4.9

4.9

Pros

Cons

• Shipping and Returns:

great for bargain gifts (that look expensive)!

"Customer service" seems to have become a thing of the past, especially when shopping from home. Fire Mountain restored my faith in customer service. Every time I've called them, i've gotten a real, live, American human being on the other end of the phone. The best part? Not only does this real, live person speak fluent English, they also know what they're talking about! They're helpful, knowledgeable. . . friendly! I KNOW! But it's not just the customer service there. It's not the ease of use of their website, or the fact that they have tens of thousands of products. My main reason for choosing Fire Mountain is the VALUE.Every Christmas, I spend about $50 total, and I have gifts for everyone on my list. I also get the gift boxes in there, too. I'm not talking about cheap, plastic crap, either. This year I got Peal and Sterling Earrings for all the grandmas, aunts, moms, and sisters. They were absolutely beautiful, and every single person who received them thought I had "spent too much". HA! I didn't! That's the kind of value I'm talking about. It is so satisfying to give someone a gift they love, at a price you can live with. And I can totally live with the prices at Fire Mountain.There is always something on sale, on clearance, There are always gifts available for under $10. And that's just the ready-made stuff! I haven't even gotten into the supplies yet!They don't just sell you beads and string and send you on your way. Every catalog has a project with instructions and a shopping list. Their online gallery of designs has, like, hundreds of jewelry designs with the same included instructions and shopping lists. FREE. There are FAQ's like you've never seen. "Which type of thread should I use if I'm doing this", or "What's the difference between X crystal bead and Y crystal bead". The answers are detailed and specific. I've learned a ton about jewelry making just from reading the Frequently Asked Questions pages.My favorite thing to do is this: I'm out in the world, I see a piece of jewelry I love, say in a catalog. I go home, check Fire Mountain, see how much it would cost me to make whatever it was. I'm *always* surprised. Not only do they usually have what I would need to make it, but the price, even with shipping, is SO low. Almost insultingly low. I find myself thinking "Why do people pay so much? It's silly! Just make it!"Now, Fire Mountain maily caters to the bead store owner, or to jewelry makers. The kind of people you see at art fairs. So prices are much lower if you buy a lot of stuff. But I see that as a plus. They have what they call "Assortability", which means you get a price break based on the total number of items in your cart. You can buy 50 of the same thing and get it, or 50 different things. Well, some things are a dollar. So I can buy a bunch of cheap stuff, and one thing that's very expensive, and get the price break. That makes the expensive item very affordable. To me, that's a big plus, it's like getting free items.Bottom Line: Anyone can find something they love here, and the service is top notch. Do yourself a favor, shop here first if you're looking for a gift. You'll be amazed at the selection and quality. And everyone will think you went to a jewelry store if you buy a nice box. (they're like 2 bucks!) So check it out!

Good beads but I have to pay for return shipping both ways?

I found this site recently when I launched my Etsy store and like their selection. However, I recently received an order where the colors of the beads in person just didn't look the same as they had on Fire Mountain's website.

I filled out the packing slip and marked the new beads I wanted them to send me in exchange. I was surprised when I saw that I had to pay to ship the package back to them and then pay for shipping again on the new order, this was in addition to a $2.65 handling charge.

Perhaps I'm used to higher end sites where a return label is included or perhaps this is custom among bead retailers but I was annoyed, especially since I was buying another $15 in beads beyond the credit.

I called customer service and they were patient and friendly, but clearly policy was set.

Is this standard among bead sites?

FireMountainGems.com - great!

from Chesapeake, VA

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

FireMountainGems.com is one of my favorite online stores. (Note: it really should have the word "beads" in its name, because most of their merchandise is beads - everything from beautiful, handmade glass lampwork beads to inexpensive acrylic.) They have a huge selection of other items as well: ready-made necklaces, necklace and earring sets, as well as beading tools, project ideas with how-to videos, Q&A, plus customer contests. I really like their sales, which are fairly frequent and can offer as much as 80% off - but order immediately if you see something you like, because they sell out fast. Shipping is a flat $5.00 for any size order, and my order got to me in Virginia from their store in Oregon in three days by priority mail. The free gifts included with every order vary - I've received a retractable tape measure, and a plastic magnifying glass - both helpful for stringing beads. My only negative with this company is that it's impossible to get a close up view of many of their beads. All the pictures do have a zoom, but it's only one level and is stationary. Some of the items have a second level moveable zoom feature so that you can see the detail, and this seems like it should be offered for all the beads, since most of them are rather small and have detailing that can't be seen unless in close-up.

Needs a close up zoom feature for all their merchandise, not just some.

Great for Crafts

from Utah

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

Recently, I was looking for some wooden and shell beads for some craft projects for our kids. I was able to find some great ones on this site, and our boys had a wonderful time using what we were able to find on this site. I would highly recommend the site.

The list down the side categorized the products very well, and it made it very easy to find the type of products that I was looking for.

Product Selection
I was very pleased with the selection on this site, particularly on the shell beads that I was looking for. They had a lot of shapes and colors to choose from, and I was able to find a wide variety that worked for the craft projects that we were making.

Shipping and Returns
They offer $5 flat rate shipping on any orders, no matter the size or weight. I was not ordering a whole lot at once, so it would have been nice to get a little cheaper shipping. But overall, $5 shipping for any order is pretty reasonable, and I have been able to take advantage of it on a couple bigger orders too.

Wonderful jewelry making supplies

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

I love firemountaingems.com. I purchased three lines of vanilla rock beads along with beading supplies. I really enjoyed looking at all of the different beads they had online for sale. I spent hours online before I finally made a purchase. My order shipped within two days and arrived three days later. I was so pleased with the quick delivery. When I opened my package, everything was as described online. The beads were picture perfect. I followed a pattern I bought from firemountaingems.com and was pleased with my results. The necklace looked fantastic. I ordered 20 more lines of the same bead type the very next day. The quality is definitely superb.

Very easy to use. Customer service is right there to help if you need it.

Product Selection
The inventory on firemountaingems.com is endless. They have chains, beads, clasps, pendants and more.

Product Pricing
Pricing is extremely reasonable. There is no need for a promo code because the deals are always great.

Customer Service
Customer service is very helpful.

Jewelry Crafters Delight

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

The website firemountaingems.com is a jewelry crafter's delight. There are so many products to choose from that include everything from basic supplies to start a project (wire and clasps) to merchandise to finish your project off (such as beads, charms and crystals). This website has such a huge selection there is no need to search any other website for your jewelry needs. Another really nice feature of this website is the collection of project ideas and tutorials. There are also contests hosted on this website and links leading to the ability to ask experts their opinion on various topics. Another helpful thing that can be found on this website is a dictionary for beading. This can help beginners and advance artists with figuring out what certain beads may be called and different techniques. You can also sign up for their free emails to find out about new products and sales. Their shipping option is very reasonable as well, five dollar economy shipping with no minimum order and no weight limit. They also have a 100% refund and exchange policy with no time limit. I have ordered both beads and charms from this website. The beads and charms I ordered were used to make wine glass charms as wedding favors and they turned out amazing. Both the charms and beads were of good quality for a great value. The shipping time I experienced was very reasonable and I had great customer service when inquiring about shipping destinations.

Best prices for beads

from Texas

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

My mom and I sometimes make jewelry or need beads for art projects. We have been buying from FireMountainGems.com for a few years now. Their products are great and far less expensive than shopping in the local bead shops. I love their catalogs too because they not only show the items you can buy they also have ideas of different things you can make and what supplies you need to buy. They have a huge selection of many different beads and products to choose from. You can get all you need from this one site. They always have fast shipping and I have never had a problem with my order not being correct. They also have a system where the total quantity of items ordered determines your savings discount level. The great thing is that the total quantity can be a mix and doesn't need to be the same items. This is great if you are going to make a large purchase because the more items you buy the more money you end up saving. If you are into making jewelry this is the perfect site to get all your beads and supplies.

Wonderful variety

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

I have been a beading enthusiast for a long time, now, but I live in a rural area where there are not too many options in the way of where to actually purchase beads for the jewelry I want to make. FireMountainGems.com, however, solves this problem easily. They have an amazing array of all different kinds of beads, from gemstones to glass, pearl, wood--you name it. The prices are pretty reasonable, too, considering you can get nearly anything you want in a decent quantity. They even sell larger, more unique beads that can be used as focal pieces for necklaces (or whatever other project you're undertaking). I like that they organize all the beads by material, to begin with, so I can automatically weed out whatever isn't going to work for me. Then within those categories, the beads are sorted by shape. The extreme organization of the site makes it easier to buy exactly what I'm after, but it also leads to moments when I realize I had never considered buying tube-shaped wooden beads, before. So in a way, even the site can influence my creativity!

Best place to buy beads, period.

from Omaha, NE

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

I like to patronize my local bead store when I need just a few things for a project, but I have noticed that many of her pieces come from Fire Mountain Gems -- and they are MUCH less expensive if I order them directly from Fire Mountain Gems. If I order in larger quantities, the price on most items is dramatically lowered, so it makes sense to get everything in one take (just as they planned, right?). I have ordered about four times over the last six months or so, and every time, the box is packaged nicely, and the detailed packing list is handy to keep track of costs. Once, I received a small ornament that was damaged, but for a dollar, it is nothing that some super glue can't fix. I have ordered everything from the ill-fated Christmas ornament to tools to findings to ready-made jewelry to beads made from precious stones, glass, acrylic, and wood. Every item was as I expected it.Their extensive catalog, reasonable prices, and timely shipping can not be compared.

fire mountain gems

from Hartman, AR

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

Fire mountain gems is a great place for crafters and jewelry makers. They have everything you need to make jewelry and crafts. They have a great website that has so much stuff it would take me forever to tell you what all is on there. You buy kits to make the jewelry that you want to make to either sell or give as gifts. They are easy to make the items that you see. They have all kinds of beads, gems and jewelry making supplies. The site has very nice layout. Easy to use, easy to search for items or just to browse threw the different parts of the site. It is fun to make your own designs and to add the parts that you need to your cart. They have gallery of designs that you can look threw and get inspired by or buy the kits to make what you see. You can always add your own touches to the designs to make it yours. When you find the design that you like you can click on it and it will tell you everything that you need to make that design. It is easy to change the colors or to add a little something to the design to make it special or to add your own touch. The website is easy to navigate.

Very cool site!

from Southfield, MI

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

Recently I discovered Pinterest. With that discovery, came an overwhelming desire to craft. Anything and every thing. I've spent a small fortune on all different kinds of craft supplies, because there are so many good ideas, but they're all very different, hence all the many kinds of supplies. I had been shopping at Michaels and running down supplies on eBay.
Then I came across a nifty little site called FireMountainGems.com! They've got some really great prices. Their rose quartz and amethyst prices are ridiculously low.
And maybe the best part? They are one of very few stores that will send you out a giant catalog for free. When I was a kid, all those huge catalogs were freedmen, now a lot of stores charge for them.
There's a feature to create your own angels. And a place to report your own stories of angels in your life. That's kind of cute too!
So I'm a fan of FireMountainGems.com. I can't wait to get my new catalog!

I could get lost among all their beads!!

Comments about FireMountainGems.com:

I so look forward to their beading catalogue. I take hours to look through every page and circle products I am interested in purchasing. If I had an unlimited budget, I would purchase almost every item in their catalogue. Money being as it is, I usually purchase a couple of items missing from my cache in their online store. Their beads have been very high quality, received in a timely manner, and arrive with none broken. I am a very pleased customer and would recommend this site to the casual jeweler or the full-time jewelry maker. Their discounts available per item increase the more you purchase. Their catalogue is well-organized and ordering online is easy. I have had no problems with this company and anticipate no problems with them in the future. They seem like an easy company to deal with and I foresee no difficulty dealing with their customer service if I do ever encounter a problem with them. Good company, glowing recommendation!