Other GPS Devices:

Garmin Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

My Garmin-nuvi Car GPS Receiver, Was A No Regret Purchase

** The Garmin-Nuvi Car GPS Reciever , was the best gift ever . i got mine just befor my holiday trip to Texas , and I was impressed at how easy and quick it was to work , i took it out of the box plugged it into cars power source , and within minutes there was my little car ready to go.                                                                     I just put in State , City , Address off we went . i liked that it would display your arrival time, distance to destination , and speed .                                                     The only thing that could be a problem for some is you have to have your address correct , but in my case i would get the number of my destination , call and ask for the address type it in ,and arrive .I was suprised that when we boarded the ferry in Galvenston, it told me i was entering and exiting the ferry , and it showed the speed the ferry was traveling . if you miss a exit or a turn etc. it recaculates immeditaly ,and gets you back on track .                                                                       All I can say is I Love my Garmin, and you will love Yours too !**

Takes the long way

I brought this for my husband for Christmas this year.  Updated the software on their website.  I was really surprised that the GPS could not find the movie theatre within 10 miles of my home.  I then tried it when we went to Philly and it kept telling us to get off exits before the actual exit came up.  It told us to make rights on one way streets which go the opposite way.  It only came in handy when we were within blocks of the store.  My last adventure with the GPS was finding a hunting store.  The garmin said make a right and we were there.  Good thing we didn't listen because I would be parking in a private home.  In fact the store was actually 3 extra miles away and we had to stop and ask someone for directions.  I really don't think Garmin has enough updates to be consistantly right.  I'm double guessing everything she says at this point.  It has actually been a joke in the car where the Garmin can take us.  Maybe it will get better since my husband is stuck with it.  Oh well.  Buy and learn.

GPS for Dummies

from Houston, TX

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

I am pretty techie inclined and appreciate the GPS system on my phone but it would be nice to have a regular GPS with screen to watch as well.  It's too hard to hold my cell phone, look at the screen and listen to the directions, so I looked for what would be GPS for dummies and my friend recommended the **Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS Device**.

***What I like about the Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS Device: ***

- easy to install - just plug it in charge, update maps and off you go

- easy to take out of car no cords it's a simply suction cup

- can attach to just about anywhere in your car

- not too big a screen if installed on windshield

- clock and mileage markers

- lights up automatically at night

- easy to read, program, hear and use

***What I don't like about the Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS Device:***

- it's talks a little too much and sometimes doesn't tell you to exit or turn until the last minute

Overall the **Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS device** is nothing if not easy! Truly GPS for dummies, I didn't have to learn how to do anything in order to use it and that is exactly what I needed.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Regular updates are needed in order to maintain map quality and accuracy, and it is nice to have the prompts to remind you to update.

Even the kids can use this one.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

Garmin Does it Again

from Forest, VA

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

Getting from point A to point B can be a hassle at times, and that's typically where a GPS can come in to save the day.  I love Garmin devices for their reliability, portability, and functionality, and while they may be a bit expensive, they are definitely the GPS to get if you are looking for something to place on your dashboard.  One of my favorite features of this GPS is the fact that the screen is spacious.  The menus are decently easy to control, while the device itself is easy enough to pull around if you need to.  I liked it for the fact that it was easy to get a hold of, and while it is definitely a chore to upgrade maps due to the price of doing so.  I like Garmin for what they provide, but I'd also look for a device that can come with the lifetime maps feature.  It makes things a bit easier to get to because maps are free for life, otherwise they charge a ton for them.  I would consider getting another device if it would come with the maps.

Garmin Nuvi 760

from NY, NY

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

I am not a fan of this device. In fact, I do not like GPS features at all. This device is very annoying. It does not give accurate directions at all. It keeps saying recalulating! I sometimes want to throw it out the window. Also, when I try to put an address in, it never takes it. If I am trying to find a hotel or resturant it is impossible to find. I would rather print directions out from the computer and follow a map!

Garmin is easy to use and highly functional

from Gainesville, FL

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

The Garmin Nuvi is a great investment for those who are on the road a lot or are not the most directionally gifted. It is also great for those who are going to a new area. I used the Garmin to drive across the country and at no point did it guide us the wrong way. It is great for finding places to eat or go, the nearest gas station etc. when you're not familiar with an area. This is especially nice for those who do not have a smartphone to help navigate. It allows some freedom and reduces your planning when going on a trip because the Garmin can fill in those simple blanks (like finding a _____ store when you have an unexpected need come up). Some low points of the Garmin are that you may have it set for the shortest route or shortest time when you actually meant to be using the other option. Also, it can be distracting when trying to drive and drivers should use it with caution. That said, not having to follow direction and search for road signs allows you to put more of your attention on the traffic around you.

With the Garmin Nuvi 760, I only get lost in the music now.

from Florissant, MO

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

I've never used a GPS before, which left me printing directions from mapquest or google maps (or incases where I was out of ink, scribbling directions by hand on envelope backs). The problem I had was if I missed a turn or there was construction, I was sunk. I can read a map, but not going 45+ miles per hour. The Garmin Nuvi 760 has allowed me to step outside of that. I am no longer searching street signs, I just glance to doublecheck as I turn left when directed.

I'm sure many GPS units are good for this as well, but I am partial to the Nuvi because of its customizations. It has expandable memory with a slot in the side for an SD card. Currently I have a 2 GB in it and it holds more songs than I knew I even liked. Besides being able to play the songs wherever I go due to the portability and LOUD speakers, I can also broadcast them to an FM station in the car. The Nuvi 760 is bluetooth enabled so I can link it to my cellphone and take calls over my car radio as I drive, helping me be a much safer driver.

There are some downsides of the device however:

It is difficult sometimes to get the songs on playlists that you want and is somewhat counterintuitive, forcing you to read your owners manual for step-by-step instructions the first few times.

The call quality is usually pretty good on my end of phone calls, but the other end of the line often has trouble hearing me if there is a lot of background noise, like the windows being down.

Also, the Nuvi 760 does not come with an outlet charger for in the house. It does have a link to the computer with a USB cable and charges while it is on that, but if you haven't got a computer it must be charged in the car.

With these minor setbacks, I still really enjoy my Nuvi 760. I have been a little rough with it and it is quite sturdy. Make sure you get a screen protector if you buy it since all the functions are done by touch screen so you don't want it to get ruined.

I have Garmin Nuvi 760 and it has very good performance and...

from North Brunswick, NJ

Hi Friends,

I am a big fan of Garmin nuvi 760 product of Global positioning system (GPS) as it has really very nice features and functionality...specifically I am using FM Transmission, Routes, Short and long, Point of Interest which i am using maximum all the time whenever i go out, I use it. with Nuvi 760 my life become so easy, i dont need to worry for anything...and the main thing is it never lost me anywhere. i have noticed it has very accurate map as i have latest map for 2009 and due to that i never lost anywhere. I glad to have my Garmin with me and I am happy to recommend this product to everyone, there is no doubt that it has worth spend money on it. I never felt alone when I am driving as always my Nuvi is there to give my accompany... This product is really robust and I highly recommend this product to everyone, there is no second thought about it, as before I bought this product I have done lots of research on GPS system and I come to know that Garmin Nuvi 760 has really good value and excellent reviews on web, and I am happy to say that I am not cheated.

Thanks

Roops

Garmin is the greatest!!

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

We just got a Garmin Nuvi 760 as a christmas present for each other.  We are lon time travelers with a husband who does not stop for directions.

You can imagine how many times we've ended up mad at each other because we were lost.  Well, we will be lost no more.

This Garmin is wonderful.  It has maps of everything. It talks to you when your lost and it corrects your mistakes.  We love it.  We will never travel without it again.

It is totally easy to set up, the system navigates that whole process for you as well.  Once you've downloaded the maps from your computer, you are set to go.

Straight out of the box, you can get a little lost, expecially if you are computer handicapped, like my husband.  He thought he could take it out of the box and use it.  I had to convince him that you had to conncet it to a computer first.  For these poor souls, Garmin needs to put a big yellow sticker on the front saying something like, "MUST BE COMPUTER LOADED BEFORE USING".

But we love our new gadget and wouldn't go anywhere without it.  It entertains us the whole time.

outstanding gps system

from Savannah, GA

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

The garmin-nuvi 760 4.4 inch car gps receiveer was given to me as a gift about a year ago before I was journeying out to a new area of the country.  I can say this device failed to let me down and became a useful source of information on almost a daily basis.  When I was without internet service in my location, this device truly became a best friend to help me navigate.  The great thing about this garmin is that not only can it be used as a car system gps navigation, but also can be removed from the dash, can run on the lithium battery that holds a charge for several hours, and used as a gps as you navigate on foot.  It truly becomes a walking tour guide as it audially and visually guides you step by step and turn by turn.  It points out important landmarks to look for and makes finding places extremely easy.  The wide screen is a new feature on this garmin and gives you a broader perspective of where you are going.  Comparatively priced and from a leading brand name!

Garmin Nuvi--almost great!

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

I received the Garmin Nuvi 760 GPS for a birthday gift in September 2010. Thankfully, I had to drive 10 hours a few days after receiving the gift, and the Garmin really helped make the trip quite easy, especially when I got lost. Every time to go "off-route", the GPS will recalculate from your current location in order to get you back to where you need to be (I'ev never had a GPS before, but I found this to be quite useful and amazing). Unfortunately, after a few months, the machine stopped reading out street names, and would only tell me when I had to turn, and let me tell you, when you're living in the Northeast will all of the crazy intersections we have, this can be pretty confusing. I'm not sure if it was a software update or what, but I do miss that feature.

Really Disappointed with Garmin

from Kirkland, WA

Comments about Garmin Portable GPS Navigator:

I've had problems with my Garmin Nuvi 760 right from the start. It would tell me incorrect street names and incorrect routes! EXTREMELY frustrating when I relied on it for getting to appointments! And this happens almost every time I use it whether I'm going somewhere 20 minutes away or 500 miles away. I was satisfied with Garmin in the past, but now I've turned my back on them. I wanted to return it right away, but I kept hoping that the GPS would for once just get me to my destination straight through. Isn't that what it's supposed to do??

Seriously, if you're going to purchase this GPS, DO YOUR SHOPPING AND RESEARCH and look into other devices. There are some other ones out there that are way less expensive and have better features than this one. The bluetooth on this GPS is disappointing too, but I still have yet to find a GPS that has decent bluetooth. THe sound is not clear and cuts out if you try to use the bluetooth. I hate that it doesn't feature the newer roads either. I live in a city and new highways, streets, and carpool areas are being added all the time, but my GPS never picks up on it and thus routes me to an area that takes longer to get to. Definitely NOT worth the money.

It also does not tell me to turn in time. I'll be coming up to a corner and just about to make my turn and THEN it tells me to turn while I'm already half way through doing it. I swear this GPS is more likely to get me in an accident than another car or person. I panick and try to look at the screen and map all the time because it never tells me in time where to turn. Since I'm in the city, there is a ton of traffic and I need to act fast. I need a GPS that can tell me ahead of time where to go or turn. This one just doesn't do the job. The POIs are also frustrating. I never can find what I'm looking for, especially if it was built within the past year or so (and I have done the updates and downloads on this one, too).

I had a small Navigon previously that worked great. WIsh I had stuck with that one.