Other GPS Devices:
Garmin
010-00810-05
Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator

Great but can be slightly better

I am a loyal customer to Garmin Nuvi GPS. My last one was a 4.3" screen and I love the features and functionality on it. No doubt am I getting this next upgraded one with lifetime of maps and traffic. The screen on the 1490LMT is larger at 5". Even though it does not sound like a big difference, but it does make a large difference. The routes and maps are easier to view especially when you are driving on the road without having to squint. I love the new look of the icons and it is easy to browse through the features of the GPS with the 3D aspect of the map. I like the way the Garmin gives directions to let you know in advance when the next exit or turn is coming up.  The GPS is also loud and clear and comes with the bluetooth technology as well.

A few cons about the GPS. The Garmin has taken me through routes that don't seem to make sense. One time I was taken through a mountainous dark highwway when I could've stayed on the freeway and made the drive easier and safer. Other times, it would take me through smaller and inconvenient roads than the more efficient route. I still need to rely on Google maps and use the GPS as a back up when I get lost.  I also noticed that the Traffic feature on the 1490 does not come up as easily. You need to connect the Traffic receiver, so I cannot let my GPS standalone without wires. Then I need to try and set up the Traffic by finding the settings. That part was a little inconvenient when I expected the Traffic feature to come up immediately when turned on.

The unit still operates great..if you get satellite. I think that is something else the Garmin needs to improve on. However, compared to other GPS units out there (especially non-Garmin), I highly recommend this product.

Garmin n?vi 1490T Car GPS Receiver

Screen size is 5.1 inch, however no change in the resolution. That makes the images big and jagged, not something so great. Ad supported traffic may not be good for all users. Screen size, blutooth calling and free trafic data plus points.

Great Product

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I am a big fan of Garmin GPSs. This one has a large screen with makes it easy to glance at in traffic. I like the set up of the map, as it makes it clear where you are going. If I ever get off track, the GPS will direct me back. The voice is clear and easy to understand. I would recommend this GPS to anybody looking for a reliable product. Although the maps on mine are slightly outdated, I haven't had too much trouble getting back on route when I am on newer roads.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

Excellent choice of portable navigation unit.

from Macon, GA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

Unit has an excellent 5 inch display both for daylight and night viewing.
The spoken directions are clear, concise, accurate and on time.

Processing Speed
Unit has no difficulty acquiring satellites, even when used indoors.
Reaction to my changing route from that prescribed is fast and accurate.
ETA's given are amazingly accurate, almost to the minute.
I have not used the Bluetooth capabilty as my car has a hands free cell phone link.
I have not encountered a traffic situation so cannot comment on that aspect.

Map Quality & Accuracy
To date, maps are accurate and updates easy to download.

There is a lot to learn to get the most out of this device but most of it is intuitive.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

I LOVE MY GARMIN NUVI GPS

from Bunker Hill, WV

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

There are so many great things about this produt l I love like the calculator and unit converter tools, also the Way Points that you can set for long trips, and the "Where Am I?" feature that gives you your exact GPS coordinates and it has a large and bright display which makes it easy on the eyes. this product is well worth buying I feel it delivers a wonderful GPS experience for the cost. and all of the extra features makes it fun to use. this product is well worth buying

Love my Garmin nuvi 1490t car gps receiver!

from Pensacola, FL

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I got this gps from my father this past christmas as a surprise! I didnt know if it's an investment to get this, but my father got me this anyway. My mother moved up north recently so I needed this gps to get around up there. I do love the fact that I can use it in my hometown without needing directions. Alot of times I have it show the map when i'm driving so i can see if i need to make a short cut to particular areas. I love how I can set up the different language and change the male/female voices as well. If i didn't follow the direction, the gps quickly recalculates and get me back to where I needed to be. It does have some errors where it tells me to take a right instead of left, but not too bad. It also has a fun features where I can keep track of how much gas i uses and and how many miles per trip. And when I'm traveling out of town, it helps let me know a head of time if i will be hitting traffic in major cities and if i do, it let me know how long it will take to pass through. Overall, I feel that its real useful and fun to use! Hope this helps!

Gets You to where you need to go!

from Webster, TX

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

This neat GPS system can get you to where ever you need to go. It can take all the wway across the country, with out making any mistakes, and sterring you clear of all of the major traffic back ups.  It really comes in handy when you are going somewhere for the first time, or even going to work when you are still too tired to think. It even helps when you are out geo-caching. It is the only GPS system you will need. It some times makes a mistake, but not usually.When it does, it wont be off by more than a block or two. Its a great system, especially for any one who often find them selves thinking "Wait, Where am I? Is it a right or a left? Oops! other way!" Any one can use, and enjoy it. There are tons of fun voices you can download that make every one laugh. I would suggest it to any one out there looking for a gps. Absolutely great, and extremely accurate. Every one whos tries it will love it!

Garmin n?vi 1490T Car GPS Receiver

from Tampa, FL

Reliable GPS so far.

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I take long 200 mile drives into the Sierras all the time with random stops for gas and food.  The Garmin GPS allows me to make those random stops along the way without having to worried about getting lost.  The great things about this model is the large 5" screen which makes everything easier to read.  The antenna seems to pick up satellites relatively quickly.  The bluetooth function works well, so for those without bluetooth built into their cars, this GPS will give you handsfree capability while driving.  The traffic receiver doesn't seem to work so well.  Sometimes, I get alerts that there is bad traffic ahead and I cruise right through and there is barely a handful of cars on the road.  Other times, the traffic receiver says there is no congestion, but I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.  So don't let the traffic receiver become a selling point for this model.  Other than that, this GPS delivers on every other feature.  I also got the version with lifetime maps.  After all, the GPS is only good if the maps remain up-to-date.

Garmin nuvi 1490T is pretty great

from Aberdeen, MS

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

This GPS comes with an easily mountable,  large screened, display. It gives acurate, easy to understand directions.This is the 5 inchscreen , and that is what I assume is the largest currently available in dash mounted GPS electronics.  I have previously owned a Tom tom and the biggest concern was having to update so often, lest I get lost in the middle of nowhere. This is alleviated with the Garmin unit to a great extent. The other issue I had with the Tom tom was that it never told me which side of the road my destination was on. The Garmin fixes that as well. I also much prefer the graphics or the Garmin, but I suppose that is just a personal deal. It also has a feature called eco route that purports to give you a route that uses less gasoline, but I am not certain it really does much. Though, given the price, that seems not much of a factor. The best feature in my opinion, which is present on most GPS save for entry models, is the ability to pick the fastest route. I have been able to save time that way. So in short, it is a great unit, which can be found at a good price...

Garmin

from Austin, TX

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

This is definetly one of the beter GPS systems out there. It is very reliable, and has many handy features. It's also easy to use. My family oes on roadtrips every year, and we take our Garmin with us, and it gets us to where we want to go without any problems. Sometimes it takes a minutes to connect to its signal though.

Garmin 265WT: Good features, accuracy, and value

from Theodore, AL

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1490 1490T 1490LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

After reviewing a number of models, my second unit is a Garmin 265WT. Easy to setup and use; read the simple manual before use. Firmware and map downloads work on both my Mac and PC. I like the 'save this location' feature where you can set a favorite location at any point in your travels. The Traffic mode works well but you have to change screens to see it in action, and the cell phone speakerphone setup was straightforward and seems to work okay. Automatic re-routing works fast; map rotation is a bit slow, though, but quickly orients after a few seconds. Nice bright and wide screen, locks to satellites within a minute, many spoken languages to choose from (even Polish!), but for my ear American English is the most clear. Get a good non-skid portable dashboard mounted base rather than attaching to the windshield - safer, easier, and faster to setup and remove. In comparison, price was a good value and the unit was delivered when expected.