Other Indoor Grills & Sandwich Makers:
George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill

George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill

Pros

Cons

Cooking doesn't get any easier than this

ANYONE can cook with the George Foreman grill.  You could be the busiest person in the world, but you could still find time too cook dinner with this product.  What would normally take you an hour to bake in the oven, you can grill in about ten minutes!

How does it cook that fast?  Well, I suppose it's because you have heat cooking both sides of the meat at the same time.  Because of this, you have to be careful to watch your food because it will overcook and dry out much faster than it normally would.

I've found that the best thing to cook on the George Foreman grill is chicken.  It seems to cook the most evenly, and maintains a lot of flavor.  Another good meat to grill on this is sausage.  You get the grill marks just like you would on the outdoor grill, but you don't have to consume all the fat that you would otherwise.

You see, the George Foreman grill is built on a slant.  This allows for all fat and grease to just roll right off the grill.  The grill comes with a plastic bin that you place directly under the area where grease exits.  Wait till you see the amount of grease that comes out of the food!  Disgusting!  Using the George Foreman grill makes me feel confident that  I'm feeding my family a lot healthier food.  The proof is right there for you to see!

You can cook, not only meat, but vegetables too.  I often grill up onions and peppers to go with sausage.  That's everything you need for your meal right there on the grill.  I'm not dirtying up a lot of dishes in the process of cooking dirty.  When we're cleaning up, the only thing we have to wash is the grill.  It is a real time saver of nights when we have a ball game, or lots of homework.

The Family size is definately the grill I would recommend.  This thing is HUGE.   It costs a little more than the smaller ones, but if you have an entire family to feed, no way would the small ones be big enough for you.  I can cook everything at one time, not in sessions like I would have to do with a smaller one.

My grill also came with a built in timer,  a cookbook, and a guide that tells me exactly how long each type of meat will need to cook.  At first I didn't believe that dinner would be done in the amount of time that they said it would, but I caught on quickly and now I love it.

Not worth the effort

Purchased after seeing infomercial. Unfortunately it does not live up to the claims and is another gadget taking up space in my cupboard. Please don't waste your money on buying this.
Read complete review

The cooking surface is very small. Cannot get food to cook evenly. Chicken and Hamburgers come out dry and often stick to the surface,. Cannot see the foods while they are cooking. Sandwiches are often burned bread and nearly raw meat. Even a grilled cheese sandwich was a burned, melted mess.

Made of cheap plastic. The drip container cracked after only a few uses. The locking hinge doesn't always work depending on what is being cooked.

Cleaning is a beast! The idea of the grill is to remove fats from meats but the fat splatters everywhere. Very difficult to remove grease from plastic, especially the drip pan. It is not submersible and each section has to be done separately. Cleaning griddle trays with stuck on meat and cheese is very difficult.

Not easy at all, especially if you need to cook for more than 1 person. I did a test and cooked 1 hamburger in a deep fry pan and 1 in this grill. The fry pan hamburger was juicy but not greasy, the other was a super dry and fell apart.

Not worth the effort

from Tampa Florida

Great way to grill

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

I love this grill. It cooks very quickly and it's super easy to use. I mainly use it for sandwiches, but you could use it for all sorts of things. I really like how the grease runs off of the food and into the tray because it makes the food much better for you. Nothing sticks to the grill so it's very easy to clean. Every now a then a little bit of cheese will get onto the grill and it just wipes right off. The size is good if your cooking a lot of food, but I do find it hard to store such a big grill. It's worth the price and I would recommend it to anyone that loves to grill.

Decent grill

from Southfield, MI

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

I received this grill as a present from my dad when I got my first apartment after moving out of my moms house. My dad was convinced that this George Foreman grill was as an absolutely essential piece of kitchen equipment. It's kind if nice, however I'm not sure it's exactly essential.
It's pretty handy if you don't want to dirty a bunch of pots and pans just to cook up something but if you're planning on having anything besides the burger or steak you're making then you've got to dirty other cookware anyways. I know it says that you can cook several different things at the same time but I'd didn't find this to be true. It's hard to get things that are of a different thickness to cook right.

You've got to wipe it down when it's still warm. Not too hot, but just warm enough that the grease comes off easily. Otherwise, if you wait until it cools down cleaning is a huge pain.

It's pretty easy to use, you just have to get the hang of it.

Love my George Foreman Family Size Grill

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

I've had my George Foreman Family Size grill for about 8 years now. I got it after I was married and decided on the larger size so that I wouldn't ever have to upgrade it. The larger plate surface is great for 4 hamburgers or chicken breasts. You can also grill veggies on it as well. The drip trays work really well to catch any of the grease that comes down. I would highly recommend a George Foreman grill, especially if you are tight on space or don't have an outdoor grill. It really gives food a different flavor which is so good. I've never tried sandwiches on it but think I will soon!

This model has been discontinued, and the newer models have the removable plates that are dishwasher safe. I think that is a great upgrade for the George Foreman grills. This grill is not too hard to clean, but it does take some time. I usually wet a couple of paper towels while the grill is still warm and let them sit in it for awhile. That seems to help.

Great for when you can't grill outisde

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

Decent space to cook on for a family of 3. Easy to use and ok to clean. I would prefer a better tool to get the grooves cleaner. Mine came with two and they are okay but not the best. I don't like to clean it while it's hot but found that this is the best way to get it clean without taking long. You can cook any meat on this that you would cook on an outdoor grill or vegetables. Your not limited to what you can cook on here like a outdoor grill since the meat can be tiny and you don't have to worry about it slipping through the grate and into the fire.

Grills hamburgers and hot dogs fairly even and quick since it does both sides at once.

Most of the use it several times a week and have never had an issue with it.

I would like to see someone come up with a tool that really cleans it and has a sponge on one side or just one made of sponge and one that scrapes it. The grill is on a slant so a lot of the mess goes into the drip pan but there is still the pieces that stay on the grill and if you make cheeseburgers and the cheese melts it usually doesn't slide into the drip tray.

Anyone can use this. Even my son could cook a burger or chicken when he was 10. I loved it because I wasn't worried about him getting hurt by popping grease.

Great overall product

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

My family will not cook hamburgers without it. It takes out all the unneccesary fat but still keeps the burger juicy. I also love how it only takes a couple of minutes and NO FLIPPING. I love it.

Ours even dropped on a concrete ground one time and stayed intact!!

It IS the Champ!

from IL, USA

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

There are very few appliances that can claim permanent counter space, most are shoved into a cupboard and wait in sad loneliness to be needed again. The GEORGE lives on my counter. It is too awesome, too useful, and too cool to hide in the cupboard of shame with the panini maker and the waffle iron and the pathetic lousy juicer.
We don't eat a ton of meat in my home, so it surprises people to see a grill of all things on my counter top. The great thing is that it isn't just for meat! I mean, we certainly do our share of steaks and burgers and brats on the George, but we also grill tons of veggies and even fruit. Hash browns? Heck yeah! Portabella mushrooms? Yes please! Fresh peaches? you haven't lived until you've grilled fresh peaches -- and nothing grills them like the George!
And this has to be the easiest thing to clean in my whole kitchen. While it's still hot I just slip a wet paper towel on the plate, close it and let it steam for a minute. Then wipe down and BAM! Clean and ready to go, no grease, no nothing!

If you burn something, you'll NEVER get it clean

from Tooele, UT

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

I like the idea of the George Foreman Grill much much more than I like the actual machine. I'm pretty sure ours is ruined because with one mistake, the teflon is gone. The little plastic scraper thing is useless for scrubbing.

My husband likes his meat well, well done. Unfortunately that window between well done and boot leather is really short. With the George Foreman Grill, the top and bottom grills means that the window is half as long. While we were using this, we were eating more boot leather than meat.

We found that any char that happened on this grill was impossible to get off. It just built up and we tried to gently scrub, but it seemed like it was bonded with the teflon. When one came off, they both did.

We learned later that we could have been lining it with tin foil all along. That would have helped drastically with the char problem. But I don't know of anything that would have helped us time it better besides just learning to be better cooks. Fool-proof this grill is not.

It's Good, But Not Perfect

from Lake Villa, IL

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

The George Foreman grill works relatively well for cooking food and giving it a somewhat of a grilled flavor. It does compress food quite a bit and can dry things out, but you can cook it more or less to get your ideal food size and temperature. Cleaning can be a pain as over time things stick all over the grill and you pretty much have to clean it right away using it otherwise it is nearly impossible to clean. All in all though, it is a pretty good machine.

It grills food pretty well, but flattens things out and sometimes takes away some flavor.

It seems pretty durable, although looks terrible over time from greese getting on the white surface.

It can be a pain, but clean it right away after using for best results.

It is pretty easy to use, plug it in, turn it on and once it warms up you are good to grill.

Xtra large for your pleasure.

Comments about George Foreman Family Size Plus Grill:

The family size plus grill was one of my favorite foreman grill when I received it as a wedding gift, because it helped keep me and my family fed properly with really low time commitments. The extra large size is perfect for families, and even an individual if they eat a lot.

It cooked everything we placed upon it wonderfully. Like anything else it can burn things if your not careful but so long as you have your eye on things the food will come out great.

Out old XL foreman had a number of nicks and bruises on it from the years of usage but it never just up and quit working.

This was the worse part of using these old foreman grills as you couldn't take the cooking palates out. So we would typically end up with a sponge filled with grease. Gross.

It was also always really simple to use. They don't have any switches on them so just plug her up and get cookin!