View more dehumidifiers

Frigidaire Pint Dehumidifier

Frigidaire Dehumidifier FDF70S1 is a must for basements

from Cranston, RI

Comments about Frigidaire Pint Dehumidifier:

Being a new homeowner, my husband and I were unsure of what to expect from our new home. We loved the space, and we loved the fact that it had a finished basement, with carpeted rooms. A few weeks after enjoying our humble abode, we discovered the carpets downstairs would be damp after a heavy rainfall. Alarmed, we purchased a Frigidaire dehumidifer, deciding that model FDF70S1 would best fit our needs. Living in a bungalow, the basement was approximately 1,000 square feet and the 70 pint bucket of the dehumidifier best fit our needs. It was easy to use and started up with the touch of one button. It sounded like a fan and a slight breeze blew out from its side, but since we were upstairs all the time, the noise did not bother us. We kept the dehumidifer chugging alone for over 2 weeks straight and there was so much moisture trapped in the basement, we had to empty out the bucket nearly every day during that first week and a half! After the second week, we noticed the carpets were no longer damp and now we run the dehumidifier after a heavy rainfall.

Very powerful unit dried out a hopeless basement

from Stamford, CT

Comments about Frigidaire Pint Dehumidifier:

After enduring rains that flooded my sump-pumpless basement for the umpteenth time, I decided to purchase my first de-humidifier, and I wanted a workhorse. I did a lot of research, and settled on this big Frigidaire, with a fair amount of confidence, which has paid off.  The unit did precisely what I'd hoped for--within a week it had brought the humidity level in the basement from almost 100% down to a consistent 45% during the awful October we had in the Northeast. That first week it ran continuously, cycling on and off, and I had to empty the collection unit morning and evening, but I finally had a dry basement, and the damp, mildewy smell disappeared. The unit has a convenient feature that allows it to empty directly into a sump pump, which I can't take advantage of.

The collection unit is a little difficult to remove--you need to squeeze the sides a bit to slide it out, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.  It has a carrying handle that seems moderately sturdy, and it's easy to empty. The controls are fairly intuitive, and the filter is easy to remove and clean. It's about as noisy as the furnace, and so powerful that it needs a decent amount of room around it to vent the air while it's operating, but it slides easily on its attached wheels if you need to reposition it.

What was shocking, however, was how expensive it is to run! But never having had a dehumidifier before, and having an entirely flooded basement with everything in it needing to be dried out as well, I have no way to make a fair comparison, so I'll have to keep an eye on next summer's electric bill when the unit will be working hard once again.