Other GPS Devices:
Portable Car GPS
Garmin
Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator

One of the best investments we've made

The Nuvi 750 is a wonderful product.  I purchased it in December of 2007 in preparation for helping someone move across the country.  I wanted to get one anyway and this gave me the perfect excuse.  Rather than have to concentrate on a map or directions, I wanted to enjoy the trip more.  One of the most important features I wanted in a GPS unit was the ability to add waypoints along my route or to find a particular point of interest (restaurant, store, etc.) along my route so that it could calculate the best route.  The Nuvi 750 does that splendidly.  I didn't think that I would use the media player much, but I use it all the time.  This feature also gives me the ability to listen to audio books that I purchase from Audible.  If you're in the market for this or any other GPS I highly recommend www.tvnav.com.  I was able to save a lot of money from this web site and the owner is very helpful with questions both before and after the sale.  My father-in-law liked ours so much that we're getting him one for Christmas.  He's as uneasy with technology as anyone could be and he loves it, so that's proof that you don't need to be tech savvy to use this unit.  Highly recommended!

Excited to buy it - Disappointed but Garmin Stands Behind It

I chose the 750 Garmin because of the screen size.  After a short time I had a problem with the unit - it died when it was plugged into my cig lighter telling me no battery left.....Garmin quickly Fed X'd a new unit.  Then the replacement unit had similar problem and also the voice would have to be re-activated each time I turned the unit on.  Then the voice  stopped working entirely.  Garmin replaced this unit with a 760 Series.  We will see how it goes.  Not giving up on Garmin as the Customer Service is top of the line.  Just hope this solves my problem.

awesome tool to have so you don't get lost

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I am glad to have this gps it is simple to use, easy to understand the lady who is talking. Very accurate in finding the location that you need to be at. I use this everywhere I drive and I never have to look at a map again. Its light weight and tiny, and easy.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

Where have you been all my life?

from Plano, TX

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I love this machine. It has saved my behind SO many times. My job takes me to so many different locations every week, many of them which I have never been to. It makes it SO EASY!!! I have had this guy for probably 7 years easy. And it still is going strong! The only problem is that it's battery has crapped out, so basically it always has to be plugged in or else it doesn't work. But that's okay! I'll take it anyway! But that's my only complaint. Now the GOOD things: it is very customizable. I downloaded a ton of different voices, cars, maps, etc... off the Garmin website (much of it for free). I also signed up for the lifetime updates for the unit when there was a sale. i don't regret that. They email me when a new map update is available, and I just download and install. It is just that easy. One of the coolest FREE features on their site was a make-your-own voice. I had my twin 3 year olds make their voices one of the Garmin voices. Boy, was my wife surprised. :O

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

Great Car GPSr

from Anaheim, CA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I've had a GPS receiver since 2002.  It's a hand held mainly for trails and biking that I use for geocaching.  It wasn't very good for driving so when I started to hear about the Nuvi receivers, I had to check them out.  The Nuvi works great in the car.  It's not really for use on the trails so I'll stick with my hand held but great for driving directions and maps.  The Nuvi basically snaps to the nearest road.  It has a wide screen to see more area, touch screen, stats, and many other useful tools like an mp3 player.  I also load up Points of Interest (POI) files that I either create myself or find on other websites like National Parks POI, Offbeat Tourist Attractions POI, Diners Drive-Ins and Dives (POI) and many others.  Driving directions are usually accurate.  You can either set up quickest route or shortest route.  I like the speed limit sign posted on the screen for the street your on.  You can also customize your car with many different icons on Garmin and other third party websites like race cars, airplanes, tanks, R2D2 and hundreds of other "vehicles."  You can search for stores, restaurants, or even an address and the unit will tell you how to get there by both visual and audio.  It's been really useful.  I highly recommend it.

Garmin Nuvi 750 very user friendly

from North Sioux City, SD

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

We have been overall very pleased with our Garmin Nuvi 750! We have tried a number of different GPS brands and this has been our favorite by far!  It's very user friendly and has many great options available to you!  The 4.3" wide touchscreen has been wonderful, but the touch sensor seems very touch-and-go and isn't the most responsive.  One of our favorite aspects of this GPS is that is speaks the street names to you and tells you exactly which street to turn on, instead of just giving you the direction to turn.  The turn-by-turn voice and visual guidace options are also extremely helpful so you don't need to always be looking at the GPS while driving in a busy city you're unfamiliar with.  They come with pre-loaded maps, but the maps go out of date quickly and unfortunately they make you pay for map upgrades which ends up being FAR too costly to keep up with.  We appreciate the speed limit indicator on it as well as there are many times we've been traveling on back roads and failed to see speed limit signs for miles at a time!  There are great points of interest options for you to search for when visiting a new town/city as well that you can search for by specific types (Shopping, Food, Recreation, Travel, etc.)

We would like to have seen volume buttons placed on the actual GPS unit instead of always having to go back through the touch-screen options to adjust the volume. Sometimes it takes too long to find a location and we end up using our GPS navigation system built into our cell phones.

Overall though we would highly recommend this GPS to anyone looking for a great user-friendly, touch-screen with a large viewing platform!

unit is full of bug's, but tech support was great

from Sartell, MN

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I got one of these units and have had nothing but problems.Garmin tech support was great to work with.Issue I have had....-Dead battery after 4 weeks.-Voices stop working- Would not recognize my SD chip.- Cant' work with the unit when connected to a PC.I did not get a chance to use my MSN direct subscription.

The best GPS on the market. Nuvi-750 offers it all.

from Calabash, NC

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

The Nuvi - 750 has all the bells and whistles needed to be totally effective as a viable tool used in   traveling. The Nuvi- - 750 not only list favorite destinations but offers a complete listing of all shopping, gasoline stations, historic sites and so much more. The Nuvi-750 is easily adaptable to the user and is completely user friendly. My grandchildren enjoy looking up places to see while we are on the road. My wife finds interesting places to go and great places to shop. You can never get lost and are offered many options while getting to your destination.

Mant people put in directions to their own home. I do not recommend this because if your car is stolen, you have now given the address and easy access to your unoccupied home. If you feel the need to list your own home, give it an unknown name so it will not lead anyone to have easy access.

The memory is completelt adaquate. Thhe Nuvi-750 also gives the option to save a location that you have arrived at.

perfect assistance when outside your city

from Willimantic, CT

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

Garmin Nuvi 750 is one of the best GPS models and I love it because of its quick response and works simply anywhere. It has many other things in it...like currency converter, blue tooth, mp3 players etc. These all are very helpful for my day to day buisiness. When you are out some where you do not know where you can find to dine it is great...

Thank God I don't have to use MapQuest anymore!!!!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I am a person who really loves to get new tech items. Usually I take the time to read the manual and explore the item feature by feature. The Nuvi 750 didn't really require any instructions. I was able to open the box and use it without even looking at the manual. The touch screen is great and REALLY easy to use. I have recommended this GPS to all of my friends who are in the market for one. I originally purchased the Nuvi 205w which came to an untimely end when I dropped my digital camera on the screen. I immediately new that I would get another Garmin. When I started looking I found the Nuvi 750 and was so excited because it came with a lot more. Not only does it have the USB included so you can download new voices and vehicles for your map, but it also has an FM transmitter so you can broadcast the directions through the speakers in your car!!!! This is a great feature when you are in a new place where you have never been and don't want to miss any of the directions. Another feature that I love is the fact that you can insert an SD card and display your photos. This is great if you are on vacation and want to get a look at your picutres but the small screen on the back of your digital camera is just not big enough. Did I mention that this is a wide screen GPS?!?!?! Another great thing about Garmin is that if you buy your GPS and register it the site will make sure that you have the latest map version loaded. If you don't, you get one free download within a specified time to bring your maps current. How great is that?!?!?!?!?

I would be lost without my Garmin Nuvi 750!

from Revere, MA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

I have no sense of direction. That is why my mother gave me the Garmin Nuvi 750 I was really excited. Let me tell you, this is one of the best presents I have ever received. What I like most about it is that it is very self explanatory; you can just turn it on and start using it. There is not need to read the manual because all the screens are very self explanatory. I have used it to go multiple places from just the next town over to cities that are a few hours away. With this GPS I can always travel with confidence knowing that I am actually going to get there and not turn around for hours trying to find where I am going. If you buy any chance take the wrong turn, the GPS will very quickly "recalculate" and will show you which turn to take to get back on track. It also has this function that let's you save address so if are like me and always forget how to get to your best friend's house and have to text her every time to get directions and the address, this GPS will take care of that for you by saving the address in it's memory.

Safe and effective

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about Garmin nuvi 750 Portable GPS Navigator:

The Garmin Nuvi 750 is my second car GPS, replacing a smaller model.  Both used the same windshield mount technique, putting unit where you can see and hear it without looking away from the road, and it warns you about trying to program it while you're driving.  That's important for safety.  You have your choice of a man's or woman's voice in English, and it also speaks more languages than most of us have ever heard of.

The maps are amazingly complete.  The unit announces turns a good distance in advance, including left and right, and then reminds you as they get close.  The voice is well done and easy to understand and includes the street name, although it sometimes mangles pronunciation.  The name is also on the screen.  You can adjust the distance ahead that is displayed on the map.  The display changes to night mode at sunset.  You can subscribe to a service that helps alert you to real-time traffic problems for an extra fee.

It's easy to disconnect the unit and put it in your pocket or purse when you leave the car, so there's nothing important left to steal.  You can actually use it for walking around the town if you choose to.  Battery life is good.  It's easy to move from car to car.

There are a few negatives.  Garmin charges a hefty fee for map updates and releases new ones every year.  Skip them unless you're going to a lot of new areas.  In driving through some gated communities with multiple entrances, I found that it would send me out of a gate and route me into another that was locked -- a problem when I was visiting and didn't have the code.  It has told me left instead of right on a few occasions, but I could see where to go from the map.  The windshield mount can come loose and can stick if left on in hot weather.  Some states such as California don't allow windshield mounting.

It's not perfect, but I have never found a better one.  Somebody once asked Daniel Boone whether he had ever been lost, and he replied "No, but I was mighty confused for 3 days once!"  I've been mighty confused a good many times, but the Garmin wasn't and took me right to my destination.