1.8

1.8

Pros

Cons

• Types/Options:

I liked GMAC, but they sold our mortgage.

We originally had our mortgage with USAA, who immediately sold the mortgage to GMAC. We were GMAC customers for over 5 years. We live in Florida and the housing market really took a nose dive, and when I was pregnant with our second child, I was unable to work. We applied for a modification and the service was great with GMAC. The representative that helped us throughout the whole process was amazing. They were able to help us on our mortgage and walked us through everything we needed to know. I was very happy with GMAC, and then was notified that our mortgage was sold to another company.
I think GMAC has gotten much better in the past few years, they seem to want to help more and the customer service is much better.

Customer Service
The service was amazing, we had one person help us throughout our mortgage modification and she was always willing to help and answer all of our questions. I liked the individual attention that she gave us and knowing we had someone to call if we had any concerns.

GMAC is sleazy!

My second mortgage was sold to GMAC several years ago, and I had nothing but problems with these guys.  Because I was not upside in my loans, I used extra cash to pay down the principal each month on this loan.  Regardless of whether or not I used their online payment system (which lets you specify how to apply the extra payment) or I sent a check with that breakdown clearly stated in the check memo, GMAC *always* applied my extra payment towards future interest.  Each month I had to call and argue with one of their so-called customer service reps to have the payment adjusted so that my extra payment benefited ME rather than GMAC.  After each call, they would tell me that they could never guarantee that payments would be applied in the manner I requested, and that I should contact them each month to ensure it was done correctly.  That is totally absurd.  These people are simply hoping that you are not paying attention, because they always told me that I was "lucky" that I called because they won't adjust improperly applied payments after three months.  I never paid this loan late, always paid extra, and was a very low risk borrower.  Yet GMAC still felt the need to try and steal from me each and every month.  I would never do business with this sleazy operation again.

GMAC mortgage Good

from Delray Beach, FL

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

I used GMAC Mortgage for about 15 years including a refinance while living in New York up until 5 years ago. I think they were just about the only one, literally, at the time I could get to a mortgage from for a Co-op apartment in New York. They had a wonderful interest rate and I never had a problem with them. Later when I refinanced I received an even lower percentage rate and again, no problems. The only difficulties I ever experienced was when I first began using the computer to look at the account as I kept messing up the passwords. I found GMAC Mortgage always to be helpful on the phone.

Customer Service
I really cannot say anything bad. The customer service I experienced was absolutely fine. They always asked the appropriate questions to make sure they were speaking to the correct individual as well as being polite.

Types/Options
Not many in the options area but then I was very lucky I was able to get the Co-Op mortgage to begin with.

• Types/Options:

I liked GMAC, but they sold our mortgage.

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Terrible stay away

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

Avoid at all costs. Absolute worst customer service ever! No questions are ever answered.

Customer Service
They transfer you back and forth and no one answers questions. One person says one thing and the next person says the exact opposite.

• Types/Options:

Plan to call/mail/email multiple times to get anything corrected

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

GMAC makes mistakes with home owner insurance payments and escrow account management. Mortgage statements are clear and easy to understand.

Customer Service
Call center for GMAC is based in Manila. Customer service reps are nice, but you have to call multiple times to get anything done on your account or corrected. The do not call back even if they say they will. This has happened on multiple occasions. They will not connect you with a supervisor and dont expect a call back. Best advice - mail in correspondence, call and use emai via website to get anything corrected.

• Types/Options:

Incredibly difficult to deal with.

from Chippewa Falls, WI

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

I reccomend making sure that this is the ONLY company that would consider you for a loan, and if you needed to go with them, attempt to refinance with a different company soon after your start with GMAC. I had a terrible time with costomer service having no idea what I was talking about.
I got the runaround, and in the end, because I coud not get issues even listened to, it cost me much money.

• Types/Options:

GMAC are a rip off company

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

Don't use this company unless you want to get screwed cause they will screw you..They wont help you..they lie they are rude..They don't care about the customers at all..I refinanced our home and they was suppose to drop my payment well it did only a 100.00 but my interest rate went from 6% to 4% and when I asked them about the payment they got rude and said be lucky we was willing to refinance you..then they take on lawyer fees and court fees on my loan balance and they still wont tell me why my payment didnt drop more..would not recommend this company to anyone not even my worst enemy

its terrible

GMAC is sleazy!

from Berkeley, CA

Worst company ever

from Clearwater, FL

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

If I could give -5 stars I would. I have consistantly made payments ontime for 6 years. Now they are claiming that I don't have enough flood insurance. I have always carried flood insurance, but now they want me to insure the house for more than it is worth and far more than the amount of the loan. THIS POLICY IS JUST ANOTHER WAY TO GET MORE MONEY AND MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!!!

I hate GMAC Mortgage

from Saint Leonard, MD

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

Do not use this company if you can avoid it. I would recommend a local bank or Credit Union.

I had storm damage from Hurricane Irene on August 28, 2011. After weeks of trial with the Insurance company (State Farm), I finally received my first check from them on Oct. 21, 2011. I endorsed the check (as instructed by GMAC) and sent it to them with ALL of the requested data on Oct. 24. They received it on Oct. 25, 2011, and promptly deposited it in THEIR account.

I have spent the next 2 weeks trying to get them to send me money to pay my contractors for repairs to my house. I have had to borrow money to get MY house repaired and am still waiting for the first dollar of the insurance money to be returned to me (14 days and counting).

While they hide behind their process and delay I must pay my bills or suffer the dreaded Credit Score hit.

from Bayville, NJ

Comments about GMAC Mortgage:

They're pretty expsensive compared to some other mortgage companies. They also have little surprises/add ons that show up in your closing costs that make you go huh? They don't have the best interest rates either - by far. We made the mistake of using them because our realtor recommended them to us and we were dumb first time home buyers. We could have gotten a better interest rate with less points and much lower closing costs if we used somebody else. Their customer service is alright though. They do have friendly and helpful people to answer any questions you might have. The cost of their service might not be worth their good customer service to you. It really isn't to me.