3.9
Fisher-Price
Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone

Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone

3.9

Have Your Kid's Talked to Elmo Lately?

What makes a good, simple, inexpensive toy for a baby? Well, the toy needs to make sounds and/or have flashing lights to be acceptable to most kids. And one toy that is certainly small, simple, and makes sounds is **Elmo's World Cell Phone**, a play phone. **Toy Commentary:** This small toy measures resembles a cell phone, only a little larger. When the cell phone is flipped open to reveal the numbered keypad, the two eyes at the top of the phone will open up, and the phone will play a simple tune: "La, La, La- La, La, La, La-La, Elmo's World". If the numbered keys are pressed, the phone sounds off the number, followed by the sound of a ringing phone. There is also an "object mode" that is activated by pressing the star key. In this mode, the numbered keys will each sound off the name of the object on the key, followed by the sound the object makes. The objects on the individual numbered keys include a trumpet, baseball, aquarium, boat, plane, shoe, crayon, drum, and dog. Pressing each of the keys results in Elmo saying what the item is, followed by a sound normally associated with the object.  This phone offers several advantages from a parent's point of view. Most important among them is the fact that the phone is small/portable. With a size this small and a shape that is narrow, the phone will fit in most any space. It's a little larger than a real cell phone but it is still small enough to fit in the pocket of most pants. This makes it easy to grab and take along wherever you go. Next, this phone offers some educational value. It teaches kids numbers, objects, and the sounds of objects. The words are all pronounced so that little ones can hear the sounds and learn numbers and objects. Also, this phone is quieter than other toys. It makes many different sounds but unless you're confined to a small space, you won't notice the Elmo World Cell Phone. From a kid's perspective, there are many reasons to love this toy and chief among them is Elmo. My girls love Elmo and they instantly fall in love with anything that depicts Elmo or that features Elmo's voice. But this is only part of the reason they love this toy. The other key reason is that it's a cell phone. My girls love phones of all types and they are particularly envious of mom and dad's cell phones. Now, they have a cell phone of their own to play with.

Are there any cons to this toy? I can think of only one: the constant playing of the "La, La, La....." song. Even though the phone is quiet, it can still get annoying to parents after a while. The main reason is that the phone plays this tune so many times. Even if no buttons are pressed, it will play this tune any time the phone is moved.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

This phone uses two AA batteries. There is an on/off switch on the back to eliminate the sound completely if that is what parents' prefer. There are no flashing lights with this toy, but the sounds, the educational value, and Elmo's voice make this a popular choice for kids. Add to that the low cost and the easy portability and you have a very nice, simple little toy for toddlers between one and three years of age.

Cute, but not what we expected.

My child loves Sesame Street and Elmo and phones!  When we got it we thought it was perfect for him.  We played with it in the store and we loved it.  When we got home and opened it up, we were disappointed.  Once we removed the tab in place for demos, the volume went to extremely soft.  You can barely hear Elmo, the phone ringing, etc.  It's no fun anymore and rarely gets played with.

An okay phone, but not my favorite!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

The Fisher-Price Elmo phone was a pretty good little toy. I ended up being a lot bigger than I thought it would be, but still fit well into my child's hand. It is bright and kids seem to like the eyes on the top of the phone. It wasn't a bad toy phone. I just have liked other toy phones out there better. This one did have sounds, music, voices and all that. If your child loves sesame street or elmo they may love this. I found it to be a little annoying after awhile. I don't know if it was the sound of elmo's voice or the sounds on the phone, but I wasn't a fan. This phone is pretty sturdy and holds up pretty well. You will find some marks on it after awhile. I guess I can't give it a really bad rating because it really wasn't a bad little toy. I just found it annoying for my taste and have liked the way other toy phones out there work and sound more than this one. I'm sure there are some kids that would think that this toy was great!

Great toy that grows with your child

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

My two year old got this toy as a gift for his first Christmas. I have yet to meet a child who does not like a toy phone. My child is not any different. He has several toy cell phones. However, the others have either been given away or sold at a yard sale. The Elmo's World Cell phone is one that he has help on through the years. As a baby we would take this toy with us on long car drives and it would keep him occupied. Now as a toddler, he often digs it out of the toy box and carries it around pretending to talk to grandma. From a parent's perspective, this phone works great because it is very cute and interactive. Each button makes a different noise and I love how the eyes pop open and shut. Elmo will either say the number or a sound will be made. I also like this toy cell phone better than others because the sounds aren't as annoying! I recommend the Elmo's World Cell Phone for any child 6 months to 3 years.

Elmo, Elmo, And more Elmo

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

Elmo the little red guy from around the world. He has traveled to many places so he says.
He is the toy that is well like around the world by many young and old. My daughter loves the Elmo phone.
She talks to it like its a real phone, and she's calling me her daddy on it her mother and grand parents. She likes the songs and how it does different things, a couple of different things.
It may not do a lot but it does enough, and your kid or kids can learn the basics very much and its good for them. you can also pass it on to any other kids you have or even get one for a gift to your niece or nephew. Even your friends kids. this toy can count and do basic shapes and colors. This toy is simple. small, and makes some noise, but this toy is for kids and they response to the sounds a lot at this stage of there life which is young and free.
Because we are kids, that are the future, of our lives. I would say this toy is great.

Very durable toy phone

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

When my daughter was younger, we purchased this phone for her. At the time, she loved Elmo. I was very impressed with this toy's durability. She threw it, slobbered on it, and any thing that would probably ruin the average toy of this size. It's a good way to learn numbers and for the child to learn their own phone number. My only slight problem with the phone was the eyes stopped closing after a while. But overall, a great product and my daughter loved, loved, loved it.

I could barely hear it!

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

My kids love Elmo so I was rather disappointed when any of us could barely hear Elmo "talking" as well as all of the noises it was suppose to make. It looks a bit like a like a smartphone which is great for steering the kids away from my smartphone. The kids love talking to it, I just wish they could hear it!

Not the best

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

The Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone is a cute idea with a cute design, however I believe it could be better made. First of all, the volume on this toy is very low and it barely catches my daughter's attention. Some kids might have fun with this toy phone, but I can definitely say the my daughter could care less about this toy.

Elmos World Phone too quiet

from Jefferson City, MO

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

My daughter just got the Elmo's World Talking Cell Phone for her first birthday and she loves it! It is a brightly colored phone thats is easy for babies and toddlers to play with. There are two different modes on the phone. The first one says the number when you press them, just like a regular phone. The second mode makes different noises and Elmo says the names of several other Sesame Street characters. In both modes when you open the phone, Elmo wiggles his eyes and says hello, then says goodbye when you close the phone. The screen part of the phone has a picture of Elmo and Dorothy.

The problem with this cell phone is that once you get it out of the package and pull the demo tab out of the back, the volume goes WAY down. Its so quiet its hard to hear. If there is anything else going on in the room my daughter loses interest in the phone because she can't hear it very well. This would be a great toy if the volume worked correctly.

seemed better than it was

from Woodstock, GA

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

The Elmo phone was not at all what I thought it would be.  The voice quality was very poor.  Elmo is usually hard to understand, but not this bad.  I do not mind noisy toys.  However, the problem with this toy is that you could not hear the voice.  I tried to change the batteries and nothing seemed to work.  My son was so excited to get it, but got very frustrated when he could not hear the voice clearly.  I am sad that this did not meet my low expectations.  I would certainly not recommend it to anyone else.  I was disappointed and would expect that they would be, too.

A LOT IN ONE TOY

from Algonquin, IL

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

I BOUGHT THIS TOY FOR M TODDLER A YEAR AGO...  HE DIDN'T PAY TO MUCH ATTENTION TOIT... BUT SINCE HE TURN 2 HE JUST DON'T LEAVE IT, WE CAN'T GO OUT WITHOUT HIS "CELLPHONE"  MY SON ALSO HAD SPEECH DELAY AND THE PHONE HAD BEEN HELPING HIM, HE IMITATE SOME SOUNDS NUMBRES AND WORDS THAT ELMO SAID, HE PLAYS PRETEND A LOT AND SINCE IS A PHONE HE TALKS TO EVERY BODY

Kids love phones.

from Villa Rica, GA

Comments about Fisher-Price Elmo's World Cell Phone:

My kids have both enjoyed this phone. Both girls and boys like it. The Elmo's World theme song plays when you flip it open. Elmo reads out the numbers after you punch them. It also rings while open. Elmo says thanks for calling when he is done. My kids love to walk around and play like they are talking on it. It is very durable.