4.8

General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal

4.8

Pros

Cons

It's a honey of an O...Honey Nut Cheerios are healthy, tasty!

When I was a kid, there was only one version of General Mills' Cheerios oats-and-grain cereal - the original Cheerios, introduced in 1941, just before the United States entered World...Read complete review

When I was a kid, there was only one version of General Mills' Cheerios oats-and-grain cereal - the original Cheerios, introduced in 1941, just before the United States entered World War II

And (I must confess) I was not a big fan of Cheerios when I was a "tween."  Back then, my idea of a tasty cereal was something along the lines of Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Cap'n Crunch and other sweetened cold cereals.

Eventually, I acquired a taste for Cheerios, but I was thrilled when General Mills started producing different varieties of the basic cereal, including Apple Cinnamon and Honey Nuts flavored Cheerios.

Basic facts about Honey Nuts Cheerios

Like all the Cheerios versions, Honey Nuts Cheerios is primarily made of whole grain oats (including oat bran), sugar and modified corn starch.   But because this is the Honey Nut variant, it also includes honey, brown sugar, salt, tripotassium phosphate, either canola or rice bran oil, natural almond flavor (which accounts, of course, for the Nut part of its name), with Vitamin E added to preserve freshness. What’s the nutritional value of this cereal?   Although its nutritional content is not as complete as, say, any of the Total cereals’ (which claim to contain 100% of the vitamins and minerals in them), Honey Nut Cheerios still contains 13 vitamins and minerals, which include Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus.  (For a complete list of vitamins, minerals and Daily Values, please see *http://www.cheerios.com/)* Is it good? If you like regular ol’ Cheerios and eat them regularly, you’ll probably notice the familiar “little o’s” look very much alike.  The mouth-feel is also identical; Honey Nut Cheerios stay crunchy in milk longer than any flakes-type cereal. The difference, of course, is that though the oat taste is still there, the honey and almond flavoring make Honey Nut Cheerios taste sweeter than the original, unsweetened Cheerios from 1941. That means that kids who like sweetened cereals probably won’t turn their noses up at it, and adults won’t need to put any additional sugar in the bowl. My Viewpoint:

Like all the Cheerios versions, Honey Nuts Cheerios is primarily made of whole grain oats (including oat bran), sugar and modified corn starch.   But because this is the Honey Nut variant, it also includes honey, brown sugar, salt, tripotassium phosphate, either canola or rice bran oil, natural almond flavor (which accounts, of course, for the Nut part of its name), with Vitamin E added to preserve freshness. What’s the nutritional value of this cereal?   Although its nutritional content is not as complete as, say, any of the Total cereals’ (which claim to contain 100% of the vitamins and minerals in them), Honey Nut Cheerios still contains 13 vitamins and minerals, which include Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus.  (For a complete list of vitamins, minerals and Daily Values, please see *http://www.cheerios.com/)* How do Honey Nut Cheerios fare in comparison to the original Cheerios?

If you like the regular, plain-flavored Cheerios and eat them regularly, you’ll probably notice the familiar “little o’s” look very much alike.  The mouth-feel is also identical; Honey Nut Cheerios stay crunchy in milk longer than any flakes-type cereal. The difference, of course, is that though the oat taste is still there, the honey and almond flavoring make Honey Nut Cheerios taste sweeter than the original, unsweetened Cheerios from 1941. That means that kids who like sweetened cereals probably won’t turn their noses up at it, and adults won’t need to put any additional sugar in the bowl. My Take:   Though this is not my favorite cereal of all time, I still tend to buy Honey Nut Cheerios for its touted – if perhaps a tad overblown – claim that it can reduce cholesterol if eaten on a regular basis.  I’m pretty sure it’s because it has oats, which may in fact “slurp” fat from one’s body as it passes through one’s system. I like the taste, which is sort of malty, nutty and sweet without being overly so, plus it takes longer to get soggy in a bowl filled with milk.

As far as cereals go, Honey Nut Cheerios are a good choice

I'm not a big fan of cereal. Don't get me wrong, I love how it tastes. In fact, I've been known to just have a bowl of it as a late night "snack". What I don't love about most cereals is that they are quite often just cookies in disguise. I mean, think about it. Same basic ingredients, different form. And since I wouldn't eat cookies for breakfast (yeah, sure I wouldn't) and definitely wouldn't serve cookies to my kids for breakfast (that one's actually true), I don't like serving them most cereals, and usually, the ones I am willing to serve the kids are the ones they refuse to eat.

Honey Nut Cheerios fits into all that as a pretty good compromise. My kids are more than willing to eat them so that's half the battle won already. And I am willing to serve them...sometimes. I happen to be a big advocate for more protein and fiber and less carbs and unfortunately, Honey Nut Cheerios, just like most other edible cereals out there, does not follow this formula. What I do like about them is that they are a bit lower in sugar than some other cereals out there (though still too high for my liking) and that they are at least made with oats, which has been shown to have some health benefits.

So on a limited basis, I am willing to serve them to my kids for a quick, on the run type of breakfast, but only if I know they will be eating something more substantial within a couple hours. And for those days when I feel like having cookies for breakfast, this provides a better alternative!

Honey Nut Cheerios

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios cereal is amazing! It tastes like Cheerios smothered in honey obviously! It's very sweet from the honey covering. It definitely satisfies my sweet tooth cravings in a healthy way. Cheerios is also widely known to help lower cholesterol. Honey Nut Cheerios contain a lot of healthy vitamins and it is low in fat and calories so it's a great selection for breakfast or a snack. I have tried all of the Different flavors of Cheerios and the Honey Nut Cheerios are a favorite of both myself and my son. They taste great either as a snack or as a meal in a bowl with milk. I feel good serving these to my son because they make him happy and they are also healthy for him. They are easy to take in a portable container for my son to snack on and they don't make a ton of crumbs all over the car and they don't leave my sons hands sticky. General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios are a definite winner in our house!

Love the cheerios!

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

I am a pretty big breakfast person. And I love cereal, and quite the number of different kinds of cereals too. Honey nut cheerios are one of my favorites. I've always been a fan of these even since I was really little. And when I was a lot younger I was a very very picky eater. I wouldn't stray away from probably about three foods that I knew I liked. So trying to find a cereal that I wouldn't complain about was quite the process for my mom and dad. But I loved the Honey Nut Cheerios! And to this day, they still remain one of my favorites. As well as my whole family's. I would definitely recommend Honey Nut Cheerios to families with little kids that are very picky about what they eat but also just for anyone looking for a change from the plain old cheerios. They just have that extra bit of taste to them so that they give you a little variety from just plain cheerios. But these will definitely remain on my grocery list.

Great as a dry snack

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

I like to snack on this cereal by munching it dry. It has just enough sweetness to make me enjoy it immensely, and it gives me extra fiber, which I do not get from my other favorite dry snacks, such as potato chips. It also comes fortified with many important vitamins and minerals, including potassium. It does have 160 mg of sodium per bowl too, but luckily, I do not need to worry about that. In fact, I have a bowl of this cereal beside me right now as I write this review. This snack costs more than my other snacks, but I get more nutrition and better satisfaction from smaller portion sizes with this cereal. So, I think I make a better healthier choice when I eat this snack instead of others.

Better than the original

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

Honey nut cheerios taste much better than just plain cheerios in my opinion. They are nice and sweet but not overwhelmingly so. The flavor is really nice and it's not as sugary and unhealthy as many other breakfast cereals. It's the perfect balance of simple but delicious.

honey nut cheerios cereal

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

I like the honey nut cheerios cereal better than regular cheerios. It tastes better, more sweet and still healthy. Not only it can be used at a breakfast like a regular cereal with milk, but it also very convenient to take along as a snack in a zip lockbag.

My favorite cereal.

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios is one of my favorite brands of cereal. It's wholesome, nutritious, and great for you! The texture is perfect and they don't get soggy too fast. The honey nut flavor gives it a crisp bite and adds extra sweetness. I don't know anyone who doesn't love Honey Nut Cheerios! I'd recommend this product to anyone!

Yummy!

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

This cereal is really good, and is also good for you. General Mills has switched over to whole grains which makes this cereal healthy for you, and you can hardly tell with how sweet it is. Usually when you think of something being healthy you first thing of something tasteless etc., but the drop of honey in this cereal really makes it flavorful.

Great Taste and Healthy

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

I enjoy the taste of Honey Nut Cheerios. I appreciate that it is a healthy choice and that I do not have add a lot of sugar to enhance the taste of the cereal. The Cheerios stay crispy in milk longer than most other types of cereal, which is very important to me. I do not like soggy cereal!

Delicious, healthy cereal!

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

Honey Nut Cheerios are so simple but so addictive. I love them in a good bowl of milk. They are just the right amount of sweet without overloading on sugar, and the fact that they are heart healthy gives me peace of mind. They have no saturated fat and 2.7 grams of total fat!

Great Healthy Cereal!

Comments about General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal:

When my doctor told me I needed to start eating healthy it was very hard to find foods to eat that would be heart healthy. My wife got me some General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal and I now eat a bowl every morning for breakfast. My cholesterol has lowered and I know that this is good for heart health.