Other GPS Devices:

Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Garmin Nuvi 205 gets you where you want to go.

The Garmin Nuvi 205 is the only GPS I have ever had and is the only one I will ever need. Well, that is as long as this one is still working. The Garmin Nuvi 205 is easy to use as I have never needed to read anything in the manual to get where I wanted to go. The Garmin Nuvi 205 works great locally and for travel. The Garmin Nuvi 205 has guided me and my family on all our driving vacations. The Garmin Nuvi 205 even got us to places that have no addresses like waterfalls. Me and my wife love to visit waterfalls and the Garmin Nuvi 205 navigated us right to the ones we wanted to see when we went North Carolina, South Carolina, and the western part of Virginia. We plan on using it on our trip to Niagara Falls. The Garmin Nuvi 205 has never got us lost and has never lost our location. I have heard some of the really cheap GPS system can lose your current location for some time and you can miss a turn before it reconfigures the right location. I am glad this has never happen with the Garmin Nuvi 205. I guess the only bad thing is that is only good for the US, it will be of no help to us when we go to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. It is great for places in the US but won't help if you want to go to Canada or Mexico or further south. So as long as you need to get somewhere in the US the Garmin Nuvi 205 will get you there no problem but if you want to drive in foreign lands you will need to buy something better.

Meh - it's ok!

Lucy - yes, I've called my GPS Lucy - is our 2nd Garmin.  Hubby bought one when we lived in Ireland before moving out here to the states and he loved it.  We got this because although I'm a competent and confident driver here, I don't know what roads I need to take to get me to where I'm going, plus we travel quite a lot and need guidance more often than not!

I've not had it for very long, but I've already started to get a feel for it. We chose to set it to the British voice as I found it more pleasing to listen to.

I find Lucy takes longer than I'd like to wake up and get a satellite fix on where I'm at, she's gotten more than one speed limit on the road incorrect, she's often confused by whether i'm on the frontage road or whether i'm on the freeway, sometimes, she takes the most convaluted way to get me where I need to be (including on unnecessary toll roads).

Good points - she tells you the speed limit on the road (even though sometimes she gets it wrong), she tells you the speed you're going, she's got a wide screen so you can see a large selection of the map,  It's lightweight and slim, compact - so it fits in my bag or pocket when I pull up into a parking lot.  It came with preloaded maps and is ready to go, there was minimal set up and it was easy for even a tech-idiots like myself.  It's basically a turn it on and it's ready to go kind of deal.

It works well

from Williamsburg, VA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

I bought the Garmin nuvi 205 for my parents and it has worked pretty well. There has only been 1 time when it got us lost. I mean very lost. traveling to snowshoe, WV and it kept wanting us to get off of the interstate and wanted us to take back roads. After following exactly what the GPS was telling us we ended up in a state park, the road turned to gravel then to dirt and it wanted us to continue straight and there was a guard rail and woods where it wanted us to go. We ended up turning it off and just guessing where to go and eventually found out hotel. Other then this it works great. It has taken us exactly where we need to go. I like how it also shows your speed and the speed limit because a lot of time places are not well marked. It is very easy to use. The touch screen works great!

Garmin Nuvi GPS Navigator

from Auburn, ME

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

I already have GPS in my car but I got this as a gift. I've never had a portable before so I have nothing to compare it to but I love it. I keep it in my bag and it's already saved the day once when I was traveling with a friend whose car DID NOT have GPS. Phew!

Good GPS

from Webster, MA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

This is a pretty simple Global positioning system. I have had only a few small issues with it. It is easy to use and gets me where I need to go.

Processing Speed
It tends to take a little time for the GPS to process the address, but it's still works good. At times, the gps looses satalites and re-calculates.

Map Quality & Accuracy
I have only had a few times when it has been incorrect.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Had many issues at first until I uploaded new maps

from Somers, NY

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

Initially I hated this prodcut because it would freeze when I was using it for directions and would not allow me to reset it. I had to unplug the unit and allow the battery to run out. After calling the company who basically told me too bad so sad, my husband decided to upload a new map and boom- the problem was fixed. This was done almost a year ago and it has never frozen again. Obviously the initial one was so poor with the map upload and the company was useless but now I love my garmin.

Great GPS!

from Head Waters, VA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

We have used this GPS for a while now and are very satisfied with it. It is easy to use and has never gotten us lost! When we choose to go a different way then it's first suggestion it gets back on track very quickly. The voice can be changed and the volume is adjustable. I am glad we have this on trips, as it helps us find our destination and local food places and shops!

Processing Speed
Some times it takes a couple of minutes to get the directions up and running.

Never lost!

Very easy to use!

"Thank you GPS Lady"

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

That is what we say every time our GPS gets us to a location! We've had this GPS for almost 4 years now and we've never had a problem. It starts up fairly fast and finds a signal quickly as well. I like the voice of the GPS. It's friendly. I know that may sound petty but my mother's GPS lady has an attitude! We laugh so hard when we have to use it.

Processing Speed
It loads up in a reasonable amount of time.

Map Quality & Accuracy
We haven't had any real problems that I can recall. But I believe all GPS's have a few bugs so I'll give it a 4.

There's not a lot of bells and whistles but what you need is right there and easy to use.

VERY accurate, user-friendly GPS

from Xenia, OH

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

I LOVE this GPS!  Already had a TomTom--this Garmin GPS surpasses the TomTom by a long shot!  Generally speaking, I don't believe Garmin GPS's have as many 'fun' bells and whistles as a TomTom (extra voices, cursor choices, etc.).  But, the Garmin outshines a TomTom in MANY other areas--ease of use, easy to read [uncluttered] screen, VERY fast start-up, and finds targets well.  LOVE the fact that it tells you what side of the street your 'target' is on!  :)  Has gotten me lost a few times, but I've discovered every GPS has its glitches.  I lost connections in Hawaii a lot, but many other tourists lost connections there [Oahu] as well--no matter what brand/type of GPS they had.  Really miss, though, having the option of a male American voice giving me directions.  I find the woman's voice isn't quite loud/deep enough when there's lots of road noise.  Am disappointed, too, that this GPS didn't come with lifetime maps like a lot of GPS's do nowadays.  Also, it would be VERY nice if this GPS allowed you to delete selected [found] addresses versus ALL of them.  :(  Aside from the cons, this is a VERY nice 'starter' GPS for the money.  :)

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Great GPS, expensive updates.

from Ehrhardt, SC

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

If you're interested in purchasing this item, consider the cost of map updates. If you're able, purchase a unit with free map updates instead.

Processing Speed
The processing speed is usually pretty fast. Sometimes it takes a minute to upload the maps, so don't start driving unless your GPS is ready with you!

Map Quality & Accuracy
Above all, this device usually gets me to where I want to go. However, there was one major instance where it put me in a dangerous situation. I put in the address of where I was going and it took me down some back-roads where I ended up on private property in a bad area.

I really really like the touch screen and fast processing speed.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

The Garmin Nuvi 205 is not bad.

from Stillwater, OK

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

I bought this Nuvi 205 on Black friday. They said the map is 2010 version, but I can still find the resturant which has been closed in my twon 3 years ago. Without speaking the street name, it is somehow not convenient. Since it is cheap one, it is fine.

I never get lost with my Garmin-nuvi 205. it completes travel!

from O Fallon, MO

Comments about Garmin nuvi 205 205W Portable GPS Navigator:

I always keep my Garmin (Wilma) in my car, yes she has a name because I rely on her so much. She has helped me get out of so many bad situations and gets me out of strange places quickly. Just enter the address and go!