Other GPS Devices:

Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

Garmin Nuvi: Even if You Don't Think You Need It, You Do

I have always had an adequate sense of direction.  Raised in the city, I can navigate my way through unfamiliar territory.  My job has always involved lots of travel, lots of driving.  Before buying the Garmin, I had experienced the quirks of friends' navigation devices, one of which kept insisting that we were driving into the San Francisco Bay, when, in fact, we were safely on the Bay Bridge.  However, I am now convinced that having this GPS device is a great thing, although less because of its navigation capabilities than its other many features.

The Garmin is, obviously, an effective navigation tool.  It will easily get you where you want to go.  Inputting addresses is far easier than I had expected, as the device anticipates your choices as you type.  It will get you back home again, with the touch of a single button.  The preprogrammed voice (haven't explored the others) is calm and reassuring, and not overly alarmed when it needs to let you know it is 'recalculating' your route.

However, the things that have sold me on this particular device aren't necessarily directly related to navigating.  I love that this tool tells me when I will reach my destination, allowing me to plan ahead for stops along the route.  I love that it can inform me that according to its calculation of the traffic along my route, I have time to stop for coffee on the way to work without arriving late.  I also appreciate that it 'reminds' me (visually, not audibly) about the speed limits en route, which can sometimes be a difficult thing to determine if you are driving in an unfamiliar area.  Its compact size allows me to transport it in my purse during the day, handy for preventing its being stolen from my car.

The Garmin is one of those devices that once you have it, you will marvel at the fact that you ever managed to function without it.  No matter how good your sense of direction...

A good GPS but...

I have to say it's been a hug eimprovement over the GPS that I used to have, but it still has some kinks in it.  First of all, it speaks the name of the streets out loud which is very nice, because then you know exactly what to look for.  Secondly, the turning assistance is nice, because it shows you on the screen how to make a parctiular turn.  This can be very useful for those tricky unfamiliar intersections where you may have some issues finding your way even with GPS.  Despite the positives, there is always the negative with any product.  First of all, like any GPS, this one feels the need to take you into the most ghetto neighborhoods for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  I have literally been on a straight stretch of highway, and it has taken me off that highway to drive down a one way road in one of most congested high crime areas in New Jersey, only to get back onto the same exact highway.  It also seems to take a while to pick up satellite reception, so give it a few minutes to warm up before you actually need to go anywhere.  It also tends to lose its signal after taking you into the absolute worst neighborhoods.

I trust Garmin

from Dayton, OH

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I was using the map on my smart phone and about drove off the road trying to drive and look at the phone. That doesn't work. I invested in the Garmin and never looked back. It is so nice to look up where you are going and save yourself the stress of getting lost.

Durable

from Aliso Viejo, CA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

We've been using this GPS for more than 5 years and never complaint about it. Its affordable, compact and light weight. Its easy ti update the maps through a computer just connected with the USB and its very easy to use.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

I don't get lost anymore!!

from College Grove, TN

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

Love this garmin!!! It's super easy to use! Love that you can just click go home and you don't have to worry about how to get back home. It's so easy to use my 6 year old helps navigate using this. Wish the road updates were free but that's my only complaint with this garmin!

This is a good GPS.

from Houston, TX

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

Better than my old Tom Gps. I like the screen which is clear and easy to manipulate. The screen size is enough for me. I also like the stick part. It is easy to stick to the windows. The accuracy is ok. The processing speed is fast most time. But sometimes it is very slow. The recalculation is slow.

Perfect for Travel

from New Baltimore, MI

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I don't know what I would do without this GPS! I was never a good map reader, so had to get myself one of these. This one sports a 4.3 inch screen and includes free lifetime maps if you need to update the system. One feature that is very helpful is "Lane Assist". The gps tells you want lane you should go into to make turning easier and you won't accidently pass by your turn. The gps has turn by turn navigation and even speaks the street names to you instead of just saying "turn right in 100 feet" which can get confusing if you aren't sure how close you are to your destination. Overall, it is easy to use and a MUST for traveling!!

Garmin Assists the Directionally Challenged

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I love the Garmin. This seriously is the best product I have ever owned. Before this I was forever getting lost as I am really directionally challenged. Now that I have this it is much easier to get to places that I have never been before. The only slight negative is that I have had some troubles with newer roads in the area.

Easy to use

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I am really impressed with this garmin. I love that it is small so I can throw it in my purse and take it anywhere. So far it's been extremely accurate. It is very functional and very easy to use. I had another brand of GPS which took forever to load but I don't have that problem with this one!

Garmin is the best

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

Have had other brands and Garmin is by far the best on the market. It is portable and nice. It has many options, lifetime map updating, live traffic and more. Love the ease of use and won't leave home without it. Have updated some of my favorite routes and it has never given me the wrong directions.

The best GPS ever.

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I love this gps. I love that the directions are spoken to you instead of you just looking at a map.

My husband and I were sold on Garmin because the gentleman who sold it to us at best buy said that Garmin gets info from 8 different satellites which makes it the most accurate. Tom tom only uses and Magellan uses 3.

Has some features that are very useful: the where am i feature, the traffic (THE TRAFFIC is amazing, it reroutes you to save times if there are delays or accidents).

Processing Speed
Very fast connecting to satellites

lifesaver!

from Waddell, AZ

Comments about Garmin nuvi 1350 1350T 1350LMT Portable GPS Navigator:

I love how easy the Garmin is to use and it always gets me where i need to go. Love it!

Processing Speed
I have never had to wait more that a few seconds for it to process address information and give the best route.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Very accurate. I have used it many times and only had to redirect once.

very user friendly. I went over the user manual once and was good to go