Other Weight Loss Products:

GNC Total Lean Shake Vanilla Bean

Easy to Customize

from Hartford, CT

Comments about GNC Total Lean Shake Vanilla Bean:

I love shopping at GNC since I always find such interesting products. I usually have a shake of some variety for breakfast every morning and tried mixing my own for a while so I picked up some Total Lean Shake in the Vanilla Bean flavor.

I wasn't overly concerned with the protein levels since I do get plenty of protein elsewhere in my diet. I was mainly concerned about it only as a factor in helping to keep me full and it did a good job of that.

I liked that this was a vanilla flavor that I could easily change depending on my mood that day, adding a banana or a handful of berries, some peanut butter, or a bit of instant coffee granules.

I always mixed mine with milk and ice and it resulted in a nice, thick, flavorful shake. I liked that this did not have any particular nasty aftertaste like many protein powders seem to have.

Overall, this was easy to customize and really quite tasty. It does take a bit more time to prepare in the mornings which is not ideal, but it's not outrageously time consuming so it is doable if you prepare ahead of time.

These shakes are filling and they taste good.

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about GNC Total Lean Shake Vanilla Bean:

I should start by saying that I am very particular about protein shakes and bars, etc. My husband will eat or drink anything without cringing. I cannot and will not do that. If I am eating or drinking something, it has to taste good. I can say that I fully endorse these shakes based on flavor. Plus, vanilla shakes are easy to adapt. You can add a banana to these for a banana shake, or cocoa powder for a chocolate shake. You can also add ice and some coffee and make a "frappe."

This product is super easy to use. Add some water, coffee, or milk (for extra protein) and shake it up. I do recommend either a shaker bottle (with whisk ball insert) or a blender of some sort. Otherwise, you may end up with protein powder "lumps" in your drink. This does not change the flavor of the shake, but may make the texture strange and undesirable.

I used these shakes in conjunction with working out and eating well and was very happy with the results.

Better Choices Out There

from Edgewood, MD

Comments about GNC Total Lean Shake Vanilla Bean:

Tried the GNC Weight Loss kit and the vanilla and chocolate lean shakes were a part of it.  The shakes actually taste pretty decent. They both have flavors that are what you hope to get--not a lot of "vitaminy"  or chalky after taste like some protein shakes.  It is fairly thick which can help give you that "filled up" feeling, though I like to add it to my morning coffee and I would have preferred it not as thick.

Calorie count is a decent 180, and sugar is fairly low 5 grams. But what I think is it's biggest draw back--protein is only 9 grams.  But if you're really looking for a good meal replacement, the protein count is kind of low.  You can have something like an Atkins ready to drink Protein Shake for 160 calories, only 1 gram of sugar and still get 15 grams of protein.  And to take it a step up, I think EAS Protein Powder (or something similar) is an even better choice. With that you get 23 grams of Protein for only 120 calories and still just 1 gram of sugar.  Both Atkins and EAS also taste very good.  Not a bad product, but could be better nutritionally.

Smells like cake batter, whips up nice and thick!

from Birch Run, MI

GNC Total Lean Vanilla Bean Shake

I have done my time with Slim Fast. I have been using the product off and on since I was in High School. Mind you, I am now 35 years old, so that tells you how long SF has been in the picture. The only thing I still like from them is the ready to drink Cappuccino Delight shake in a can. I put them in the freezer for a few minutes and have one for breakfast. I also like one of the snack bars because it reminds me of a Butterfinger, but the name escapes me at the moment. I can’t follow the actual Slim Fast plan. I always feel like I am starving. Even when they came out with the Optima formula. Not only that, everything is SO sweet I can’t even stand to eat the bars.

I am however in need of a simple plan to shed some weight. What I am not though is someone who can drink their calories. I need that psychological aspect of eating. Putting the food in my mouth and chewing. Because of this I have never really been able to stick to the liquid diet of replacing two meals a day with two shakes a day.

With all of these new formulas out now days they have less sugar, more protein and more fiber giving  you that full feeling and keeping you full much longer.

Maybe, just maybe I can try that.

Years ago when the GNC line first came out, I gave it a try. The chocolate shake was thin and tasted like watered down chocolate milk. I was hungry within the hour. I never bought another canister. The other day I was in our local GNC getting some herbal supplements to help with my illnesses and noticed they had single serve packets on sale for 99cents. When I asked the girl if she had something to control my appetite while working on my weight loss, she suggested the shakes. They have no stimulants which is good because I am very sensitive to medications and supplements. She stated she had a shake every morning for breakfast. It was easy and she will still losing weight, was not hungry, still had a lot of energy. We talked for a bit and found we had a lot in common with our weight, love of food, depression and anxiety. Talking to her was godsend. She was so helpful.

I decided to try the Swiss Chocolate and Vanilla Bean. I had the Vanilla Bean yesterday for lunch, about 1:30p and I did not get hungry until 6ish. I was too lazy to use a blender. I used skim milk instead of water. As soon as I tore the package open I could tell it was going to at least taste good by the smell. It smelled just like cake batter. I put 8oz skim milk in a cup and stirred the powder in to it with a fork. Then I continued to stir with the fork until the powder was dissolved. It dissolved very well and I did not have any clumps. It was nice and thick. To trick my brain I used a spoon to “drink” it like soup and took my time. It was yummy and I plan to buy more. The girl at GNC said she purchased some of the sugar free flavored coffee syrups to add some flavors to the shakes for variety. I know the shakes themselves come in 3 or 4 flavors. She purchased orange to add to the vanilla to make an orange cream. Sounded yummy!

Today or tomorrow I plan to try the Swiss Chocolate.