4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Moderize Your Kitchen With the GE Electric Range Model JBS55

I pulled a quick one on my husband when we bought a new refrigerator.  I chose a black model and used this to angle to get away with adding a new kitchen range with a ceramic top to the bill.  I had already decided that when my range needed replacing, that I would go with a ceramic top model.  They look nice, neat and modern!  We browsed the store while waiting on our receipt and noticed that the range was on sale.  This was the icing on the cake as far as I was concerned and sweet talked my hubby into getting it.  The range I fell in love with was the **GE Electric Kitchen Range Model No. JBS55.** **GE Electric Kitchen Range Model JBS55 **This is a very nice and modern looking range at a very moderate price. I chose the black color to match my refrigerator and it looks awesome. The range has a ceramic top with 4 radiant burners, 2 large ones and 2 small ones. The oven is large with plenty of room to cook a Thanksgiving turkey or multiple dishes. Under the oven is a pull out drawer where you can store pots, pans or other items. **Features and Specs**The controls on the **GE Electric Kitchen Range Model No. JBS55 **are pretty easy to adjust to getting used to. The oven has on/off control that goes immediately to the preheat stage. The oven comes on at 350 degrees-the average temperature for baking.  If you want a higher or lower temperature, you need to change it immediately. The broiler has two settings, and you can choose either the Hi or Low setting. There is no in between factor here, which may be a "con" for some people.

Burner controls are nice and go from numbers 1 to 9 with a Lo before the number 1 and a high after the number 9 for self explanation.  It is very easy to adjust the temperature with so many settings. You will also find a normal timer control on the range that can be adjusted by simply pressing the control until it gets to the number of minutes you desire. The timer has a plus side and a negative side to go up or down with the time setting. The feature I like best is the *Hot Surface *red light.  This red light will stay on until the surface of the range cools down.  This red light  is easily seen and helps anyone walking up to the range to avoid getting burned by touching a hot surface. This model comes with a one year  warranty. **Cooking on the Ceramic Top**I have really enjoyed cooking on my range. A nice surprise that I found was that our new house has this exact same kitchen range in it.  However, it is white in color.  I'll have a retro classic modern kitchen with black and white appliances.

It is recommended that you use stainless steel and heavy aluminum pots on the surface of this range. It can be easily scratched so you will want to put away your cast iron skillets.  I do miss my iron skillet but don't mind the trade-off!   Glass, stoneware and ceramic pots are usable but not recommended for the best performance on this cook top.  Copper bottom cookware is also not advised because it can leave residue on the surface. **Cleanup**Cleaning the surface of this range has been a total pleasure. It is very easy to maintain and I love the fact that it doesn't have hiding places like a normal electric range would have where food can fall under the burners and cooktop. All I have to do is wipe the surface with a damp sponge after each use. If a better cleaning is needed to remove grease for instance, the manufacturer recommends a product called Cerama Bryte. This will keep your surface shiny and sparkling.  I find using a glass cleaner after soap and water also does the trick at a much cheaper cost, but the Cerama Bryte will cover any scratches where the glass cleaner will not.

The one con to this model is that it does not have a self cleaning oven feature.  From past experience, I have found that this option does not work 100% anyway, so not a big deal to me.**Recommendation **I love the **GE Electric Range, Model JBS55**.  It looks nice in my kitchen and I love cooking on it.  It cleans up easily too-except for the oven.  Overall, a B++.

Hard to keep clean

I inherited this range when we bought our new house.  This thing looks great before you actually cook on it.  Once that first meal is cooked it gets increasingly hard to keep clean.  I love that it has the warming burner in the center but find that it is rather useless if you are using a large pot on any of the other burners.  I love the convection oven feature that allows everything to bake a little more quickly and evenly.  I also love that the oven is so roomy compared to my old one.  I hate the amount of time that it takes for the range to cool off so that you can clean it.  I also hate that it stays so hot after you shut it off.  My oldest daughter and I have actually burned ourselves as we are cleaning up after dinner just because it stayed so hot.  Although I have to admit I hands down prefer a gas range anyway, I have a terrible time cooking anything on this one that doesn't end up burnt.

Not much to complain about

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

Overall this is a really great product. I'm not a huge fan of the stove top, but the oven is great, and everything works just great. I haven't had any problems, and no one has had to come repair it at all.

Temperature Control
We have had this for years and the oven has never seemed to have any problems with temperature control. It seems to always be at the right temperature, so we don't have to compensate at all.
The ranges - those are another story. Maybe I just don't understand it, but they go on and off a lot, so it takes quite awhile to heat things up

Heat Distribution
Oven is good. No problems so far with cooking only one side, or anything like that.

The ranges - I have issues with a lot of the time having it heat correctly and evenly. I have to make sure the pan is in a certain area to cook things.

Well, I'll be honest I'm not sure what year we bought it, but it has been quite a few years and it is holding up well.

It has a really nice, clean look. I love the black, and while the stove top can irritate me while cooking, It looks nice when all wiped down and cleaned up.

Really easy to clean. Nothing to clean under on the stovetop, just wipe it off.

The oven has a self cleaner which is great, and super easy to use.

• Heat Distribution:

THE BEST STOVE OUT THERE, HANDS DOWN!!

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

I simply cannot give enough positive feedback about our GE Freestanding Electric Range, which came in black, and matched the rest of our kitchen appliances when we bought a house back in 1997 in Lafayette, Louisiana. Now, besides the updated, sleek black look that it brought to the house, cooking on it and in it was fantastic; I'll even go as far as to say it was fun! And clean-ups were a snap! I have never spent so little time int he kitchen cleaning up after meals. If something werer to spill on the flat top range, you simply waited for it to dry, and then wiped it up with a little degreaser. If it were a really bad mess, just turn on the burner, and wait for the spill to burn itself into a little pile of ash, then wipe clean with some flat-top range cleaner (looks kind of like shoe polish).

The design of this flat-top range stove is simply beautiful. The sleek, black look goes perfectly in our kitchen with our other black appliances.

• Heat Distribution:

Works well and heats consistently

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

My freestanding electric range was a good purchase. I have used it multiple times daily for almost a year and have not had one single issue with it. The heating coils heat very consistently and evenly. The numbers on the dials are cry consistent with the heat temperature of most other ranges I have used. It's oven is very spacious and easily fits a full size turkey and casserole dish. The bottom area where broilers usually were placed is a nice and very large drawer for storage. I can fit three large casserole dishes, two pie dishes, a large cookie sheet and there is plenty of room for other pots and pans. I have no complaints about this purchase. It wipes clean with minimal effort, only issue is since it is black everything shows on it so I wipe it thoroughly after every use.

Temperature Control
It is very easy to decide which number on the knob is needed to achieve desired heat.

Heat Distribution
The heat distribution is very even.

It is used multiple times daily for almost a year and have had not one issue. It has proven to be quite a durable range.

The sizes of the burners (small and large) are 'aged out so that the two large burners do not take up the same space. It is very well designed.

It is very easy to clean, however the black shows everything so it is not easy to keep clean.

Great stove

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

Moved into a rental last year with this stove. So far, so good.

Temperature Control
This is the first range I've had that has all of the ''bells and whistles''. Easy to control the temperature, as there is several options to choose from.

Heat Distribution
It heats up evenly with the stove top and the oven. Setting anything in the center of the oven will bake evenly and have never had an issue with one part of the oven being hotter than another. The oven racks have several levels to set the rack at to help with heating options, too.

My only issue with this product is the stove top is not flat. It's the older style that has raised burners. Other than that, the design is pretty flawless. The buttons are flush with the stove with small bumps to make pushing them easier, but are not raised up where they can break off. The bottom of the unit has a deep pull out drawer for storage.

With the burners being raised, rather than flat, cleaning underneath them is not simple. However, the burners come out fairly easily to remove and clean.

Love it!

from Pearland, TX

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

I always trust GE brand products and this GE Freestanding Electric Range is one of the many GE products we have at home. The house that I am living in now had the old cheap range so I went and bought this range. I got it in black and it fits perfectly in my kitchen. The heat distribution is great too. Everything gets heated up super fast and evenly. If you use small pots, you can put it on the warmer in the middle of the range to warm up your food while you cook other dishes. This range have a ceramic top which I also like. Most of my previous ranges don't have ceramic tops but this one does. The only bad thing is the self cleaner. I found it useless and it does not clean that well. I usually clean it myself to save time. Overall, this GE Freestanding Electric Range is not bad and it does its job right. It is fairly inexpensive and you can usually find great deals on it too. I would recommend this range to any one.

A great stove!

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

We just got rid of our old electric coil stove from the 80's and bought this one from Home Depo a few months ago. I love the fact that it heats evenly unlike our old one. Also, it has adjustable legs so you can make sure it's level.
One of the things we don't like about it is that you can't set the oven on a timer for a delayed cook. As in we would love to have our food begin cooking before we get home from church on Sunday, but there does not appear to be a function for that. Overall, we are pretty satisfied with it.

Temperature Control
I am glad all the dials for the range are on the back instead of at the front above the oven door. We have a toddler and it makes it much safer to keep them out of her reach. Oven temp control is fantastic, you just set it and it stays at the perfect temperature. However, the oven takes much longer to preheat than our 80's model ever did.

Heat Distribution
Very satisfied with heat distribution on the plates of the range.

We have not had this range long, so I do not know how long it will actually last. Seems stable enough.

No complaints.

I don't have to soak my burners anymore! Yay!

• Heat Distribution:

This is a durable and reliable oven!

from Mc Calla, AL

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

I love the ceramic glass cooktop!

Temperature Control
This range does as good a job as any electric range at temperature control.

Heat Distribution
Heat distribution is very good on both the stovetop and the oven.

We have had this stove for about 6 years and it has had no problems at all.

I love the stainless steel design that goes with the rest of my appliances.

The ceramic glass cooktop makes cleaning the stovetop a breeze! And with the self-cleaning oven feature, the cleaning the oven is a cinch as well.

great oven

from Roscommon, MI

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

I just got this oven this week and it totally nice. got a pretty good deal on it too. middle of the road oven with a middle of the road price. the ge 30 inch oven has a nice size pull out drawer under the oven. the oven itself is pretty large, the oven I have does not have the bottom coil showing, that is a really nice feature for cleaning. which this one has a self cleaning mode, which I have not used yet. one of the things I really like about the range top is that it is a glass top which is really nice if something boils over it is a lot easier to clean up! and one burner is two burners in one- with a switch of a button choose either a small burner or large. user friendly, easy to learn how to use. has an automatic start oven feature, so set you oven, put in your food and the oven will start by itself. it has a larger window for the oven door and of course an oven light. I would recommend this product to a friend.

GE 30 inch Free- standing Electric Range/Oven #JB400DP1BB in Blk

from Cedar Falls, IA

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

I am going to start off with the only negative thing I have to say about my GE 30 inch Free-standing Electric Range/Oven #JB400DP1BB in Black is the self cleaning part; it really really sucks! It does not self clean well at all! I had to go in and just clean it all out myself when it was all over and done with. If there is burnt on mess, that must be scrubbed out immediately or you are going to have a real mess on your hands, and it is no fun to scrub srcub srub up later on. It did take quite a bit of arm power too. Now other than that...my GE 30 inch Free standing Electric Rsnge/Oven is awesome, this is my very first electric oven and I must say that the temperature is very acurate! The GE 30 inch Free standing Range/Oven fits in my newly renovated kitchen absolutely wonderfully and the black color is very slick and clean looking, although I do stay on top of it cleaning wise. The price was ok but well worth it, this oven works wonders and I am always looking for things too cook in it or on it.

I have not been able to get burn food off the bottom..

NO oven controls!

from cincinnati, OH

Comments about GE Freestanding Electric Range:

this is the worst oven I've ever been in possesion of.
it wasn't my idea to get it but I have to live with it.

my biggest gripe...NO oven control. you have to set the temp with a button every time you use it. it's always set at 350 and you have to adjust it from there by pushing a button that doesn't like to actually work all the time. so you have to push it like the incredible hulk to make it work.

then there's the little chirp of a timer. you have to be standing within 6 feet of the thing to hear it. and there is NO volume control for it.

I would never ever recommend this thing to anyone. except someone I don't like.