3.3
K7376, N3428
Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty

Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty

3.3

Potty time is party time!

My son is three and just venturing into potty training land. We have purchased a few items to help the process along (although I am convinced that you are ready when you are ready!) We have the small seat that sits on top of the large toilet, the large toilet itself and then two small pottys. My son definitely prefers the **Royal Potty** over all the other options. I suspect it is a fairly personal choice, but he likes that he gets instant feedback from the potty. It makes noise letting him know that he was successful in his attempt. Generally, I am not a fan of having him use something other than the real potty (you can understand why!), but if this is my only option, I will take it!

Good potty seat

We bought the Royal potty before we started potty training our first child. I thought that the music would be a nice enticement to use the potty, but it tended to scare her instead when the music would start while she was sitting on the potty.

She liked the music when she was not using the potty, in fact once I caught her spitting in the potty to make the music start! But while she was sitting on the potty and actually using it, then the music was scary.

I took out the batteries and successfully trained our first child. The removable potty seat that fits on an adult toilet and the fact that the potty seat is also a step stool is a great asset to further potty training and acclimating your child to the adult toilet.

A year later, I stopped using the potty as a step stool for my oldest and started using it to train my second child. My second child is more outgoing than her sister so I put the batteries back into the potty in hopes that the music would encourage her but found out that the sound or more specifically the sensors were not working correctly any more. When the child would use the potty there was no sound until I pushed the button to make it play music. Also at random times now the potty would suddenly play music when no one was around, so I have removed the batteries once again.

Other than the music, it has been an excellent potty chair, potty seat, and step stool!

Potty Potty!

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

We got this for our youngest son! Honestly we used it more for the stool then we used the potty portion. I found that it didn't clean very easily and got grimy really fast because of all cracks in it! Also if your child isn't careful when sitting on it it will pinch the back of their legs. It did encourage the use of the big potty because of this but still not in a fun way :/

I wish it were bigger

from Highland, MI

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

I love this Potty, but my son is special needs and is older, therfore he doesnt fit on it really well, but the bigger potty scares him. He loves the music, but it goes off at random times. Many times this is in the middle of the night and scares us all half to death. Being that he is a bigger boy he cannot aksways make sure the pee pee is tucked under which can lead to messes. I think that I would like this product better with a typical and younger child.

First Potty

from Snellville, GA

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

I bought this potty in 2004 for my 3 year old son who was learning to go potty.  I bought this potty because it was small and easy to store.  My son hated the big potty and this made him feel more secure.  I loved that it came with the book.   To try and get my son to be patient enough to sit on the potty we would read the book and sing songs over and over.  When I had my twins in 2004 I used this potty again.  Once again my kids loved it.  I think it mostly the size is what they like.  Also, it is very stable, no tipping over.  I love that it is super easy to clean and disinfect.  The music was great and the toddlers love it.  The only problem I have with the music is that sometimes it comes on when the child has not gone potty.  This makes the parent have to check and see if the child went potty and that requires the child to get up and sit back down.  Some times I had trouble getting my toddlers to sit back down on the potty because they had thought they went already.  Overall, I would recomend this potty to any new parent potty training.

Potty time is party time!

from Chicago, IL

slightly annoying potty!

from Newark, DE

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

When my son first started potty training, the "big potty" scared him, and this portable potty seat was just his size. We were able to put it in the family room to get him used to just sitting on it. Now that he's been going potty regularly for a few months, though, we don't use it at all. It is SO much easier to just use a potty seat on top of the regular toilet. You don't have to clean it as much, and cleaning it is not as much of a chore.

It does play music when you "go", but it also plays music for no reason at all, and has scared the daylights out of me several times! It's nice that it folds into a step stool. The guard fell off a lot for us, which was annoying. The guard is VERY necessary if you have a boy.

All in all, if you can borrow a potty from a friend or relative to get the potty training ball rolling, I'd suggest that, and then buy a potty seat instead of shelling out the money for a potty like this.

Kids love it, but it's a pain to keep clean!

from Lewisberry, PA

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

We got this potty chair when our first child was approaching the potty training stage. We found the Fisher Price Royal Potty, thought our little one would like the sounds, and purchased it. Since then, our first one has completed potty training and our second one is going through it now. And the potty seat is still going strong.

Things we like about the potty: it's a great height for little ones, the lid closes so it can be used as a stool, it has a "splash-guard" to put up for boys, the seat part is removable and can be place on a "big potty" to make the transition easier, and it plays a tune when the child is successful.

Things I really don't like about it: first, the splash-guard falls down constantly, which is a real pain. I'm always having to make sure it's up so we don't end up with a mess all over the floor. Second, the removable splash guard means that there are extra areas to get wet and dirty, making the potty harder to keep clean. Third, the music sometimes plays randomly (not sure if that's a battery issue, but apparently others have had the same problem) and doesn't always play when the child goes in the potty.

It's a good potty and my kids have always liked it, but there are definitely some things about it that I would change and would make it a much better potty.

We love this little potty

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

We have had 2 of these potty chairs.  The first one was the blue one that we bought about 3 years ago and then passed it down to a friend, the second one was the pink one which we are currently using.  I like that it has grips on the bottom so it doesn't skid.  I also like the fact that you can take the seat part off and use it on a regular potty (you will eventually want them to go in the real toilet once they can poop in the potty - a lot cleaner!).  One thing about the blue one was that the royal sounds (it plays majestic music once they pee or poop in the potty) would go off randomly throughout the night without anyone touching it.  That was disturbing and caused us to disconnect the sound part of it.  We have not had that problem with the pink one for some reason.  Maybe the blue one's sensors were ultra sensitive.  My daughter has loved her potty.  We also like that it changes to a step stool once you have them just using the seat part.  Multifunctional!

Fisher Price Royal Potty is a royal waste of money

from Elkmont, AL

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

The Fisher Price Royal Potty, in my opinion, does not deserve the title of royalty! There were several major cons that caused me to stop using this potty pretty quickly.

1) The music from the potty was loud, annoying, and scared my child more than it excited him.

2)The sensor that causes this seat to play music when used seems to be extremely sensitive. If even a drop of water was left in the potty it would continually trumpet it royal fanfare, sometimes even waking my child up in the middle of the night!

3) It was difficult to clean and pretty quickly seemed too dirty to use.

4) Once my child began to use the potty independently, she would also move it and try to use it as a step-stool which caused quite a mess!! While it may SOUND like a good idea to have a potty that is also a step stool, trust me, it isn't!! Spend a few extra bucks and get a separate step stool!!

5) By the time both of my kids were serious about potty training, they wanted to use the "big" potty and not a little kid one anyway.

Royal Potty is Royal Pain!

from Abingdon, IL

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

I was hoping that the potty sounds would entice my potty trainer to get excited to use the potty. They might have- if they would have worked for more than a couple of days. Nothing I tried could make the sounds work. I ended up keeping the potty and just using it as a regular potty without the bells and whistles. It is easy to clean and easy to dump. It isn't too heavy which is nice when you have to carry it along somewhere. It is bulkier then the plain potties so it takes up more space. I would recommend this potty for those who don't care about the music and extras on this potty. I think that a regular plain potty is much more budget friendly and there are no worries about the extras working. I was very disappointed that it didn't work as advertised, but I'm not sure if it was just a random problem or if it is much more widespread. Not worth the money I paid for it without the music working.

A Basic Potty Works Just as Well!

from Vero Beach, FL

Comments about Fisher-Price Royal Step Potty:

We purchased a Fisher Price Royal Potty when our older son was two years old, and had signs he might be ready to try.  I thought that the cool design and music would be an enticement to using the potty, but it did not turn out that way.  I do like the design - it is sturdy, with a smooth edge, and is a good height.  It also can become a stool but we never used it that way.  While the overall design is good, the music feature was a bust for us.  The sensor did not work well; it would not play music most of the time our son used it - it was very sporadic.  Also, my son did not like the music and found it disconcerting to hear "da da da da da DAAA!"  We ended up taking out the batteries within a week of purchase.  We never used the accompanying guard for boys; it made the potty too small and much harder for him to sit down - I was afraid he would hurt his parts getting up and down.  I don't think the guard is necessary anyhow...we didn't have much problem with overspray.