3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

The FP Lights & Sounds Monitor is great for the price

The Fisher Price Lights & Sounds Baby Monitor is a great monitor for the price. The base is corded, so it must be plugged in - but the cord is quite lengthy so it was able to reach to the top of the dresser and also to the top of the bookshelf. This allowed me to use it in various places in the room, depending on how I wanted it arranged. The base also has a night light feature, that glows a soft yellow, that can be turned on or off by pressing the light. I have not used this feature, since I have another night light in the room, but it does look very comforting and does provide adequate light in the middle of the night when I tested it out. The unit came with two handsets, which is convenient so I don't have to run around the house looking for one all the time. The handset has a volume control, which is quite good. I don't have to turn it up very high to hear my baby. In fact, if I do turn the volume up to the higher end I can hear every breath he takes, and he is across the room from the monitor! The handset also has lights that activate when sound is made in the room. This is handy, since I can turn the volume way down and still be able to tell if my baby is awake. If he makes small noises only a few light up, but if he cries out, they will light all the way. Overall, this is a good monitor with great features. It also has two channels (A and B). Our neighbors also use a monitor, so occasionally there is some interference, but only on channel A, so we leave ours on B and don't have any problems.

Listen to Your Baby and the Neighbors at the Same Time

Anyone who has infants and young toddlers likely has a baby monitor, both for reasons of safety and for the peace of mind a baby monitor brings. Monitors range widely in terms of price and capabilities and one of the more budget- priced devices available is the **Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor**, an inexpensive way to make sure your baby is safe and sound. **Monitor Commentary:** Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor is a simple device that consists of two main pieces: A Transmitter and a Receiver. The transmitter for the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor has an on/off switch and a channel switch that offers two settings: Channel "A" and Channel "B". A few small openings at the top of the transmitter act as a microphone to pick up the sounds. The receiver has identical channel selectors and on/off switch, but with a few more features. The on/off switch is also the volume control on the receivers. Above this switch is a panel that features four arcs of light. As sounds take place in the baby's room, the receiver picks up sounds and arcs of red light gradually light up, starting from the bottom. One arc of red light indicates a small amount of sound; two arcs indicate a louder sound; etc., all the way up to four arcs of light, which indicates the loudest sounds.  With the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor, you get a very simple, no- frills baby monitor that lets you know if any disruptions occur in your baby's place of rest. Although simple, Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor offers some good qualities that make it a worthwhile addition to the household with infants and young toddlers. The best feature of the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor is the one that matters most to the majority of parents: Its ability to pick up and transmit even the slightest sounds. Your baby can simply turn over in the crib and take a deep breath, and the monitor will respond. Depending on how loud the volume is turned up, concerned parents will be able to hear these and other sounds. Since most of these sounds are not necessary to hear, I tend to turn the volume a little bit lower. Otherwise, the sound would wake me up every hour.  Because the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor uses lights and sounds, parents can use either one as a means to detect sounds. With the speaker, one can hear the sounds as they are made and this is the main reason people purchase baby monitors in the first place. But the lights are also helpful, for they indicate the intensity of the noise and they work even if the volume is turned completely off. The lights allow a parent who is awake to monitor a room without using the sound control. By watching the lights, parents will know if any sounds are coming from the room.  Does the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor have any drawbacks? Yes, it certainly does and the most annoying among them is the static. Even when there is nothing going on, you still get static and it is especially loud if the volume control is turned too high. Sometimes, you can reposition the receiver and/or transmitter of the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor and reduce the static. Changing the channel can also help. But you can't do much with the antennae (it is flexible, but it doesn't extend or move) and there is almost no way to get completely static- free reception. Yet another potential problem with the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor is its ability to sometimes pickup the sounds from other people in the neighborhood. I, like many other who own this device, found out about this unique quality by accident. Suddenly one day, I heard the voice of an unknown person coming from the monitor. My first reaction was fear, because I thought there was a stranger in my little girl's bedroom. But once I calmed down, I realized there was no such problem. The sounds were coming from another house. It is nice that the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor picks up lots of sounds, but this is not necessarily what I had in mind when I learned that this monitor offered a large range. Some may find this feature amusing, but you need to keep in mind that if you can hear them, that means they can hear you.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Babies need to be monitored and the Fisher Price Sounds ‘N Lights Monitor offers an inexpensive way to keep an eye/ear on your infants and/or young toddlers. It doesn't offer anything special and it does deliver plenty of annoying static, but it gets the job done. Battery and AC dual power, sounds/lights combination, and the ability to pick up the slightest sounds make this a baby monitor worth considering.

This monitor didn't last long in our house.

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

I tried the Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights baby monitor and was not impressed with it. There are a few things I like about it, one being that it has a night light. That is very helpful especially with a younger baby you are going to in the middle of the night. It takes batteries or plugs in which is nice. The sound was okay, not ever crystal clear for me, though. The thing I especially did not like about it was that I dropped the receiver one time and now it doesn't work as well at all. The antenna got crooked and now the connection is bad in it. I would expect a baby monitor to be a bit more durable than that, especially considering busy moms often have their hands full and may drop things! I would not be able to recommend this monitor based on the fact that it did not hold up past a few months for me. I want a monitor that can take a small hit but keep working, and this one did not do that.

Lasted just a few weeks. :(

• Sound/Video Clarity:
  • Interference:
  • Portability:

Don't bother!

from Harrisburg, PA

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

When I had my first baby, I registered for a fisher price baby monitor. It wasn't long before the monitor broke and no longer worked. I contacted the company for a replacement, but since they weren't making them anymore they sent me a voucher to purchase this one.

Well, this one works terribly as well!! The base is fine - it is nice to have a little nightlight. But on the handheld part, the switch for the volume is nearly impossible to turn - you have to use your fingernail. Also, it doesn't stand up well on its own as the wire connection makes it fall over. In addition, you have to wiggle the wire just right, and then try to get it to stand up and still be wiggled correctly, or else the connection fails completely. I'm always afraid I won't realize the connection was lost and I just can't hear my crying child! If I ever had to purchase another mo it or, I would DEFINITELY stay away from fisher price and go with another brand!

• Sound/Video Clarity:
  • Interference:
  • Portability:

Best baby monitor out there.

from Somerset, KY

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

When I was pregnant with my daughter I won a free fisher price lights, and sounds baby monitor. The baby monitor was so good that I could leave my baby with my roommates, and go across the road to my moms, and the baby monitor would reach. I would definitely pay good money for a baby monitor like this. The sound also comes in nice, and clear!!! I thought the neatest thing about the baby monitor was the lights. It lights up when the baby even makes the slightest sound.

Spend more money - get better monitor

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

Fisher Price Lights and Sounds is not a very good baby monitor.  It looks very nice, but does not work very well.  Lots of static and picks up radio stations.  You can hear everything else but your baby crying.  I would recommend that you invest a little bit more money and get a better quality monitor.

Fisher price lights and sound monitor

from Parkersburg, WV

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

I boughtthis product ofr my first child. The interference is so bad there are times i can not hear my child.  I bought this to sleep with since my childs room is upstairs. The radio noise and static make it impossible.  This product is a waste of money! I returned it!

Spend the extra money for the nicer model

from Mc Kees Rocks, PA

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

This monitor has a lot of static. I've only been able to plug it in to certain outlets, as to try to minimize the problem. Also, it has alot of interference when my cell phone rings. If our neighbors are on the same channel, we can here them talking. I would recommend spending the extra money on the nicer model.

If you want all static and nothing else, then this is for you.

from Logan, UT

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

After having our second child, and in a much bigger house this time around, we decided we needed to invest in a baby monitor.  I bought this one, because the price was right, but once I brought it home, I realized why it was so cheap.  All we could ever get on it was static, that or the neighbor's (they have a baby monitor), or the radio.  I tried both channels, I tried putting the monitor and receiver in different areas of the house, nothing worked.  I finally packed up back up and returned them--they were not worth the hassle.  It has been much easier to not have a baby monitor, then to try to listen over the static and noise for your baby's cry.This is definitely not worth buying, invest in a different brand, but not this one.

this product is ok

from Harrisburg, PA

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

This product works but if you are a new mom I would not recommend it. When I first brought my son home I was constantly running up and down the stairs because I could not here him through the static and I kept hearing other sounds on the moniter that were not coming from my sons room. I have to have the moniter in very specific parts of the house in order for it to work properly. I would like to invest in a new one but do not have the money.

one of the best

from Lake Mills, WI

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

I purchased this after the monitor that I have recieved for a baby shower gift started acting up, and I really like it first it was afordable compared to some other ones, and second it doesn't have a lot of static if any most of the time like the other brand I used to have.  this one is fairly clear and picks up even the faintest sounds which is nice.

We got the 2 receiver version & are very happy with it.

from Robertsdale, AL

Comments about Fisher-Price Sounds 'n Lights Baby Monitor:

When we put our son in his own room we constantly wanted to check on him. This monitor set has saved us from many sleepless nights. We can hear him breathing, turning, talking in his sleep, etc. It has been wonderful. We have not had any problems with picking up phone conversations. There is feedback when our cell phone rings nearby, but this also happens with radios, etc, so it was not a surprise. The volume works well, as does the sensitivity of the light display in comparission to the sounds being picked up. We probably keep ours on for 15 hours out of the day.