View more cloth diapers

3.2

Pros

Cons

• Absorbency:

LOVE these, but not necessarily as diapers

I love Gerber birdseye flats. They are very soft and durable, and they are the perfect flat for a newborn. They are not big enough to use on bigger children, but regular sized flats swallow newborns, and these are a great option for those couple of months until the diaper service quality flats work for your newbie.

After I stopped using these as flats, I found lots of other uses for them. They are great folded up and laid inside another diaper as a doubler. I used these inside of prefolds very often for my toddler.

My favorite use for these, though, hands down, was for a bib. You know how its really hard to find bibs for toddlers that actually protect their clothes? These are the answer. You can tie is around their neck, and it covers their entire shirt and keeps them clean. They are so soft that when they are done eating, find a clean corner and wipe them off. Then into the washing machine with diapers or towels they go with no worry of velcro snagging other things in the wash. They fold up so tiny that you can always find room in your diaper bag or even just your purse for a couple.

For the money, these are great to have on hand, and then after the kids are bigger, just turn them into cleaning rags. I have an entire kitchen drawer full - we use them as cloth napkins to save money on paper!

Not For Diapering Baby's Bum

I made the mistake of buying quite a few packages of Gerber prefolds, thinking I would be able to cloth diaper my baby with them.  They are NOT for cloth diapering.  We used them as burp rags, which they were great, but it's not what I intended to use them for.  They are leaky, unabsorbent, mess makers!  I ended up embellishing them with ribbons, fabric and other material scraps I had laying around and used them solely as burp cloths.  If I were reviewing them as burp cloths, they'd have 4 or 5 stars.  They fit nicely on/over the shoulder, shield clothing from that lovely newborn spit up and you can pick them up at your local walmart.  They are the only widely available cloth diaper found at most major retailers, which is pretty disappointing to this cloth diapering Mama.  I haven't met one other cloth diapering mother that uses Gerber prefolds, flats or any kind of gerber diaper.  They just aren't for diapering.

Can be used as diapers as a cheap alternative.

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

They aren't the best option or even a good option but I've used the Gerber cloth diapers as diapers since my baby was a newborn. She is now 9 months old. They work with the diaper cover over them. I don't even use pins, just fold them and put the cover over it. I have never had a leak but the diapers aren't absorbent. I use them along with elimination communication, in case we have a miss. I wouldn't recommend them for use as a true diaper but rather for EC or potty training.

A Pathetic Diaper

from Monticello, MN

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

Gerber is the reason most people do not cloth diaper anymore. They think of pins, prefolds, and plastic pants. Gerber only makes this style diaper. That would be okay if they at least made decent products but they're terrible. I cloth diaper using "diaper service" prefolds and they are MUCH thicker than the Gerber prefolds. The Gerber prefolds are very thin and very long. Each layer is thinner than most prefolds and they don't contain as many layers as my other prefolds. About two Gerber prefolds equal up to one Osocozy prefold. They are much more rectangular than my other prefolds so they end up being either very long and skinny or if you fold them the other way, very short and fat. These might be fine as cheap cloths for many other purposes (spit up, cleaning, etc) but if you are looking for diapers, look elsewhere. I suggest Osocozy, GMD, or Flip for prefolds, Flip being my favorite.

Grat for Burp Cloths, not diapers

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

**Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding****** are a great household item, but not great for diapering.  The **Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply CLoth Diapers with Padding**are not as absobent as many other prefolds that are on the market.  However, they are great for cleaning as they absorb more than a  lot of dishtowels and are a nice smooth cloth.  They are also excellent for cleaning up spit up, or protecting your shirt from getting spit up all over you while feeding the baby.  It is nice that the **Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding** come in large packages so that you have plenty of clean up cloths, since everyone knows that babies are messy.  They are also great to throw down on a changing table to keep the baby from coming in contact with it, and also to keep ay messes contained.  These also dye well, and can be really cute if you embellish them or change their color!

Leak Prevention
These are not the thickest or most absorbent diapers, but they are great as rags or cleaning cloths!

Absorbency

• Absorbency:

Gerber Prefold Cloth diapers are not great diapers but.......

from Sussex, WI

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

Gerber Prefold Cloth diapers are not great diapers but do make great burp cloths. I intially bought the Gerber 3-ply padded prefold cloth diapers to use for cloth diapering my child...However they are not absorbant!!!!! He would pee right through those things, I later found hemp prefolds were much much more absorbant and after finding those I would never ever use the gerber brand for diapering!!! Not to mention they stunk horriblly after being soiled! They did clean up well but just not made to hold lots of pee. If I wanted them to  be effective I had to double them up and that was just too bulky for my baby!! I do recommend them for burping though! They are absorbant for spit up messes and drool spills! Maybe they should change the name Gerber Burp Cloths!! I have only known people to use them for that purpose.Although if you are on a budget they are the cheapest prefolds out there and would do the job but just not very effectively!

We're on number two with Gerber Prefolds.

from West Palm Beach, FL

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

When I was pregnant with my first child, I didn't find many options for cloth diapering. I was pretty clueless, but got some advice to go with Gerber prefolds and ProRaps.

At two weeks old, we started our journey with cloth diapering. Over time I accumulated more of these prefolds and now have about four dozen.

I have really enjoyed these prefolds because they fit great inside the ProRap covers. They are very easy to fold and diaper the baby with, and they are soft. I have also enjoyed how easy these prefolds are to clean. I wash them every couple of days, and they always come out clean and ready for the next couple of days of use.

We also have been doing Infant Potty Training, so our children really don't exclusively go in their diapers. This eliminates (pun intended) the over soaking that some speak of with prefolds. They do not hold more than one or two pees and sometimes poo can spill over.

However the folding and the actual diapering the baby is so easy, that it is worth changing the baby more often.

I love these!

Gerber Diapers - great dust clothes too

from Austin, TX

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

I use these to dust my house. They are think cotton clothes that I use to wipe off cobwebs all over the place, on door frames, baseboards, ceiling fans, mantels, and to also dust our house plants. I am telling you I never realized my house is so filthy. I guess the dust is more noticeable because the cloths are white, but by the time I finished the first round of dusting in my house, I had already made several trips outdoors to shake out the cloths. The material is soft enough to clean off my gold picture frames, piano, fine furniture, china, and fine glasses. Since it's reuseable, I just thoroughly shake the dust off and then wash it in the machine. These do a great job for dusting and cleaning anything in your house and since they are not disposable, you can u se them many times and save filling up the trash dumps with a bunch of throw-away items. Also good to clean using the diaper clothes: CDs, DVDs, home copiers/scanner, camera lenses, eyeglasses - or anything that might scratch easily and need delicate care.

Gerber Cloth Diapers ok for burp cloth - better alternatives

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

As soon as you get pregnant, you hear a lot about using Gerber cloth diapers as burp cloths. They are relatively inexpensive and can be found at a lot of stores. Gerber used to make a quality cloth diaper back in the day. However, today, there are much better options out there for cloth diapers, even to use as burp cloths.

The padding in the Gerber diaper is made with polyester. Polyester is a material used in many cloth diapers, but not to absorb, but to repel liquids. This makes the center of this diaper completely nonabsorbant! Even if I was to look for a cloth diaper for burping, there are so many other better alternatives. I would go with a Chinese cotton or Indian cotton prefold. After washing and drying several times, they become very absorbant and perform much better than Gerber. But if you are going to go the Gerber route, look for diaper service quality.

5-stars for use as Burp Cloths

from Waukegan, IL

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

Gerber Prefold Cloth Diapers are a must have for a parent with a newborn baby...but not for use as diapers. These make the best burp cloths! Items sold as "burp cloths" are thin and narrow; baby's spit up is generally plentiful and not well aimed. These diapers are much more absorbant than a typical burp cloth and cover more of Mommy or Daddy's shoulder. The fabric is soft for baby to lay his head against. And as they come 12 to a package, it's not a problem to get from one wash day to the next without running out.

I also know of people without babies who buy these specifically for cleaning cloths. Now that my kids are out of the spitting up stage (I used the same package of Gerber prefolds with all three of them), I'm planning to use mine for cleaning as well.

All that said, I also cloth diaper, but not with these. They might be absorbant enough for newborns, or if you are extremely dilagent about changing the baby after every single urination, but I wouldn't count on it. There are much better (and easier to use) diapers available, although you will pay more for them.

Gerber Prefolds- Great For Just Starting Out

from Elk Creek, NE

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

If you want to get into cloth diapering but are not real sure about it- these are great to help you decide if the extra laundry is for you. If you decide not to cloth diaper- then you at least can use them as cleaning rags. I will warn you- they are not the most absorbant- so you are going to be changing a lot more often than a good quality cloth diaper- or a disposable diaper. I suggest to prep the gerber prefolds by washing them at least 2 times before using on your child. Do not use any fabric softener as that makes them less absorbant. Use a cover that is not the plastic pants- becuase those are just a mess. Either use pins- or this cool thing they call a snappie. Get a good cover that has either snaps or velcro and that you can wipe clean and reuse (that way you don't have to buy as many covers). A good amount of prefolds is about 35 for a newborn. Rinse on cold in washing machine and then wash on hot to get clean!

Great for burp cloths - ok for diapers!

from Long Valley, NJ

Comments about Gerber Prefold Birdseye 3-Ply Cloth Diapers with Padding:

I registered for these for my baby shower intending to use them as burp cloths. They are very soft and cheap which is great. I have two packs of these so I always have a bunch of these handy on both floors of the house and in every room. My baby is a moderate spitter upper and these handle this kind of mess great. I also use these under her as I change her diaper to protect the changing pad from stains.

I have used these to clean up kitchen spills as well. These are a great item to have around the house - babies and kids are messy!

I do use cloth diapers - prefolds, so I have tested these as actual diapers. They don't do a horrible job. They are VERY trim looking but don't absorb too much. I have used them as back-ups when all my "good" diapers were in the wash. They seem very comfy for the baby. If you use these as diapers you will need to change VERY often and also use a really good cover that will prevent leaks.