2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

Lowest Insurance but Without the Green Lizard

**Check your rate**, multiple discounts even for having a product relationship just like a GM car, finance relationship or a chargecard. You will BE surprised... ***Worth the telephone call***...Make the call   sound familiar?  *It WILL NOT show up in an Internet search*... I had a ***Jaw dropping*** experience.  Your Car and Home owners discounts will Add UP and ***Lower*** your expenses DESPITE how long you have been with a particular company.

Very inconsistent and poor customer service

I recently bought a new car and had been using GMAC Insurance on my old vehicle for about a year.  The first mistake that was made was actually due to an error from my Insurance agent who knew I was buying a new car, but did not cancel the policy on the old car when he established a new policy on the new car.  Needless to say you can imagine how shocked I was to see my premium when I got my bill.  When I call GMAC, they told me there was a fee involved in cancelling my old policy, which I found ridiculous.  What are you restocking, what am I returning, or more importantly.........what are you servicing anymore that requires you to charge me a fee.  In other words, you are charging me a fee to no longer use your services, STRIKE 1.  Next, when I spoke with the rep from GMAC, I asked her to tell me what the single policy on only my new car was going to be. Four to five days later I got my billing notice, and once again it was pricey and not the qoute that was given to me by the GMAC agent.  So I called GMAC again, new rep told me they do not honor quotes, and that there is a charge to originate a new policy.........which the previous rep did not notify me about during my first telecon w/GMAC.  STRIKE 2.  Lastly, when I tried to cancell my policy guess what.............they wanted another cancellation fee. STRIKE 3!!!

Terrible Insurance

from Los Angeles Ca

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

I would have liked to give them "0" stars because this company truly sucks! I had been insured with them since I started driving at the age of 16. 20 years later I was involved in a head on collision because the other driver who happened to be unlicensed was driving on the wrong side of the street! My car was totaled and I was badly injured! I was smart enough to get a police report on scene which clearly indicated that the other driver was 100% at fault! I contacted GMAC to report the MVA and they immediately asked me several questions and sent me a form that I had to fill out immediately for them with a drawing of the accident! I complied with everything I was asked to do and at the end instead of defending me they sided with the unlicensed uninsured driver and reimbursed the unlicensed driver for his injuries and compensation for his vehicle damage instead of me and they raised my rates! I hired an attorney and finally after 1 year he was able to get GMAC to cough up some pennies for my personal damages! They truly SUCK as an insurance company because they don't know what they're doing! My attorney convinced me to switch out of GMAC car insurance because of their lack of ethics! I think that was the BEST thing I could have done for myself and my family!!!!

Go elsewhere for insurance

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

I was rear ended while out of state on Father's Day. I notified this company. I wasn't making a claim just notifying them just in case the other person changed their mind about paying to fix my car. This company responded by denying my non claim, raising my premium by 40%, dropping my collision coverage and saying they will not renew my coverage. How pathetic. Like the commercial says "why am I still with national general"

Customer Service
Making a complaint shouldn't be an inquisition to notifying the company.

I do not recommend

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

My fiancé & I had Gmac insurance last summer. We had his truck & our boat insured through them. Our boat had up to $1,500 in towing covered under our plan. Which we thought was great until we were stranded in the middle of the lake with our boat unable to start. We called Gmac to use our towing & after being transferred a bunch of times we were told that they could send someone out to tow us but we would have to pay cash up front for the towing & that we would not be reimbursed by them. Mind you, the estimated cost was $750. I don't know who has that kind of money out on a boat but it sure wasn't us. Thankfully strangers with a boat passing towed us inland & we immediately cancelled Gmac insurance after that. Not happy with them nor would I recommend them for any coverage!!

Customer Service
They did not give us the coverage that we were paying for!!

Available Plans
They have all kinds of plans but when you go for help or a claim, they don't hold up to their end!

treated me better than Allstate

from Warren, MI

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

I had GMAC for 2 years. I switched to them when Allstate wanted to charge me $2300 a year for a new Chevy Aveo I was in the process of buying. Before I finalized the sale of the car I shopped around for a better rate and GMAC offered me what I was looking for. In part because I was buying a GM car and I had a GM sponsored credit card.So I switched insurance and bought the car. The insurance started at $1300 per year but within 2 years it jumped to $1600 so I shopped around and switched again. Customer service was friendly but they couldn't help me with my rapid rate increase problem. They said it was primarily state fees (which is true) and my zip code.Its really easy to switch so I did.

Customer Service
Though very friendly as stated above they could not help me with my rate increase problem probably more because of policy but I have not had that issue with my current provider.

Available Plans
They had a lot of choices when I was there but I went with the limit that my creditor wanted.

• Available Plans:

GMAC used to save me money on my car insurance.

from Palm Harbor, FL

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

I changed to GMAC several years ago and always received the lowest premium around and they kept the same rate for 12 months. However, for the last year or so they keep raising my rate every 6 months. I have not purchase a new car, moved, made a claim and have decreased the number of miles I drive per year. I have Onstar which is supposed to give me a 50% reduction in the premium due to my very low annual mileage that last 12 months. But when I received the invoice, once again the rate had gone up. I will be calling them to discuss this issue AND I will be checking out other insurance companies. Maybe their rate will still be the lowest for me, but somehow I doubt it.
2/13/2013 UPDATE -- I check three other companies after I wrote this review and GMAC was still offered the lowest price coverage.
5/18/2013 UPDATE -- I just changed to another company and was able to save almost $200 on my car by putting both cars on the same policy and paying for one-year in advance. This also keeps my price per year firm. Can't be changed in six months.

Available Plans
I had rated this a good until I was able to put both cars on the same policy from another company. I had requested GMAC to do this, but I was told there would be no savings. So I changed my rating to very poor to reflect this.

Tacky Service

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

I have been with GMAC Insurance for around 2-3 years and I had a claim that was not my fault. On the last day of my rental I called to extend the rental due to the fact my car was ready but I had nothing to pay the body shop with. I was then told that it was my problem(basically) and they would not pay for a rental any longer and I have "towing & rental" on my policy. I was then hung up on and yelled at by the manager. I feel as though I will not be continuing services with them any longer because I pay to much to be treated this way when i was not at fault for any of the damages done to my vehicle.

Customer Service
They get loud with you and try to speak to you as thoughyou are there child, & im not.

Great company

from Falls Church, VA

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

It is a very good company to do business with. I have been a customer for 10 years and is very satisfied with them. I purchased my policy online in less than 5 minutes. Their rate is very competitive too. I have never had a problem with them. I contact them when I need only.

• Available Plans:

Worse customer service in the world.

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

They have charged me for home and hazard insurance by mistake on my loan even though I provided evidence of insurance at least 5 times. They charged 1600$ for a policy that cost 675$ per year. Later I had extreamly difficault time to get refund...still in process a year later. Don't use thier service even for free!!!

• Available Plans:

GMAC Insurance sucks. They say the bank rejected payment. Pooh!

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

They cancel you for the wrong reasons. We changed our bank account (we had auto payments) and notified them, GMAC said the bank rejected our payment, so they canceled us. According to our new bank and our old bank they did NOT even try to submit a payment. They have very poor customer service. Go elsewhere for your insurance, I wouldn't trust them.

• Available Plans:

Confusing policies combined with "Poor" customer service.

Comments about GMAC Insurance:

GMAC changed my policy 4 times in the course of one year without my knowledge or consent. When asked about it , the customer service representative could not explain and tried to blame it on me. They also failed to notify Dept. of Motor Vehicles that I was insured with them, for over a year, and I didn't know my registrations on three of my vehicles had been suspended until I just this week recieved my renewal notice from DMV that stated my registration has been suspended for over a year. I spoke with DMV and they told me if I had been pulled over my vehicles would have been towed and impounded!. GMAC had nothing to say about this either. They collected my payments for over a year!
I went to GMAC because they were affiliated with Good Sam. What a mistake! I will also be contacting Good Sam to complain. They too may lose my business after this fiasco! I don't know yet what the total cost to me will be to reinstate the registrations on my 3 vehicles but I know it will be in the hundreds of dollars! I am pretty pissed at GMAC and warn you all to AVOID GMAC like the plauge!
I went back to AMICA insurance company which is friendly, curteous, helpful and the policies are always correct.

Customer Service
The customer Services Reps do not present themselves as knowledgable, friendly or helpful. Quite the opposite. I hated to even talk to them because I knew I would not recieve a proper answer to my inquiries.

Available Plans
Policies are not well defined or explained and may be changed at the whim of GMAC without your knowledge.