Other Building Sets & Blocks:
Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks

Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks

Pros

Cons

Great as chew toys or as educational toys

When my daughter was young, we realized she loved blocks.  Blocks were just a lot of fun for her to use.  We bought her this toy merely for the many blocks.  She could hold them, chew on them, throw them, all sorts of things.  When she was deluged with toys at around 1 years old, we put these blocks away.  Within three months, we had them out again, using them not as blocks to throw, but as educational toys to sort through the blocks and put them in the right holes.  The pail the little toys came with was also very useful to us as we used to pack a variety of little toys to take to other people's houses who didn't have young kids.  This was an easy way to store the toys and use them often.

Not the best shape-sorter on the market, but fun to play with

I love shape sorters.  I don't love this shape sorter.  Granted, I don't hate the Fisher Price Baby's First Blocks as a whole.  As a shape sorter, it doesn't work, but as a bucket of blocks, it is so much fun!

My daughter loves the different colored blocks.  She received them for her first Christmas at only 3 months old.  Not long after that I showed her how to clap two blocks together and she's been a fan ever since.  At almost a year old, she still loves them!  For awhile it was fun for her to just hit two blocks together, then she would specifically look for two blocks that are the same color.  Now she's using the bucket to learn how to take things out and put things back in.  It's so fun to watch her dump the blocks out and then find each block and put it back in the bucket (with the lid off).

As far as my shape-sorting hang-up, the problem is that the lid slides right off, great for baby girl using her own initiative to get the blocks out, not so great for learning to fit the shapes in their appropriate holes, as she simply takes the lid off for putting the blocks in.  I briefly attempted taping the lid on in an effort to get her to try her hand at sorting but that didn't last.  A lid that could have snapped on and would not have been so quickly removed (even by a 5-mo-old!) would have been preferred.

That said, I do enjoy that unlike many shape sorters this particular set comes with two blocks in each shape, with each shape having its own colors.  That is wonderful because, as previously mentioned, my daugther loves to match things.  So having two blocks in each color allows her to hold the two blue circles or the two orange stars.  She just loves that.

Overall, my daughter absolutely loves this toy, so in that manner, it's a winner.  As I know the greater possibility of a toy like this, I find myself a little disappointed.

Great toy for little ones!

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

The Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks toy is a great versatile toy for little ones. There is the obvious match shapes to the holes game, which comes when they are older. But when they are little (6 months - 9 months), they can take the lid off by themselves and dump it out and put the pieces back inside and put the lid back on. As they get tired with that game, they can stack the pieces, which act as blocks and knock them down etc. They can also find matching pieces since there are two of each shape. You can also match colors by finding the pieces that are the same color. They use the basic primary colors. It is made of very durable thick plastic so there's no fear of anything breaking off and becoming a choking hazard for the little ones. It's also a great toy for close siblings to share. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old who play together with this toy as well as by themselves. Overall, it is a great toy. We received it as a gift so I'm not sure about the price.

Just "enough" for the price

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

This was one of my daughters first toys when she was younger. She played with it constantly. She got bored with it maybe a month and a half after getting it. The toy is a good way to teach babies to place things where they belong. It also teaches sorting and shapes. I like that it has a bucket so that the pieces aren't all over the place. I only wish that there was a little more to it, like more pieces. It is an awesome product for the price.

Great toy to encourage, sorting, colors, shapes and clean up.

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

This toy is great for children 6 months-2 as it can encourage many different lessons. In the early stages it is great for general clean up and matching recognition, followed by color recognition and shape recognition. My daughter is now a little above it at 2 though. Also a plus that all of the pieces can be contained within the bucket for easy storage.

Perfect for toddlers!

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

I bought this for my son about two years ago and we still use it. He's four and we still go over his colors and shapes using this Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks. When I first got this box/block toy it really helped with his motor skills and understanding of shapes. This is probably one of my most favorite toys for him.

Fun for kids and affordable. My niece loves these blocks.

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

I bought Fisher-Price baby's first blocks for my niece a couple of months before her 1st birthday. The shapes and bright colors really caught her attention and the size of the blocks is perfect for little hands. Now, at age 2 she stills plays with them only now she will also say the color and shape of the blocks instead of just sorting them. It's a fun toy as well as a learning tool. I would recommend.

One modification!

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

Overall, this product was good. The only thing I would recommend changing is adding little latches to it that can hook and unhook it keep the blocks in the container when play time is over. This goes in my kids toy bin every night and all the little block pieces get lost because the lid falls off when my kids are searching through their toy bin, forcing me to pull out all the toys from their toy bin just to get the blocks.

Fun, Colorful blocks in lots of shapes with cute carry bucket.

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

We got these blocks in a combo set with two other toys. It included the stacking rings and the Xylophone. I honestly thought she wouldn't care for the blocks but surprisingly these were my 9 month olds favorites. They are the perfect size for little hands. Several different color and shapes. The blocks themselves were fun in the bath for her. The storage container is fun with cutouts of the shapes in the top. When she is older she can practice matcing up her shapes. She also liked the handle on the box. I would imagine that when she is older, she will be toting it around with goodies in it. The blocks are a nice, sturdy plastic and so is the container. The only thing that I see as a negative is that the sticker on the side of the bucket looks like it could peel off easily. Other than that, this is a great, simple toy that will probably be fun for her for a few years. I appreciate that there isn't anything on it that looks like it could break.

babys first blocks are okay

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

My daughter loves to play wih the blocks. She never really uses it as a shape matcher. The lid doesnt stay on very good. She likes to carry the bucket around and put lots of different things on it. The bucket is built well and is sturdy. The blocks are built well too. The blocks are all nice bright and different colors.

Great for motor skills

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

This is the perfect toy for motor skills. Very useful for children of a wide variety of ages or even disabilities. This was great for using for my daycare kids and they were so easy to put in the dish washer to clean. It was helpful to teach color and shapes to one of my handicapped daycare children who was learning to sign the different colors and shape because she did not speak. It was very successful and it worked the best of all the methods and tools we tried.

Fisher Price Baby's fist blocks

Comments about Fisher-Price Baby's First Blocks:

I bought this for my son when he was 6 months. He is 10 months now and he still does not understand the concept of the game. He just likes to see me put everything inside then he would take off the lid pour everything out and start banging them to the ground or just throwing them around his play place. He loves the lid the most he would just keep pushing it around following it's bouncy movement with his eyes then start all over again. He likes to bite on the blocks or just throw everything out of his playpen and see them scatter around and listen to all the noise they make. sometimes I can even get him to put a piece inside the bucket after we remove the lid. But, I can tell it will be some time before he is able to put any of the pieces through the holes and understand hoe the different shapes would fit inside of them. But so far we are very pleased that the toy keeps him busy for a long time.