View more camcorders

Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

The Flip Video Ultra HD is flipping fun and easy to use!

I received this as a gift but somehow my six year-old daughter has taken it over and has become the primary user. She has a blast recording (and watching) herself singing songs, dancing, and playing the guitar. The rest of our family (including the dogs) has become her filming subjects, usually without our knowledge. It's often a funny surprise to randomly pick up the Flip to see what she has recorded.

The Flip is a fun video recorder that is great for children or non-professionals. While I wouldn't use it to record a wedding, it's great for everyday filming or casual events.

The Flip has performed very well for my family's basic needs. My husband has the fancy video recorder so the Flip is used exclusively for random events in or around our home.

It's important to note that there is no light with the Flip so this cannot be used in dark lighting situations, such as at night or in a very dark room.

The playback sound isn't as loud as other camcorders that we have used, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Battery Life
This comes with a rechargeable battery pack, however we use disposable batteries which seem to last very long. The instruction manual states that it takes approximately 6 hours to recharge the battery pack via the computer's USB port. If you choose to purchase the Flip Video Power Adapter, then the recharging time decreases to 3.5 hours.

My six year-old daughter tends to be accident-prone and a little too carefree with small electronics, yet the Flip has proven to be durable enough to withstand her thrashing. It comes with a wrist strap (no more worries about dropping it) and a drawstring cloth storage pouch so it's easy to throw inside a purse or bag without worrying about possible damage.

This is so easy to use that my daughter taught me how to use it and that was without reading the instruction manual. If you do need to refer to the manual, it is very user-friendly and easy to understand.

I love the design of the Flip. It's the size of a small camera (for easy portability), hooks up directly to my computer's USB port, and only has a few function buttons, which makes it easy to use.

Dont get it while you have the chance

i got this camera a few years ago for christmas and i thought that this would be great for my youtube channel and school projects. i was wrong. first things first i'll start with the good the plug in the side of the camera is very fun to play with and assurs that you will never lose a pesky cord to plug the divice into the computor. also the camera is nicely made with good video and audio quality. it also has a vey simple button setup and is easy to figure out, and it has a hd screen in the back so that you can view your videos. One of the most important things that this thing has that was great was the tripod screw in that fit snugly on to any tripod of my choosing. Now that we got the goood out of the way here are the reasons that it got 2 stars. first of all the camera would be 10x better if you werent handcuffed to that terrible software it comes with, flipshare disables you from using any other software to edit videos without having to go through a bunch of work. also it doesent allow you do do basically anything, ive tried it all timelapses, music you name it it doesent work. the software only comes with one transition and thats a fade which basically cuts of the first and last things you say in a video clip which is really frustrating. on top of that you cant put a micro sd card into the thing in case you need more memory, and if you use it too much even if you delete the videos that were on there and its completly cleared you still gradually lose time and memory. one of the most annoying things about the camera is that you cant charge it with a plug in you have to go out of your way to plug it into the computor and let it charge at an alarmingly low charging rate. and for all the charging the batterylife isnt that good maybe a hour at most on a full charge. well thats all i would not recommend the camera to anyone untill they allow the camera to be freed from the poor software its contracted to.

Useful Recorder for Lectures

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I bought it two years ago to record class lectures. It is light and portable. It turns on and off quickly, and can record for two hours, which is much longer than an average lecture. The 720p resolution captures blackboard writings clearly. However, after about 1:04 hours, the recording stops and has to be restarted by pressing 'Record'.

It does not have optical zoom. Also, in dark conditions, the picture quality deteriorates. But for classroom lighting, the quality of the video and audio are great.

The files are saved in MP4 format. The battery charges when the camera is connected to an USB port or a wall charger. I bought extra batteries as I kept using my recorder for multiple semesters. As of today, the recorder works well.

Battery Life
After two semesters, my original battery only lasts for about 30 minutes. The other two replacements I bought still last for more than an hour.

Easy-grip design and strap at corner to hold it securely

Uncomplicated buttons, and few uncomplicated features for recording. Uploading into computer is just like uploading from an USB device. No experience with FlipShare.

• Battery Life:

The Flip is really protable!

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I got this camera because I needed a camera to do short vlogs for my Youtube channel.I wanted a camera that decent quality so my viewers could see clearly still and a camera that would be really easy to carry!The awesome feature about this camera is that it is really light and really easy to carry around!I mean the quality is not that bad but do you want to be carrying something like a Canon t2i around vlogging yourself?Many famous Youtube stars actually use the Flip to record their short vlogs too!I would only get this camera if your really gonna start doing a lot of blogs or that you are gonna travel a lot and want to record those precious moments you have.If your not gonna do much blogs, I would not recommend this camera because you would be wasting your money.

• Battery Life:

FLip UltraHD is fantastic!

from Denver, CO

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

The Flip UltraHD Camcorder is fantastic. It's VERY compact, which makes it so convenient and easy to pull out and shoot video really quickly. Perfect for kids--when they are doing something oh-so-cute (or oh-so-naughty), this compact little thing whips out so quickly to catch them in the act :) The quality is awesome as well. The price is AMAZING for what it delivers. I'd rather have one of these things as opposed to having a bigger bulkier camera. This camera may not have all of the fancy features that larger camcorders have, but it really is all that I need. The only thing that isn't my favorite about this camcorder is the picture quality of the still camera in it. It is worse than my blackberry in that aspect...BUT...remember, this is a camcorder--and that it does wonderfully. Compact, affordable, great quality, ease in uploading (no cord needed!!!). Great product and it comes highly recommended.

Easy and Fun

from Cherry Hill, NJ

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I originally bought this as a gift for my daughter to take pictures of my new granddaughter. She loved it.  It is light and portable and easy to carry in a pocket so it is there to catch a special moment.  I liked it so much, I bought one for myself.  This tiny camcorder is ready to use right out of the box.  There is nothing special you need to learn.  The picture quality surpassed my expectations and the video can be played right back on my tv or computer.  This was a great investment as I really never used to take video pictures, but now I can't stop.  My problem, not my daughter's, is that sometimes my hand is not so steady so the pictures can be a bit shaky,

I would not compare this product with other sophisticated camcorders. It is what it is- an easy to use, convenient camcorder that can go with you anywhere, anytime. Great to take along to catch moments that would otherwise be lost. The picture quality is good. The camera is easy to download and can be played right on you T.V. It is one great little camcorder.

• Battery Life:

The Flip Video Ultra HD is flipping fun and easy to use!

Love this HD Flip Video!

from Layton, UT

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I absolutely love this UltraHD High Definition Flip Video!  I love the look and design of it.  Its small enough to fit in my pocket but not too small where it seems breakable. It seems sturdy so far.  The best part is its ease of use.  Having the USB cable inside the side of it makes it so easy and accessible.  When I plug it in my Mac (its good for PC and Apple), the Flip program pops right up and its easy to transport it to my iphoto or imovie.  Also I enjoy the flip program.  It does let you take still pictures of the videos and that is also easy to do.  However, the quality of those still pictures can be blurry and not a very good resolution.  Yet the video quality is very good, but I wish there was more zoom.  It would be nice for both to be of high quality then I don't have to bring my regular digital camera around too.  Its also easy to take video.  Just push the power button on the side and then push the red circle button to start and end video.  EASY.  I have really enjoyed this Flip so far.

You will love the Flip !

from Fairview, NJ

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I received this Flip UltraHD as a present a few months ago and I really love this thing! I recently went on vacation to a few places and have been recording nonstop and surprisingly still have storagespace! The video quality is also amazing! You would think that a little gadget like this would not be able to perform but you will be surprised! This thing has great video quality when you watch it on a computer or television. It is also so easy to use. Just plug in a hdmi cable to this and your television and you're already watching your videos in seconds. The sound quality is also above par and whether you are listening to this on your tv or right on your flip, you will approve.(It is loud if you want it to be)The battery life is also great and will not let you down when you most need it. (Just make sureyou fully charge it before doing some serious video capturing) The only problem is that you cannot charge it anywhere else besides your computer and this process does take pretty long. My advice is plug it on overnight so it can be fresh and ready in the morning. Best part about this thing is, it fits in your pocket! It is a definite buy, you will love it.

Flip Video is idiot proof and that's about it

from Greenville, NC

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I was rather diappointed by the Flip Video UltraHD considering all of the wonderful things I have been hearing about it.  It is idiot proof for the most part.  There were some issues with this camcorder right from the beginning.  The camcorder would not turn on and would not charge.  I had to call customer support to see what was up.  They told me to reset it and then it worked.  They were really nice and more then helpful.  Once I did actually get the camcorder to actually start charging it did not take that long.  It charged in less time then they say it should take it to charge.  The video recording did not go that well because we were trying to pan back and forth, which resulted in some very shaky looking video.  Also the camcorder did not pick up sound very well so when you actually watch the video turned all the way up you can barely hear anyone talking.  Another thing I did not like was when I went to trim the video and it was difficult to get the video to just the right length.  I think you should be able to put in the amount of minutes you want the video to be and it get trimmed back to that length automatically.

Very cool great quality camcorder

from Baden, PA

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

I received this Flip camcorder as a gift. Easy to use right out of the box. The directions are great, unlock battery cover lock, insert the batteries included in the package, put the battery cover back on, turn on the Flip and you're ready to go. That easy. Set up the language you want for directions, the date and time. Press the red button to record.

I wanted to see how easy it was to download the video and in less than 15 minutes I downloaded and saved my video onto my computer. Got the Flip stuff set up and was able to email my video instantly. The recipient of the video was able to open their email and instantly play the video on a full screen. Super cool and super easy!

The only downside was when I plug my Flip into my computer (USB port) I supported it with some books so that my FLIP wasn't hanging at an angle. I didn't want to break the USB arm on my camera. Other than that, this is a great gift!

Flip it out and record... IN HD!

from Central, SC

Comments about Flip Video - UltraHD (8 GB) High Definition Camcorder:

There's not much to say about the Flip Video UltraHD beyond the fact that it's pretty amazing. It's small and light-weight, perfect for carrying around to events or just for everyday life; it takes great quality 720p .mp4 videos, perfect for direct uploading to YouTube and other video-streaming websites; and the battery life is pretty good. It's plug-and-play, so getting the videos off the camera are an absolute breeze. In my personal case, my computer accessed the camera directly as a storage device, so I was able to bypass the incredibly silly software. The only downsides are how awkward it can be to plug into the USB and that a tripod can be a necessity, depending on who you are and what you plan to use this camera for. For someone like me, though, I don't have any issues with either of these, so overall, the Flip UltraHD camcorder is an outstanding piece of work.