3.8
Garnier
Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color

Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color

3.8

Pros

• Easy to use (7)
  • Gentle (5)
  • Natural look (4)
  • Long-lasting (3)

Cons

• Color misrepresented (3)

• New look (4)
  • Touch ups (4)
    • Permanent (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Product junkie (4)

Color me impressed.

I had given up on permanent dyes due to the high level of damage they were doing to my hair and switched to demi-permanent dyes, which still give me some fallout but not nearly as much. Then I heard about the new oil-based permanent dyes, which are reputed to provide the long-lasting bright color results of a permanent dye but without the damage, because they open the hair shaft with oil instead of chemicals. Olia is the first oil-based dye I've heard of that you can find outside of a salon. Given the benefits described I knew I had to try it. I'm glad I did. The color is a smidge brighter than I had hoped for, which is par for the course with Garnier colors, but the low damage and the lack of mess have made me a believer. I will try this brand again. I will probably go with a neutral next time though.

One box of Light Chestnut was more than enough to saturate my shoulder length hair (I didn't even use up the whole box like usual). When I rinsed the dye out of my hair, I did not notice the fallout that I usually see after coloring. And when I dried my hair I saw that it came out very true to the box. Full disclosure: I started out with hair the color smack in the middle of the guideline colors on the back of the box, so that no doubt affected my results. My ends looked a little frazzled but considering the fallout I usually experience after coloring I find this relatively low level of damage impressive. Time will tell if it fades fast or not, but given the low level of damage after lifting my color one shade, I feel I can speak to the dye being highly effective.

Ease of Application
I agree with the previous reviewer who found the drop-shaped bottle to be difficult to manage. It's slippery, and when you are trying to get the last bits out while your gloves are slick with dye (and this is an oily dye) the bottle will try its hardest to shoot out of your hands and launch itself into space. I won't take too much off for that though, since this dye stays where you put when applying it to your hair. This makes it fantastic for making sure greys are well covered, and it means no dripping all over the bathroom. I have never made such little mess in the bathroom while coloring my hair. I had to wonder if I'd even needed to put petroleum jelly on my forehead and ears, because I am telling you, this stuff does not budge or bleed.

It is okay but not quite "true to color"

I have light blonde hair (from a bottle), my natural color is dark blonde/very light brown (so my roots). Let me start off by saying the product scared me to death before I even started. When I put the mix in the bottle it was Orange. I bought Light Pearl Blonde so I was concerned. Not like a dark or bright orange but a Sherbet Orange. I don't mind "wild" hair color so I decided to just go ahead with it.

It was easy to apply and had a pleasant scent. I am so used to choking in the bathroom because of the smell of most hair dyes but this one barely had a scent at all. It worked like all the rest except it wasn't as "bright" in my hair as I was waiting. Last time that happened I ended up with Mousy Brown hair (not fun when you are going for blonde). Thankfully this one didn't do that but it still wasn't "light pearl blonde". My hair came out closer to my natural color which isn't a bad color but wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

I want to like it because I love not smelling like I just dyed my hair. And while it isn't terrible, it isn't as nearly as good as the one I normally use. Yes it did a decent job on my roots and blending but I did my hair 3 days ago and this morning I say my signature 5 or 6 gray hairs poking above the rest. The dye had no affect on them. Since my hair is blonde others can't really tell but I can tell.

So while its an okay product I wont use it again because the color is much darker than what you think you are buying and it doesn't do anything to gray hairs.

Favorite by far

from Westland, MI

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Gentle
  • Great Color
  • Long-Lasting
  • Natural Look
  • Versatile
  • Very low odor

• Graying Hair

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I love this product it don't take forever and a day to get the coloring done, very low odor and the coverage of color for even long hair like mine is excellent. Would and have bought this again.

• Semi-Permanent

Wonderful for my hair

from Arkansas

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • Gentle
    • Long-Lasting
    • Natural Look

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I love how great this makes my hair look. It does not leave my hair dry or brittle. It covers my grays completely. The color is rich and looks professional. My results lasted about 12 weeks before I could tell that my new growth was coming in. It has a pleasant scent and is not messy at all, compared to other at home dyes that I have used. My color looks like I went to the salon only I saved a ton of money and did it at home :)

• Permanent

I switched to salon color and RAN BACK TO OLIA!!!

from NYC Girl

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Easy To Use
      • Gentle
      • Great Color
      • Long-Lasting
      • Natural Look
      • Oil Based Color not smelly/harsh
      • Versatile

• Graying Hair

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I LOVE, LOVE & LOVE Garnier's Olia!
        I product tested it a few years ago and am now a loyal customer.
        My bff even changed her brand from Revlon to Olia!

Go to a salon!

from Angiee

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Easy To Use

Cons

• Color Misrepresented
        • Doesn't Last

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I used the Garnier Olia Darkest brown box. My hair was blonde when i used this brand I bought two boxes to make sure I got full coverage and after all was set and done my hair was indeed soft and had nice color. Fast forward to about a week later and my hair was horrible! I was using color treated shampoo salon brand and my using hair products and my hair was not only breaking but turning green. Now maybe the green color came from the outcome of going from blonde to brown who knows....but the condition my hair was in was awful it just kept breaking even if it was no tangled i do not recommend this brand at all!

• Temporary
        • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Leaves a beautiful color and my hair feeling healthy

from Pittston,Pa

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Easy To Use
        • Effective
        • Gentle

Cons

• Fades

• Every month

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

Olia hair color is gentle and leaves a beautiful color the only problem is i went with more vivid color like burgundys and reds and im not going to lie the color faded and made me slightly disappointed my burgundy turned into an auburn red. and my red turned to a chestnut brown almost. However with this being said that means it doesnt stain hair or damage it which is amazing because i love to style and change my hair quite frequently and using olia makes this easier

It is okay but not quite "true to color"

from LaPlace, LA

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
        • Gentle
        • Natural Look

Cons

• Color Misrepresented
        • Does nothing to Grays

Garnier's Olia Hair Color is no good

from Mesa, AZ

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Easy To Use
        • Reasonably Priced

Cons

• Bad Grey Hair Coverage
        • Doesn't Last
        • Leaves Hair Brassy Lookin
        • No Color Depth

• none

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I have now tried Garnier's Olia Permanent Hair Color . . . or so it states. I have found both times my hair color seems to fade rather quickly. I do not like the color coverage on my grey roots what so ever. They look brassy, and not colored with the color that I thought I purchased. This is not a hair coloring kit that I will ever purchase again after two tries and still don't like it.

• Semi-Permanent

Worst ever!

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Pretty Box And Bottle
        • Smells Pretty Good

Cons

• Bottle Very Slippery
        • Color Misrepresented
        • Color Mouse-brown
        • Difficult To Use

• none

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I tried this product, unfortunately, before a big party. I'm still trying to wash it out. Instead of "champagne blonde" as the box claims, my hair is "mouse brown". I guess L'Oreal felt that color wouldn't sell! Also, when your hands are slippery with the product, the bottle is such a poor design that it slips out of your hand. Has anyone at L'Oreal tried this product? I'm sure sorry I did.

Garnier Hair Color

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

I'm addicted to coloring my hair, so I've tried almost every hair color out there. The first thing that caught my attention about the Garnier Oila Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color was the box. It didn't look like every other box on the shelf. It had a big bright colored flower on the top that grabbed my attention. I did some reading online before going back to buy the dye. I didn't read a single bad word about this product. The company claims that the oil in it will make hair healthier and shinier. It said it won't just look healthier, it will be healthier. My hair is so unhealthy from all the damage I've done to it, so I bought the this Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color. It did exactly what it said it would. The color looks amazing, and it is soft and shiny. The color hasn't faded at all after three weeks. This will my my hair color forever!

It's effective because I colored my hair three weeks ago, and it still looks great.

Ease of Application
        It's very easy to apply. It's not much different than most other hair coloring systems.

• Ease of Application:

Absolute waste of money, run away and do it fast!

Comments about Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Hair Color:

If you are a light blonde who is looking for a more natural looking blonde and a more natural method of hair dye do not even consider this product.
        This product made my hair darker than it was before I dyed it and it didn't shine or give my hair a moisture boost like it advertised.
        If Your looking for a very easy non drip application and if you have a darker hair color I would recommend this product. It is not a strong smell, it actually has a quite pleasant smell.

Did not work well on my hair my hair due to my hair being too light with the color I chose. It gave it a more natural tone than I was wanting but that's what I was looking for at the time. It works though so just estimate your color a little closer than I did and it should be good for you.

Ease of Application
        Application was so easy I was so excited that maybe this was my new favorite product! It was not gummy, it went on easily and did not drip. It was like a cream substance. It was also easy to wash out of hair after waiting process instead of the gummy too smooth feeling other dyes will leave in hair.