3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

Excellent All Natural Clumping Litter that Lasts & Lasts

I did a long review for the Feline Pine pellets version, because over all I think this is the best brand of cat litter on the market place!  I have tried other all natural brands made of corn, newspaper, wheat, but feline pine has the best natural scent - made all of pine only, so safe for your cats, and no dust what-so-ever.

I found with the traditional not natural types- like Fresh Step which claim 99% dust free, to be very dusty, always leaving my cats coated in a film of dust and perfume scent afterwards, and also I would find a layer of the traditional clumping litter dust all over my bathroom furniture as well. So they are quite dusty after-all- if its coating my cat in it, then what is that dust doing to his lungs? and it also means the dust is going into his ears, eyes, etc - Not good! Also cats have a strong sense of smell so that perfume scent must not be enjoyable to them either, because often I hate it too.

With Feline Pine, it’s all natural and truly no dust. However, I have decided to stay with the pellet formula which breaks down to fine sawdust over the two weeks or so, before needing to add more fresh pellets or change out the box.  I love this clumping version!!! Love it' 'so much - although it doesn't have the pine scent as much as the non-clump pellets, it does last and last and last........

It clumps so well, so little goes into the toilet, so one 10lb box lasted me for almost two months! No other litter has ever done that for me- especially not natural ones too.

But on the down side for me, living in a small apartment, so my cat's litter box must be in the bathroom, and its a short walk into the living-room or bedroom, the clumping version- as fantastic as it is, is such a light flake formula, it is easily track-able around the house. When I use it for my cat, it just takes two or three days for my living-room oriental carpet to be covered with it, and also I find it across the hall floor into my bedroom, and even on my bed.

Its a disappointment for me because i love how this version performs in the clumping and long lasting departments, but i still give it 5 stars for its great performance and all natural safe content for cats - because other people who have the litter tray elsewhere, might not have to worry about it being tracked so far before the cat rids of it off their feet, like lets say you keep the cat's box in a basement, so by the time kitty climbs those stairs back upstairs, any traces will be lost, or perhaps you have carpeting in the litter box area, so that removes it from being tracked further away.  I do think the product is outstanding despite my personal tracking worries. The clumping version does not smell as strongly of the natural wood pine scent, but overall it still smells far better than the corn or wheat products out there when wet. I don't want to sacrifice my cats comfort and use heavily perfumed traditional clumping ones anyway.  Basically if you clean your litter box out each day, then odor remains low no matter which one you use. I find cleaning regularly and re-freshening the box as it gets lower with some fresh product to mix in, in-between total dump out and washings of the tray, keeps odor away.

Also to have added help, sprinkle a light coating of baking soda on the bottom of tray (especially in corners or areas you know your cat has a preference for urinating, before filling with cat litter, and that also delays odors from becoming noticable as well.

So I do highly recommend all the feline pine products - they are safe, smell nice, come from all natural product, are completely bio-degradable and toilet flush-able, and wont cause any negatives for your cat, being dust free and no chemicals. So if you too would worry about tracking then try the pellets - they smell so wonderful - a pure pine wood scent, but if you do prefer the clumping one, and don't mind some tracking, then I say- definitely try this one! Either way Feline Pine is a fantastic product for anyone who wants all natural for their cats and no worries about easy disposal of used litter too!

Feline Pine - NOT impressed!

I was very, very disappointed after trying this cat litter!

I was very, very disappointed after trying this cat litter!

While I am a BIG fan of clumping cat litter, when feline pine original first came out I absolutely had to try it. I loved the fresh pine scent and wished that they would come out with a scoopable. I thought my prayers had been answered, but I was mistaken!

It didnt have the great pine scent of the original when it first came out of the bag nevermind a day later! But ok, I can live with that, it is safer for the cat and the environment as long as it clumped as expected. That was the second disappointment! The clumps looked great until you tried to scoop it and then then just fell apart making it necessary to totally empty and refill the whole box! It also wasnt so great at absorbing odor. The final straw was that the litter ended up everywhere BUT in the litterbox!

Not a good value at all for the money! A good concept but definitely needs work!

The Best

Profile Image

from Toronto, Ontario

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Easy To Change
  • Good Value
  • Long-Lasting
  • Low Tracking
  • Pet Likes It
  • Reduces Odor

Cons

• Finicky Cats

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

Great litter. The pine scent is pleasant and it's very absorbant. Very little tracking. My cat is horrified if I buy anything else, like Maxx.

Gross

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

So Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter actually works very well! I hate it though because the smell is overwhelming. I never can smell the litter box with other litters, but this Pine smell is so horrible I couldn't even finish using the whole box and just gave the left overs away. It worked very well to clump up and scoop away though. The amount you get in a box actually seemed to last longer than other brands. Too bad they do not make it in a non scented version or I would switch to this brand as my top option! It was weird though because it seemed to bother my cats as well. They were sniffing around the litter box for three days after I switched to this as if they also hated the smell. They still used it though and did not have any accidents.

Buy a Gas Mask and a Bucket

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

As much as I'm all for environmentally conscious products, this is not where you should be lessening your carbon footprint. The pine/sawdust quality essentially turns into pee slime which is extremely unpleasant to clean. It also does virtually nothing in terms of odor control. I used this once and swore never again. It was gross, messy, and basically useless. If you are looking for a better alternative than clay litters, I would say try Yesterday's News. While Yesterday's News isn't easy to scoop, it's just old newspaper and delivers a surprisingly adequate effect.

Moisture Absorption
    It didn't really absorb as much as turn into a gross wet wood mess. Due to the lack of absorbtion, it has to be cleaned more often, which is a horrible experience.

Seriously, where a gas mask, you might throw up.

Odor Control
    No odor control what so ever. I think this would be a disaster with multiple cats as well.

No odor control, disgusting to clean and messy.

Gave Feline Pine Another Try

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

I didn't have good results the first time I tried the non-clumping version of the Feline Pine litter, but when I saw that they had a clumping litter I decided to give it another chance, because I really wanted to like it. I have been trying on and off to use more natural products, especially for my cat.

If you don't know what Feline Pine is, it's a 100% natural cat litter made out of pine. It doesn't have any fragrances added to it, because it uses the pine to get rid of any odors. The only difference that this litter and the original version is this one claims it can clump.

I had the same issues with this litter as I did with the non-clumping version. I found that even though this was advertised as a clumping litter, it didn't even clump at all. The little didn't absorb urine well either. I felt like the litter box got very moist and wet quickly. Eventually the pine pellets just fell apart into a mush. The pellets created more of a mess then more other inexpensive cat litters. Not to mention the pine smell. It was way too strong, and I could smell it all throughout my house. The scent was not pleasant, and I could smell the pine bedding mixed in with the cat urine because it didn't do a good job at disguising the odors. Every time I cleaned my cats litter box I ended up dumping all the litter out. I really wish I had something positive to say about this litter, but it failed my expectations.

I have tried other pine litters, but the Feline Pine brand doesn't work that well. Maybe if they changed there formula and lessened the strength of the pine scent, I consider it again.

Moisture Absorption
    The absorbing power wasn't good at all. I felt like it took way too long to absorb any sort of urine or moisture in the box. The pellets turned really wet and moist. This litter didn't clump at all, and it just fell apart and fell through the poop scoop every time I tried to scoop anything out of it. Because it didn't absorb well or clump, a lot of the litter in the box got wasted every time I used it.

It wasn't easy to clean out at all because the litter didn't have any clumping power like it had advertised. The litter didn't absorb well, and it made the pine really soft, mushy, and wet. Every time I tried to clean the box, I would get frustrated and ended up tossing the whole box of pine out, and starting all over again. Whenever I tried to scoop the litter is would get messed and fall apart.

Odor Control
    I like the fact that this litter didn't have any added fragrances to it. The concept of using pine to get rid of any odors was a great idea that just didn't follow through well with this litter. The pine scent was way too strong for me to my cat, and I found it made my cats box smell worse then it would have without it. I feel like they should lighten up on the pine scent, and try and use another natural ingredient along with it for fragrance.

The litter was light and easy to pour into the box, but it was hard to scoop or clean out the litter. Even though I clean my cats litter box daily it was still a hard task for me.

• Odor Control:

My Cat Thought I Was Nuts!

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

I really wanted to like Feline Pine cat litter. It smells nice and is a natural, healthier litter for my cats. It also does not create any dust like that from clay litters and that made me very happy. However, when my first cat stepped into the cat box, he tip toed around like the litter, pellets, bothered his feet. He looked up at me in bewilderment. I have five cats and have two boxes downstairs. The second box still had the old clay litter in it. My cat left the new box with Feline Pine and ended up using the box with the clay litter. I left the Feline Pine box for a few days and it was only lightly used. I ended up putting the rest of the Feline Pine at the bottom of the cat boxes and put clumping clay litter on top just to use up the bag I had bought. I think the pellet concept is good for us, but miserable and unnatural feeling to the cats' tender paw pads.

Moisture Absorption
    This litter absorbs fairly well but it is not as good as the absorption I get when using clumping clay litter.

I found the clumping was on the loose side. I clean my boxes twice a day so there is adequate time for the urine to absorb and make a solid clump to scoop. Clay litter is still the best in this regard.

Odor Control
    The odor control is good when the litter is fresh. I think after a few days, the odor control is not very good.

If I have anything good to say about this product, it would be how easy it is to use. It is not messy and does not create a cloud of dust like when you pour clay litter into the cat box. However the clumps are not tight or solid enough for my liking.

Better for my cats, Hard on the Nose

from Upland, CA USA

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

I used this litter for about half of a year. I did like the price first of all. It is very competitively priced. I also liked the natural material it was made of which made me feel good about my cats' health. I also liked the Pine Perks reward system that Feline Pine offers. What was a disappointment was that it struggled with the heavy duty use my two cats put it through. Perhaps it would be better for a single cat household.

Moisture Absorption
    I found that this litter absorbed well, but if I left it for more than a day it would either get pawed over and broke apart, or would soak up into a squishy mess.

If I cleaned out the litter box daily, cleaning was easy. If I did it every other day, it had the potential to be a gloppy mess if a cat urinated in the same location as a previous job.

Odor Control
    I did really like the natural pine smell, but if the box wasn't cleaned daily, it struggled with odor control.

I did like the light weight of this litter. It made it easy to pour, but sometimes hard to scrape off the bottom of the box it soiled.

Too Expensive For The Level Of Performance Provided

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

I originally tried Feline Pine litter as I was looking for something more natural than the usual clay clumping litter. I was not impressed at all.

First, this just does not clump. Not even a little bit. That wasn't a huge deal breaker for me but it may be for some.

The litter also smells very much like the pine it comes from. So, expect the litterbox area to smell like a Christmas tree. It's not overwhelming, but it is there, so if you are sensitive to smells this is probably not the ideal litter for you.

This is very finely ground, like many of the all natural cat litters, and tracks a lot. A very lot. Expect to see this litter not just near the box but all over your home. Again, this does not bother me, thanks to my Roomba, but it may annoy some.

The cats did seem to like this and had a nice time scratching in it. They were less prone to accidentally throwing it over the side of the box, perhaps because it is so finely ground.

As I mentioned before this does not clump, and actually does not absorb well, with the liquid settling to the bottom of the box to form a layer of wet litter.

Overall this does sort of work but it doesn't clump as advertised, and is really too expensive for the level of performance that you receive from it. I really cannot recommend it.

• Odor Control:

Feline Pine does NOT clump!

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

This litter was purchased as filler because my store was out of the brand I normally use. This purchase was also a huge mistake. Feline Pine cat litter is supposed to be a clumping cat litter, however, it is exactly the opposite. It does not clump at all. Also, the litter smells awful and does not work to eliminate odors when my cat urinates in her box. I have a lid on her cat box and I could smell this litter all the way down the hall. I had to try and scoop it twice a day to keep up with the smell. When I purchase litter I am looking for a few things, clumping, an acceptable scent (or fragrance free if I can find it), and I want it to have good odor control. This litter does not do any of the things I just mentioned! Also, the price is ridiculous for such a horrid litter! I will NOT be purchasing this litter ever again and I would recommend that ever consumer with a cat pass Feline Pine by. Do not waste your money or your time!

• Odor Control:

Very nice fragrance but not easy to clean

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

It´s entirely passable because the aroma is very pleasing, but it´s not as easy to clean and maintain like other clumping litters.

Moisture Absorption
    I think this is why it´s harder to maintain. I don´t think it absorbs fast enough and well enough to prevent wastage. What I mean is, a certain amount of the litter should be able to absorb urine into a ball that can be scooped away and the surrounding litter is dry. But here, surrounding litter is affected and bad smells are building up faster than they do with other clumping litters, so I must change the whole lot more often.

I must change the whole lot more often and wash the pan more often than I do with other clumping litters.

Odor Control
    Great at first, but after a few days, not so great. Odors build up fast because even scooping daily does not remove all the odors.

It´s pretty easy in that all I need to do is scoop it daily, but I have to scoop a lot of it out to control odors and add a lot more every day.

• Odor Control:

Not very good for controlling odor

Comments about Feline Pine Scoop Clumping Cat Litter:

This cat litter doesn't control litter box odor at all. Its easy to use but very poor odor control.

Using a scoop as far as cleaning its no different from any other type of litter.

Very poor odor control

Its a very simple cat litter. Just pour it in the litter box and scoop daily.