3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

• Odor Control:

Feline Pine is The Best All Natural Healthy No Dust Litter Out!

I have been a cat owner since childhood, and for the past 20+ years as an adult. I love them and are family to me without a doubt. I discovered Feline pine many many years ago when I had my first cat in my own adult home, back in the early 1990's.

I always as a child was disgusted by the old fashioned clay litters so they weren't even considered when I needed to choose a nice cat litter for my Chelsea.  I wanted something that wasn't smelly, rough to walk on for him, nor had the dust that comes with those litters. Its terrible for their lungs.

So at the time, for a natural source litter I had the choice of a newspaper based one or this Feline Pine pellets.  I tried both, and once I tried Feline Pine, I fell in love with it, and my cat loved the pine scent too.

Basically its compressed pine sawdust - so it has an unusual fantastic wood scent out of the bag. As it is used, it breaks down to a sawdust, so as the weeks move along, you see less pellets and more sawdust. I like this because you can easily see where the cat has urinated (the first sawdust spots), so you can easily remove them daily to avoid build up of smell in the litter box, and also on the remaining pellet side, less stick to the feces, so you dont throw out as much as ones that stick completely.

This version is not the clumping kind, but later on when I bought all those clumping litters like Fresh Step which vow 99% dust free and tried them, yes yes they clump tightly around everything, but the perfume is not great for kitty to breathe in, and if truly 99% dust free, well all I can say is my cat got the total 1% dust all over him everytime he went to the box- it was terrible. Also I found it all over my bathroom furniture too - so he must have gotten .5% and my bathroom the other .5% but since both were coated after use, I would hate ot see what those litters would be like if only 97% dust free! lol

Maybe other cat owners dont notice as much because my first cat Chelsea, was mainly a dark shiny black (tuxedo cat), and I was upset everytime he left the box and came onto the bed for a cuddle to smell his normally lovely fur as I cuddle him, and smell instead the gross perfume scent of those clumping litters, and I also saw how he in kicking his litter at the end, was always left with a coating of the clumping litter dust all over his body -

That is not good at all!!!! - For his lungs, for his internal system, if he would go to lick himself to clean his coat afterwards, nor for his ears, eyes, and everywhere else this dust most certainly goes.  Also I hate how those super clump litters always also suck the moisture out of my cat's foot pads. Leaving them looking wrinkled and dusty. None of it can be healthy at all!

So I am more than happy to have a no clump litter which is all natural, smells fantastic, all of may cats after Chelsea just seem happier to go to the box and leave afterwards looking happy too, when using the feline pine, With the other ones, they often leave jumping out like they just had some dirty or unappealing experience they want to get away from asap. Cleanliness is so important to cats, usually they are fastidious, so why out of some minor extra convenience factor, would anyone subject their loved one to the fake perfume scent, and rough, drying and very dusty experience of those clumping litters?

Another plus besides being able to feel confident your cat is safe and healthy using this brand, if you use the pellet feature, when kicked out of the box, there is less to sweep up while still in pellet form. I love that as Chelsea loved to dig and cover his "activites" lol, well afterwards, so with those tiny sand like litters, he would leave my bathroom floor always covered in it. With this Feline Pine, instead its a few pellets on the floor instead. So much nicer to have to quickly sweep back into his tray!!!

I have tried the other natural litter products out there: the corn versions, newspaper versions, wheat versions over the years, but they dont compare in the lovely fresh scent this one has, and odor control power that Feline Pine has. Also I found that when the corn and wheat grain products clump with urine, it was a disgusting experience to clean out of the corner bottoms of the box because they trun almost into a gross pasteiness and their absorbancy rate doesnt match Feline Pine at all.

Lastly my own suspicions about wheat and corn use- after my mother had to handle her cat developing diabetes at one point in his life, is it smart, to have your cat use any grain material even in their litter boxes? When it breaks down and become moist, is that at all absorbing into their skin through their pads? Since i find those products do not perform as well as Feline Pine anyway, whether the possible affects internally of corn and wheat are at all plausible doesnt even matter to me to research further, because I already know they dont function well enough to bother investigating that concern anyway.

Lastly Feline Pine sells for a fantastic price compared to World's Best or others on the market - at least here in NYC, where World's Best is twice as much in cost to Feline Pine. If it were the other way around, because I know Feline Pine seems the safest most effective of all the natural litters out there, and of course is so much more superior for my cat's health than any of those clay or sand clumping litters, I would still buy it at double the cost. (Shhhh dont tell the manufacturers though- because I truly appreciate its great price!!! lol) Also its safe to flush down the toilet - no plastic bags needed by the litter box. I LOVE that feature immensely!

So overall- I would highly recommend this litter to any new cat owner, and would sing this companies praises - the only down side is that you may be annoyed that the normal store scoopers do not allow the pellet to fall through the slots, but Feline Pine does offer on its site, and sometimes show on their bags, their slotted scooper which can be purchased from them.

I personally just buy the biggest slotted one at the pet store, and just when I scoop out a "dropping" and get too many pellets, it has just become my quick routine to first hunt them out, and put them back off the scooper to one side, and when I have them all, pick them up alone, because once sitting on the top, its easier to get the pile alone without as many pellets being thrown away too. This little extra thought is worth it to me, to use such a great natural litter for my cats.

Nature'sPine Litter didn't live up to it's promises!

*I got a bag of Nature's Earth Feline Pine Cat Litter as a sample from the manufacturer as a test package. I thought the fact that I could flush their waste into my septic tank where you have to dispose of their waste in clay litter is a core and makes for a mess anywere you dump it in your yard.*

My indoor cats ((I have three indoor and three outdoor (that live in my work shop)) did not like the new litter! They did use it, but scattered it all over the bathroom and finally just refused to cover their waste. They tracked it out of the box and the odor left behind when they used it was terrible! I soon decided that disposing of the clay litter was worth having the odor, mess, and happy cats again.

It is one of those things that seem like a good idea at the time, but then you decide that it's not such an idea at the time. If you were to start a new kitten off with the product, it might work out differently. But with older cats that are used to the clay product, it is a hopeless dream.

I did not find the product as good at controlling odor or casing less mess true at all. In fact, the cats seemed to "try" to get it out of their litter box! I found myself vacuuming the bathroom almost everyday to keep the mess cleaned up. I am a 60 year old man that lives alone, except for my personal care provider, and am disabled with chronic pain. My care provider did not mind helping keep the litter boxes clean as she has one cat of her own, but it did not take long before she let me know that if I insisted in using this product that she had better things to do than helping me keep my bathroom vacuumed every day! As I depend on her to clean, cook, and make sure I take my meds on time everyday, I soon made the decission that trying any longer to train my cats to use this new product was not worth the hassel!

I would not reccommend this product to anyone.

Feline Pine cat litter

Profile Image

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

After my cats surgery we tried a few natural litters this being one of them. I just do not like natural litters. It says the pine naturally gets rid of odors but I do not feel like it does. I could smell after my cat used it on another floor. Not too mention that it is really hard to scoop out urine using this litter. There is no clumping at all and when my cat kicked the litter up to cover his mess he ended up just moving his mess all over the place. The only things I liked about this litter are no dust and very little tracking.

Moisture Absorption
It absorbs the moisture just fine.

It was almost impossible for me to scoop out every urine soaked piece in the litter box. I ended up having to dump it all out and that just wasted money.

Odor Control
It has a pine tree scent, for me it did not cover up the scent enough.

This is dust free so pouring into the litter box was really easy. That is one thing I liked about this cat litter. Little tracking too since this did not stick to his paws as much.

• Odor Control:

Great idea but needs a lot of improvement.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I wanted to try out the Feline Pine Cat Litter because I was recommended to use it by a few ladies at my gym who like it for their cats.
If you don't know what the Feline Pine is, it's a 100% natural pine pellet cat litter, that doesn't have any chemicals, fragrances, or additives in it. It's supposed to absorb the moisture faster then a regular cat litter does.
I really wanted to like this litter because it's all natural and healthier to use, but I wasn't a fan of it and neither was my cat Oreo.
The pellets did absorb the moisture but when they got wet they crumpled up and turned into a wet and hard to clean powder. It didn't clump like regular cat litter does. It made it much more complicated to clean, and not only that but the pine smell was unbearable. It smelled more like a pine hamster bedding, and didn't do a good job at all of getting rid of the cat odors. You could definitely tell that there was a litter box in my house and it was awful. My cat hated using her litter box, and would even try to kick out of the pine which made a huge mess.
I ended up switching back to regular old clumping cat litter, and now you can't smell anything in my house or tell that there is a litter box there. I really wanted to like the Feline Pine but I was very disappointed in it.
Not only that but I found that the Pine litter was too expensive for what kind of product I was getting.

Moisture Absorption
The pellets absorb all of the moisture but that causes them to break down and turn into a mushy powder, and the box turns into a mess. When the pellets absorb the moisture it releases a pine scent but it's too strong and not pleasant. I feel like it tried to mask the odors with the pine but it doesn't help at all.

The pellets fall apart and turn into a weird and wet powder like substance making it hard to scoop and clean then regular cat litter. It was a hassle and every time I cleaned the box I felt like I was completely wasting all of the litter and pellets. It takes a very long time to clean with this litter, and I don't always have the time to clean it completely.

Odor Control
This litter has the worst odor control out of all the litters I've tried, not only does it still smell like cat pee and poop but it gives the nice added touch of smelling like a hamster cage. It leaves my house smelling like strong pine bedding, and my cat didn't like using her box because of the strong scent.

It's easy to dump the pellets into the litter box, and it isn't irritating because there is no dust. But the pellets break down when they are used making it hard to clean the box without throwing away the whole box of litter. I feel like I waste a whole bag because I have to throw away the box of litter every time my cat uses it. I can't imagine what this would be like with multiple cats using it.

Gerat litter

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I switched to this litter after I was tired of the smell, dust and disgusting nature of regular clumping litter. After a few other brands we tried the Feline Pine and have used it for a few years now. The cats had no issue transitioning from one litter to the other, which is sometimes a concern.

Perfect job!

Just dump and fill the litter box, easy as pie.

Odor Control
People don't know we have cats. Except for the four cats that greet you at the door begging for a petting! It does a great job and just lends a faint pine wood smell if you get close enough to it.

Simply dump into a trash bag and refill the litter box, I am not sure how much simpler you could ask for! The pellets break down and turn to dust when they absorb moisture, so it is really easy to know when you need to change the litter. The larger bags work perfect for my multiple cat household, but they also have smaller bags to make it easier for a one or two cat house.

• Odor Control:

Better for one or two cat homes

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I have used this cat litter off and on for at least the last few years. I usually buy it when it is on sale and/or my current litter is not working and I get frustrated. It does have its positive benefits. I have found that it works better on a one or two cat household than a home that has three or more cats. I use it in the Tidy Cats Breeze system that I found on sale, because it is cheaper and works just as well as that litter. The pellets are the right size for that. I also like that there is virtually no dust when poring into the litter box, which I do appreciate. I have also never had a cat reject using it, which is also a plus. The one thing that is not so great is odor control is not perfect, even when using the pan I use. I also don't like scooping it because it seems I get just as much good pellets as ones that need to be discarded, so I use more faster. I would recommend this for all cat owners, but mainly for one or two cat families, but I am still on the lookout for the orefect litter.

• Odor Control:

all natrual ingredient but it tracks badly

from Westland, MI

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I was so excited to try out this product for my cat however after the first time my cat used the Feline pine, I had to clean after her. It left a lot of litter on the carpet, on the couch, on the bed and wherever she went.
I enjoy not suffocate my cat and myself but I do not love to clean after her EVERY single time she used it.
Plus there is not way to scoop.

Not something I'd repurchase

from Chesterfield, MO

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I decided to try this Feline Pine Cat Litter because I feel guilty about how the environment is affected by the clay cat litter I usually use. I thought the pine based cat litter would be better for the environment. I also thought maybe it would have a very pleasant, piney scent that would counteract the smell of a litter box. My cat sniffed around the box after I'd made the switch. He didn't seem all that enthralled by the smell of the new litter. When he used it, he also seemed to be a little bothered by the feeling of the litter on his paws. After he used the box, I didn't feel like the litter did a very good job of controlling the odor. When I walked by the box I would notice more of an odor than I usually do with my regular litter. When I went to scoop the box (which I do once or twice daily), I was not pleased by the clumping qualities of this litter. It seemed like the moisture was not absorbed into the litter, but rather sank to the bottom of the litter box. As a result, it was impossible to get the soiled litter out of the box. Guess I'll stick to my clay based litter.

Great For Cats, Ferrets And Guinea Pigs

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

When I first started out with rats and mice as pets I used hay and shredded pine as bedding; when I started reading about the ill effects that pine could have on their respiration system I started using natural bedding. Feline Pine Original Cat Litter is a pellet style litter that is absorbent; it does a great job of controlling urine smells if you have multiple cats or animals that share a litter box.

With the guinea pigs I had to work this in to their litter boxes and litter pans; it resembles some of the dry pellet food that they eat but I have never had a problem with them eating the litter. For the ferrets I have this in their litter pan in their habitat but put a thin layer of shredded paper over it as they do not like the feel of the pellets on their paws.

This is sold in a couple different sized bags; I change all of the litter boxes every three days (I check them daily and change them more often when needed). When I get the larger bags when they are on sale I keep it in a metal garbage can in the garage; when I need it I scoop it out into a bucket and fill the litter boxes when they are clean and dry.

When I have used this with cats that have been dropped off (abandoned) ay my house it has worked great if they are used to using an indoor litter pan; if they are used to going outside in the grass then they won't use a litter pan regardless of what type of litter is being used. There's no scent added to this; some litter products have a floral scent added to them to mask urine and feces but that can lead to breathing problems for small animals.

Just plain awful.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

We have two cats and they are always stinking up the litter box and when I saw this and that it was all natural and had a pine scent I thought that maybe this would work good and cover up some of the urine and feces smells and keep my bathroom smelling more like pine trees than a dirty old litter box. This is not like your typical litter which is nice, it does not produce any dust or anything and it is relatively light weight compared to normal kitty litter. It has a decent smell when you first put it in there, it does smell a lot like a pine tree, but it is not very nice to smell. As soon as the first cat used the box, I knew that this was not going to work. Now not only did my bathroom smell like bad pine trees, now it smelled like bad pine trees that had been covered in urine. It does not cover up any of the urine smells at all! It absorbs the urine fast, but the smell just will not go away and it is horrible. It filled the house and I never used anymore of this at all.

• Odor Control:

Wonderful concept, but cats won't use it

from Concord, NC

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

After trying to find the perfect litter for my three indoor cats, I came across Feline Pine and decided to give it a try. It had a pleasant enough scent, and I liked that it was natural and dust free. I was happy with the product. My cats, however, were not as pleased with the new option.

Despite trying a transition period from the old litter to the new, they would just not adapt to the Feline Pine litter. I'm not sure if it was the texture, the scent, or just that it was something new, but they refused to use it and started to have accidents outside of their litter boxes.

If your cats are less reluctant about change, maybe it will work for you. It's not a bad litter or product from what I can tell, but from my own personal experience, it's not something a cat acclimates to easily. The pellets are too large for them, I think.

I was curious as to how the litter would work if my cats were to use it, so I wet a small area of the litter. It expanded nicely but did not scoop well at all. It turned mushy and fell apart when I tried to scoop it out.

Great idea in theory, but it just didn't deliver.

Recommended by my Breeder

Comments about Feline Pine Original Cat Litter:

I am a fairly new cat mom to a Savannah cat and this litter was recommended to me by my breeder. Honestly, I would not even consider trying anything other than natural at this point because I feel that there are so many benefits to a natural and biodegradable choice. I scoop every day; the poo is easily scoop-able and can be flushed right down the toilet, which is very convenient for me. The pee makes the liter turn into a powder/ heavy dust, so it cannot really be flushed or thrown out easily but it does seem to settle toward the bottom of the litter box when I'm panning and does not seem to bother the cat. It also does not get into the air which is easy on my allergies (even when I'm pouring from the bag) and there is no fragrance which I prefer. There is no ammonia scent or odor released, so my house always smells cat free. The pine pellets are large enough that even with his long legs, my Savannah does not kick out much liter- maybe a few pieces a week (and when he does, it is so easy to clean up). I change the whole box about once a week- one thing I do not like is that the pine pellets are very heavy.

Very easy, you just have to scoop it up. This is not a clumping litter- the pee soaks into the pine and it becomes a heavy dust that settles at the bottom of the litter box and the poo is scooped and thrown out.

Odor Control
As long as he does his job covering, there is little to no odor or ammonia.

Scooping and maintaining cleanliness is great but I deducted a few points because it is so heavy (I have a bad back and cannot lift very well)