Other Kids' Electronics:
Fisher-Price
Fisher-Price Smart Cycle

Fisher-Price Smart Cycle

Finally!!! An indoor toy that gets my child moving.

Besides running around the house, there aren't many toys that give my son the exercise he needs indoors on those cold winter days when we really can't go outside.  He loves riding the bike, and at 3, learned how the games worked pretty quickly.  He still doesn't quite get the hang of "steering" for the racing game, but at this point, that doesn't really matter.  He's being active, learning numbers and letters and having fun.  What more could a parent want from a toy?

Good way to keep them active.... sort of

With the focus in todays world being obese children and laziness, I instantly grabbed onto the concept of the Fisher Price Smart Cycle.  Maybe the timing wasn't right.  Maybe it was just the toy itself, but my 2-year-old who LOVED to ride bikes and my 5-year-old who was the same way, did not seem to enjoy this as much as I had hoped.  The games seem pretty much the same with different characters.  The goal is to ride this bike, which seems to go pretty slow for the amount you pedal.  While you do learn your ABC's and 123's, I find it lacking in other things.  The graphics really are not the greatest.  They seem to be very grainy.  With the cost of the machine itself and the cost of the games, I would really expect a little bit more out of this system.  The first model we had did end up breaking and thankfully, we had purchased the extended warranty.  The newer version seems to be built a little bit better.... ie, the boys are no longer able to do wheelies, etc.  The bike is not one of the best items they have, but it is something they will pull out every now and again.

Overall, the bike is eh..... not the worst thing in the world, but could be better.

taught my kids how to pedal safely

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

The Smartcycle connects easily to your tv and is easy to start. I found this is a great tool in teaching my kids to pedal just like a real bike, but feel like it is the right size for three and up, but the controls were a little advance (buttons on the console, buttons on the handlebars, a joystick and pedals) there are so many different ways to play that sometimes my kids did not know if they were supposed to pedal or use the joystick. I feel like too many of the games use solely the joystick, I though the point of this thing was to keep our kids active while educating them. The games are neat in that they have my kids favorite characters, but they cannot change the games themselves as you really have to push hard to get the cartridges in there. The graphics are horrible, very pixelated and stiff. All in all, I do not know if this was worth the money and then the money invested on the individual games, but my kids do love their smartcycle and want to play it often.

entertains them while getting physical activity

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

My twins got one of these and I love that the games come with their favorite characters, but the graphics are very outdated and pixelated. This taught my kids to pedal, which I love so when we are ready to ride a bike at least we have that part down. I wish there was a plug in option as the batteries get expensive after a while

Great game!

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

My son, who is four, loves to ride bikes, loves cars, or anything of the sort. So when I bought him this Fisher-Price Smart Cycle he was amazed. I like that it turns a video game into an active game. The only downside is that it was a little difficult to assemble. Otherwise, a great product and worth the money.

the kids seem to really love this toy but not much challenge

from Sierra Vista, AZ

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

Purchased the smart cycle to help promote exercise espcially for winter time when it's too nasty to play outside.  Kids love it but I would like to see more challenge to ththe price seems fair for e games so the kids will stay interested longer and use it  more.  the assembly was so easy directions were clear and complete.

Great for learning and excercise

from Encino, CA

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

I bought this for my grandson and he loves it. Keeps him busy and active on cold days when he can't run and play and ride his bike outside. And he learns at the same time!  THe only problem is making the making him get of it and share with his little friends and cousins!

We like the Fisher-Price Smart Cycle!

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

My boys really enjoyed the Fisher-Price Smart Cycle! They loved the concept of riding the bicycle and playing a game at once. I found the graphics and games to be rudementary and much the same however. Of course, the kids didn't seem to mind that. It is hard to store in our small house. Also, something like the Wii is much more space efficient at keeping them active. All in all, the kids really loved it though.

smart cycle is an if.

from Sandusky, OH

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

while looking at the smart cycle you think what an amazing toy my child will love to pettle and learn in a fun way. but then you have to assemble the thing. the bottom peices don't fit together as well as the picture shows. it doeesn't even fit together the way it shows. you kinda just have to guess at it. after getting it together, my son didnt really show any intrest in it beside turing the power on and off. I understand its a kids toy but the graphics and sounds are enough to give anyone a headach. then you can never find any of the games to go with it. it seams like they were every where and as soon as he got it we couldnt find any of them. the games are really repetive too. you drive down a road and run into what ever number letter or shape that it tells you to. it doesn't make you start over or even tell u if your wrong if you run into an incorrect number. it only says if your right. this very confusing game i would not recomend for anyone, its just something to take up space in the room.

The Fisher Price Smart Cycle is a fun way to get them moving!

from Melbourne, FL

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

I honestly get worried about the growing problem of childhood obesity so when I saw the smart cycle I looked at it as a way for my boys to get physical activity and learn while having lots of fun! I jumped on the chance to buy it.

I love that there are many different cartridges to choose from. If your child likes a character then that character will get them hooked to the smart cycle and they will be able to learn from the games. They learn colors, shapes, letters, strategy, so many things. They think it is just fun and don't realize they are getting exercise and learning.

The only negative I have with the smart cycle are the cartridges. They are very sensitive and my boys are not able to change cartridges without help because they usually have to have them blown on and put in and out and wiggled around until they finally work. That gets frustrating because it doesn't seem to just work. I have a frustrating time with it and I am a pretty laid back person.

Good way to keep them active.... sort of

from Glens Falls, NY

very pleased

from Salisbury, MD

Comments about Fisher-Price Smart Cycle:

My daughter fell in love with this bike when he saw it under the tree Christmas morning. All she said was 'I pedal I pedal' As far as the games go my daughter loves them, she is constantly switching them out. I love how it comes with the keyring thing to put the games on, it's very convenient for her being 3. The only thing I was not expecting was the quality of the graphics..... very oldschool... can see all the lines and blockiness of the characters. I've discovered that he wants to play the Wii we have because she likes the way the characters look.

I searched everywhere for the perfect gift for a girl that means a lot to me. She turned three in November but is extremely smart and has a ton of potential so I wanted to encourage her learning as much as possible. This is a great toy to help the children learn while they are also having fun. She is learning, having fun, and also improving her coordination. Good toy for sure.