Other High Chairs:

Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair T1899 / T3764 / W0383 / J5933

Pros

Cons

The Space Saver High Chair is great for newborn on up

We received these as a shower gift for our twin girls and we really like them.  The idea of two highchairs in our small apartment didn't appeal to either of us, so these chairs presented the perfect alternative.  I didn't open them until they were able to hold their heads up on their own, which was around 3 months.  In retrospect, I wish I would have opened them the day my husband went back to work.  Trying to bottle feed two newborns on your own is very challenging.  These seats recline back so Baby lays in the seat and that leaves your hands free to hold the bottle.  That could have saved a lot of headache and crying on all of our parts when I was still new at figuring out how to feed two hungry babies at the same time. There are a number of features that I really like about these chairs: - the afore mentioned recline

- the big sized tray

- the "grow with you" aspect

- easy to clean the tray and upohlstery.

- the compactness of the whole unit-it can actually slip under the table like a regular chair when the tray is off.

There are also some things that I don't like: - Neither girl tolerates the safety harness.  Now that they are 18 months, we don't buckle them in (which is against the safety precautions outlined in the manual) as they will scream.  I think the straps rub on their necks and make it uncomfortable.

- They are starting to get too big for the tray to be attached, even though they are not really ready to eat without it.  It pushes on their tummies and can't make for a pleasant eating experience.

- My biggest complaint has to do with the stability of the booster as it's hooked to the kitchen chair.  This could be the particular design of our chairs, but they seem very forward heavy.  One of them has tipped her sister over in the chair just by putting a little weight on the tray.  We are now very conscious of this and watch them like hawks if one is in the chair and the other is free.  I have also noticed that the chair even wants to flip when I am moving it toward the table with a kiddo in it.  Again, it could be our chairs, but it still is a little concerning.

- The tray is hard to store.  It's a little bit of an oxymoron, since the whole reasoning behind buying the unit is because of a lack of space.  We were able to store the trays on the supports under the chairs until the girls were crawling/walking.  We could probably do that again now that they have lost interest in the apparent novelty of the tray.

Overall, I think this is a great buy, especially for parents of multiples.  The recline feature alone "paid" for the seats!

Not as space saving as I would like

I got the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair when I had my first child in 2006. Since then the design has not changed much. I now have an 8 month old baby that we will use this same high chair for. I recently saw one with a different colored cushion on it but other than that it had all the same features. I thought it would be great since we have a small house to not have an extra piece of furniture sitting around, so I opted for the space saver high chair in lieu of a full size model.

For starters the Space Saver says it has a recline feature on it, however I never found that to be terribly helpful because if it is strapped onto a chair with a back, you really can't recline it anyway. So if that is something that is important to you (it never was for me really) then you may not like this high chair.

When the high chair is strapped onto a regular chair, the chair does not push up to the table as close as other chairs, so it still takes up more space than a regular chair. Granted, I don't have to have an extra chair sitting around but having one of my regular ones out in the room isn't much better.

Many traditionally styled high chairs have an adjustable height to them, so that you can raise and lower the seat to your desired height. The Space Saver high chair does not have that feature as it is strapped onto any chair you choose to put it on. That is not really much of a problem, because if it is strapped to a chair that you would normally sit in at that table, it puts the baby at the right height. I suppose if you had to put in a chair that did not go with your table though, it may be more difficult to achieve the right height.

I found that it is very difficult to get the straps placed right and to adjust them. Many times I don't use the harness straps at all and rely on the tray to hold the baby in. The other problem that the straps cause is that you have to know how to get them put in and out properly to remove the cusions for cleaning. This is a huge hassle. I just pull the padding up and clean under it as best I can but it is rather difficult to get it cleaned easily due to the way it is put together. In fact I just had to dismantle the entire high chair and clean it with bleach because I found things under there that had gotten missed in the past. I put the padding and straps in the washing machine and I hope that it gets cleaned well in there. I don't know if I am supposed to put the pad in there or not but I figured I would take my chances rather than have it so filthy.

One nice thing about this high chair is that it is not full sized so if you need to take it with you to Grandma's house out of town or something that is doable. It does not fold up any smaller than it is on the chair, but since there are no legs of its own it is still a lot smaller than a full size high chair.

My kids have never fought sitting in the high chair so I don't have to worry about them not liking it or anything like that. However, my kids don't really balk at any kind of high chair I put them in so I guess maybe they just aren't that picky. As long as they are eating they seem to be pretty happy.

One other thing I don't care for is the buckles that secure the high chair to the full size chair that you put it on. Some chairs have curved backs or oddly shaped seats and this does not fit snugly onto those kind of chairs. Our seats are narrower where the back meets the seat and wider where a person's legs are. This seems to be a fairly common way for seats to be shaped. However, if the seat is not square it is hard to get a good tight fit onto the chair. I have also had the buckles slip out and come undone which is a scary thought when your child is strapped into it.

My mother in law has a full size high chair at her house that she purchased when we had our first child. Because of this we have never had to take the Space Saver high chair with us anywhere. My own mother lives a few miles away and also has a full size high chair at her house. Although the idea of not having a high chair sitting in your way is a good idea, the reality of it is not quite so great. For instance, if we have company we need all four chairs that go with our table, which means the high chair has to be removed and put...where? I mostly wish that I had thought of these things a little closer but of course with a first baby I didn't know what I would want or need nearly as well as I do looking back. If you truly do not have room for a full size high chair, this is an effective way to get your child to the table. However, if you have the space or think you will need your dining chairs for grown ups anytime soon, spring for a full size high chair.

Good for small living spaces

Comments about Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair T1899 / T3764 / W0383 / J5933:

The dining area in our house is relatively small; we have a dining room table and four chairs and there really isn't much room for anything else. So when we found out we were expecting we didn't really want to try to squeeze a high chair into the area as well. I registered for this space saver high chair and it worked great as a high chair. The information on the box said it could also be used as a booster seat, which is another reason I choose this item on my registry. Unfortunately, the booster seat function did not work for us at all because the arm rests on the chair were too high to fit under the table top, so we could not slide the chair close to the table.

Sturdiness
We found this to be very sturdy and durable through two kids, despite them being rough on it as they got older.

See comment under Sturdy!

I'm giving this an 8 because of it did not live up to it's claims of versatility as far as booster seat goes. It was wonderful as a high chair.

Safety
Love the five point harness for younger kids!

The tray is easily removed with one hand and it is dishwasher safe. The seat cover does wipe up nicely but it is also removable and can be put in the dishwasher, along with the straps. Giving this a 9 only because the seat cover is a pain to remove and put back on.

• Safety:

Does everything you need it to do

When we were expecting our daughter we were living in a small apartment without an actual dining room. Most meals my husband and I ate at the coffee table in the living room. I saw the Space Saver highchair early in my research and knew right away that it was the one for us. When we were still in the apartment we could attach it to a chair at the small eating counter in the kitchen or (more often than not) just place it on the floor next to the coffee table. Either way our girl was secure and comfortable and she was right at the right height for us to help her. Now that we are in the house her highchair stays on a kitchen chair where we usually eat, but when we want to have a meal in the dining room it is as easy as can be to unstrap it from one chair and move it to another. My only complaint about this highchair is that it has more nooks and crannies than I would like in terms of cleaning it, and my daughter is capable of getting food into each and every one of them. I have solved the issue by taking it to the sink for a spray down every day or so and removing the seat from the base and putting it through the dishwasher from time to time as well, neither things that can be done easily with a full size highchair.

• Safety:

Love this booster/high chair after 2 1/2 years!

from Lubbock, TX

I bought the Space Saver high chair & booster seat because my nephews had one & I liked the idea of not having a separate high chair to have to mess with. It has been wonderful! It can fit on any chair for your table; it has straps that snap under & behind the chair and you can tighten them to make it sturdy. It can also be used alone on the floor; this comes in handy when you don't have a lot of seating, or when travelling, etc. It is very portable & easy to travel with. The chair has different recline positions, so you can adjust it as your baby grows & gains more head support.
There is a tray that can be removed. The arms CAN be removed. My husband just unscrewed them so that now my daughter (2 1/2) can be pushed up to the table. With the arms still attached, it will not fit at the table, which is annoying (but they do come off!) Also, the back of the chair comes off for when you want to use it as just a booster. It has a 5 point harness with the tall back & just a lap belt for older kids just using the booster.

The BEST high chair!

from CA

I received this as a gift for my baby shower, and almost returned it because it was not the high chair I registered for, but I decided to keep it and try it... and I absolutely love it!!! I have used the same chair for two babies, and it's so nice not to have a big, bulky high chair taking up space in my home. It fits all of my chairs (as long as they have a back, of course) and saves so much space (hence the name, lol) It was so small and compact that I was able to put it on a top shelf in my child's closet when she outgrew it, until me second baby arrived and started using it. I was so happy to see that they offer additional color/pattern options for slipcovers, so I just bought a new one and changed the look completely. Perfect if you are having a different gender than your first, like I did. The only problem I have is that I really wish the tray had a removable liner so I could just take if off and throw it in the dishwasher, but the tray is small and easy to remove, so it's not too hard to wash. I also really like how it reclines back, so it's great for newborns, or for when baby drinks a bottle. I would definitely recommend!

Great for tight spaces!

This high chair grows with the child and is awesome if you're living in a small apartment. Tray is easily removable and easy to clean (you can easily throw it in the dishwasher) The only chane I would make is to make the fabric easier to remove, it gets dirty easily.

Love it!

from Arkansas

Ummmmmm.......our 2.75 year old still gets in this for three meals a day. Which is probably wrong on so many levels, but he loves it as much as us! We try to just pull the seat up to the table and use it as a booster and he says "no, I need my tray!"

Pros: it is super easy to assemble. We basically pulled it out of the box and put it in the chair and tightened a few straps.

It comes and very neutral colors. Ours is a light brown. Matched our red walls at the time, and now matches our tan walls that we've recently painted. Perfect for a couple that isn't going to find out the sex of their baby.

Easy clean up

Easy for the child to crawl in and out of by themselves.

Safe. When my baby was about 6-12 months old, I needed to be able to do speech therapy and "school time" with my older son that has special needs. We could sit at the table and do his work while the baby was strapped in to the high chair with some toys and books in front of him.

Con: this is more a sign of my lack of cleaning abilities, but as your child progresses to solid foods and feeding themselves, they drop stuff and food shimmies in the hole that the safety straps that go between the child's legs come out of. If you forget to wipe this out (its easy to do!!! You don't see it!!!) and you come along later, there is often a pile of grossness under there!

• Safety:

For those who want to save money and space

We got this chair after a recommendation from a family member. When looking at high chairs, some were pretty expensive and we wanted something in our budget. Also while we do have a decent size dining room, adding another piece of furniture into the mix (like a high chair) would have made things seem like a tight fit. We liked the idea of this high chair for the reason that it does save space, and that the baby would be included at meal time. With the high chair it seems as if they are on their own, not quite apart of mealtime. I felt like this chair would include the baby more at mealtime and it definitely does since the chair should match the height of the table you are attaching this to. There are a few downsides to this chair though. First if you have guests, you will be short a chair because the baby will be using one of your dining chairs. Second, babies are messy and in turn the chair they will be attached to will be quite dirty. You will need to make sure to keep up with wiping the chair down so that food doesn't get stuck to your nice dining room chairs. For the price and use though I really like this chair.

• Safety:

Saves space, but slightly inconvenient

We lived in a small house so we did not want a huge high chair. This worked wonderfully when our daughter was small (3-6 months) as it reclined to a comfortable inclination and we could put toys or whatnot on the tray to keep her happy. The washable cover was great, although there are lots of nooks and crannies that could get food smashed inside.

The chair easily attaches to a chair, but is sturdy enough to sit on the floor if needed (we did this at a family event when there were more people than seats and we were eating around a coffee table). As my daughter got older she didn't seem to like the chair as much. Even at the most upright position it is still slightly inclined and it is hard for her to sit up as straight as she would like. Also, the arms are completely fixed and permanent, so they can not be removed. Since the arms prohibit it from scooting under the table, you must use the tray. We ended up buying a booster seat in addition.

Space Saving High Chair by Fisher Price

from Alabaster, AL

I absolutely love this high chair. It has all the features of a full sized high chair without all the bulk. I love the fact that this seat will recline. This is perfect when baby is just beginning to eat solids. I also love how cover is easily removed for cleaning and how the seat will convert into a booster chair when the child out grows the need for a high chair.

Sturdiness
This space saver seat is very sturdy to be a pint sized version of a regular high chair.

The seat is very durable. I have used my seat with 3 different babies and it still out performs any full size high chair.

The design on this chair is very modern and will fit well in any kitchen. There are many different patterns to choose from.

Safety
The seat is strapped to a chair with two separate straps and there is a five point harness to keep baby safe. Another nice feature is there is a wedge that goes between baby's legs to keep them from sliding out of the seat.

This seat is very easy to clean. The cover will completely come off and the entire seat can be wiped down. Another bonus is the tray is dishwasher safe.

• Safety:

The only high chair you need!

We got this high chair because we wanted something smaller that did not take a lot of room in our house--and that is also easy to store later. This is it! It easily fits on a normal chair and is at a good height. I like that you can adjust how high it is, depending on what kind of chair you set it on.

I also like how you can recline the seat when they are a baby, and make it more upright as they grow. And, the removable cover is great for washing. If you are planning to use it as a booster seat, one thing is that the arm rests do not fold down, so it is hard to slide up to some tables. But, otherwise it is great. We also purchased an extra one to keep outside on our patio furniture--we just took the cloth cover off so it wasn't a big deal if it got rained on. It is nice to keep outside so that we don't have to bring the high chair out every time we want to eat outside!