Other Learning Toys:
Learning Toys
Fisher-Price
Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank

Fisher-PriceFisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank

Deceptively simple in Appearance, Totally Brilliant in Design.

I saw the Fisher Price Learning Piggy Bank on the shelf many many times when my oldest was young.  I thought it was cute, but didn't really get what the big deal was.  Other toys attracted my attention for him.

And then, at the age of 2, he was diagnosed with a developmental delay and began Early Intervention.  He was assigned a teacher who came to the house every week.  The first week, she brought Piggy.  It was love at first sight.

There are so many brilliant yet deceptively simple aspects to this toy.  The most obvious is the fine motor and hand / eye coordination required to get the coins into the Piggy's coin slot.  This is pretty much the first skill mastered with this toy.  And then the child learns to ask for "open" to get him open and get the coins out.  Eventually they can open it on their own (another fine motor skill!)

And then there is the color matching.  Each coin has a color match.  So you can put out two different large coins, and hand the child a small coin of one color.  When they match the coins, they get to put them both into Piggy.  And learn the colors along the way.  Got it down?  increase it to a choice of three.  Then four.  Eventually all five.  You're matching colors!

Take a close look at the coins.  They have animals on them.  The big coins have the mommy animals and the small ones have the baby animals.  What are the animals names?  What sounds do they make?  Match the baby to it's mommy.  Ask 'who says ...?' and the winner goes into Piggy.

And the counting.  One feature of the Piggy is to count the coins as they go into the slot.  But you can count them before putting them in.  As they go in.  Ask how many left.

So after watching the teacher play with my son week after week with Piggy, doing different things each time, and watch his attention stick (big attention problems!), I realized that we needed to own Piggy.

It went on my youngest's Christmas LIst that year, and when it was opened, they both fought over it.  They are now 2 and 3 years old and it holds their attention.  Their 5 year old cousin loves it.  They love to push his nose and make him sneeze.  It's just a deceptively simple yet totally Brilliant toy.

Cute idea, but kind of boring

I purchased the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn: Learning Piggy Bank for my 16 month old daughter for Christmas. She loves toys like this so I thought it would be a huge hit. It has been about one month since Christmas and this toy has barely even been touched. My three year old loves it however. Maybe just not good for a one year old. I do like the idea of the toy, you put the coins in and it teaches counting, the coins are very bright and would be excellent for teaching a child their colors. Plus they are big enough and easy for small hands to grasp. The Fisher Price Laugh and Learn: Learning Piggy Bank also plays music, but not a big variety. Overall this toy is kind of boring. Maybe in the future they could recreate the idea and incorporate more learning features, more songs and more activities to make it more appealing to young children. The Learning Piggy Bank also has a cute little button nose that you can press for songs. That is probably the only thing my daughter ever does, is occasionally press it's little nose.

A cute toy that my kids loved!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

When my kids were little they absolutely loved this toy. It was one of their favorites. I loved watching them smile as they would stick each plastic coin in and hear a coin dropping sound, music or counting (depending on what you set it on). It was nice because when they finished dropping all the plastic coins in they could open the plastic door on the side themselves to get them back out again. Then they would do it all over. It promotes fine motor skills. It kept them busy and having fun. You can also push the nose in front of the pig and it makes noises. It is a medium sized toy and is very strong and sturdy. It lasted us for years before we put it in a garage sale. I was sad to see it go because my kiddos loved it and it brought back memories. I would recommend getting this for your own kids or giving it as a gift. I would buy it again for someone else. In the years we owned this nothing ever broke on it and it worked great!

Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Piggy Bank is loads of fun.

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

My kids have truly enjoyed this little piggy bank. We got ours at a yard sale, it didn't come with the coins, but it doesn't matter if you have the coins or not, you can put real change in the piggy and it still makes noises no matter what you put it in. My daughter loves the music that it plays, she'll dance and sing along. It also is a wonderful way to teach your child to count. I recommend this toy to any young child.

Great toy!

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

I bought this for my son for Christmas this year. He is two years old and after seeing all the other toys he was given, I thought this one may of been to basic for him. I was wrong. He loves this toy. It's sturdy, easy to use and you can play with it with or without the music. It is great for fine motor skills as well. I love that this goes back to being a basic toy (too many have so many bells and whistles these days) and is very cost friendly too. Love it!

A fun counting toy

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

We love this bank. I had never seen it before and my sister brought it home. It makes all sorts of noises and songs. The coins are big enough for little hands to grasp and put in the bank. The colors are bright and cheerful. This will be a bank we will hang onto for our grandchildren!

Great for toddlers

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

I bought this toy for my son about 3 years ago (he was 1) and at that time, he was having trouble with counting, speech, and motor skills. This was one of the many toys that really helped. He has a very short attention span, but when he loved this toy. He would play with it for awhile and it really helped his motor skills and he started to learn how to count. It was amazing. Plus this toy is so durable and sturdy.

Great toy!

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

My kids love this toy! Using this toy, we are teaching them how to identify colors and count! Financial management is a really important lifeskill that my husband and I want to instill in our children, so this is our way of starting this. By daughter loves the noises it makes! It is really durable, with my daughter having thrown it multiple times without cracking or breaking it!

Singing play piggy bank

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

My daughter loved this piggy bank. It was easy to use throughout toddler years and was great for hand eye coordination. She was able to easily manipulate the large chunky coins and open the trap door by herself without much needed assistance. Sings cute songs that don't becoming overly annoying like most kid toys.

My two year old loves it

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

This is the perfect toy for any child. My two year old loves to play with it all the time or carry around the money. Its great for teaching motor skills also helps introduced them to the idea of money and its main function of counting. Its fun for her it sings, counts, and has neat little sound effects for her enjoyment.

cute toy

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

My daughters really liked this toy. When you press the nose or put a coin in it talks or plays music depending on what setting you have it one. It makes noise when you open the door too. It's very durable, but my daughters constantly misplaced the coins. My youngest daughter would put other little toys inside too. It's a very cute little toy that's worth the price.

fisher price piggy bank

from Smithfield, UT

Comments about Fisher-Price Fisher Price Laugh & Learn: Learning Piggy Bank:

The fisher price laugh and learn piggy bank is an excellent toy. My toddlers love to put the coins in and out over and over again. They love the sounds and music that goes when they do put the coins in. It's one of their favorite toys. I like that you can switch it from numbers and abcs.