Other Cat Litters:
7293306135720, 44600030272

Pros

Cons

• Odor Control:

First time using a crystal litter, and I was very impressed.

Before I used this litter, I had never tried a clumping clay litter with crystals in it before. We have three cats in my house at the moment, now that I am living at my moms house, and even though we have separate litter boxes all the cats seem to want to use the same litter box. We have one in the basement, one for my cat, and my mom keeps one in her room because the cats like to sleep there. Well the one in my mom's room is the litter box that all of the cats seems to gravitate towards, so we needed to buy a better litter to use in that litter box.

I have always preferred using clay litters over regular clumping litters because I find that they get rid of all the moisture in the litter boxes. I was happy and excited to see that Fresh Step made a clay clumping litter with crystals in it to soap up the moisture, and carbon to get rid of any odors. The crystals, clay, and carbon were a unique trio, and worked very well.

Like I said this was the first time that I had used a crystal litter, and I was completely amazed by it. With all three cats using the same box, it can get pretty gross really quick. We have two male cats and one female cat. Two of the cats are young, and the one male cat is very old. The male cats make the one litter box wet and moist really quick, and for some reason my female cat has started to go in their box as well. With regular cheap clumping litters, I can easily smell all the pee, and the box gets moist and wet very quick.

With the crystal clumping clay litter the box doesn't get wet or moist at all throughout the day. The crystals/clay completely absorb all the urine, clump it up, and keep the box dry all throughout the day, even with the high traffic in the box. With the male cats I can usually smell the urine a mile away, but with the crystals and the carbon in the litter, it completely eliminated all the pee odors without using any heavy fragrances. I couldn't smell the litter at all in my house, or the pee. The bottom and the sides of the box didn't get wet and hard like it would have if I was using a regular litter. The bottom of the box stayed dry, and the litter clumped up as soon as the urine hit it, and kept the box fresher for a longer period of time.

With this litter I only had to clean the box once a day, and it keep all the urine, poop, and odors at bay. This is definitely a fantastic litter to use if you have multiple cats using the same litter box. Even if you only have one cat this litter would be amazing for you because you wouldn't have to clean it as often.

Moisture Absorption
Honestly, it's really hard to get rid of the odors and moisture that comes along with male cats, even if they are neutered. My mom has one younger male cat, and one older male cat. My female cats odor doesn't seem to have much of a scent to it at all. The crystals in this cat litter did a fantastic job at absorbing all the urine in the litter box. The cat box in my mom's room is usually soaked with urine when using other cheap cat litters. The crystals and clay in this litter box kept the box dry, and clumped up all the urine. I was happy that this was both a clumping and clay litter, because clay does a better job at absorbing moisture then regular clumping litters do alone. With this little it clumped up and absorbed all the urine and took away the gross urine smell that came along with it. It completely clumped up all the moisture, and made it easy to scoop out without ruining any of the other litter. None of the litter on the bottom of the box was wet at all, which made it made easier to clean out.

Cleaning up after the cats was very simple with this crystal clay clumping cat litter. Even with all three cats trying to use the same litter box, it stayed fresh. The litter clumped up very easy, and kept the box dry all day. I scooped it only once daily, and it didn't smell or get very dirty at all. The carbon and the crystals in the litter got rid of the odors, and I didn't have to scoop it or change it completely as often as I would have with a regular clumping litter.

Odor Control
The crystals and carbon mixed together did a fantastic job at hiding the odors in a multiple cat litter box. My cats urine usually doesn't smell bad but my mom's male cats smell horrible. With this litter I couldn't smell the male cat urine smell at all. The crystals completely suck up all the moisture, and take all the odors along with it. The crystals give a long lasting odor control, and keep the litter box smelling fresh all day long. I used to be able to smell the male cat urine even with highly fragrant cat litters, but with the Fresh step I can't smell the litter box at all in the house anymore.

There is very little dust if any at all when poring it into the litter box. The crystal clay litter is easy to clean, and keeps all the odors away. I clean the litter box on a daily basis, but it doesn't seem to get as dirty as quick with the crystal litter.

Might smell fresh but it sure is messy to use

We have had pets for ever and the one cardinal rule is they have to be kept clean, fed, and groomed. So for the kitten and rabbit that means a litter box and litter. While it isn't the most delightful job there are some things that makes it a lot easier and the first one is to get the right litter.

Moisture Absorption
It is super important that you get a litter that absorbs. Fresh Step sounded like it would be really great but I was really disappointed. When the animals used their pans it almost seemed you could see the dust in the air and that was worse to clean up than the box as it landed everywhere leaving a powdered film.

It did clump up so that helped in cleaning up but I hated the dust everywhere

Odor Control
The odor or lack of smell is the one redeeming factor in this product. It left the area smelling fresh and clean. I insist that the liter boxes be cleaned two or three times a weel and this brand always seemed to have some odor after sitting a couple of days.

Not a problem to use but the story is in how well it works and Fresh Step is a step behind..

Might smell fresh but it sure is messy to use

from Texas

It did clump up so that helped in cleaning up but I hated the dust everywhere

• Odor Control:

First time using a crystal litter, and I was very impressed.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Good Cat Litter - But lots of dust

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

I used Fresh Step for years, all varieties. The scent is pleasant, and the litter clumps pretty well. I notice that urine does not clump in a solid ball though. It kind of crumples, which contaminates the litter. My cats are fussy and they had no problems using this. My main complaint is the dust that Fresh Step creates. We have open litter boxes in a bathroom across the hall from our office. We noticed that our printer frequently malfunctioned and our desk top computer fan got clogged all the time. After we changed to Arm & Hammer cat litter, both problems resolved. While there is still dust, it's not as severe. The printer no longer malfunctions / cartridges don't get clogged, and the computer has much less dust in the fans. It's crazy that cat litter can do all that. Anyway, my advice is, don't use this litter if your litter boxes are closed to printers or computers.

Moisture Absorption
Pretty good, but urine clumps and then crumbles when scooped.

Same as above.

No complaints

No complaints

Profile Image

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

I bought this when it was on sale and figured it could not be bad since I have used other Fresh Step litters and was pleased. It is supposed to have crystals and carbon to mask the odors better than normal litters but that was not the case. It did not mask or absorb the odors any better than normal clumping kitty litter. Don't get me wrong, it did get rid of smells, just not any better. I paid for this thinking it would be different and it was not. It does clump really well and is easy to pour, but for the price I do not think I will get it again.

Moisture Absorption
Absorbs very well. Forms nice hard clumps within minutes.

Clumps scoop out very easily, very little breakage. I change the entire litter box weekly and it dumped into the trash bag with minimal dust.

Odor Control
Controls odors as well as other less expensive litters. This one is supposed to be better at odor control and in my opinion was not.

Pours into litter box very easily.

• Odor Control:

Great For Littermaid Boxes!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

I've tried innumerable litters over the years and since I purchased a Littermaid litterbox I've been on the search for the perfect clumping litter. I always like to try the newest clumping litters as they come out to see if they are an improvement on my current litter and this one really is.

Fresh Step is a very good litter brand and I've always had quite good results with it. I was drawn to this particular formula since it has crystals in it to absorb any odors. Since I do have a Littermaid odors are not normally an issue but it's always best to be on top of things.

The clumping works beautifully and I've noticed that since it clumps so hard there is no excess litter that is transferred to the waste receptacle and wasted. Only the soiled litter is removed. Also, the clumps are very firm so they do not break apart and contaminate the clean litter remaining in the box which is awesome.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that this is a bit on the dusty side but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Overall, this is a nice improvement on regular scooping litter and one sure to be appreciated by anyone with multiple cats.

Fantastic litter

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

We have tried other litters, but none have been as effective as this one. It easily takes the liquid and seems to magically mask the smell. We can go longer between changing out the entire box of litter which is a money and time saver. Our cat really likes this litter.

Moisture Absorption
Almost immediately after use, the moisture (and the related smell) are quickly absorbed. Almost to the point of not being able to see where she has just gone.

It is extremely easy to clean this litter. You can scoop out the "used" parts quite easily and it is also easy to clean/replace the entire litter box. It does get a little heavy when you have to pick up/clean the entire box compared to some other litters.

Odor Control
A lot of times people know you have a cat because you walk in and have that "cat" smell. With this litter, the smell is totally under control and you have no idea we have a cat unless you happen to see her. This litter traps the smell so well that you can go longer between complete litter changes then you can with most other litters.

Easy to put in the litter box, easy to clean up.

• Odor Control:

I love the convenience of being able to keep the litter longer.

Profile Image

from West Virginia

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

I've tried a dozen or so clumping litters now because after years of believing that clumping litter was wasteful, I received a coupon to try some clumping formula for free. I went ahead and cashed my coupon in and I have been a fan since!

This particular litter has these crystals/colored pieces in it that are to help with odor absorption. I really like this feature because it helps to tame and tone down the scent of ammonia after one of my cats urinates in the cat box.

I also like the litter itself because of the clumping action. It makes it easier to maintain and keep the box clean.

Moisture Absorption
The moisture absorption is great. Occasionally a puddle will seep to the bottom of the pan and cause larger clumps than I would like but this is hard to avoid if your cats use the same spot in the pan over and over.

It's very easy to cleaning clumping litter. I figured it would be harder to get the clumps off the bottom of the pan but the clumps come up with ease. I've found that it's okay to add a little extra litter to the pan because I am always scooping out the waste.

Odor Control
It does a good job but since I have three cats, it's harder to tame the smell. I think it would be great for single cat homes or even homes with two cats. My herd fill the boxes quickly but the odor isn't bad with this litter.

The clumping litter is easy to use. When it comes time to clean, I simply scoop out the messes. If I want to do a full box clean, I dump the pan outside to compost and I put in fresh litter after I'm done cleaning.

• Odor Control:

Just like any other litter

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

It is easy to use but does not clump urine well which makes cleaning more of a hassle than it should be.

Moisture Absorption
It does not absorb urine as well as other cat litters.

It is easy to clean but the urine clumps fall apart. So in the ling run run there are still dirty pieces in the litter box.

Odor Control
It does seem to control odor well.

Easy to open, pour and scoop (other than the clumps of urine that break apart).

• Odor Control:

I would never use anything else!

from Everett, MA

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

This is the best thing you could use for cat litter! I only have 1 cat but you can't even tell that he lives here. Anybody that comes to our house for the first time is shocked when they find out a cat lives here. We do try to keep it clean, scooping it about two to three times a day. The crystals are AMAZING!!! I don't know what is in them or what they do to them but it works! I had used the Tidy cat crystals but they changed something about them and it wasn't working that good anymore, so I tried the Fresh Step. I am a Fresh Step customer for life now. I have never been disappointed with this product. I also like that you can get "Paw Points" for using their products. You enter the codes from your packages online and get points that you can use to get free stuff. To top it all off, the crystals are pretty. A cat box isn't the prettiest sight and these crystals make it a lot easier on the eye.

• Odor Control:

The best kitty litter brand I found.

from Garden City, NY

Comments about Fresh Step Plus Dual Action Crystals Cat Litter:

When I had my** **cat this was the brand that worked for odors and cleanliness the best.  The other brands and I tried many just did not outdo this one.  The smell is fresh and clean and it clumps well.  I liked the coarse texture as well.