View more baby swings

Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing

Pros

Cons

• Features:

Moments of calm for my baby with reflux

Initially I had hoped to avoid buying a swing since we were on a budget and cramped for space, but our daughter's reflux threw a kink in our plans.  The swing helped soothe her until we got the GERD under control, and also allowed her to rest upright instead of on her back.  This swing was the only place besides my arms that seemed to allow her to relax.

So, we went into the swing-buying business rather unprepared, completely sleep-deprived and desperately hoping that we would end up with a quality swing.  We weren't disappointed, although of course there are things that could be improved.  I'll start with the negatives, although overall we're all very happy with our purchase.

First, it seemed quite noisy. My husband and I got used to the racket and my daughter never seemed bothered, but when we first got it I initially thought it was broken.  Nope, just noisy.  The other main problem for us was that it seemed to take up a lot of space in our apartment (though a bonus is that it is pretty compact when not in use, so once my daughter outgrew it we were able to store it).  Also, at times the "legs" needed to be spread out so it wouldn't rock.  I'm not sure if that is a design issue or we didn't put it together well but it didn't end up being a huge problem...I would just make sure they were spread as far as they could go each time we put her in it.  Overall I felt the design was stable, although perhaps a little too stable since it was difficult for me to change the seat position from upright to reclined.  It was nigh impossible for me to push the little springs in if I had fingernails.  Finally, it did use up batteries each month but I was expecting it to be worse.

One suggestion -- not exactly a negative -- would be to change the design of the belt.  It seemed to work fine although I preferred the belt of our aquarium bouncer that had more of a sturdy strap between the legs. I'm not sure if that would rub if it were implemented in a swing or not, but I think I would have felt better psychologically.  I

The positives, though, far outweigh the negatives.  Our daughter loved it.  The main thing that sold me on this swing was that it seemed sturdier than other models in the store, and I loved the adjustable seat and the fact it swung in two directions. Our daughter preferred the side-to-side, but there was really no way of verifying that beforehand.  The music wasn't as annoying as 'baby music' typically is and was fairly well done.  I loved the mobile's soft lights and ocean effects; they captured our daughter's attention and seemed to soothe her if she was upset and I couldn't hold her.

I was a bit annoyed at first to read in the user's manual that the way to slow down the speed of the swing with newborns was to hang blankets over the side -- I was expecting to be able to modify the speed with the button at all times.  After reflecting, though, I realized that this was necessary in order for the swing to handle the increased weight gain of babies later on.  I would always cover her with a blanket, anyway, so if I felt the need to slow down the speed, I'd just hang a bit over the side and it worked well.  Another bonus about the speed regulation was the 'standby' position (can't remember what it's called in the manual) -- I think it saved batteries for us.  In standby mode I could push her with my hand and it would swing for several minutes before gently coming to a halt.  Once she was asleep, instead of turning it off completely (which managed to wake her up somehow), I'd put it on standby and she'd sleep through the decreased momentum.

I guess the highest praise for the swing is that it was considered essential gear for our vacation.  We packed the thing up and hauled it with us on a 7-hour-drive to be with the in-laws and it was so completely worth it.

eh...

I would not recommend this swing. It's way too fast on the lowest setting, so we didn't get to use it as early as we had thought we would. While it's cute, the speed and the fact that it makes a creaking noise the entire time it's on were serious downfalls. I searched for the perfect swing while pregnant and thought this was it. I wish I had looked even harder! My baby loved the fish theme and that's great as a gender neutral design, but it's just not my favorite. I would rather have a papasan type swing or something else more suitable for the early days. We waited months to put the baby in because we were scared of the speed! Would she be safe? Was it too fast? The music that plays was very soothing though. That was one benefit. I also liked that it could be plugged into the wall and (maybe) run on batteries. I can't remember for sure, but it seems like there were two options for it working.

Best Swing Out There

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I had a regular front-to-back swing for my first baby, but after seeing how much she loved the side-to-side motion of my sister's cradle swing and seeing that she would actually fall asleep in it while she didn't fall asleep in mine, I knew I had to get one for my next baby. I found an older version of this at a garage sale which meant it didn't have a wall adaptor which would have been nice (the new ones all do so that's awesome!). My son was a difficult baby to say the least and for almost 6 months, he would only fall asleep if we bounced/rocked him for over an hour or if we put him in the swing. Needless to say, this swing got a lot of use! It's still holding up great and we've since used it for our third baby, lent it to a friend to use for her baby, and will be using it for our fourth child as well. It's easy to switch to the front-to-back motion from the side-to-side and vice versa. The lights and music are very soothing and really catch the baby's attention. I recommend this swing to everyone I know who has a baby!

eh...

• Features:

Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing is a durable swing.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

The Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing is a good swing. Though it is pricey, I can honestly say it's durable. It has personally lasted me 4 kids. My friends have used it too? Overall has gone through 6 children and is still in good condition. The sounds are not as crisp, but overall, no problems. The songs are pleasant and the lighted, spinning mobile definitely keeps their attentions.The seat is comfortable and adjusts to a reclining position. The cover comes off conveniently and is machine washable. You can also adjust the swing to move side to side or front to back. The swing is advertised to hold up to 25 pounds, but it can definitely hold more. My toddlers have taken turns after watching their younger siblings and it held them without any problems! There are a couple of drawbacks. It is on the large side since the base is so wide. Also, it takes a D batteries which are expensive. When the batteries start to die, the songs sound a little scary. Also the most gentle setting is not that gentle. It's a little fast so would probably be better for a baby older than a month. Definitely too fast for newborns. Overall a good swing that has stood the test of time and 6 babies!

Versatility
can swing side to side or front to back. seat also reclines

went through 6 babies.

Safety
has seat belt but tray makes it safer.

Features
lighted spinning mobile keeps baby's attention. songs are pleasant.

• Features:

Won't say it is a must have for baby, but it was useful.

from West Palm Beach, FL

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I won't say that a baby swing is a must have, but it is a very convenient thing to have.  It is especially great for those babies that give you trouble with sleep or when you need a few minutes free and you need to keep the baby occupied and safe.  I used it frequently for my first child who was a horrible sleeper and would wake up frequently and just drive me crazy all night long.  I often put his swing next to my bed and put him in it just so I could get some sleep at night (what is probably not recommended but I was desperate).  It not only did a great job lulling him to sleep, but I swear he could not even wake up on his own in that thing.  I always ended up stopping it so we would wake up!  Having said all this, I rarely used the swing for my second child except for when I needed her to stay put and preoccupied so I could have a few free moments (for things like cooking, dishes, etc).  The babies did seem to like watching the fish swing around and the music it played.  Best of all, you could always clip on other items to the mobile if you wanted. Overall, I think this swing is money well spent.  The swing would go back and forth or side-to-side. I never found use for the side-to-side function with my kids, but maybe some babies are different. The mobile and music do stop after a while, which I never seemed to be a problem as my babies were put to sleep by then.  It had a good range of speeds.  It did make an annoying clicking sound while it rocked.

Great Swing

from Vero Beach, FL

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I purchase the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Cradle n' Swing for our first son, and it worked great for both son #1 and son #2 - sold at a garage sale still working perfectly!  I looked at a lot of swings, and this one seemed to have the best features for the money.  It is not too heavy - fairly easy to move from room to room - and doesn't take up too much room.  The best feature is the two-position swinging - either side-to-side or back-and-forth.  Side-to-side seems to work best for newborns, and then they transition to back-and-forth.  The music is a nice feature, but I don't know that it was very effective for my children.  The mobile is nice to look at, but again I don't think by children paid much attention to it.  It's just a nice cozy seat wtih a good swinging action.  It is great to have in the kitchen - I would put my baby in it while we had dinner...seemed to be good for at least twenty minutes.  It seemed unkind to keep them in there swinging for much longer, and my children didn't seem to sleep in the swing, but entertaining for short periods!

Both babies loved it!

from Chicopee, MA

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I got this swing in 2006 for my first baby and loved it! Was super easy to put together and folded up for storage! Then when I had my son in 2009 I pulled it back out for him and started up with no problems!! My only thing I wish is that it came with a plug, we went through dozens of batteries!

Love that is swings in two different directions!

from Rincon, GA

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I have used the Ocean Wonders swing with two of my children and they both enjoyed it tremendously.  The seat has two different positions, so you can put a very young baby in the swing and recline it back, or you can have an older baby sit up more.  This swing has lights and spinning fish above the baby's head for him to look at.  There are a variety of sounds you can choose from -- music, ocean waves, or falling rain.  The sounds do stop working after about 10 minutes, so you have to go back and reset them.  The best feature of this swing, by far, is its ability to swing in two directions -- front to back or side to side.  This keeps things interesting for the baby -- when my baby would get tired of swinging one direction, I would just switch him to the other direction and he would stay content for a while longer.  While this is a great swing overall, there are a few down sides.  The spinning fish broke and stopped working after I had had the swing for a while.  Also, the music which plays is kind of irritating and gets on your nerves after a while.  The swing is quite large, so unless you have a big space to put it, you might want to look for a smaller model.

calms my fussy baby

from Christiansburg, VA

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

This is a great swing. It has the front to back and the side to side swinging motions. It also has a mobile that moves and it lights up and it plays music. It has all kinds of different sounds. It has eight different speeds. My youngest daughter is six weeks old. She loves the side to side motion , but dose not really care for the front to back , ( classic swing ) , motion. The only real down side is that it does not have a power adapter so that you can plug it into an outlet, so you should stock up on plenty of D batteries.

Not a fan

from Woodinville, WA

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

I bought the swing because of the raving reviews I saw on the web. When my daughter was a few weeks' old, she was very fussy at night. I tried to put her on the swing, hope it will soothe her. But no luck. She ketp crying and crying, not paying attention a little bit of the lights and music on the swing.

When she was a few month old, she still did not enjoy the music and swing. At first she was terrified to sit there, so I let the swing sit still while playing music only. She would look at the aquarium and changing lights for a few minutes and soon became impatient. Even when she get used to the swing later, she still would not sit there for more than 5 minutes. In fact, she is more satisfied when I hold her in a rocking chair singing lullabies to her than staying in the swing.

It might just be my daughter, but this toy to me is a total waste of money.

This is the must have swing!

from Grants Pass, OR

Comments about Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Cradle 'n Swing:

We had three different swings and this one was by far the best. The side to side motion is perfect for little babies and the seat was plush and seemed comfy. The music is soothing and includes ocean wave and rain sounds, not at all annoying. And babies love the spinning fish mobile and lights. This was one of my very favorite baby items ever!