Other Dog Foods:
Canned Dog Food
Freshpet
Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls

Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls

Pros

• Dog likes it (5)
  • Nutritional (3)
  • Tasty (3)

Cons

• Pricey / poor value (3)

• Active dogs (3)
  • Older dogs (3)
  • Smaller dogs (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (6)

No more Allergies, no more picky eaters!

I came across Freshpet last year during their Bark For the Cure event. As an amatuer canine nutritionist with 3 rescued dogs, each of whom has major allergies and is a very, very picky eater, I thought why not?

I'm so glad I tried it! My grain sensitive allergy prone Cocker Spaniel (9 years old) has been plagued by skin and ear issues since we rescued her. There were endless medications, trips to the groomer, the vet, medicated drops, shampoos, topical sprays. She was miserable and so were we.

After 2 months on Fresheet, it's like she was a different dog. No more allergies, no more flaky skin and dandruff. No more ear infections, no more miserable break outs and rashes. Her health has gone from poor to thriving, and all we changed was the food. Now Sybil is medication free and back to being the playful, loving dog we adopted so many years ago.

I also have (well, had!) a very fussy eater who refused even the most tempting of foods. From professionally prepared raw diets to luscious cooked at home meals, she snubbed them all. Because of this, Faith was underweight and had poor health. We started her on Freshpet and the change was immediate! She started to dance at feeding time, dove in and even licked her bowl clean. In a few short months her coat is glossy, she is a perfect weight, has energy to spare and the gleam is back in her eyes.

My oldest girl is a retired, two time National Agility Champion, a six time Regional Agility Champion, has earned over 40 agility titles and is a former Seizure Alert Dog. Brandy always ate well, but with Freshpet she can't wait for mealtime! Her recent Vet check had the new Tech arguing that she couldn't be 11 years old! Yes, she looks that good. She is fit and trim, has a lot of lean muscle and has the energy she did as a young dog. She did well on kibble, but she is blossoming on Freshpet.

This is the ONLY food I will feed my dogs now. Yes, it is expensive but what we save in Vet bills more than makes up for it. My youngest is my Service Dog and an agility competitor. River has a shiny coat, clean teeth, tons of energy. While other Lab owners complain about dry, itchy skin and ear infections, I'm marveling at how healthy and amazing my dog looks. Then I tell them my secret. FreshPet.

FreshPet Select Dog Food made my dog SICK!!

I bought this dog food for my dog, mainly because it was on sale and I had a coupon that made it a deal too good to pass up.

My...Read complete review

My dog is not a dog that eats everything in her dish as soon as I put it down; she's a nibbler.  She eats a little bit at a time throughout the evening and night.  I put this down for my dog like I did with every other pet food I've given her.  There was no warning on the label leading me to believe it should be treated any differently, and there was nothing on their website either.

I gave my dog this food on a Friday evening, and she finished the dog food mid morning saturday as she typically does with every other food I have given her.  I noticed she became very lethargic Saturday evening, and by Monday she was ill enough that I thought she would need to be euthanized.  She had not eaten at all since Saturday and had not moved off the sofa in just as long.

I e-mailed the company to question how long I can let the food sit in her dish, because this was the only thing that I changed before she got ill.  I received word back about a week later telling me not to leave it in their dish for more than an hour.

I threw away the remaining containers of dog food I had, and began giving my dog Alpo Dog food again.  She's been fine since.

Fresh Pet makes my dogs run to their meal!

from IL

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

• Special Needs

The Great and the warning:
    Great for older dogs with minimal teeth. Great for any picky eater dog. Great for all dogs to supplement with their dry food. Read the expiration date on the log before you buy it.. If it's watery when you squeeze it pick one that is more firm and with a longer expiration date. My dogs prefer the chicken over the beef. Not sure why?

My pets LOVE this dog food

from Tampa, FL

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
    • Easy To Digest
    • Good Value
    • Nutritional
    • Tasty

• Larger Dogs
      • Puppies

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

I have two large Golden Retrievers and buying canned dog food was getting expensive. I buy the large roll and it lasts and lasts, I use a small amount to add to their dry dog food and they love it! I have to say, it looks great, it smells great. I can see the vegetables!

Great for picky eaters

from Cape Coral, Fl

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It

Cons

• Expensive

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

My dog is a very picky eater and we tried all kinds of brands and and our dog would only eat after two days of not eating, I am guessing because he was starving, we decided to try fresh pet and as soon as he smelled it he ate it like it was the most delicious food he has ever eaten. Since then he gets super excited every time it's meal time. He is more active and is healthy. The only con to this product in my opinion is the price but if spending a little more means my dog will be happy then it's worth it.

Freshpet dog food review(Freshpet Select Slice)

from Carlsbad CA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
        • Nutritional
        • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Larger Dogs

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

I feed the Freshpet Select Slice to all of my dogs. It is mixed with kibble because it would be too expensive for me to feed three large dogs this exclusively. I have a 8 year old GSD, a 19 months old Mal and a 20 months old Dutch. All are very healthy with shiny coats. The GSD is as active as the pups. Knock on wood, they have never had any health problems. It is great for my dogs.

I want this more and more

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

I loved it. My dog loved it too. I keep buying it. She keeps eating it. I buy she eats. Its a great product. Yummy stuff

Quality Down

from Peachtree City, GA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Good Value

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It
        • Quality Down

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

My dog has loved this food for the two years she's been eating it but now approaches the food with hesitation, smells it, and slowly nibbles at it where she used to gobble it up. I've noticed water leakage and the package is skinnier than it used to be, and it smells weird. We are switching.

agree with OrangeMonkey84 on quality control

from Cape Coral, Florida

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It

Cons

• Expensive

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

I also have been finding water seeping out of tube, texture is crumbly, and smell is not as pleasant as in past. Have purchased in WV and FL during past 8 mo. same problem everywhere. One dog continues to gobble down second dog not so much. Cost went up $1 in last week. Also finding a greasy film on knife used to cut food and on my hands. Sent company an email today listing changes I have observed in product. Plan to start looking for something else for my "boys" if the company does not return to their previous formula. It has to be a formula change surely I would not find these problems in every tube in two states and over 8 months if it not due to formula change.

Would not recommend

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

I had seen several advertisements for this product and I thought it would be a nice healthy change for my dog. I cut off a chunk and my dog at the whole thing within minutes, he seemed to love it. Shortly after he had eaten it he seemed tired and became sick. I know ever dog reacts differently to different dog foods, but I would not recommend this product to anyone. I know people who's dogs love this and have not reacted so it, but I had a much different experience with Freshpet Select Slice and Serve Rolls

Quality of Ingredients
        The ingredients in this seem to be very healthy, that's what attracted me to this product in the first place. If you read the ingredient list you will be able to read every ingredient, which is a good sign. Unfortunately, something in this product made my dog sick.

Flavor Selection
        In my local pet store there were several flavors of this product available (at least five different flavors).

Okay product

from TN

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

When I first saw this dog food advertised on tv I thought it was a great idea. I was thinking it would be something my dogs really enjoyed. The best thing about it to me is how healthy it would be for them. I went out and bought a few of these for my three dogs to try and it turned out to be a disaster. One of my dogs loves it and she ate it pretty quickly. The other two dogs seemed unsure about the food but ate it anyways. Later on that afternoon two of my dogs were really lazy and seemed sick. Sure enough, they had a tore up stomach. It was horrible. I have never fed them this food since then. I still rated this food a seven out of ten because every dog is different. One of my dogs done perfectly fine with this food. The other two it just did not sit well with. I would just recommend to let your dog have a small amount at first, of any food they have never had, to see how it works for them.

• Flavor Selection:

A bright new idea for holiday gift baskets

Comments about Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls:

What inspired me to purchase Freshpet Select Slice & Serve Rolls was quite unique. I first noticed them before the holiday season began. Prior to purchase they had a cents off coupon so it turned out to be a really great opportunity to try something new. It's actually quite a unique and innovative idea. When you slice the roll it resembles pimento loaf. I cut it 1/2 inch chunks and I can get about about ten slices, give or take because I am estimating rather than measuring. It needs to be kept in the refrigerator and it will last without any loss of quality or freshness for more than a week. Since I don't feed my dog this meat roll on a regular basis, I tend to cut up the entire loaf and then repack them in freezer bags and store them in the freezer so that nothing gets moldy or wasted. My dog seems to like it and he eats it without any issues. The aroma of the roll isn't very pleasant but it is tolerable. A really great idea for pet lovers to try is to hand make a holiday basket for their pet or the pet lover in their life. Similar to a human summer sausage holiday basket. Last year I purchased several different varieties of the Freshpet Select & Serve Rolls Brand and made homemade gift baskets for the people I know who have pets. It was really cool and there were no complaints. These rolls are perfect for those types of creative ideas. It's price and overall quality makes it worth trying at least once.

Flavor Selection
        There are 3 different flavor varieties where I shop so it is limited a bit.