there are those folks out there, to whom cleaning a coffee pot or coffee maker is darn close to sacrilege.  They brew day after day in something that might be declared a toxic waste hazard, and swear the coffee is the best (and that is why there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream-different tastes)  I am not one of them.  I like a modicum of sanitation in my coffee enjoyment, and the Gevalia coffee maker doesn't give me that option, plus I am going through double the filters so that I don't have to chew my coffee.  I imagine that I would have enjoyed my Gevalia alot more in the old coffee maker, and maybe the two together is what soured me on both.

Glad it was free

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

I got this for free for signing up for the Gevalia home delivery of coffee. I didn't like the coffee even remotely, so I cancelled my subscription. I still got to keep the coffee maker. It really is not the best for heavy daily usage. It is slow to brew and some of the buttons are just plain confusing.

I did not like that I could not visualize how much coffee was actually going into the coffee pot. Pet peeve of mine.

It did brew fine, just slower than other machines that I've used. It's bulky, but doesn't really need to be. It was fine to clean with some vinegar.

I am a coffee lover. I don't know what it was about this brewer, but if you let the coffee sit for about an hour, it would acquire a burnt taste. Yuck.

If you're hosting a gathering and you need to have some coffee, it does fine for occasional use. If you have a daily, must drink it NOW habit, then I'd go with a BUNN or a keurig. This was free, so I can't complain too much. It's adequate, but not special.

Great coffee maker!

from Asheboro, NC

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

You really can't beat Gevalia's deal. You can cancel your membership at any time, and they let you come back anytime you want. I've gotten 2-3 coffee makers over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. This is my current one; I gave my old one to my mother-in-law. We southern people like to use them to make sweet tea :)

Gevalia 12 cup Programmable Coffee Pot

from Huntington, IN

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

I have been using my Gevalia 12 cup programmable coffee pot for about a month. I have been impressed since I first removed it from the box. The design is ideal and the maker takes up little counter top space compared to my previous coffee maker. I appreciate the design of the base "hugging" the carafe and warming surface-it minimizes the likelihood of burns due to bumping the warming surface. The coffee maker is easy to program and automatically shuts off after 2 hours of being operational. The coffee maker came as a freebie when purchasing coffee and enrolling in an auto delivery program with no obligation, BUT my husband and I are hooked on the quality and taste of the coffee. The price is comparable to high quality brands found in local stores. We are hooked and will be continuing our shipments fro Gevalia cafe.

There are only 2 complaints I have about the coffee maker: the small opening for pouring in the water allows for spillage, and the clock would be better viewable if it lit up.

This pot didn't last long in my area full of lime-y water.

Love this Pot!

from Marion, IA

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

I ordered this coffee pot because my old one was corroded. I didn't have very high expectations since I got it free but I've been pleasantly surprised! I make coffee about once a week and haven't had any problems at all in the 6 months I've had it. It cleans up easily and I can set it ahead to start brewing in the morning. It also looks good on my counter!

Brew Performance
I really like the coffee it makes.

The outside is sleek and easy to clean.

It's very easy to use.

The coffee maker looks sleek and modern on my counter.

No problems so far.

A GREAT COFFEEMAKER

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

Usually I 'd like to make instant coffee because this save a lot of time. But when I saw there was a special offer on gevalia website that I can get a coffee maker for free, I decided to try it. This is a 12 cup maker that can make coffee for me for the whole day, the space is very huge, and I like the feeling when the coffee is ready, the delicious smell of coffee just run in all my room, give me a pleasure feeling. And another good thing is that I can use this coffee maker to just get hot water when I want.

Great coffee pot

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

This is the Gevalia coffee maker that you get free when you join their club even if you cancel as soon as the send the coffee. The pot comes in stainless steel and holds a full 12 cups and you can see the water rise with a little red ball that rises with the water. It is a really nice pot and is not too tall like a lot of the new pots these days.

They send two pounds of coffee with the pot when you join and their coffee is delicious. The best thing to do is stay in the club and change your status to order the coffee at will instead of automatically as originally is set up. They are really nice and accomodating people and I do not believe they try to scam you. I know a lot of people using their coffee and tea.****

The Perfect Wake-Me-Up

from Wallington, NJ

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

I was in search for a new coffee maker one that would allow me to brew as much or as little coffee as I wanted and this coffee maker is just the versatile. I live alone and to make a full pot of coffee would be such a waste as I would never be able to drink that much coffee. This pot allows me to make either one cup or ten cups of coffee. Unlike other coffee pots that I've had where residue builds up on the outlet where the coffee is dispensed from and requires constant cleaning the Connaisseur Home Concepts by Geviala has only one opening and you can easily wipe off any residue with a wet paper towel. Not only is it versatile and easy to clean when you order this coffee maker from Geviala they generally will send you a FREE 8oz Signature Brand Geviala Coffee what more can one ask for versatility, easy to clean inexpensive and FREE coffee..............Start Brewing Now!!!

Gevalia is great all around

from Princeton, IN

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

We have been through more coffee makers than I care to remember. I've had major problems with all of them to tell the truth. Gevalia had a special around the same time I was in need of a new coffee maker, so I thought...what the heck...I'll go for it. I am so happy I did! The coffee maker works great. We don't have very much money, so we've always had to go for the cheaper brands. This coffee maker (and the four flavored coffees that came with it) did not cost any more than the cheapest model at our Wal-Mart. And it works so much better. I didn't have to read the instructions to figure out how to set the timer and the only time we've failed to have our coffee waiting for us in the morning has been when our power went off. It has an easily removable filter cone so that you can pull it out without praying that the coffee filter wlll fall apart before you get to the trash:) My favorite thing about this coffee maker is the carafe! It pours so easily and doesn't leak all over the counter. We are very happy with this coffee maker an we've had it for almost a year now.

good overall coffee maker

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

Let me say first overall I have been happy with my Gevalia coffeemaker. I received this as part of a starter package. i have had it probably for about a year and a half, and just last week it stopped working, and halfway through brewing my morning coffee at that. Now I would have hoped it would have lasted longer, but i did use it daily, and sometimes even two times a day. It always made a great pot of coffee, and it had a programmable timer, so my coffe was always hot and ready every morning. Mine also came with a thermal caraffe, which I really loved, so if I decided to sleep in a little, my coffee would still brew, and still be nice and hot when i did get up, the only other downside to this was the caraffe had a really small opening, and so that made cleaning it quite a bit harder than other ones I have owned. Overall it was a great coffee. pot untill it broke. I am still deciding if I should go with another brand or stick with this one.

• Brew Performance:

Gevalia coffee maker was great--when it worked!

from Brookfield, WI

Comments about Gevalia 12-Cup Coffee Club Giveaway Coffee Maker:

I really like Gevalia coffee. It is expensive, so I join again whenever they have a great "freebie." I've received their coffee makers in the past, and they were OK, nothing special. So I was very excited to get one that I could set to start making coffee before I got up in the morning! For the few months that it worked, it was great. Then one day, with no obvious problems, it just stopped working. The water didn't go through, and the heating element didn't heat up. What a waste! I don't know if I would ask for another--who wants to keep replacing coffee makers every few months?