Other Allergy Medicines:
Corticosteroid
Flonase

Pros

Cons

Holy Schnikes, my allergies are nearly cured!

My primary care physician recently prescribed this for my never-ending, miserable nasal allergies and I have to say, I'm mighty impressed!

Flonase is a synthetic corticosteroid that you spray into your nostrils.  It's not really a quick fix for sinuses/allergies because it takes a couple of days to really kick in.  The maximum dose is two sprays per nostril, which you can do in one shot and makes this an extremely convenient medication.

First, you blow your nose to get all the guck out of there.  Then you lean forward, spray once into one nostril while breathing in (this is key), then repeat on the other side.  There is a slight aftertaste, but it's not horrid. The only thing you really have to remember is to clean your pump about once a week, but it's easy.  You just lift the top part, wash with warm water and dry it thoroughly.

I have seen quite a difference in my allergies since using this product.  It also has very little side effects and I have not experienced any yet, and I've been using it at least three weeks.  Common side effects include nose bleeds and dry nostrils, but I have yet to experience this.  I also don't get drowsy or foggy-headed when using this, which is much appreciated!

They also make a generic of this medication, which I use, and it costs very little for a several months' supply.  Viva la Flonase!

Flonase gave me a nosebleed bad enough to need it cauterized

One of our discussion boards asked about various products people have tried for allergies (click [here][1] to see that informative discussion). I guess I'm an allergy expert to an extent because I am allergic to pretty near everything.

**Flonase** (Fluticasone Propionate is the generic name) is an anti-inflammatory (corticosteroid) nasal spray available by prescription only.

What I like about **Flonase**:

- once a day dosing
- cuts down on swelling to make for easier breathing through the nose (helpful if you have allergic rhinitis)
- may cut down on sinusitis if sinuses drain better
- can be helpful for indoor and outdoor allergies
- is approved for people as young as 4 years old
- doesn't cause drowsiness (I definitely wasn't sleepy when I got my nose cauterized.)
- available in generic form--can save a little bit of money
- easy to use--the **Flonase** website actually has directions for using this nasal spray if you're interested

What I **don't** like about **Flonase:**

- It caused me to have severe nosebleeds that were bad enough to need to be cauterized. This is when they burn the bleeding vessel--burning the inside of one's nose is not fun. I stopped using **Flonase** after that, even though my allergist encouraged me to use it in a nasal lavage (neti pot) cup. No thanks--I'm not taking that chance again, but this might be an option if you really want to use this nasal spray but are experiencing nosebleeds.
- It has a strange smell. My husband swears it does not smell, but I can tell any time that he has sprayed his nose with it (he also has a prescription for **Flonase**). If I am anywhere near it in the room, I begin to cough. Incidentally, **Flonase** also causes my husband to have occasional nosebleeds.
- It leaves a medicine taste in the back of my throat.
- It is **EXPENSIVE**
- Relief is not immediate. This is not Afrin or Nasalcrom, where you can get immediate relief. I would not recommend Afrin for use for long-term, but Nasalcrom is a good OTC alternative. Two of my kids use Nasonex, another prescription anti-inflammatory nasal spray, that has never caused either of them to have a nosebleed.
- Bottle is not clear--it may sound like more medicine is in the bottle when it is no longer squirting. I found it helpful to write the date on the bottle. If used regularly, you will then know when this bottle will run out because each spray is metered.

**My Viewpoint:**

If you are looking for an anti-inflammatory, expensive, prescription-strength nasal spray that is likely to cause bad nosebleeds, you may want to consider using **Flonase**. Some people have had great results with **Flonase**, but I have not.

I prefer [Nasonex][2] for my children. If you are considering an over-the-counter nasal spray that is faster-acting (but also shorter-acting), you may want to read my [review][3] about Nasalcrom.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/topics/When-pretending-you-have-allergies-does-not-work-/posts#post_26427
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Schering-Corporation-Nasonex-Nasal-Spray-review-9b604
[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Nasalcrom-Allergy-Prevention-Nasal-Spray-88-Fl-oz-review-bcb24

Definitely a staple during cold season

from Ann Arbor MI

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Clears Breathing
  • Easy To Administer
  • Effective
  • Fast-Acting
  • No Side Effects
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

• Congestion
  • Everyday
  • Runny Nose & Sneezing

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

I got a recommendation from a friend a coupe of years ago to use this. During the winters I would be constantly stuffy, even when I wasn't sick. I bought it (for a decent price), tried it out, and got immediate relief! It was a little uncomfortable using it the first couple of times but after I got used to it, it was fine. The symptom relief is definitely worth the uncomfortableness. When I have a cold, it doesn't do anything to help my throat or headache, but it does it's job when it comes to my stuffy nose. The relief doesn't last all day and I find myself having to use it multiple times a day, but the relief does last for a couple of hours, which I am grateful for. I will continue to buy this product and I recommend to anybody who suffers during the winter!

Great for sinuses AWFUL for migraines...

from Bozeman, MT

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

I picked up some Flonase to at the store after my allergy medicine began failing this winter. At first it seemed like a miracle. Combined with my Allegra, I finally could breath. It also seemed to be helping my allergy-induced asthma symptoms. The trouble came when I started getting these blinding day-long migraines. At first I attributed them to another medication I had recently switched to a generic. But I figured out that it was not that med. I did some research and found that nasal sprays can be a migraine trigger. Bummer! So I had to come off the spray. Thankfully, the headaches went away. Nasal symptoms came back though, along with nose bleeds and a seemingly deadened sense of smell. I don't know if it is just because my nose is all stuffed up again due to allergies or if it is a bad side effect. It hasn't been but a week off of it so I'm waiting to see.

It does exactly what it says it does. It helps with nasal allergy symptoms.

Pretty easy to use. I'm sure there is potential for user error if you don't read the directions on how to use a nasal spray properly in order to get maximum effectiveness.

Immediacy
Seemed to take a couple days to really feel the effects.

• Immediacy:

Flonase nasal spray

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

Flonase nasal spray is a prescription spray you use once every twenty four hours to help with allergies. They claim it is not only for nasal allergy symptoms but itchy, watery eyes as well. My doctor prescribes this for me for my spring hay fever type allergies. I use it every day in the spring months. I do notice a big improvement in my nasal congestion, sneezing, and runny nose. However I do not notice an improvement in my eye symptoms. My eyes still get very itchy, watery, and red. I am not quite sure how a nasal spray is supposed to help with eyes but this is what Flonase is claiming. When I first spray it in my nasal passages it does cause a slight burn and at times it will drip down the back of my throat leaving quite the nasty taste. Thankfully it is a one a day medicine so I do not have to deal with that often. They are coming out with an over the counter version of this which will be nice, I won't need to see my doctor first to get it. Overall it helps my allergies but if your eyes get bad I would suggest adding some eye drops to your routine.

Works good but gives me bloody noses

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

During the past winter my allergies were much more severe than normal. Along with another medication my doctor recommended I use the Flonase twice a day to clear up my severe congestion. The first few times I tried to use it I did not notice a difference. It was difficult to get it up my nose with how congested I was. After a few days I could notice it start working and I was happy with the results. The unfortunate part was that after about a week i started getting bloody noses very often, which is extremely rare for me. At that point I felt better so I stopped using it but a few weeks later my congestion was back. Although it worked when I used it again, I noticed that the link between me using it and my bloody noses was quite clear. I still use it occasionally but only when necessary because the bloody noses are a pain and it makes my throat a lot worse with post nasal drip.

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

A few years ago my family doctor recommend that I take Flonase Nasal Spray for the congestion in my nose from a severe sinus infection I had. This was the first time I have ever used a nasal spray. After using the Flonase Nasal Spray I got immediate relief from my nasal congestion. I was able to breath out of my nose, but the relief did not last too long. Within the hour my congestion had came back and breathing out of my nose became difficult once again. I was quite disappointed that the relief from the nasal spray did not last very long. I don't know much about nasal sprays since this was the very first time I have ever used one. So I don't know if nasal sprays only work with mild cases of nasal congestion and not for severe cases of congestion. I also don't know how often you use the nasal sprays for or even if I had used it properly. The Flonase nasal spray did work immediately after using, but the relief did not last as long as I expected it too.

Works even when battling a common cold

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

My doctor prescribed this for me when I had a horrible cold and was having trouble breathing through my nose. I am aware that medications really should not be used for a common cold since it is a virus, however this product really worked well to help open up my sinuses so I could breath and have some relief.
I found that this nasal spray had a funny smell and left an aftertaste in my mouth as it would drain down into my throat. The smell and taste really did not bother me much since I was much more concerned with being able to breath through my nose again.
This spray was very affordable and long lasting. I would be able to use it in the morning and it really gave me relief throughout the day. I would also use it in the evenings as well to help me sleep. The bottle lasted a long time since I really only use it when I have a cold or sinus problems. I would recommend asking your doctor about this nasal spray when dealing with sinus congestion.

Works for Colds as well as Allergies

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

I have been using Flonase for years to control my allergies. This works better than the other nasal sprays I have tried over the past. It is great in reducing inflammation of the sinus passages, therefore reducing ear pain and post nasal drip. Since this is not an OTC product, you will need to get a prescription from your physician or allergist. One bottle seems to last quite a while as I only need to use one squirt in each nasal cavity twice per day. It does not work immediately, but this is something that needs to be used for at least a 2 week period of time to be effective. I use this year round, so that is not a problem for me. It provides continuous relief, year round. I even use this when I have a cold, so it is useful for colds and allergies. This is really something that is to be used to decrease swelling of the sinus, not really for congestion. But you might notice an odd taste in your mouth after using, because it does have a strong spray, so it sometimes tends to drip down your throat. So you may want to have a sip of water following usage.

Flonase Nasal Spray is one of the best I've tried yet.

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

Flonase Nasal Spray was first prescribed to me by an emergency room doctor. I went to the emergency room with severe cold symptoms and the worst was how stuffed up my nose was. I could barely breath. It was so stopped up. So the ER doctor prescribed me the Flonase Nasal Spray and I immediately noticed a difference. My nasal passages started to clear and I was able to breath better. It also cleared up the nasal drainage. This Flonase Nasal Spray was the first nasal spray I tried. It turned out to be one of the most effective and one of the best I've tried. This nasal spray has been a great preventive care for my nasal allergies. I used this nasal spray for a few years and it worked relatively well. If I needed another nasal spray this one would be the one that I would prefer over the others. It's a highly effective nasal decongestion and it is covered by most insurances. It's just overall a great nasal spray.

Didn't work for me

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

I have bad allergies and am always congested. My doctor prescribed Flonase to me. It did not work for me. I hated the smell-it smells very sweet and flowery and I found it to be too much like a perfume scent. I did not notice any relief from my congestion. In fact, I became more congested. I was then prescribed Allegra D and that worked much better! My dad uses Flonase and he seems to have better luck with it. I suppose it is worth trying.

I can breathe again!

from Jamaica, NY

Comments about Flonase Nasal Spray:

I really love Flonase Nasal Spray! Before I started using it, I could barely breathe during the spring and summer months, even into the fall, because of terrible horrible allergies. It's easy to use with no major side effects.

Less than a week after I started using flonase nasal spray, my nose was clear and my allergy syptoms were drastically reduced, if not totally eliminated. It's really simple to use, no assembly of the pump required, just a little priming and it's ready to go. This stuff really made life a lot more pleasant when flowers, trees, and grass are growing. It also helped a lot with my dust allergies, which I didn't expect it to at all.

The only drawback to the product is the taste. It runs down the back of the throat and tastes absolutely awful in my mouth. The taste lingers until I chase it out with some other intense flavor. But other than that, it's amazingly wonderful and I recommend it to anyone with allergies.