3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Odor Control:

Fresh Step Clay Litter Always Smells Fresh!

I have used Fresh Step Clay Litter for many years.  I originally chose Fresh Step Clay Litter due to the weight - a fourteen pound bag of Fresh Step fills as many litter boxes as a twenty pound bag of regular clay litter, making the chore of carrying the bags down the basement steps much easier on my back.

I am impressed with the super absorbency of Fresh Step Clay Litter.  It is made from a rare, high quality clay.   It has a "paw activated refreshing system/"  Every time one of my cats enter the litter box, its fresheners are activated - thus the name Fresh Step!

Fresh Step Clay Litter has been improved over the years since my original purchase.  The advanced formula prevents the growth of odor causing bacteria due to a patented antimicrobial agent.  The latest improvement to Fresh Step Clay Litter has been the addition of carbon which neutralizes and eliminates odors on contact. My only complaint with this is that my cat, Jelly, has snow white paws and they become a dingy grey after he uses a freshly replenished box due to the carbon.  However, I would much rather wipe off Jelly's paws than have a home that smells of cat urine.

Another complaint I have with Fresh Step Clay Litter is that some bags contain finer litter than others and create more dust.  There is a thin layer of green dust on the floor surrounding the litter box as well as any object next to it.  For this reason, I will rate this litter four stars, even though I would rate it as five stars for odor control.

If If you have a multi-cat household, I definitely recommend Fresh Step Clay Litter and you will have virtually no odor.

Thank you for reading my review.

Some things that are free are not that great

With Fresh Step kitty litter products you also get "Paw Points".  Paw points are points you save up to get freebie stuff from Fresh Step which is a nice thing.  I thought I would cash in some of Scrappy's points for a free bag of litter.

Being new to cat life I thought all of their litter was scoop-able and had the carbons in it to keep her litter box smelling fresh.  This being a coupon for a 14 pound bag of kitty litter was nice, but I am so going to the store to get our regular Fresh Step kitty litter.  Scrappy can't light a match or spray after she does a #2 and it's been a hour and I can still smell it.  Love my cat...won't have my home smelling like one.

I believe in the Fresh Step brand for scoop-able ez and carbon protection to keep our home fresh smelling, but as for the clay type kitty litter...I will leave it at the store. Does not clump nor does it keep the litter box and home smelling fresh.

Great Value

from Boston, MA

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

I like this litter. It is relatively inexpensive but is still a great value. I have multiple cats and they are in the litter box frequently throughout the day. Even though they never learned how to bury their waste the odor is well controlled. I try to clean their litter box every other day but even if I am being a bit lazy it will control odor for about a week. My chief complaint is that there is a lot of dust when you do clean the little box and the odor control stops working if a clump is broken while cleaning. I still like this litter over others and will continue to use and recommend it.

Moisture Absorption
Overall I feel moisture is absorbed very well especially since my cats don't bury their feces or urine. I have been using this little for quite some time and I have never had an absorbtion issue.

As I wrote before, it clumps well but only if you clean every one to two days. After a few days it will start to fall apart. There is a lot of dust though which bothers me a bit. I usually wear a mask or tie a bandana around my mouth and nose so the dust won't bother me.

Odor Control
I have multiple cats and they DO NOT like to bury their fecal matter. Even though they don't do that this little dulls the odor better than other litters that I have tried in the past. I change the litter every two weeks and add more when needed and that has been a good system for me. Sometimes I will add a little bit of baking soda to dull the litter odor but compared to other products the odor is well controlled.

This clumps well but only if you clean the box every 1-2 days. After that the clumps will not hold very well.

Fresh Steps Premium Litter: Great For Guinea Pigs Too

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

I use certain types of dry cat litter to line the bottom of the litter pans that I use for my guinea pigs. I have never had a problem with them eating any of the clay based cat litter products and when I got some coupons for the Fresh Step litter I didn't hesitate to try it. If it didn't work out for my needs I knew I could drop off the unused portion to the local animal rescue center for them to use.

This does a great job of absorbing the scent and smell of their urine and having the ability to lift it out with a scooper makes it a quick clean up in the morning. At any given time I have seven to ten guineas pigs so that's a lot of clean up if I don't stay on top of it; when I have used this for stray cats it's worked great and the clumping that it has makes it easy for me to get it in to a bag and out to the curb.

There's no dust to this so if the guinea pigs start scratching around in it I know it isn't going to irritate their lungs or make them sneeze. I use this with shredded paper as a bottom layer and it works out great for my needs. I don't go through a lot of this as long as I scoop out the clumped areas of it once a day. In the summer they eat a lot more fresh fruit and watermelon and that makes more urine waste. I would imagine that this would work for a multi cat household as long as it is sifted and cleaned once a day.

Compared to some of the other clay based cat litter products I have tried, I think this is one of the best for the price and the size of the container. I do use this more in the summer than in the winter but it has come in handy when my vehicle has been stuck in the snow. A couple handfuls of this thrown under the tires and it provides enough traction to get my vehicle operational again.

great litter

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

After reading some of the other reviews, I wonder if they read the package before they purchased the litter. It's CLAY litter, ladies, it doesn't clump. I prefer non-clumping litter and Fresh Step is the best. I also like the Paw Points program, I've gotten lots of cat toys for free.

• Odor Control:

i didn't like it and neither did my cat

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

I hated this litter. It didn't clump and it didn't seem to mask odor at all. Our cat's litter box is in a bathroom and I could smell the litter box from the hallway. I tried using baking soda to help with the odor, but that didn't even help much. I ended up just dumping the litter after about a week and putting a completely different brand in. I think it's the fact that it's a clay litter as to why it didn't work.

• Odor Control:

Not the ideal kitty litter for me.

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

This cat litter is unsatisfactory. I bought a small bag, (thank goodness it wasn't any larger!) and the performance is very poor. It does absorb moisture but the odor hangs around. When scooping, I'm left with about half of the litter spoiled with fresh litter still on top. There is no way to dispose of the old litter without trashing the entire box, thus wasting money.

Moisture Absorption
One thing I can say for this product is that it absorbs moisture well. I don't like how it holds all of the spoiled litter around the bottom. If you're a fan of this brand, I'd suggest trying out a clumping litter instead.

When scooping, the entire box of litter appears to be spoiled after only 1-2 days.

Odor Control
The odor control could have been much better, but it could have been slightly worse as well.

I don't like the way this litter reacts.

• Odor Control:

Fresh Step Clay Litter does Not Absorb Odor Well...

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

Fresh Step Clay Litter used to be the best around when it came to cat litter, however in recent years it has really changed. I used it one time recently and I was extremely disappointed in its quality. It does not clump and it does not have a pleasant smell when you first fill up your litter box with it. When I choose a cat litter, one of the most important factors I am concerned with is if it will absorb odor well. This litter does not absorb odors well at all. In fact, I had the problem where the area around the litter box smelled of amonia from the cat urine all the time, even though I would change the litter often (and by often I mean every few days). I only have two cats using the litter and I was so disappointed in its quality. I was constantly having to change the litter or at least add more litter to refresh the box, which is not very economical. What used to be one of the best clay litters, is no longer worth the money. Stick to another brand or use scoopable.

Odor Control
Works great to hel ponceal any and all odors that are left in the litter box.

• Odor Control:

Great litter for multi-cat households

from West Nyack, NY

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

Fresh step is the only cat litter you'll find in our household. Our 2 adult cats share a litter box, so keeping it clean is really important. I find it absorbs the urine really well and eliminates odor. We keep the litter box in its own closet too which helps keep the smell isolated. We've tried the clumping variety, but I find that you need to really keep on top of it, otherwise the clumps just turn into wet sand and its kind of smelly. Fresh step is a little more expensive than other brands like tidy cat, but i think it's really worth it. We tend to buy the 30 pound bags and keep them in the garage... they last quite a while, and help keep the cost down. Definitely recommend for multi-cat households.

I never worry about smell with Fresh Step Clay Litter

from Verona, WI

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

Fresh Step Clay Litter (non-scoopable, comes in a big bag) is the best litter that I've ever used. I have lived with cats since I was born, and my family tried a lot of different kitty litters. Growing up, we always used scoopable kitty litter, but there was always a smell of amonia or something that just lingered in the air. It wasn't the smell of waste, but rather it was the smell of chemicals trying to mask the waste. By the time I got out of college, I was told that clumping litters really aren't good for cats because the dust gets in their system. They said that it caused a lot of issues with cats down the line.

So, for the last 5 years, I've used Fresh Step non-scoopable clay litter, and I have to say-- it does not smell. Seriously! My dad is always surprised when I tell him that I only dump the litter (and never scoop) once every couple of weeks with my one cat. You can stand right next to the litter box and not smell it.

There is a small mess around the litter box if you don't sweep up every few days. Some of the litter trails out with our cat, but (correct me if I'm wrong here) I think that happens with all litters.

I love this litter and highly recommend it to anyone searching for a great solution for your indoor pal!

Fresh Step Cat Litter far superior.

from Woodridge, NY

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

I've tried seceral cat litters in the past, and both my cat as well as myself prefer this Fresh Step

cat litter. I can't tell how my cat feels but she seems to like this prouct the best of all the cat litters we've tried. As for myself, I find it the easiest to manage. There is no sandy clumping, No trouble

changing it due to it's pebble like substance, and doesn't stick to the scooper. Also, eliminates smell better than any other I've tried.

In my opinion this is a far superior product.

An acceptable litter for three cats at a reasonable price

from Woodstock, VA

Comments about Fresh Step Premium Clay Cat Litter:

Fresh Step cat litter with odor control is acceptable for my three cats. Is has low amount of dust which is ok for cat's with urinary tract disorders (especially if clumping litter is too expensive).  The largest size bag is extremely misleading as the 40 pound bag has writing in large letters that suggests more weight (55 lbs). Also, if participating in the Fresh Step Rewards Program, Paw Points, often times the reward code is not legible and therefore cannot be entered for points.