3.9
Other Learning Toys:
Learning Toys, Outdoor & Playground
Fisher-Price
Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack

Summary

Press Backpack's mouth to hear her say phrases and sing her signature song from the show Now with these exciting new accessories for exploring: compas...

Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack

3.9

My daughters favorite, mine... not so much.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this backpack for my little Dora lovin' girl! It's so loud and noisy and obnoxious! With that said, my little Dora lovin' girl LOVES this toy! She pretends she's Dora and takes her "Backpack, Backpack" with her on all her adventures. The backpack comes with a vinyl map, a toy video camera, a toy telescope, and a toy compass. The toys are all safe and fun for small kids. The only problem is that the video camera doesn't fit inside the backpack very well. It has to be at just the right angle to get in or out, so I almost always have to help her with both. On the up/downside, the batteries last FOREVER! She's had the backpack for a couple years and we've never replaced them. In most cases that would be great, and if you love Dora and her talking backpack as much as your kids do, I'm sure you will love it! Otherwise, prepare yourself for the neverending backpack! I gave the toy 5 stars, because there are few toys that entertain my daughter like this backpack does, and when it comes down to it, that's where I find the value in a toy.

"Backpack, Backpack....Backpack, Backpack"

Kids love toys that are interactive, make noise, and/or have flashing lights. They also love toys that are based on some of their favorite television shows. One of my two- year olds favorite shows is Dora the Explorer and her infatuation with this education program led us to purchase the **Fisher Price Dora the Explorer Talking Backpack**, a toy based on one of the characters from the show. **Toy** **Commentary:**Dora the Explorer is an educational cartoon program and it ranks as my two- year old daughter's favorite cartoon. Not only is the show educational in a general way, it also includes Spanish words and phrases to help children learn a different language. These facts make Dora the Explorer different from most other children's programs and place it in a class all its own. My little girl has owned this for several months now and as much as she loves Dora the Explorer, she is only lukewarm on this product. A few simple examinations make it easy to see why. For one, there are no lights or any other visual stimulation. The toy makes the sayings in the Backpack voice- just like on the television show- but there are too few of them. The only one that gets my girl's attention is when Backpack sings the "Backpack" song, which is taken directly from the show. The other sayings that Backpack says on this toy are nice for helping learn Spanish words, but there aren't enough of them to matter very much. Yet another small complaint I must make is with the four accessories. There is a camera, telescope, compass, and map. There are some small images of Dora and other television show crew members on the camera and compass, but the telescope is plain. Also, none of these four accessories actually "does" anything. The telescope is nothing more than an empty tube made from plastic. I think a little more imagination would have made these accessories much better.

One positive point that comes to mind is the storage space inside the Backpack. This toy isn't really that large, but it features an open space that can be used for carrying other things from place to place. My little girl has emptied out the accessories and tossed them aside. In their place, she uses the inside of Backpack to store crayons and other small objects. She likes to press Backpack's mouth and listen to the sayings more than anything, so she decided it made sense to eliminate the things she doesn't like, replace them with things she does like, and enjoy the sayings by pressing the mouth.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Fisher Price Dora the Explorer Talking Backpack is a moderately enjoyable toy that has potential to be something much greater. From what I know, there are two different versions of this backpack and the other one has different accessories. It might be a little more fun than this version, depending on the accessories. But even with better accessories, this toy would still have a few shortcomings. When you add everything together, you end up with a toy that is decent, but nothing great. Young fans of Dora the Explorer will like it, but even they will have a few reservations about it, making the Dora the Explorer Talking Backpack and average toy overall.

Wasn't a fan.

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

My daughter has watched dora quite a few times and seems to enjoy it. So I was excited to buy this toy for her. It was rather boring and didn't hold her attention for long. I expected it to be more interactive than it was. Besides the backpack, the accessories do nothing. My recommendation: skip it.

My daughter loves this.

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

I bought the backpack for my daughter to celebrate her 3rd birthday. She has not tired of the product and still plays with it from time to time. The quality is good, because it has not borken after a bit of hard play. Possibly the best part of the toy is that it came with items to go into the backpack from the get go, so I did not have to purchase accompanying toys. Since then I have purchased other Dora items so that she could place them in her backpack. There are probably more educational toys out there, but I like this because of the tie-in to the educational television program and because of the price to value component.

Cute Backpack

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

I love this little backpack. My daughter enjoys it, and loves to carry a lot of her little toys in it. The inside of the backpack is pretty big. The plastic feels like a well made item. Sometimes kids toys feel like they could break easily but this toy is well made.

Great toy for little hands

from New Jersey

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

My daughter loves this she carries it with her everywhere. The talking backpack has helped with learning words and it's very durable since my 22 month old is very heavy handed with her toys... Price could be improved I found it a little steep.

Fun play for the youngsters.

from Lakeland, FL

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

The Dora talking backpack is a great way for children to learn some of the easier common spanish words. It includes accessories from the televison cartoon Dora The Explorer. As the children find it fun to play with, they also seem to get board with the accessories as they do not do much. For parents, they tend to be annoyed with the noise that the backpack makes when it talks because it is a little loud.

"doras the best

from Sheldon, IL

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

i just love dora. my daughter has watched her since i can remember. She has had this backpack for about two years now, and is in the same shape as the day she got it. She loves the binoculars, and the camera. The toy is durable, and helps the kids imagine their in a safari, or going on a quest with dora and boots.

Great toy - great price!

from Dallas, GA

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

My son..... yes, son...... who is 2yrs old *LOVES* Dora.  We bought it because there are not very many "unisex" Dora toys.  When we went to the store to purchase a DORA toy for Christmas, we found fairytale & mermaid DORA and several other "girly" DORA toys.  Sooooooo, we opted for this backpack toy.  It actually is really cute & says phrases and plays the backpack song when you press Backpacks mouth.  Plus it comes with accessories that you can actually put inside BACKPACK.  My son loves it!

It's Dora's Backpack, and that's about it.

from Maroa, IL

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

My 4 year old loves Dora, so she loves the backpack.  It comes with binoculars (that aren't real) a magnafying glass (that's not real) and a camara (also not real.)  The toys are very boring...would have been better is the magnafying glass magnafied and if the binoculars did too.  But when you push backpack's mouth she says all the fun backpack things my kids love and know.  It's a little on the loud side, and very hard.  Be careful when kids are running around with it.  My 15 month old loves is just for the talking aspect.  Overall, a toy for the Dara fan, but I'd rather see backpack be soft, wearable and have more interactive toys.

cute and compact

from Harrison, OH

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

This is a wonderful toy for your child to play with. My daughter plays with this all the time and sings along with backpack.  The toys inside "backpack" are tough and sturdy so that I don't have to worry about my daughter getting hurt while playing with this product.  She is a huge Dora fan and LOVES to play with this!! 2 thumbs up!!!!

educational

from Carlyle, IL

Comments about Fisher-Price Dora the Explorer: My Talking Backpack:

this is a must have for avid dora the explorer fans!it matches the diego resue pack.it is very durable and colorful!very cute!it sings and talks to you in spanish!it is a very safe product to have if you are safety concious!no assemble required!encourages imaginary play!it is a very good bargain as well!