Other Microwave Ovens:

GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven

Pros

Cons

• Settings/Features:

A great microwave for the price!

I have owned this GE microwave for about two years and have been extemely happy with the product.  We are a family of two and are usually on the go...we use a microwave a whole lot cooking the majority of our dinners and reheating meals.  This microwave does a great job of evenly heating food.  The turntable in the microwave ensures that the food is cooked more evenly.  There are lots of cooking options and defrost options which are a wonderful plus with a busy schedule.  The only problem we have had is that this microwave seems to not heat as quickly if it has been used for several minutes.  This is not a huge issue, we found we just need to add to the cooking time if heating back to back microwave dinners. The interior of the microwave is a good size, I have not had any problems with not being able to fit plates and bowls in this microwave.  I would have liked to see more color choices, we ended up with a white which would not have been my first pick.  But, for the price, I cannot complain.  This microwave is a great value for the price and has been extemely dependable.

WAY TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO SUMMARIZE IN ONE SENTENCE

My JVM1540LPCS (Clean Steel surface with a black handle) was discontinued. It was made somewhere in the South Pacific whereas the matching GE Clean Steel Fridge and matching GE Clean Steel range were made in Mexico. No problems with the lower-end GE appliances made in Mexico but the microwave is a piece of junk. Glad I didn't throw money out on an extended warranty for this because when it completely fails I will upgrade to a Profile or another brand. The good thing is that I got this cheap because it was being discontinued (unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase) and it perfectly matched my other two major appliances. The smoky plastic cover over the control panel is warped, reflects light so it's hard to see the panel selections, and is too dark to see through it. The turntable tray lost one of its 3 wheels after only 3 months of use. I can't use the metal rack that came with the microwave because it makes it too high up to reach into the microwave when standing at the range. The two light selections under the microwave to use over the stovetop are both too dim to help. They are more like nightlights rather than work lights. The fan is too loud to have on when standing below the microwave at the range. I can't in good conscience recommend this flimsy microwave not because it is an economy purchase, but because it is horrible. My other GE economy appliances are doing fine but this microwave is nearly scrap yard junk.

Works like a microwave should except that the turntable tray is not sturdy enough to hold the allowed capacity dishes on the heavy glass turntable and wheels break easily. The smoky plastic cover over the control panel makes it hard to see the selections. The plastic cover is dark to see through plus it is warping from so much finger imprints. My daughter's GE Profile has the better glass cover for her control panel and she has more selections than my piece of junk.

Settings/Features
Again the smoky plastic cover over the control panel is cheap looking, warped after 2 years of use, reflects light from the window, and I'm afraid it will eventually wear holes through the cheesy plastic cover. This GE model doesn't have the broad selections of the hard glass-covered GE Profile control panel. The fan has two speed selections and both are way too noisy to use when I'm standing at the range doing other cooking.

The glass turntable is very heavy to lift out of the over-the-range microwave when it needs a thorough scrubbing. If I don't have to remove the turntable a sponge or wet wipe will clean the inside walls and turntable just fine.

Not easy to use because of the aforementioned problems with the cheap smoky plastic control panel cover. Because we microwave a lot of popcorn all we have to do is look for the worn out area on the smoky plastic to know where the popcorn control is. Because the wattage is higher on this over-the-range microwave I have to select much lower settings to not ruin the food. IMHO I think 1000 or more watts is not necessary for microwave cooking but that's because most of my cooking doesn't require high flash settings. I have to be mindful that a 2-second misjudgment can turn my soft rolls into dried bricks.

The smoky plastic control panel cover is warped after 2 years of use, it highly reflects light making it sometimes hard to see the control selections, the dark plastic cover also makes it hard to see the control panel in general, the turntable tray isn't sturdy enough to accommodate the heavy glass turntable with added dish weights, and the metal rack is not useable when it makes it too high for me to reach up to the second level of the microwave to remove hot dishes.

The control panel is a complete dud for me because of the aforementioned reasons. The junky undersized turntable tray under the heavy glass turntable can't accommodate the glass turntable with the added weight of casseroles, etc. on top of it. Can't understand why GE keeps making cheesy plastic covers over some of their control panels and can't understand why GE doesn't accommodate for a sturdier turntable tray for the larger capacity microwave models. The tray is almost as small as a 1 cf turntable tray in our smaller tabletop Sharp microwave.

A Space Saver But Needs Constant Cleaning

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

I have owned a number of regular microwave ovens but when I had the chance to upgrade to a mounted version I jumped on it. I like the lay out of the buttons and that they are flat but getting it in white was a mistake. Every piece of dust, dirt and lint shows on it and because it is mounted right over the range I get a lot of splashes from grease, sauce and when I fry bacon. The digital timer read out is a little on the small side but I got used to it.

One of the things that I don't like is the exhaust; there's no outside exhaust hook-up on it. The microwave that was mounted over the range would work even when the door was partially open so I unplugged it; there was a port already in the wall for that one but this one didn't match up in the same spot so the exhaust is pretty much useless as it just pulls the air up, through the filter and back into the room. It does nothing to get rid of strong odors or when you burn something.

If I had it to do over I would have gotten this in the all black version or the chrome and black color combination. I clean this almost every day because the dirt on it grates my last nerve. Some of the perks of it include an "add 30" button that allows you to add thirty seconds to the timer while it is on, a defrost feature that allows you to thaw things based on their weight, a light and quick-cook buttons for things like popcorn and to reheat cooked items that only need a minimal amount of time.

This was easy to install and my brother had it up and running in about ten minutes; it is anchored to the wall securely and there's no vibration when it is being used. There is an option to turn the sound off of it so if you don't like hearing it giving you alerts when the timer goes off you can turn it off. For the price this was worth getting but if you do a lot of stove top cooking consider getting this in black or the black and chrome combination.

I regret getting it in white because it needs constant cleaning.

• Settings/Features:

A large, user friendly microwave.

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

A few of the auto cook features are slightly inaccurate but the product seems sturdy and hasn't needed any repairs so far.

The microwave preforms well, cooking everything thoroughly.

Extremely easy to clean. All surfaces are durable and can be cleaned roughly without danger of damaging them.

Just the right size

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

I have had several Space Make Products. I have loved them all. They are easy to install and do not take up my counter space. Like a lot of people I have never really had an apartment or house that had as much counter space as I would like. I do not like my counters messy or cluttered so the Space Maker is perfect for my needs. It is small though so do not get it if you are one that likes to use a microwave to prepare large casseroles, meats or dinners. For heat ups, frozen meals and small dishes it is just right. It is very easy to use. Most microwaves are and most people have used one by now so that should not be an issues for anyone. It is easy to clean just wipe it down after you use it. I cover everything i put in it so that keeps the clean up to a minimum.

Just right for frozen foods, defrosting and warm ups

Settings/Features
It has all the setting you should need for this size of microwave.

Easy to clean just cover your food and wipe it down after using. just take a few second.

Easy to use..

I have had very good luck with my Space Maker products. Time will tell on this one.

The design is what i like best. It is small and fits under the counter.

Love it

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

I am forever using my microwave for something! From melting butter because its quicker and easier than melting on the stove, to making poached eggs the microwave is often my go to machine. I went out shopping after my last one died and found this one and love it! It is just compact enough to fit in a little cut out above my shelves so it does not take up counter space and it works like a charm! I can melt butter in it quicker than in my old microwave and can even cook raw pumpkin in it! I absolutely adore this microwave and if it ever dies, I will go out and buy the exact same model! The GE space maker microwave oven is perfect for my household and I would recommend this to anyone I know! GE really hit a home run with this microwave oven!

It doesn't make food rubbery but it does heat things fully and evenly!

Settings/Features
Very easy to use even my kids have no problem turning it on and heating up their oatmeal or to warm up their milk.

Easy to clean just swipe a cloth in it. The outside doesn't get fingerprints on it easily either, which makes it really handy.

very simple to use and understand the functions of it. GE made this consumer friendly to use!

It seems pretty durable so far and I look forward to it for years to come.

I love that it fits in small spaces but gives the same quality as a bigger microwave oven.

• Settings/Features:

This product would not be a waste of my time if it was cheaper.

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

it was ok with the performance and the ease of cleaning, but it was overall bland for my taste.

It was ok.

Settings/Features
The settings was easy to use but overall just not necessary.

it was very easy to clean.

The durability of this microwave is easily used for another 10 years because I have no incoherent use for it.

Great !

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

Great microwave. I've had it for a year and no problems at all! I love all the settings and functions that come on it. I always use the soften button for butter and cream cheese. It is also easy to clean in just a short time. I would totally recommend this microwave to someone looking for a microwave.

Great Microwave

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

I am very happy with this brand and model. I use it a lot and it heats things up as it should. I have never had a problem with it. I like the way it looks. The stainless steel finish looks very nice.

It always performs how I expect it to. Like I already said, I have never had a problem heating or making anything. Everything is always cooked or heated as I would expect it to be.

Settings/Features
I do not really use many features. I kind of just put my food in and hit the number of minutes I think it will need and that is fine with me.

The rack and circle tray inside both come out and are very easy to clean. Once those items are removed, its very easy to clean the inside.

It is very easy to use. Its all self explanatory.

I have owned it more then 5 years and I use it a lot. I heat up and make a lot in the microwave and it has not failed me yet.

It is a good size and fits great in a space in my cabinets. I really like the stainless steel finish.

Love this unit!

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

This unit is great compared to others I've owned. I like the stainless steel durability and the different buttons for functions. As a stay at home mom, one can be very busy at times and the defrost option on this works magic when I forget to put the meat out of the fridge.

My one concern is u feel it overheats s bit but I'm used to that reaction from amicrowave.

Settings/Features
This unit heats but doesn't char nor dry the food. I love to reheat items without damaging the flavor and texture and this does it.

Sponge and go. This is great as long as you keep up with it. I can see user disagreements here if they let old food cook after multiple uses.

I wish I could put it over the range. I have no space and it does take space on the counter in a small kitchen.

Microwaves Food Quickly

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

This microwave cooks food quickly. I have never been able to get food crispy in the crisping sleeves before using this product. There are several one touch options and cooking recommendations on the microwave which makes cooking and thawing easy. The microwave is also very easy to clean. Often with other microwaves food is very stuck on, however, with this microwave all you need is some spray cleaner and a paper towel. I would recommend this microwave to anyone. It works great and is easy to clean. Scrambled eggs and baked potatoes come out great in this microwave! I would get this product again and I enjoy using it on a daily basis.

• Settings/Features:

Great microwave for the price!

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about GE Spacemaker Microwave Oven:

Though I only use the microwave for small things like melting butter or popping popcorn or reheating leftovers, I have been pleased with this product. Things heat up quickly and evenly and it is very easy to use! Perfect for the price.

This microwave heats food up quickly!

It's very easy to take the spinning table out and put it back in for cleaning purposes.

I love that this microwave doesn't require you to pull out the owner's manual every time you use it!

Have only had this a year and a half but so far, so good!

I love it's sleek and clean design.