Other GPS Devices:

Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator

Great for field studies

from College Station, TX

Comments about Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator:

I used these for my field studies while working on my Masters thesis research. i found it to be accurate and very easy to use. I've never had any issues with it. No need for more expensive brands. I'm currently working on a PhD at another university. I use a more expensive Garmin handheld, but the currently discussed model is just as good. I definitely recommend for field research studies or hiking and other outdoor activities.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

Best Value

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator:

I love the Garmin eTrex for a couple of reasons: (1) it does its job nicely and (2) it is CHEAP.  It is my first GPS unit and most likely will be my only GPS unit for a while.  I’m an avid hiker and backpacker, and I’ve always been taught to carry around a map and compass.  That’s what I did until I needed a GPS to do Geocaching.  The Garmin eTrex is perfect for a beginner.  I didn’t even read the manual at first since the interface is so intuitive (I do recommend that you read the manual, however, as some of the more technical settings require a more in-depth understanding).  For what it is and the price, it is a great unit.  It doesn’t have maps, but you should be carrying around a map with you if you’re hiking anyway.  It’s very durable – I’ve dropped mine several times, have gotten it wet, taken it in sub-freezing temperatures, etc. and it keeps on ticking.  It would be really nice if the unit came with a connector to the computer, preferably a USB.  It is a pain to manually enter coordinates, but this unit is for the minimalist who can do without the bells and whistles.  In addition to getting you from point A to point B, this thing also tracks distance, speed, elevation, etc. – which is really neat if you’re into tracking things like that for hikes.